What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking for trip recomendations around San Diego (1 Viewer)

Drunken Cowboy

Footballguy
I will be in San Diego for work in early April. My girlfriend is going to come out for a few days after I am done. I have been to San Diego several times and will have just spent a week there. I am thinking I would like to get out of town a bit for at least a day or 2. I am looking for some good ideas for fun things to do in the area. Any good ideas?

What are you looking for ?

Places to drink

Places to eat

Places to hike/explore

Places to see

Activities.

Hookers/blow

You could hike some scenic trails at places like Torre Pines. Of course there are tons of dinner options, drinking options, nightlife activity in the Gaslamp district. Probably a bit cold, but La Jolla offers some good kayaking, snorkeling, beaches or just go see the seals hanging out and walk around the shops. You could run up to LA and do something like visit The Getty museum, probably less than 2 hours assuming you don't get hung up in traffic too badly. Catch a Padres or Angels or Dodgers game.

Will be in San Diego (hard rock gaslamp) next wed>>sun with the GF for work. Looking toward bumming around on garnet in PB one night for sure.

where are you staying DC, and what do you like to do?
I will be in the gaslight area during the meeting. I haven't booked anything after. I could stay there, but would be interested in something new.

Live music, outdoors activities and drinking all all major interests.

I will be in San Diego for work in early April. My girlfriend is going to come out for a few days after I am done. I have been to San Diego several times and will have just spent a week there. I am thinking I would like to get out of town a bit for at least a day or 2. I am looking for some good ideas for fun things to do in the area. Any good ideas?
What dates? The Padres are home for much of April; even if you're not a huge baseball fan Petco is a great stadium and I'd put Petco's food and micro-brew selection up against any stadium in MLB. If "early April" means the first week, the season opening series against the hated Dodgers is an awesome way to spend an evening.

I can recommend restaurants if you like to eat well, and a few dive bars, but I'm not a club guy these days so maybe Maurile can help there. There are tap rooms everywhere - I highly recommend the Ballast Point Tap room in little Italy if you like their stuff. They often have 4-5 different versions of Sculpin on tap that they don't bottle.

What's your music genre? Belly Up in Solana Beach is the best local venue in the area, IMO. There's a House of Blues downtown. The North Park Observatory has been getting some really great talent lately. Sleep Train Arena in Chula Vista gets a lot of larger bands that can draw 10k+. Lots of smaller venues as well if your tastes are off the beaten path: google Casbah, Winston's OB.

Coronado Island has nice views and is very relaxing. You can take the Ferry from downtown. Ferry drop off area and the Hotel del Coronado area on the south west side of the island is very nice.

Coronado Island has nice views and is very relaxing. You can take the Ferry from downtown. Ferry drop off area and the Hotel del Coronado area on the south west side of the island is very nice.
There's also a shipwreck that's been recently revealed be el nino there on the shore.

A "sin ship" that sank in the 30's.

What dates? The Padres are home for much of April; even if you're not a huge baseball fan Petco is a great stadium and I'd put Petco's food and micro-brew selection up against any stadium in MLB. If "early April" means the first week, the season opening series against the hated Dodgers is an awesome way to spend an evening.

I can recommend restaurants if you like to eat well, and a few dive bars, but I'm not a club guy these days so maybe Maurile can help there. There are tap rooms everywhere - I highly recommend the Ballast Point Tap room in little Italy if you like their stuff. They often have 4-5 different versions of Sculpin on tap that they don't bottle.

What's your music genre? Belly Up in Solana Beach is the best local venue in the area, IMO. There's a House of Blues downtown. The North Park Observatory has been getting some really great talent lately. Sleep Train Arena in Chula Vista gets a lot of larger bands that can draw 10k+. Lots of smaller venues as well if your tastes are off the beaten path: google Casbah, Winston's OB.
Agree with all... Petco is awesome... Beer is awesome.... Belly Up is awesome.

Have a great trip.

I will probably go to game 2 or 3 of the Dodgers series. I like to eat well. Dive bars are fun. I am too old for clubs and didn't like them when I was younger.

Belly Up looks promising. I might think about Moe at NPO.

Anything out of town that is worth doing?

I am only an hour from the beach, so beach vacations don't appeal that much to me.

Wife and I are coming with a couple friends in July. Easy access to recreational drugs would be good. Any recs?

We always go to La Jolla Cove. It's an awesome place to walk around, shop and eat. And it's close by.

Wife and I are coming with a couple friends in July. Easy access to recreational drugs would be good. Any recs?
Real or italk? Asking for a friend
Um, real. Staying for five days in Mission Bay ares.
Used to know a guy who owned a bar and go cart track in cabo and used it as an excuse to run considerable amounts back to PB but this was the better part of a decade ago. Had a great selection of tequilas (70-80 bottles) too. Last time I hung out I was "randomly" flagged for a search on my flight back the next morning :lol:

I'm in Mission Valley right now for a quick work trip. I haven't had the opportunity to tour the town but realized it's a very difficult city to drive in. I regret renting a car since normally I take taxis when I travel for work. It's my first time here and I initially wanted to go downtown to explore but heard its marti gras nd it gets crazy. So I went out with the work people at Gordon Biersch ?. Maybe I'll have a more local experience next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been to SD a couple times for work. Feel like I know a little about the city.

The house we rented is great. Looking forward to having more time to explore.

Everything is pretty much awesome. Gas lamp and petco, Torrey if you're a golfer, grab a beer and some shrimp tacos with gunz at ocean beach, stone, la jolla.

San Diego rules.

I'm in Mission Valley right now for a quick work trip. I haven't had the opportunity to tour the town but realized it's a very difficult city to drive in. I regret renting a car since normally I take taxis when I travel for work. It's my first time here and I initially wanted to go downtown to explore but heard its marti gras nd it gets crazy. So I went out with the work people at Gordon Biersch . Maybe I'll have a more local experience next time.
Shame on you for not reaching out!

If you have already been on a brewery tour at Stone you may want to consider this instead:

http://www.stonelibertystation.com/

They have all of Stone's beers plus many more of the top California beers on tap. There is a great outdoor patio and even a bocce ball court.

We stayed in Little Italy at a nice airbnb 2 years ago and the Saturday morning farmer's market was literally out our front door. Less than 100 feet away were restaurants, bars, and shops for entertainment. The food was great and the night time crowds were not as bro'd out as some of the Gaslamp and PB bars. If you are not concerned with picking up drunk skanks the Little Italy vibe might be more your speed.

You really can't go wrong in San Diego, there is so much to do and the weather and scenery are tops in the country.

I will probably go to game 2 or 3 of the Dodgers series. I like to eat well. Dive bars are fun. I am too old for clubs and didn't like them when I was younger.

Belly Up looks promising. I might think about Moe at NPO.

Anything out of town that is worth doing?
Let me know if you go to moe. I may be there - would be cool to share a beer at setbreak.

If you have already been on a brewery tour at Stone you may want to consider this instead:

http://www.stonelibertystation.com/

They have all of Stone's beers plus many more of the top California beers on tap. There is a great outdoor patio and even a bocce ball court.

We stayed in Little Italy at a nice airbnb 2 years ago and the Saturday morning farmer's market was literally out our front door. Less than 100 feet away were restaurants, bars, and shops for entertainment. The food was great and the night time crowds were not as bro'd out as some of the Gaslamp and PB bars. If you are not concerned with picking up drunk skanks the Little Italy vibe might be more your speed.

You really can't go wrong in San Diego, there is so much to do and the weather and scenery are tops in the country.
Had dinner in Little Italy tonight. I live 1 mile from Stone Liberty Station; that back patio is ####### awesome at night.

Are any of the local wineries decent?
Most definitely. Head up to Temecula. Hour north of downtown SD.
Holla if you hit Temecula.Wineries and old town are a good night.
Based on OP's board name/avatar maybe he'd dig the Stampede. Been a decade since I've been there, does it suck now? Or did it always suck? :oldunsure:
Not my scene...I usually hit some of the clubs. But when I feel like being chill...I'll hit Lil's for great food and drinks.

Users who are viewing this thread