What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 Chicago Bears Thread (1 Viewer)

The Tick

Footballguy
And with my 1000th post, I give you the 2016 Chicago Bears thread.

They have been pretty quiet lately, no pressers at the Senior Bowl, and really no moves or news coming out of them so far. Hopefully we'll see that change in the next couple weeks, as I'd like to see some moves happen before FA.

Biggest issues between now and then:

Getting Alshon signed or tagged

I'd like to see or hear something about Forte before FA starts, either a decision to part, a decision to let him test the waters, or a decision that we've decided to part ways. My personal preference is to have him signed to sensible contract, but that may not be possible.

Signing Tracy (whoops not Joey) Porter, not the greatest corner, but played well in our D last year and really what else we got?? Hopefully we can put something out there that he takes before FA starts and we need to scramble.

Anyone else we need to get signed? Probably some of the defensive guys coming off one years that preformed pretty well. Jenkins, Unrein, Acho?

After that we can really start to have a picture of what we need, and a better idea of who will be available once FA starts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe you mean Tracy Porter who plays CB for the Bears. Joey Porter was a LB and is a coach now.

As for FA they need to sign Jeffery and if possible sign Forte and Bennett but it's very unlikely they will get all three. Jeffery is the priority though.

I'd love to see them try to sign Trevathan from the Broncos and possibly another WR like Travis Benjamin.

Depending on how FA goes the draft needs to be mostly focused on defense. They should be drafting the best player available pretty much. Tops needs are ILB, DL and CB. First pick most likely will be defense but if they did go offense it should be OT or QB. I could see them possibly drafting another WR or RB or both in the later rounds.

New thread same old story. Ohhh and John Fox watching the Broncos win a SB must have hurt. Eager to see if White can get going when mini-camps roll along. Looking at where Forte will end up and what kind of money they throw at AJ (who cannot seem to stay healthy).

Hard to get excited about this team.

Need so much on defense plus a revamping, again, of the O-line.

Couple of Bronco defenders would be great here. Trevathan and Malik Jackson. Will cost a lot though.

Hard to get excited about this team.

Need so much on defense plus a revamping, again, of the O-line.
There's always something to be excited about. Last year the Bears had less talent but managed to get one more win than the year before. This was due to a much improved coaching staff. I'd like to see how the team will do after FA, the draft, getting everyone healthy and being in the second year with this coaching staff.

There should be nothing but optimism. Nothing to lose.

Looks like Forte is gone. Latest news has Forte posting on Instagram that the Bears are not attempting to sign him.

Looks like Forte is gone. Latest news has Forte posting on Instagram that the Bears are not attempting to sign him.
It makes sense for where there team is, the other holes we have to fill, the value of the position, his age and the replacement talent we presently possess.

There really is no reason to pay a high price for a RB on the presently constructed Chicago Bears.

mforte22Despite my wishes, my days as a member of the Chicago Bears have sadly come to an end. I was informed earlier this week from the GM that they will not be attempting to re-sign me in free agency. I will remain forever grateful for my time spent in Chicago and being able to play for an organization with such a rich history. My only regret is not being able to win a Lombardi trophy for the best fans in all of sports. I'm excited about the next chapter of my NFL career. But, Chicago will always be home. God Bless and Bear Down!

New thread same old story. Ohhh and John Fox watching the Broncos win a SB must have hurt. Eager to see if White can get going when mini-camps roll along. Looking at where Forte will end up and what kind of money they throw at AJ (who cannot seem to stay healthy).
Probably hurt a little. He helped build that team.

Probably hurt a little. He helped build that team.
I just wish he had the talent around him to get to the playoffs more. Will remain one of my all time favorites.

mforte22Despite my wishes, my days as a member of the Chicago Bears have sadly come to an end. I was informed earlier this week from the GM that they will not be attempting to re-sign me in free agency. I will remain forever grateful for my time spent in Chicago and being able to play for an organization with such a rich history. My only regret is not being able to win a Lombardi trophy for the best fans in all of sports. I'm excited about the next chapter of my NFL career. But, Chicago will always be home. God Bless and Bear Down!
Classy on all fronts. Nice to see the Bears learned from the Emry/Urlacher debacle.

Huge bummer

Never a more class act than Matt Forte. Showed up his first day as a rookie to camp in a suit and tie, ready to go to work. He's got some good years left someplace else.

Its the right decision, Bears just cant afford to pay what Forte deserves. No bad guys in this story, aside from years and years of awful GM work leaving a roster full of holes that demand to be filled.

*although Forte might have been playing a little bit coy with his tweet. I think its likely more accurate that the Bears weren;t interested in signing him for the type of money he commands. I suspect it didnt take long for his agent and Pace to agree they werent even close.

I'd like to see them go for Weddle
Thought about that, but for his age, I think he's going to want too much money. If we go after any big name safety I'd say Eric Berry.

ETA: Though I kinda doubt Berry makes it to FA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never a more class act than Matt Forte. Showed up his first day as a rookie to camp in a suit and tie, ready to go to work. He's got some good years left someplace else.

Its the right decision, Bears just cant afford to pay what Forte deserves. No bad guys in this story, aside from years and years of awful GM work leaving a roster full of holes that demand to be filled.

*although Forte might have been playing a little bit coy with his tweet. I think its likely more accurate that the Bears weren;t interested in signing him for the type of money he commands. I suspect it didnt take long for his agent and Pace to agree they werent even close.
No arguments on the first part. Losing another great Bear this year, Tillman last year, and now Forte, probably my two favorite bears over the last 5+ years.

As to the second, I guess we'll see what happens when he signs, but I think A) this team is worse off not having him, and B) I don't see him getting more then 5m/year for 3 years, and I think he would have been worth that to the bears.

I may be extremely wrong on B, but I just don't see a team signing a 30 year old RB for 7-9M/year at this point.

Awesome Bear. I guess it had to be done but hate losing guys like Tillman, Urlacher, and Peanut.

Awesome Bear. I guess it had to be done but hate losing guys like Tillman, Urlacher, and Peanut.
He truly was good enough to count twice.

Question: Will the team cut Lamarr Houston? Seems like a toss up right now.
Not sure yet. I haven't heard any updates.
I don't think so, he played pretty solid (not great, but solid) towards the end of last season, we'd only save 4M, and cap space isn't a huge issue for us right now. All that combined with the fact we need SO many other pieces, I think he's here next year. He's overpaid, but I'm not sure we can get a better OLB than Houston for that 4M we'd save by ditching him.

McPhee, Houston, Young, and Acho isn't the worst position group on that D, actually probably the best position group on that D (not saying that's a good thing, but I think it's true). Still lacks the explosive edge rusher, but that may come in the draft this year or next.

Cool, with Forte out of the way that clears the path for Cutler to rise up and lead the team to glory. F me. Here's to 2016. Sad to see Forte go, when he stepped on the field he always brought it.

The Tick said:
flapgreen said:
mbuehner said:

He truly was good enough to count twice.
Lol oops. Meant Forte but I agree

Bushrod cut. Guess they believe in Leno. 
have to give him a try full time and see what we have. Bushrod wasn't getting any younger, healthier or better, and was getting paid too much.

If Leno actually turns into a serviceable starting LT we are pretty fortunate and it's a big step towards getting good again. If not we'll be stuck investing a high draft pick in the next two years as a replacement.

Bushrod not only had to go because he wasn't producing he actually failed a physical, that's why he's gone.

I think Jeffrey has to stay. Really want to see him and White play together, take some pressure off the kid. 

Right now we somehow NEED to get starters at G, 2 DE's, 2 MLB's, and CB.  I'd like to see upgrades at S and NB.  I think we should roll with C and LT and see what Grasu and Leno can do with another year, and then respond next year if they don't pan out unless something pops up in draft or FA that's just too good to pass up.  Pretty much the same with RB.  WR needs some signings, but it's at the WR4-6 level, so I'm not overly concerned there, but would like to see Mariani back at WR because he made some seriously clutch 3rd down catches throughout the year.

If I were to put a somewhat realistic shopping list together I think it would be as follows:

Guard - Boone or Incognito + draft - basically older guard, don't want to bid against the top tier younger guys, then I really want to draft a rd 3-5 guard.

DE - Draft player - I think this draft is good for DE's, and Jackson is going to be one of the highest priced FA's, think we have too many holes to go there, but I wouldn't be mad if we did.

MLB - Trevethan + 1 - I think Trevethan is a realistic shot here, and I don't think he'll be as overpriced as Jackson.  The +1 I don't have a name for, but a lower end starter that could be supplanted without disaster if we get a great option in the draft.

S - Gipson - Big time, love to see them get him.

CB - Porter - Just resign him for two years, he played pretty well in our D last year, it may not happen again this year, but I think I'm running out of room for first or second tier guys and we gotta sign someone.

So Gipson, Trevethan, Boone, and Porter day 1 of FA then fill in the gaps where we can basically.  I think we have $44M right now so I don't think that's unreasonable and leaves us room to fill out the team.

Jackson is a huge difference maker.  Would love to get him,  Beachum,  and Boone.  Build the line!  If not Jackson,  then Osmele,  Gipson,  Beachum. 

The Tick said:
If I were to put a somewhat realistic shopping list together I think it would be as follows:

Guard - Boone or Incognito + draft - basically older guard, don't want to bid against the top tier younger guys, then I really want to draft a rd 3-5 guard.

DE - Draft player - I think this draft is good for DE's, and Jackson is going to be one of the highest priced FA's, think we have too many holes to go there, but I wouldn't be mad if we did.

MLB - Trevethan + 1 - I think Trevethan is a realistic shot here, and I don't think he'll be as overpriced as Jackson.  The +1 I don't have a name for, but a lower end starter that could be supplanted without disaster if we get a great option in the draft.

S - Gipson - Big time, love to see them get him.

CB - Porter - Just resign him for two years, he played pretty well in our D last year, it may not happen again this year, but I think I'm running out of room for first or second tier guys and we gotta sign someone.

So Gipson, Trevethan, Boone, and Porter day 1 of FA then fill in the gaps where we can basically.  I think we have $44M right now so I don't think that's unreasonable and leaves us room to fill out the team.
I like it

Getting Jackson to go along with Goldman and then taking a DE at 11 would go a long way in getting this defense respectable.  Make the Bears Defense Great Again! 

Users who are viewing this thread