What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

​ 🏛️ ​Official Supreme Court nomination thread - Amy Coney Barrett (3 Viewers)

Agree with you there 100%.
Feinstein’s handling of the situation is fireable as far as I’m concerned.  I really don’t think an unbiased investigation could be done at this point.  I don’t think she could take a chance on it being false and chose the best way to score political points.

I really don’t think an unbiased investigation could be done at this point.
It can by independent investigators. It can't by the committee. I'm very surprised that the committee chairman hasn't asked for one. I'm very surprised the president hasn't asked the FBI to do one.

It's like they want things hidden, or purposesly distorted.

Dr. Ford considered leaving the country when she first thought Kavanaugh would be nominated to SCOTUS.

"She was like, 'I can't deal with this. If he becomes the nominee, then I'm moving to another country," her husband said. "She wanted out."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/christine-blasey-ford-wanted-to-flee-the-us-to-avoid-brett-kavanaugh-now-she-may-testify-against-him/2018/09/22/db942340-bdb1-11e8-8792-78719177250f_story.html?utm_term=.00994f7d6ac1
When I wrote the post about my wife I nearly ended it with a sentence saying that if she came forward to the Senate and was treated like this and her rapist was confirmed anyway we would probably be finding a new country to live in.  This doesn’t surprise me. 

It can by independent investigators. It can't by the committee. I'm very surprised that the committee chairman hasn't asked for one. I'm very surprised the president hasn't asked the FBI to do one.

It's like they want things hidden, or purposesly distorted.
If Grassley and his cohorts thought Kavanaugh was innocent and Ford was making he story up, they would have pushed everything back a week, let the FBI show Ford was a pawn in a political game, then confirmed Kavanaugh with momentum into midterms after the debacle.

But that hasn’t happened.  Instead, there’s been withholding of documents, a rush job of a confirmation, and even an effort to make up a doppelgänger story out of thin air to try to discredit Ford.

When I wrote the post about my wife I nearly ended it with a sentence saying that if she came forward to the Senate and was treated like this and her rapist was confirmed anyway we would probably be finding a new country to live in.  This doesn’t surprise me. 
I’ve planted the seed of my daughter considering going to college in another country.  There are a lot of great college ms and universities overseas offering incentives to draw American students turned off by the cost and financing of higher education here.  

More on Ventry:

29-year-old Garrett Ventry, was fired in 2017 from his prior job for North Carolina House Majority Leader John Bell after just several months. According to the report, "parts of his resume were found to have been embellished, and because he faced an accusation of sexual harassment from a female employee" of the state general assembly's staff.

[...]

However, Republicans close to the situation told NBC that Ventry couldn't be an effective spokesperson for Kavanaugh's nomination, given his own history.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/22/gop-aide-for-brett-kavanaugh-previously-accused-of-harassment-resigns.html

Agree with you there 100%.
Didn’t she refer it to the FBI pretty soon after she got the letter?  Wouldn’t that be more appropriate than sharing an anonymous accusation with the senate committee? (I guess it would have been appropriate for her to share with her colleagues behind closed doors)

Everyday it becomes more apparent to me is what this country needs is a divorce. No need to be messy. Lets just agree to split things up and go in different directions. 

Are we sure she did anything wrong?  Or is just the assumption she was responsible for the leak?
Once she received the letter, I think she should have worked with Dr. Ford to convince her to allow her to pass it along without her name redacted. With the name redacted and the promise of anonymity, there was really nothing that could be done in terms of any productive investigation. I guess I’m assuming that Feinstein didn’t do more to try to bring this matter to the forefront earlier. 

From my years in HR, if someone comes forward to complain about a boss sexually harassing her, I’m going to find a way to get the matter addressed, even if the complainant requests anonymity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once she received the letter, I think she should have worked with Dr. Ford to convince her to allow her to pass it along without her name redacted. With the name redacted and the promise of anonymity, there was really nothing that could be done in terms of any productive investigation. I guess I’m assuming that Feinstein didn’t do more to try to bring this matter to the forefront earlier. 

From my years in HR, if someone comes forward to complain about a boss sexually harassing her, I’m going to find a way to get the matter addressed, even if the complainant requests anonymity.
Wait, I thought it was an anonymous letter to Feinstein.  I guess it shows how much I know about this.  

With the name redacted as I understand it. Not sure what the FBI can do with that. 
It is entirely appropriate to allow a woman who’s otherwise going to go through what this woman has been going through to stay anonymous and stay out of it. 

But then it needs to stay actually anonymous, and people were plumbing her LinkedIn before she ever identified herself. 

It is entirely appropriate to allow a woman who’s otherwise going to go through what this woman has been going through to stay anonymous and stay out of it. 

But then it needs to stay actually anonymous, and people were plumbing her LinkedIn before she ever identified herself. 
I agree with this. But I’d also say that if Dr. Ford wanted to ensure that she remained anonymous, she probably shouldn’t have met with her congresswoman in person to discuss the matter in detail and then signed her name to a letter to be sent to Feinstein. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with this. But I’d also say that if Dr. Ford wanted to ensure that she remained anonymous, she probably shouldn’t have met with her congresswoman in person to discuss the matter in detail and then signed her name to a letter to be sent to Feinstein. 
She was told it would be confidential.  She asked for it to be confidential in writing to confirm that.  

Once she received the letter, I think she should have worked with Dr. Ford to convince her to allow her to pass it along without her name redacted. With the name redacted and the promise of anonymity, there was really nothing the could be done. I guess I’m assuming that Feinstein didn’t do more to try to bring this matter to the forefront earlier. 
It's my understand that she did. The letter was passed to her by a state Rep. She contacted ford who wished to remain anonymous. She attempted to get her to come out and when she did not, feinstein released the letter redacting Fords name. 

IMO, Republicans feel the need to be angry at somebody, and most of them (though not all) realize that it’s in poor taste indeed to be angry at Ford, so Feinstein makes a convenient target. 

But an undeserving one, because it’s hard to figure out exactly what she did deliberately wrong. As BigBottom points out, perhaps she could have tried harder to get Ford to come out publicly with her charges sooner- but at worst that’s a mistake; it’s not a deliberate act of malice. 

As I wrote before, unless you assume that Feinstein deliberately leaked the accusation at the end of the hearings- and there’s not a shred of evidence to support this notion- there is no logical basis for anger against Feinstein. Of course, logic doesn’t play a role. 

bleachercreature, I’m very sorry for your sister and all victims of sexual abuse. Yet I have to take issue with your characterization: I was perhaps this board’s biggest Hillary supporter, I remain in general  an admirer of hers, and I do not regard myself as a hypocrite. 

I do t want to turn this thread into a defense of Hillary Clinton. In her campaign thread I covered the issues you raised at length and in great detail. Here is a a very short summary of my position: 

1. Right wing talk radio hosts exaggerated Hillary’s so-called “slut” defense of her husband, creating a false revisionist reality in which Hillary took a far more active and negative role than she actually did. Hillary spent most of her time attacking conservatives in general (the “vast right wing comspiracy”) than she ever did specifically attacking her husbands accusers. 

2. Even so I don’t like the way Hillary handled that entire situation. But I understand she was trying to defend her husband and she didn’t believe he was guilty of wrongdoing so I cut her some slack. 

3. Bill Clinton is a womanizer and a misogynist. I remain unconvinced he was ever a rapist, though I don’t know. The two women who accused him of rape and attempted rape , Broaderrick and Wiley, seemed unconvincing to me. Was I influenced by my politics (even though I was a Republican, though a centrist one, at the time?) Maybe. I don’t know. 

4. I supported Hillary because I agreed with most of her political positions. I still do. I wish she were our President. I have no idea what kind of person she is. I’m kind of naive and so always start out by thinking everybody is a good guy, including Kavanaugh, including Trump, and you have to really do bad things for me to stop liking you. 

Dr. Ford considered leaving the country when she first thought Kavanaugh would be nominated to SCOTUS.

"She was like, 'I can't deal with this. If he becomes the nominee, then I'm moving to another country," her husband said. "She wanted out."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/christine-blasey-ford-wanted-to-flee-the-us-to-avoid-brett-kavanaugh-now-she-may-testify-against-him/2018/09/22/db942340-bdb1-11e8-8792-78719177250f_story.html?utm_term=.00994f7d6ac1
Drama Queen.  A ton of Hollywood Elites said the same thing when Trump was elected by a historical electoral landslide.  Unfortunately, they are still here.  

3. Bill Clinton is a womanizer and a misogynist. I remain unconvinced he was ever a rapist, though I don’t know. The two women who accused him of rape and attempted rape , Broaderrick and Wiley, seemed unconvincing to me. Was I influenced by my politics (even though I was a Republican, though a centrist one, at the time?) Maybe. I don’t know. 
Yet anyone that says the same about the Ford/Kavanaugh situation so far gets destroyed.   Weird that all these stats that say women don't make up accusations and yet two of them did against Bill Clinton.  What are the odds that one guy gets accused falsely twice when so few women make false accusations?

Users who are viewing this thread