Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sinn Fein

?️ Official Supreme Court nomination thread

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

Truly embarrassing interview with Franklin Graham:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/preacher-franklin-graham-says-sexual-183046010.html

First he says it’s OK because Ford said no and Kavanaugh stopped. Then when he was informed that never happened, he says its irrelevant anyhow because boys will be boys and they were just teenagers. 

This is the same leader of the Christian Right, son of Billy Graham, who has made every excuse in the book for Trump’s behavior and statements. And yet he continues to hold himself up as a moral leader and millions of devout people listen to him. 

who cares honestly

• Like 1

Just now, timschochet said:

Truly embarrassing interview with Franklin Graham:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/preacher-franklin-graham-says-sexual-183046010.html

First he says it’s OK because Ford said no and Kavanaugh stopped. Then when he was informed that never happened, he says its irrelevant anyhow because boys will be boys and they were just teenagers. 

This is the same leader of the Christian Right, son of Billy Graham, who has made every excuse in the book for Trump’s behavior and statements. And yet he continues to hold himself up as a moral leader and millions of devout people listen to him. 

something he did

It's also contradictory, Kavanaugh is denying he was at the party altogether. Basically Graham is saying Kavanaugh is lying which is grounds for denying the nomination.

1 minute ago, Matthias said:

They haven't? She didn't write a letter talking about her experiences? She didn't tell her therapist? She hasn't said anything about it in the last week?

Nobody that filled out that poll knows the sound of her voice or has heard from her directly on the subject. Has she released a statement in the last week? I know her lawyer has commented quite a bit but didn’t realize Ford put out a formal statement.

2 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid getting too worked up over every little twist and turn in this story.  But as I think it about, it seems like this is possibly a big deal.  

Brett Kavanaugh has an obvious incentive to lie.  So does Mark Judge, who isn't even reliable to begin with.  I don't know enough about the "PJ" person to have an opinion about him, and I don't see it as noteworthy that he doesn't remember a party that would have been just another get-together for him.  

I do find it noteworthy that a lifelong friend of Ford says that not only does she not recall this party (again, not surprising) but that she doesn't even know Brett Kavanaugh.  This is coming from someone who says she believes Ford's accusation, is a personal friend of her's, and is apparently a Democrat.  This is somebody who has every reason to weigh in on behalf of Ford, and instead she's adding a detail that seems pretty exculpatory to me.

It’s not exculpatory. You’ve never had someone from high school say “Hey, remember that girl Karen Jackson? We went to a party at her house sophomore year” and not known what that person’s talking about?

8 minutes ago, timschochet said:

If her testimony is compelling, very little of what we are discussing now is going to matter. 

If her testimony is not compelling, very little of what we are discussing now is going to matter. 

We already know that many people have predetermined in their minds whether they’re going to find her compelling or not. But a lot of us haven’t. 

It doesn't have to be compelling, it just has to be truthful.

2 minutes ago, joffer said:

who cares honestly

I think it’s important, because it’s emblematic of the way the religious right in this country has seemingly been willing to enter into this Faustian trade with Trump- in order to get the judges they want to overturn Roe, they’ll put up with any tragression. 

4 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

It doesn't have to be compelling, it just has to be truthful.

It has to be compelling. To paraphrase a line from the film Quiz Show, you’re talking about truth, and I’m talking about television. 

Just now, timschochet said:

It has to be compelling. To paraphrase a line from the film Quiz Show, you’re talking about truth, and I’m talking about television. 

I got your point, but suspicions that the Dems are doing this for drama and for damage is part of the GOP's argument as well. If this is strictly about politics then that can be worked both ways, it kills the reality of it. It's weird to me that anti-Trumpers support Ford and Trumpites say she's a fraud. Reality doesn't know politics.

24 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

How about no hearings at all because one party is in power???

From what I see, the party in power is making every effort to hear the witness and Kavanaugh has agreed to appear again....

7 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I think it’s important, because it’s emblematic of the way the religious right in this country has seemingly been willing to enter into this Faustian trade with Trump- in order to get the judges they want to overturn Roe, they’ll put up with any tragression. 

Leave the shark pool out of this.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I got your point, but suspicions that the Dems are doing this for drama and for damage is part of the GOP's argument as well. If this is strictly about politics then that can be worked both ways, it kills the reality of it. It's weird to me that anti-Trumpers support Ford and Trumpites say she's a fraud. Reality doesn't know politics.

Of course it’s drama. And whether or not the Democrats intended it (personally I think it just fell into their laps) of course they’re going to use it as such. 

But to my earlier point- obviously I want her to be truthful and I hope she is. But in terms of her testimony having an effect on what happens afterwards (not simply in terms of the confirmation which may be a foregone conclusion no matter what, but in terms of public reaction) it is far more important that she be compelling than that she be truthful. This is television, it’s drama, and perception is everything

Edited by timschochet

4 minutes ago, Matthias said:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/16/politics/blasey-ford-kavanaugh-letter-feinstein/index.html

One should really ask oneself at what point the straw grasping has gone too far.

You are missing the point I was trying to make, perhaps because I did a poor job of articulating it. This is all about a Huffington Post poll of who finds Ford credible. To me, I find it really hard, frankly darn near impossibile, for someone to make a judgement on her credibility based on a letter written. 

“I was deeply saddened when I heard Dr. Ford’s story.  I admire her courage coming forward.  After years of silence it must have been difficult to share her story.

It’s unfortunate that part of her story is mistaken identity.  I didn’t do any of that to Dr. Ford; I’ve never done anything like that to anyone.  So while I admire Dr. Ford’s courage, I maintain my innocence.

I call on Chairman Grassley to press pause on my confrimation for two weeks and demand the FBI investigate Dr. Ford’s story.  While I know I didn’t assault her, I think it’s pretty clear from the testimony of her words and her life that she was sexually assaulted by someone.  I’m confident an FBI investigation will clear my name and go a long way towards getting Dr. Ford some justice.  It took courage for Dr. Ford to come forward, and the best thing we can do in response is honor that courage and show the country she, like all victims of sexual assault, deserves to be listened to, and are worthy of justice.  

The term of a Supreme Court is a lifetime.  It’s a decision we as a nation should not take lightly.  I can wait two more weeks for an honor I will have the rest of my life, especially if the delay can help our country have honest and serious discussion about sexual assault: how we can reduce the number of assaults, how we help and support victims, how we can prosecute perpetrators.

Dr. Ford, I’m sorry you felt like you had to stay silent for 36 years over a crime that was committed against you and was not your fault.  As a nation we need to be better than that.”

- #### Brett Kavanaugh would never, ever say

Edited by Bruce Dickinson
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Henry Ford said:

I’d be interested to see the Venn Diagram of people who are sympathetic to alleged victims of Catholic Priest abuse who didn’t report it for decades versus people who are outraged by Christine Blasey Ford’s claims. 

Perpetrators of these types of crimes usually have more than one victim.  The corrobratoring statements make their claims credible.

3 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

Perpetrators of these types of crimes usually have more than one victim.  The corrobratoring statements make their claims credible.

They do now.  For decades people treated those people the way they’re treating Ford now. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Bruce Dickinson said:

“I was deeply saddened when I heard Dr. Ford’s story.  I admire her courage coming forward.  After years of silence it must have been difficult to share her story.

It’s unfortunate that part of her story is mistaken identity.  I didn’t do any of that to Dr. Ford; I’ve never done anything like that to anyone.  So while I admire Dr. Ford’s courage, I maintain my innocence.

I call on Chairman Grassley to press pause on my confrimation for two weeks and demand the FBI investigate Dr. Ford’s story.  While I know I didn’t assault her, I think it’s pretty clear from the testimony of her words and her life that she was sexually assaulted by someone.  I’m confident an FBI investigation will clear my name and go a long way towards getting Dr. Ford some justice.  It took courage for Dr. Ford to come forward, and the best thing we can do in response is honor that courage and show the country she, and all victims of sexual assault, deserves to be listened to, and are worthy of justice.  

The term of a Supreme Court is a lifetime.  It’s a decision we as a nation should not take lightly.  I can wait two more weeks for an honor I will have the rest of my life, especially if the delay can help our country have honest and serious discussion about sexual assault: how we can reduce the number of assaults, how we help and support victims, how we can prosecute perpetrators.

Dr. Ford, I’m sorry you felt like you had to stay silent for 36 years over a crime that was committed against you and was not your fault.  As a nation we need to be better than that.”

- #### Brett Kavanaugh would never, ever say

I was reading this about to say how impressed I was with this man.  

I was a bit disappointed it was a satire ?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

They do now.  For decades people treated those people the way they’re treating Ford now. 

“I thought he might inadvertently kill me”.

Surely Dems will do their best to stop a pool party serial killer from getting on the Supreme Court.

2 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

Surely Dems will do their best to stop a pool party serial killer from getting on the Supreme Court.

Yes, they also made light of people accusing priests of molesting them for decades.  Kind of like this.  Good point. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Ford's name is shared with the WH before article publishes.  Someone immediately contacts Whelan who immediately views her LinkedIn Page and then coordinates with a conservative hatchet-job PR firm to defame an innocent man and divert attention away from Kavanaugh.

Seems like we'd better get to the bottom of that before we confirm.  Put The Post reporter and Whelan under oath in front of the committee to find out who told him and what Kavanaugh knew about the scheme.

Would certainly be grounds for Impeachment if Kavanaugh denies involvement and it was later shown that he was in the middle of it.  Exactly how did the WH know to contact Kavanaugh's friend (Whelan) in the first place?

Yeah, this whole working-with-others-to-create-a-false-narrative to me disqualifies Kavanaugh.

In one key call, Kavanaugh told Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, that Ford had the wrong guy in mind, saying he had not attended a party like the one she described to The Washington Post. He and his allies also privately discussed a defense that would raise doubts that the attacker was Kavanaugh, rather than try to dispute that an incident involving Ford had happened.

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/Incredibly-frustrated-The-GOP-s-effort-to-save-13250333.php

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

I still don’t know for sure if Brett Kavanaugh molested Christina Blasey Ford 35 years ago. I may never know. 

But here’s what I do know for sure- much of the conservative reaction to this accusation is exactly like your post: disgusting, ignorant, clueless, and awful. And very revealing. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I still don’t know for sure if Brett Kavanaugh molested Christina Blasey Ford 35 years ago. I may never know. 

But here’s what I do know for sure- much of the conservative reaction to this accusation is exactly like your post: disgusting, ignorant, clueless, and awful. And very revealing. 

Why?  I am just trying to help you guys.

These kinds of cases rarely have witnesses.  Many of the #MeToo accusers (and Crosby) had multiple victims who came forward to support them.  That is what the Gloston Globe investigated when they broke the case about the Catholic priests.

Edited by bradyfan

2 minutes ago, timschochet said:

So weird how people want to make a distinction between the rapes they hear about and “forcible” rape and then they want to make light of the “forcible” kind when they hear about those as thought they aren’t a big deal.

It’s almost like they don’t really care about rape. 

• Like 2

Just now, Henry Ford said:

So weird how people want to make a distinction between the rapes they hear about and “forcible” rape and then they want to make light of the “forcible” kind when they hear about those as thought they aren’t a big deal.

Rape isn’t a serious crime like crossing a border when you’re not supposed to.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

I only see you and Tim forcibly putting words in other people’s mouths.  You guys will make bad lawyers.

Edited by bradyfan

13 minutes ago, fatness said:

Yeah, this whole working-with-others-to-create-a-false-narrative to me disqualifies Kavanaugh.

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/news/article/Incredibly-frustrated-The-GOP-s-effort-to-save-13250333.php

:goodposting: The purpose of the confirmation hearing isn't to determine if there is enough evidence to convict Kavanaugh of any previous crimes that avoided prosecution.  The purpose is to determine if his judgment and character is worthy of the bench.  Pretty much every step he's taken along the way, including that bull#### acceptance speech at his nomination announcement, has shown he's more interested in achieving particular outcomes than achieving justice.  That character makes him an excellent political operative, but a lousy judge.

• Like 2

Just now, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

Rape isn’t a serious crime like crossing a border when you’re not supposed to.

Unless the guy who crossed the border when he wasn’t supposed to commits the rape. 

Just now, bradyfan said:

I only see you and Tim forcibly putting words in other people’s mouths.  You guys will make lawyers.

Oh, God no.  I was just commenting, like people who aren’t monsters do all the time, on how funny your joke was about Brett Kavanaugh allegedly holding Christine Blasey’s mouth closed while he tried to rip her clothes off. 

Just now, Bruce Dickinson said:

:goodposting: The purpose of the confirmation hearing isn't to determine if there is enough evidence to convict Kavanaugh of any previous crimes that avoided prosecution.  The purpose is to determine if his judgment and character is worthy of the bench.  Pretty much every step he's taken along the way, including that bull#### acceptance speech at his nomination announcement, has shown he's more interested in achieving particular outcomes than achieving justice.  That character makes him an excellent political operative, but a lousy judge.

I am pretty sure he won’t be invited to any pool parties from now on.

1 minute ago, bradyfan said:

You guys will make bad lawyers.

I would make a terrible lawyer, I’m quite sure. 

Henry strikes me as an excellent one. 

• Like 1

Just now, Henry Ford said:

Oh, God no.  I was just commenting, like people who aren’t monsters do all the time, on how funny your joke was about Brett Kavanaugh allegedly holding Christine Blasey’s mouth closed while he tried to rip her clothes off. 

No, It was not a joke.  Why did you say it is a joke?  Clearly you are not taking her accusation seriously.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

No, It was not a joke.  Why did you say it is a joke?  Clearly you are not taking her accusation seriously.

I’m sure that’s probably what it is. Great observation.  You should make that part of your set.

Having not followed this closely. The reaction to double down and/or to attack the accuser is the wrong thing to do. If you find yourself doing this, it may be time to put down the politics and get right with yourself. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

These kinds of cases rarely have witnesses.

To be clear supposedly there was a witness in this situation, he just happens to have a history of alcohol abuse including memory loss.

4 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

To be clear supposedly there was a witness in this situation, he just happens to have a history of alcohol abuse including memory loss.

And told the Senate he didn’t want to come testify under oath. 

Kavanaugh's also having problems in his rehearsals for being asked questions.

In his answers during the practice runs, aides said, Kavanaugh condemned sexual assault and carefully avoided seeming to discredit Christine Blasey Ford, a psychology professor in northern California who has accused the nominee of pinning her to a bed, groping her and putting his hand over her mouth to stifle her screams as he tried to take off her clothes at a drunken high school party in the early 1980s.

But Kavanaugh grew frustrated when it came to questions that dug into his private life, particularly his drinking habits and his sexual proclivities, according to three people famliar with the preparations, who requested anonymity to discuss internal deliberations. He declined to answer some questions altogether, saying they were too personal, these people said. "I'm not going to answer that," Kavanaugh said at one point according to a senior White House official, who said the questions were designed to go over the line and that he struck the right tone.

9 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I am only commenting on the strategy of people on Christine’s side, i.e. try to find victims of other incidents.

Edited by bradyfan

13 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

And told the Senate he didn’t want to come testify under oath. 

Hi HF,

In your experience what would be reasons someone would avoid testifying under oath?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Matthias said:

The Moral Majority is neither.

Yes, they are The American Taliban

14 minutes ago, bradyfan said:

I am only commenting on the strategy of people on Christine’s side, i.e. try to find victims of other incidents.

I get it I’m just saying there’s potentially more evidence here than in those other incidents.

Matt McDermott‏Verified account @mattmfm

The Grassley staffer who just resigned for sexual harassment is also the staffer who works at CRC Public Relations, the same firm Whelan used to push his conspiracy theory. This entire charade is tainted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toshiba said:

I was reading this about to say how impressed I was with this man.  

I was a bit disappointed it was a satire ?

I’d been asked what, for me, would move the needle towards confrimation of Kavanaugh.

Consider that my response.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, No One said:

The Grassley staffer who just resigned for sexual harassment is also the staffer who works at CRC Public Relations, the same firm Whelan used to push his conspiracy theory. This entire charade is tainted.

No one is allowed to be surprised by this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, No One said:

... and that’s news to No One.

Edited by Bruce Dickinson
Kudos to Dedfin for beating me to the punch.
  • Like 1

THREAD: Bombshell Grassley/Kavanaugh/Whelan:

A Twitter account @WarfareNavel uncovered what appears to be a massive conspiracy directly tying Grassley’s office to the @EdWhelanEPPC slanderous post which threw an innocent man under the bus ... (1)

Thanks to @edkrassen

for the Christine Blasey Ford sexual assault.

This afternoon it was reported by the Washington Post that an adviser/aide working for the man in charge of the Kavanaugh hearings, Senator Chuck Grassley, just resigned after sexual harassment allegations were made against him. (2)

The man’s name was Garrett Ventry. It turns out that Ventry also happens to have worked for the very firm, CRC Public Relations, just 3 months ago, who helped Ed Whelen make this incredibly defamatory tweet against Mr. Chris Garret. See here:

PR firm helped Whelan stoke half-baked Kavanaugh alibi CRC Public Relations, a powerhouse conservative firm, guided Ed Whelan on a bad Twitter adventure. https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/21/ed-whelan-kavanaugh-tweets-pr-firm-836405

(3)

In the Whalen Twitter thread, which has since been deleted, Whelen suggested a conspiracy theory that Fox News even picked up. His theory suggested that an innocent man named Chris Garrett, who looked similar to Kavanaugh in high school, may have been the actual attacker... (4)

of Dr. Ford, and Ford may have simply thought it was actually Kavanaugh because of their similar appearances. The entire Ed Whelen thread can still be seen here:

Kavanaugh Defender Ed Whelan Just Distinguished Himself as the Stupidest Man on Twitter - Paste Magazine Oh Ed, you're in a whole heap of trouble https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/09/kavanaugh-defender-ed-whelan-just-distinguished-hi.html

(5)

So right now we have direct evidence that one of Grassley’s advisors is currently employed by the firm which pushed out this conspiracy theory, implicating an innocent man, while trying to help Kavanaugh escape these allegations. (6)

All the while Grassley has been pressuring Ford to testify with days’ notice, not allowing additional witnesses and making it a simple ‘he said, she said’ hearing.

Meanwhile, Greg Mueller, the President of CRC Public Relations has gone out of his way to make several posts... (7)

supporting Kavanaugh while he, himself, amplified Whalen’s Twitter conspiracy in addition to his company’s work with Whalen to push the theory out to the public.

Additionally, as you can see in the @Warfarenavel thread here: Unroll available on Thread Reader multiple CRC employees (8)

also stooped for Kavanaugh, while pushing the conspiracy on their personal accounts.

While we don’t have undeniable evidence that Grassley directed this smear campaign on an innocent man in order to take the pressure off Kavanaugh, we do have direct evidence that one of his..(9)

main advisers, working within his office DID! That’s as much of a smoking gun as you could expect to ever find.

It appears that Grassley is compromise and the GOP is conspiring to get an alleged sex predator onto the Supreme court of the United States. (10)

Grassley should immediately be removed from the judiciary committee and possibly even the senate. (11)

It's as if the GOP knew this was going to come up, and had planned for weeks or months to create a false narrative around Ford's allegations and to frame an innocent man for Kavanaugh's crime. Why the hell would they have to do this if they were sure Kavanaugh was innocent? (12)

From the Wash Post Story:

After suggesting on Twitter on Tuesday that he had obtained information that would exculpate Kavanaugh from the sexual assault allegation made by Christine Blasey Ford, Whelan worked over the next 48 hours with CRC. (13)

So let's just recap here:

A media adviser helping the Republican-led Senate Judiciary Committee respond to a sexual assault allegation against Brett Kavanaugh also worked at CRC Public Relations. CRC Public Relations is the firm who helped pushed out a false conspiracy... (14)

theory by Ed Whelen to discredit Ford's allegations against Kavanaugh and throw an innocent man under the bus for the alleged crime. (15 END)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I get it I’m just saying there’s potentially more evidence here than in those other incidents.

I have not made up my mind about this case, as I was waiting for CNN and WP to leak more details.  I will give Christine B. the benefit of the doubt that something traumatic happened to her in HS.  Regarding the hearing though, can we go over the evidence for the basic stuff first?

1. That the accuser knew the defendent circa 1982

2. That the 6 people named had attended a pool party circa 1982

Edited by bradyfan

Since reading this thread the last few days, the "deniers" of these kinds of allegations, I hope none of the females in your lives ever have to report this kind of crime to you. I'd hate to see the females face when some of you react to her as you do here.

• Like 1

It has become clear to me now why the witnesses have a hard time remembering.  There were multiple parties every weekend with alcohol involved: Link Removed  What is puzzling to me is why Christine Blasey continued to go to the same kind of parties after 1982.

Edited by bradyfan

10 minutes ago, Mario Kart said:

Since reading this thread the last few days, the "deniers" of these kinds of allegations, I hope none of the females in your lives ever have to report this kind of crime to you. I'd hate to see the females face when some of you react to her as you do here.

I’m sure they will react just fine, so long as the Supreme Court (and the fate of Roe vs Wade) is not in question.