What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

​ 🏛️ ​Official Supreme Court nomination thread - Amy Coney Barrett (3 Viewers)

I discussed a possible explanation in this post. I grew up about midway between the two high schools and have lived in the area for most of my life so I have a decent feel for the dynamics at play.
I missed that post of yours so thanks for linking it. It isn't a school of thought I can relate to, but I don't dismiss it as out of left field. 

And just to be clear again, I wasn't arguing why she didnt report it to police. My threshold for what I would report to police has changed quite a bit in recent times so my thoughts on that matter have changed drastically. 

I guess I don't know what you mean by "grew up in the 80s."

In 1982, a girl who was drunkenly taken advantage of by a group of prep school trust fund kids was known as a "slut" not a "rape victim."
Ok, so she was the only one who knew? Noone else knew? Noone wanted to alert the police because of the underage drinking, I can see that.

None of these girls that were sexually abused had a brother, cousin, male friend that could be told by ANYONE?

????

I see now he has affirmed what you are saying. My view on the matter was different. Here is what I was about to post in reply to you, which is obviously not the point he was making(god bless the show replies feature).

I find it discussion worthy why a 19-20 year old girl would continue to go to high school parties that had regular gang rapes by the same guys. This isn't like the situation where one time it happened and nobody said anything. That is well documented. This isn't a situation where we are talking about a gang of bandits or a street gang that has female members that get raped but stay in the gang. That kind of stuff is also documented. So definitely not credibility destroying information, but worthy of discussion nonetheless since it isn't something that falls into a bucket of common victim behavior, since she wasn't a victim at that time. 
Until it happened to her perhaps she thought those girls were willing participants in disgusting behavior.  She may not have understood the force or coercion aspect, or truly appreciated the inebriation of those young women. She may have looked down on them, but may have thought it would never be her since she was not that kind of girl.  Only after happening to her, perhaps, did she realize what was going on.  Perhaps.  I am only speculating since you invited it, not that I am advocating the position. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so she was the only one who knew? Noone else knew? Noone wanted to alert the police because of the underage drinking, I can see that.

None of these girls that were sexually abused had a brother, cousin, male friend that could be told by ANYONE?

I grew up in the 80s also. If this happened in my neck of the woods these dudes would've paid. Hard.

Am I wrong to assume that it wouldn't be like that in the next state over?

Forgive me, but I find that hard to believe.

Keep in mind that I really don't care if the seat on the court is filled by a D or an R.
I'm sure an investigation would settle all the concerns that you have.  I agree that if this happened, there are many more people out there who would know about it.  That is why you investigate.

????
Are you unaware of all of the sexual assault scandals that we've found out about recently?  Jerry Sandusky?  Catholic priests?  Female gymnasts?  

How can you be so incredulous? 

Until it happened to her perhaps she thought those girls were willing participants in disgusting behavior.  She may have looked down on them, but may have thought it would never be her since she was not that kind of girl.  Only after happening to her, perhaps, did she realize what was going on.  Perhaps.  I am only speculating since you invited it, not that I am advocating the position. 
We are all speculating. That's pretty much what we do here. 

what percentage chance do you think there is that these women, who have called for an FBI investigation and issued sworn statements that, if false, could end their career, are participating in a political stall static that will completely upend their lives?  2%?  5%?

Appointing this man in the face of these allegations is insanity.
If you really think it's only 2-5% then you have your blinders on because it serves your political motives.
I haven't read all this, but found it posted elsewhere today. I'll put it here since it has to do with false rape accusations. https://qz.com/980766/the-truth-about-false-rape-accusations/

The 2 things I did notice were that there are far fewer rape convictions overtuned due to false claims than murder convictions, and that almost half of all  false rape charges are filed by someone other than the victim (typicallly a parent of a girl).

just how many men and women need to come forward with these allegations before GOPers will believe them?

Are you unaware of all of the sexual assault scandals that we've found out about recently?  Jerry Sandusky?  Catholic priests?  Female gymnasts?  

How can you be so incredulous? 
These weren't kids when these alleged incidents took place. They were 17-18 years old. 

Guys were lining up outside a door waiting to take turns on a drunk girl and noone did anything? At 10 different parties??

Its hard to believe, that's all

????
Again, what we're talking about wasn't widely called "rape" or "sexual abuse" by a lot of people.  Even when Judge's girlfriend says he told her about it, he didn't think it was rape.  And that was years later.  

Told them what?  "Dude, I saw your sister take on the whole Georgetown Prep Senior Class at a party last night after she was so drunk she couldn't stand up"?

So, investigate away. I'm all for it
I think this is where most of us are at this point. Yet it doesn't appear that's going to happen. And that seems like a serious abandonment of responsibility on the part of the committee. How can we all see that an investigation is necessary, but they are adamant about not demanding one?

Again, what we're talking about wasn't widely called "rape" or "sexual abuse" by a lot of people.  Even when Judge's girlfriend says he told her about it, he didn't think it was rape.  And that was years later.  

Told them what?  "Dude, I saw your sister take on the whole Georgetown Prep Senior Class at a party last night after she was so drunk she couldn't stand up"?
How about " dude, these guys got your sister so drink she passed out then the whole senior class took turns on her"

You wouldn't have said anything? Cmon

Something that doesn’t fall apart under scrutiny would help...
"scrutiny"?  wouldn't that require an investigation of some sort?  Or arm chair conjecture good enough?

two separate women have now claimed that there was gang rape culture.  Judge's ex and this new woman.  That alone should be enough to go digging.  You know, to scrutinize the claims.

Really? C'mon...this is how you know you are too deep and in information overload mode.  Thus my comment.  I'm not trolling, fishing, anything.  The sun will come up tomorrow no matter the outcome of this random Supreme Court justice nomination process during a really weird time in our history.  We need Yankee23 to drop some historical perspective.  This is a serious issue, absolutely, but I'm only reacting to what sounds like someone approaching the edge of a nervous breakdown.  I'm not poking, making fun, or anything of the sort.  If you find your hands shaking and you can't type about any news event that you have zero control of, I advise you take a step back.
I humbly request you read Pages 174 and 175 of this thread.  If you have a few extra minutes.

If a famous movie producer was really doing that, someone would have said something

If a famous comedian was really doing that, someone would have said something

If a famous tv star was really doing that, someone would have said something

If a priest was really doing that, someone would have said something

If a football coach was really doing that, someone would have said something

If a US national team doctor was really doing that, someone would have said something
You can believe that these guys did this at party after party after party.... Lined up and took turns on passed out women...and PEOPLE WERE THERE AND KNEW ABOUT IT AND DIDNT SAY ANYTHING TO ANYONE EVER if you want.

Obviously you do.

Im not saying it didn't happen. I find it hard to believe. That's all

How about " dude, these guys got your sister so drink she passed out then the whole senior class took turns on her"

You wouldn't have said anything? Cmon
Did you read the article I posted from People Magazine in 1990?

https://people.com/archive/cover-story-silent-no-more-vol-34-no-24/

Yeah, someone may have said something to someone.  And then the brother/cousin/friend called her a whore for the rest of her life.  Which may not have been all that long.

It was a different, horrible time.

You can believe that these guys did this at party after party after party.... Lined up and took turns on passed out women...and PEOPLE WERE THERE AND KNEW ABOUT IT AND DIDNT SAY ANYTHING TO ANYONE EVER if you want.

Obviously you do.

Im not saying it didn't happen. I find it hard to believe. That's all
Sure they did.  To other people who laughed and called these women sluts and ostracized them for life, and on and on and on.  I really am surprised at how you recall the early 80s.

Yeah, those investigations really have turned out bad for the accusers
Go ahead and investigate, but there not enough here to delay the vote.

if HRC can run for President while being investigated by the FBI, this nomination can go forward even in light of these far fetched allegations, which should be looked at.

I grew up in the 80s also. If this happened in my neck of the woods these dudes would've paid. Hard.
You have some prosecutions in your area to cite, I assume.
I think he's referring to personal retribution.   There was a guy in my high school who raped a friend of ours.  Let's just say nothing was ever reported to the police, but she felt that justice was served and she was confident he wouldn't do it again.

Sure they did.  To other people who laughed and called these women sluts and ostracized them for life, and on and on and on.  I really am surprised at how you recall the early 80s.
There’s a scene in Animal House where a girl at a frat party drank to excess and passed out.  The internal monologue of her date at the party was about whether to have sex with her or not while incapacitated, and the scene is played for laughs.

I think he's referring to personal retribution.   There was a guy in my high school who raped a friend of ours.  Let's just say nothing was ever reported to the police, but she felt that justice was served and she was confident he wouldn't do it again.
I believe you that happened. It was not the norm of what happened to rape perpetrators - especially "date rape" or "drugging at parties" at the times we're talking about here.

There’s a scene in Animal House where a girl at a frat party drank to excess and passed out.  The internal monologue of her date at the party was about whether to have sex with her or not while incapacitated, and the scene is played for laughs.
There's a scene in Sixteen Candles where the jock talks about how his date is passed out drunk and he could violate her ten different ways.

There's a scene in Sixteen Candles where the jock talks about how his date is passed out drunk and he could violate her ten different ways.
And then proceeds to hand her over to the "nerd" who does engage in sex with said drunk woman. Funny stuff!

Mongidig said:
This outrage is all about the anti Trump movement. I think very few of you actually care about the "alleged" victim here. You all loved Bill Clinton right? You didn't seem to care what he did? You all loved Hillary even though she stood by her husband who clearly abused his power and cheated on her.

If this was a democratic nominee this forum would be super quiet. 
False...in every possible way. 

And she's 13 and ends up pregnant. Sarah Holcomb was the actress who played the role, comedically.

Users who are viewing this thread