Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sinn Fein

​ 🏛️ ​Official Supreme Court nomination thread - Amy Coney Barrett

29 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

Agreed.  And I think it’s very dangerous for Democrats that ABC’s vulnerabilities are tied to her religion.  Dems need to tread very, very carefully here. 

They could easily fight on the grounds of workers rights and corporate power if they wanted to. The problem is Senate Democrats largely agree with her on those issues.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Summer Wheat said:

At least it is a female so the women in the country should be pleased.    They needed a female to replace a female.

I am at a loss for words here.

I assume this is simply trolling - given the complete lack of context.  But, I can never be sure, what is trolling, and what is simply poor reasoning.

Yes - some women will be very happy with Barrett.  Some women will be very unhappy with Barrett. 

I don't understand how anyone could think all women would be happy simply because it is a woman nominee.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I am at a loss for words here.

I assume this is simply trolling - given the complete lack of context.  But, I can never be sure, what is trolling, and what is simply poor reasoning.

Yes - some women will be very happy with Barrett.  Some women will be very unhappy with Barrett. 

I don't understand how anyone could think all women would be happy simply because it is a woman nominee.

Just saying it is better than another old man. A woman needed to replace a woman.  No matter who gets to take the seat not everyone will be pleased.

Edited by Summer Wheat

30 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

Agreed.  And I think it’s very dangerous for Democrats that ABC’s vulnerabilities are tied to her religion.  Dems need to tread very, very carefully here. 

IMO they won't be able to keep their disgust with her religion out of the fray.  As far as Obamacare-abortion,  nominees will not admit how they will rule on a case.

54 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I come from where she comes from. Dominican HS isn't/wasn't Georgetown Prep. There won't be a Kavanaugh. It's pure Trump that he went ahead and picked a guy that had been written about by his high school best friend. The flaws were known, but Trump went with it anyway.

Now the issues with Roe and Barnett's beliefs, those will be front and center and I'm sure there will be some ugliness on that front. But Barnett will not have any personal scandals like Kavanaugh, just as Gorsuch did not. My guess is Trump really did not want Barnett anyway but basically Senate and party types hornwrangeld him into it. 

the "picked a guy that had been written about by his high school best friend".  What did his best friend write?  I seemed to have missed this.

37 minutes ago, tommyGunZ said:

I don`t think it will be an issue.  Chuck Shumar has twice in the last week said "God Willing" talking about the coming elections so he must be a believer.

3 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Will be interesting to hear her response when asked about this statement. 

Same as we have been hearing from Republicans since Ginsburg's death: "That was then and this is now".

2 minutes ago, squistion said:

Same as we have been hearing from Republicans since Ginsburg's death: "That was then and this is now".

I expect a more well-reasoned response from a future Supreme Court Justice. 

52 minutes ago, Mile High said:

Appointing judges and EOs have been pretty much all of our elected officials have given us in the last year or so.

Cares Act?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

That won't be her exact words, of course, but essentially the bottom line will be that we now have a different set of rules for a Republican president.

1 hour ago, GoBirds said:

It will be interesting, she seems like a fine choice but you know something is coming. 

And if they do bring it, it will be 30+ days of concentrated ads for Republicans. 

And if they don’t, it will turn off their base. Great strategic move. 

Edited by jerseydevil20
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I know it's weird and shocking that people would share a deceptively-edited video Twitter of all places, but that seems to be what happened here.  Here's a link to the full interview.  It should be blindingly obvious that she's wasn't taking a position one way or the other on the Garland nomination, which makes sense because why on earth would she.

I mentioned this yesterday, but Twitter is a cesspool.  I feel like I have a fairly well-manicured selection of folks who I follow, and I make it a point to follow a good chunk of people who I disagree with most of the time, which helps temper the "echo chamber" effect of the platform.  But there's really no denying that that site poisons people's brains just like Facebook and cable news.  It's a site that amplifies outrage, bad-faith takes, and dunking on dumb people.  You can use it as a tool for finding smart, long-form arguments, but that takes a lot of work.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, bigbottom said:
47 minutes ago, squistion said:

Wonder how many hours of staff time is going to be dedicated to threading this needle

4 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I know it's weird and shocking that people would share a deceptively-edited video Twitter of all places, but that seems to be what happened here.  Here's a link to the full interview.  It should be blindingly obvious that she's wasn't taking a position one way or the other on the Garland nomination, which makes sense because why on earth would she.

I don't know IK. Clearly part of her argument is the shifting of balance in the court. Yes, she talks at length about the senate and president being from different parties and it being an election year, but she does rely on the "replacing a staunch conservative with a liberal" angle as well

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Summer Wheat said:

Just saying it is better than another old man. A woman needed to replace a woman.  No matter who gets to take the seat not everyone will be pleased.

It would have never been an old man...courts will always be packed with as young as they can to ensure they serve for many many years.

4 minutes ago, dawgtrails said:

I don't know IK. Clearly part of her argument is the shifting of balance in the court. Yes, she talks at length about the senate and president being from different parties and it being an election year, but she does rely on the "replacing a staunch conservative with a liberal" angle as well

At the end of the interview, she says explicitly that nobody can really claim that there's a rule one way or the other on how nominations play out.  That's good because 1) it's undeniably true as a simple matter of fact and 2) that's literally the exact opposite of saying that she was defending the "McConnell rule."

It's worth noting that they cut that part out of the little clip.

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I mentioned this yesterday, but Twitter is a cesspool.  I feel like I have a fairly well-manicured selection of folks who I follow, and I make it a point to follow a good chunk of people who I disagree with most of the time, which helps temper the "echo chamber" effect of the platform.  But there's really no denying that that site poisons people's brains just like Facebook and cable news.  It's a site that amplifies outrage, bad-faith takes, and dunking on dumb people.  You can use it as a tool for finding smart, long-form arguments, but that takes a lot of work.

Watch the documentary Social Dilemma on Netflix.  The people who created the software for Twitter and FB are now sickened at how they operate.

• Thanks 1

When’s the last time a single term PotUS had 3 SCotUS appointments?

38 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Thank you for posting this. She clearly states that precedent doesn’t establish a rule one way or the other, but she does spend a fair amount of time setting out the arguments on why the Senate was justified in delaying. But she certainly did not own the position as her own, so not as much of an issue for her to address during the hearings. 

• Thanks 1

Her character and legal intellect can't be reasonably challenged, unlike past nominees such as Kavanaugh. She's also well spoken (interview from 2016) and has a good personal story, which includes 2 adopted children from Haiti.  It's a done deal that she'Il replace RBG. It's not good strategy for the dems to try to delay the vote or give the Trump campaign ad material during her questioning . 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Thanks for posting, this whole interview is good but for any so interested the piece about her commenting on the precedent is at 3:15, and she was asked about Rubio raising the idea that the Senate should not confirm a SC justice in an election year. While it was 2018, it was an election year. I think the point about Gorsuch is inescapable. At 4:09 she points out that the precedents for confirming Justices in an election year are 1. 1912 Taft/Pitney, 2. 1916 Wilson/Brandeis, 3. Wilson/Clarke (WW had 2!), 4. Hoover/Cardozo, 5. Reagan/Kennedy, and 6. one in the 1880s. - She also points out that Kennedy was an exception (as was the one in the 1880s) because they were done in divided WH/Senate government, and then she goes on to explain why there are reasons why Kennedy was himself an exception (it took 8 months for his nomination to make the floor, and, yes, the idea that Kennedy was replacing Powell so a moderate-to-a-moderate made it justifiable). I think at this point she is just laying out the circumstances around Rubio's point. At 5:30 she makes the observation that times have changed, and that presidents have the power to nominate and that Senate has the power to confirm or not confirm and she says it's not clear that either side can hold the claim to be right on the issue. - Actually I have to tell you IMO that snip is somewhat fairly representative. She certainly did not state that Rubio was wrong. Tbqh from a constitutional POV I find it fairly bothersome and weak when viewing the constitutional roles of the 3 branches. Now is it fair to say that it should be a gotcha in the sense that she was making some point in declaring Rubio and the Republicans "right" but by the same token she was certainly not taking a position that they were wrong when she plain well knew she was on tap to be nominated at any time.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

I hope she is treated with utmost respect.

I also hope she is confirmed during the next GOP President's term (or wish that she were replacing Kavanaugh, and not Ginsburg).

25 minutes ago, Stoneworker said:

To quote President Obama, "Elections have consequences..."

This is one of them.

Exactly. Hopefully the Democrats learned that lesson. 

10 minutes ago, Mile High said:

Exactly. Hopefully the Democrats learned that lesson. 

IIRC Obama was a Democrat. Since he made the initial quote clearly the lesson was learned well prior to 2020.

Edited by Stoneworker

48 minutes ago, Stoneworker said:

To quote President Obama, "Elections have consequences..."

This is one of them.

There weren't in 2016 when the Merrick Garland seat was stolen.

• Laughing 1

14 minutes ago, squistion said:

Didn't count.  Might makes right. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

Didn't count.  Might makes right. 

In other words, "the ends justify the means" - even if I believed that I would never admit it on an anonymous message board.

Edited by squistion

Just now, squistion said:

In other words, "the ends justify the means" - even if I believed that I would never admit on an anonymous message board.

Suuuuuuuuuure.  Not a chance in hell you'll be trolling if the Dems stack the SCOTUS.

1 minute ago, squistion said:

In other words, "the ends justify the means" - even if I believed that I would never admit on an anonymous message board.

Also, if might makes right in US politics, this grand experiment is over.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Suuuuuuuuuure.  Not a chance in hell you'll be trolling if the Dems stack the SCOTUS.

If it's not expressly disallowed in the constitution or existing law, then how can one be aggrieved when things go against them.  As I said, might makes right.  If you got the power, use it.  That's the rules of the game now. 

• Like 1

Just now, The Z Machine said:

Also, if might makes right in US politics, this grand experiment is over.

If you mean our grand experiment in Democracy, that is a sad and cynical viewpoint IMO.

1 minute ago, squistion said:

If you mean our grand experiment in Democracy, that is a sad and cynical viewpoint IMO.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. 

Just now, The Z Machine said:

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. 

I never thought I would live to see the day in this forum that someone would cheer the end of democracy and the adoption of authoritarian rule in this country, but I was wrong.  :(

• Laughing 2

5 minutes ago, squistion said:

I never thought I would live to see the day in this forum that someone would cheer the end of democracy and the adoption of authoritarian rule in this country, but I was wrong.  :(

Definitely not worth cheering.  Democracy has left the building and the world is laughing at us.

7 minutes ago, squistion said:

What makes you think I'm cheering? I'm pretty upset about it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, squistion said:

You're badly misreading Z Machine here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, squistion said:

Who's doing that?

2 minutes ago, The Z Machine said:

What makes you think I'm cheering? I'm pretty upset about it. 

Sure looked that way to me after you agreed with the statement that "the ends justifies the means" following it with "if might makes right" :shrug:

If I mischaracterized your viewpoint I stand corrected.

Just now, squistion said:

Sure looked that way to me after you agreed with the statement that "the ends justifies the means" following it with "if might makes right" :shrug:

If I mischaracterized your viewpoint I stand corrected 

My statement wasn't quite sarcasm as much as it is resigned cynicism to the reality at hand.

4 hours ago, jerseydevil20 said:

And if they do bring it, it will be 30+ days of concentrated ads for Republicans. 

And if they don’t, it will turn off their base. Great strategic move. 

Agreed, she’s a great pic for many reasons. Try to treat her the way the did Kavanaugh, won’t be good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, squistion said:

Dems failed to take control of the Senate in the previous mid term. Pretty big consequences, and that was back when Obama made the statement.   

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, squistion said:

If I mischaracterized your viewpoint I stand corrected.

You missed his whole tone, but that's the problem with the written word at times. His tone was indeed "resigned cyncicism,"  as he said. Virtually nobody calls American democracy a "grand experiment," praises its nobility, then cheers its demise. They don't use those words to describe it in the first place. You're likely to get an aristocratic, Marxist, anarchist, or fascist jibe about American democracy before cheering its demise. And that's when knowing the other side's code words helps tremendously.

Edited by rockaction
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, jerseydevil20 said:

Dems failed to take control of the Senate in the previous mid term. Pretty big consequences, and that was back when Obama made the statement.   

Exactly. The people of the great State of Kentucky elected a Senator who was willing to disregard his obligations under the U.S. Constitution. Doing so had consequences. Thanks Kentucky!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

Exactly. The people of the great State of Kentucky elected a Senator who was willing to disregard his obligations under the U.S. Constitution. Doing so had consequences. Thanks Kentucky!

:hifive:

:oldunsure:

2 hours ago, squistion said:

Hyperbole much 

49 minutes ago, bigbottom said:

The sentiment that led up to that started with the ACA ramrod. It was a group effort. 

1 minute ago, jerseydevil20 said:

The sentiment that led up to that started with the ACA ramrod. It was a group effort. 

You mean the bill that went though a ton of actual discussion in congress?  Rather than a nominee not even getting the courtesy of hearings and a vote?  Thats a pretty poor comp and seems like childish partisan games by the GOP.

• Like 1
  • Laughing 3