What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

​ 🏛️ ​Official Supreme Court nomination thread - Amy Coney Barrett (9 Viewers)

January averages -

The average temp in January in Minnesota is 15.6 degrees. 

Average high temperature:23.7°F

Average low temperature:7.5°F

Average temperature:15.6°F

Average Precipitation:0.91 inch

Average snowfall:12 inch

Feb averages -

Average high - 29

Average low - 13

Average precip - 0.79

Average days with precip - 7

Average snowfall in inches - 8
Then the Vikes should play in an outdoor stadium, but I digress.

The positive is it doesn't appear he will be trying to flip Roe vs. Wade.
Didn't he attempt to delay an abortion of a young woman who jumped through all the hoops to get one? The strategy for Rs is to not make abortion illegal, but to make it too challenging to get. Considering those that seek these procedures are commonly vulnerable young woman without resources, slowing down this process makes them effectively illegal. This is not new.

Why didn't she just say, "Have you evey talked to so-and-so about the Muller investigation"?  Not rocket science, but why she wouldn't do that is very telling on her part.
Because maybe he talked to multiple people?

Why couldn't he just answer the question as asked?  Do you really think he didn't recall who he had spoken to?

Why didn't she just say, "Have you every talked to so-and-so about the Muller investigation"?  Not rocket science, but why she wouldn't do that is very telling on her part.
Eh KH has a document, Kavanaugh knows that. The amazingly dumb thing is that when she produces it it’s going to be abundantly clear it’s not some exchange with a random nobody but someone he obviously knew was at Kasowitz. And yet he squirmed like a 5th grader at the principle’s office anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because maybe he talked to multiple people?

Why couldn't he just answer the question as asked?  Do you really think he didn't recall who he had spoken to?
I wouldn't expect him to know the names of every person in every law firm in DC.  If she wasn't fishing, then just ask, "Have you ever talked to so-and-so".....period.

I wouldn't expect him to know the names of every person in every law firm in DC.  If she wasn't fishing, then just ask, "Have you ever talked to so-and-so".....period.
I would expect someone nominated to the highest court in the land to know he was likely talking to a partner or higher up at such firm (likely what Harris has).

Defending that answering and complaining about the question is ridiculous but expected from the defend at all costs crowd.

He just needs to know the names of the people had spoke with regarding the Mueller investigation. Considering he lead off "with other judges" the list should be short enough for a legal genius to recall, certainly a guy that is 100% plugged into the legal community of Washington DC. But you know all of this. It would be great if people would stop the intellectual dishonesty on this forum.

Honestly, I don't get this.  I have no reason to believe he's lying.  Harris comes off terribly, in my opinion.  
Do you think the truthful answer is no? I'd like to think Harris is a prepared person who probably knows the answer she's asking. She wants him to answer it. He dodged it for 10 minutes. I guess he's lying in that he refused to answer the question, maybe you are being literal here.

All she did was ask a question. In a respectful manner. And asked again and again because it wasn't answered.

I didn't think she came off terribly at all. I thought he did.
Yup.  Fairly simple to answer, too.  "I've discussed the investigation with a number of people, just like everyone else. It's front page news all the time. I don't specifically recall discussing it with someone I know to be an employee of that firm, but it's certainly possible." Unless there's some big reveal coming, which I doubt, that would have been the end of it.  That's basically the answer he gave anyway, but he spent 5 minutes looking guilty as hell first.

Do you think the truthful answer is no? I'd like to think Harris is a prepared person who probably knows the answer she's asking. She wants him to answer it. He dodged it for 10 minutes. I guess he's lying in that he refused to answer the question, maybe you are being literal here.
 Did it ever occur to you that he doesn't think he has, but doesn't answer without knowing the names in question?  If he had, but doesn't know they work for that firm, then that would make him a liar if he answered no.   Why don't they just ask the same question at a later date with a roster of names?   I guess that would be too logical.

I don't think it's a simple question.  Six months ago you're at a bar and news about the Mueller investigation in on TV.  The guy next you says, "this stuff is crazy!"  You dismiss him by saying, "Sure is."  You've just had a conversation about the Mueller investigation.  Are you necessarily going to remember it?  Probably not.

If she knows the answer then why didn't she ask, "Have you talked to ________ regarding the Muller investigation?".  She didn't because she is fishing.

Edited to add:   She may not know the name of the person in question, but may have heard from some source he talked to someone at that firm.  I guess that is a possibility.   If that is the case then she needs to provide that source.  Otherwise she is just fishing.

If she knows the answer then why didn't she ask, "Have you talked to ________ regarding the Muller investigation?".  She didn't because she is fishing.

Edited to add:   She may not know the name of the person in question, but may have heard from some source he talked to someone at that firm.  I guess that is a possibility.   If that is the case then she needs to provide that source.  Otherwise she is just fishing.
You're asking why she didn't make things as simple as possible for Kavanaugh, and instead chose to make him look bad and like he was hiding something?

Don't you already know the answer to that question?  It's the same reason Mike Lee jumped in about halfway through and acted like he was Kavanaugh's defense attorney instead of an objective member of a committee seeking information about a candidate for confirmation to the Supreme Court.

January averages -

The average temp in January in Minnesota is 15.6 degrees. 

Average high temperature:23.7°F

Average low temperature:7.5°F

Average temperature:15.6°F

Average Precipitation:0.91 inch

Average snowfall:12 inch

Feb averages -

Average high - 29

Average low - 13

Average precip - 0.79

Average days with precip - 7

Average snowfall in inches - 8
I didn’t say it averaged -63

I understand your point for sure as well. She might have been sort of setting him up to show maybe his integrity is not of the highest caliber. Which, is ok when it comes to a Supreme Court Justice IMO

You're asking why she didn't make things as simple as possible for Kavanaugh, and instead chose to make him look bad and like he was hiding something?

Don't you already know the answer to that question?  It's the same reason Mike Lee jumped in about halfway through and acted like he was Kavanaugh's defense attorney instead of an objective member of a committee seeking information about a candidate for confirmation to the Supreme Court.
I would think the objective on Harris' part would be to get an answer to a question asked correctly.  Give a roster of names so he can see who she is talking about.  How hard is that?  If it is hard at that moment in time, then ask later when they have some names he can look at.

I don't think it's a simple question.  Six months ago you're at a bar and news about the Mueller investigation in on TV.  The guy next you says, "this stuff is crazy!"  You dismiss him by saying, "Sure is."  You've just had a conversation about the Mueller investigation.  Are you necessarily going to remember it?  Probably not.
In the context of a SCOTUS nomination hearing, do you think Kamala Harris is looking for bar conversations? I doubt that's the situation you are imagining. If Kavanaugh had a lunch meeting with 2 partners at Kazowitz, etc would you think he remembers it? I think so.

I would think the objective on Harris' part would be to get an answer to a question asked correctly.  Give a roster of names so he can see who she is talking about.  How hard is that?  If it is hard at that moment in time, then ask later when they have some names he can look at.
Why are you playing dumb here?  She wanted to make him squirm for political reasons, even though that's not strictly speaking her role as a member of the committee.  She succeeded.  Just like Mike Lee wanted to try to bail him out while he was squirming for political reasons, even though that's not strictly speaking his role as a member of the committee, and he kind of succeeded. You get that, right?

I didn’t say it averaged -63
To put that in perspective, I lived in Louisville, Ky in the early 90s and we had a temp of -22.  I've lived in Minnesota for 19 years and yes, we get below 0 a few times a year most of the time, but sometimes the daytime highs stay above zero the entire winter.  One winter a few years back it only snowed twice the entire winter in southern MN.

To put that in perspective, I lived in Louisville, Ky in the early 90s and we had a temp of -22.  I've lived in Minnesota for 19 years and yes, we get below 0 a few times a year most of the time, but sometimes the daytime highs stay above zero the entire winter.  One winter a few years back it only snowed twice the entire winter in southern MN.
Cool. 

I just looked it up and it was once -63 degrees in Minnesota. No thank you. 
It gets cold, no question. 

When people ask why I moved to Colorado I say to get away from Winter.  they say, but Colorado has winter.  I say not compared to Wisconsin and Minnesota where I grew up.  30 years now here in Colorado and I have never gotten out my winter jacket, and I hunt in the Mountains in the late fall and ski during the coldest months.

Why are you playing dumb here?  She wanted to make him squirm for political reasons, even though that's not strictly speaking her role as a member of the committee.  She succeeded.  Just like Mike Lee wanted to try to bail him out while he was squirming for political reasons, even though that's not strictly speaking his role as a member of the committee, and he kind of succeeded. You get that, right?
Squirm for political reasons = fishing.  Nothing to see here then unless they know of someone from that firm he talked to.

JohnnyU really in here arguing about the veracity of Minnesota winters.  :lmao:  

everyone knows kentucky has the worst winters hell guys it got to like 22 below there this one time case closed take that to the bank bromigos 

In the end, none of that matters to his confirmation unless they have a name.  I think everyone knows he will be confirmed

Yet you took the time to respond and compare winters in Minnesota to those in Kentucky as if there was any sort of meaningful comparison there.
Average Temperatures for Louisville

Jan:  Low:24.9°F.  High:41.0°F.

Feb:  Low 28.5°F.  High:46.6°F.

Glad that’s settled. 

Squirm for political reasons = fishing.  Nothing to see here then unless they know of someone from that firm he talked to.
This certainly seems like a slam dunk nomination which makes the squirming really odd. Kavanaugh’s got this, why the nervousness? He’s going to be a USSC Justice but he looked like a green horn on occasion.

The Dems really tasked him on his piece on Hawaiii, on whether the President could obstruct, the stolen emails, and the Kasowitz issue. They exposed him, I’m really surprised, not that they came at him but that he was so uncool.

It wasn't brought up by me.
And yet you argue it to the death.

By product of watching too much Fox News. My mom does this too...latch onto a incorrect hot take like a gila monster never letting go and taking it to the mat when really it is something pretty minor that nobody really cares about.

Good luck with this.

And yet you argue it to the death.

By product of watching too much Fox News. My mom does this too...latch onto a incorrect hot take like a gila monster never letting go and taking it to the mat when really it is something pretty minor that nobody really cares about.

Good luck with this.
I live in southern mn and the winters aren't that bad here.  Long but on average not that bad.  

In the context of a SCOTUS nomination hearing, do you think Kamala Harris is looking for bar conversations? I doubt that's the situation you are imagining. If Kavanaugh had a lunch meeting with 2 partners at Kazowitz, etc would you think he remembers it? I think so.
Harris never narrowed the question not to include random conversations.  

If Kavanaugh had a lengthy conversation about the investigation with someone he knows well at that law firm, yes, I assume he would remember it. 

It was just a terrible line of questioning, in my opinion.  

Yup.  Fairly simple to answer, too.  "I've discussed the investigation with a number of people, just like everyone else. It's front page news all the time. I don't specifically recall discussing it with someone I know to be an employee of that firm, but it's certainly possible." Unless there's some big reveal coming, which I doubt, that would have been the end of it.  That's basically the answer he gave anyway, but he spent 5 minutes looking guilty as hell first.
Oh my GOD did he look guilty.  It's like how I act when my wife asked if I went gambling a couple of months ago.  "ummmm. . . what do you mean by 'gambling'?  I mean, I might have been like, 'I bet my secretary is totally lying about needing to take a sick day.'  Right?  So. . . who DOESN'T gamble?  And if you mean by 'gamble, was I taking a chance on something, I take chances all the time. . . ."

An easy answer was RIGHT there for the taking.  The fact that he didn't take it . . . something is weird here. 

Users who are viewing this thread