Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sinn Fein

​ 🏛️ ​Official Supreme Court nomination thread - Amy Coney Barrett

The argument I’m hearing from progressives (mostly on the radio) is that he’s a partisan hack, more interested in pursuing whatever agenda is favorable to conservatism than he is in interpreting the law and Constitution with an attempt at impartiality. 

If this were true I would be more concerned. But as I listen to him I’m not convinced that it’s true. 

27 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

Better than where we're at now with only one side doing it?

Sorry  but you don't get to shove the board game off the table, storm out of the kitchen, burn the house to the ground, and then pull out the instructions and insist that we abide by all the rules. You burned it down, you get to wallow here in the resulting chaos with the rest of us.

Show us where the game rules say you can't burn the house to the ground.  :own3d: 

Sure, people email the creators of programs all the time discussing the exact parameters of that program that was created without knowing that the program exists.  :rolleyes:

Just now, Henry Ford said:

He sent an email to John Yoo on September 17, 2001 asking if Yoo had put together any results yet on the question.

On October 23, 2001, John Yoo authored the memorandum that was the basis for authorization of the program.

And?  At that point the program was a hypothetical.

9 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

Good grief. Ignore. 

typical

can't back what you said, then run .... nice

Just now, rodg12 said:

Sure, people email the creators of programs all the time discussing the exact parameters of that program that was created without knowing that the program exists.  :rolleyes:

I suspect John Woo reached out to him first.

• Like 1

Just now, jonessed said:

And?  At that point the program was a hypothetical.

At the point he answered the question it was not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

The argument I’m hearing from progressives (mostly on the radio) is that he’s a partisan hack, more interested in pursuing whatever agenda is favorable to conservatism than he is in interpreting the law and Constitution with an attempt at impartiality. 

If this were true I would be more concerned. But as I listen to him I’m not convinced that it’s true. 

This is why a thorough and complete document review is essential.  Need to see if the story he's selling at the hearing is the same one that actually happened. 

Just now, jonessed said:

I suspect John Woo reached out to him first.

You suspect that John Woo reached out to him and told him Woo would be drafting a memo to his department to explain the 4A issues?

• Like 2

At the point he answered the question it was not.

If he knew they were discussing an existing program and not a hypothetical he would be lying.  We don’t know that yet.

1 minute ago, Henry Ford said:

You suspect that John Woo reached out to him and told him Woo would be drafting a memo to his department to explain the 4A issues?

I expect Woo reaches out to him to get his opinion on the legal implications of doing something like this.

Google search September 17: how to hide the body of a woman in the woods

email September 17: Jim, I have that "hiding a woman's body in the woods research" for you

Mr. Kavanaugh, now that we all know Jim killed his wife and hid her body in the woods on October 23, did you have any discussion or do any research regarding hiding Jim's wife's body in the woods?

Kavanaugh: No.

I consider that a lie.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jonessed said:

If he knew they were discussing an existing program and not a hypothetical he would be lying.  We don’t know that yet.

In 2006? He knew.  Much of the discussion in the hearing was that he was aware of the program just like the public (it had all just come out).

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sweet J said:

You mean like stealing a Supreme Court seat?

My response it the same as Booker's:  Bring it. 

You consider it stolen, whereas we just consider it a Supreme Court Seat. 

You can even put an asterisk by his name, as long as he will be ruling for the next 40 years is what counts. :thumbup:

Now if we can get one or two more after Kavanaugh, that will be even better.

RBG sometimes reminds me of the movie Weekend at Bernies

1 minute ago, jonessed said:

I expect Woo reaches out to him to get his opinion on the legal implications of doing something like this.

Other way around.  Woo authored the memo and explained the legality.

16 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

I don't always agree with his views but I think he is a thoughtful, well-written, and well-researched judge who does a good job.

I also believe that he intentionally stated falsehoods to Congress during a confirmation hearing and should be removed from the bench.

If not intentional it was at least reckless.  A jurist of his experience ought to get questions clarified before answering.  Either way he intended to thwart the inquiry, and that I do not abide.  One does not micturate on congress, or at least one should not, not if one aspires to the highest judicial office in the land. I find him qualified of mind, but not of character.

29 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

all of that and far more is true and now this Booker fiasco ........... what an embarrassment for the left

first it looked like Booker was Spartacus LOL and the left were all like "hell yeah, lets break laws and breach codes for the good of the people !!"

and now, its like ... uh ... there was no breach, now, it just looks like you lied and tried to create chaos and unrest for nothing but to cause disruption

what a ####### week huh?

A week to remember, for sure.

31 minutes ago, GroveDiesel said:

Ok, and the released email is Kavanaugh referring to a different program than the Terrorist Surveillance Program, no?

Which is why in his hearing, Kavanaugh specifically says that there were multiple programs and tries to clarify with Leahy whether he's specifically referring to TPS.

Or am I missing something?

Your reading on it is the same as mine.

Other way around.  Woo authored the memo and explained the legality.

I imagine Woo consulted others before writing it.  Whether those others knew that the program existed or would be implemented I don’t know.

28 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

wow ya'll really are brainwashed by CNN aren't you ?

I mean I've heard the stories, but seeing it .... its still fascinating to see

They thrive on anything MSM. It is their Kool-Aid. 

3 minutes ago, Qanon said:

A week to remember, for sure.

The way 2018 has gone so far. This week will be forgotten by next week.

9 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

If not intentional it was at least reckless.  A jurist of his experience ought to get questions clarified before answering.  Either way he intended to thwart the inquiry, and that I do not abide.  One does not micturate on congress, or at least one should not, not if one aspires to the highest judicial office in the land. I find him qualified of mind, but not of character.

Narrator:  "Character was not a pre-requisite for an appointment by this president."

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Sweet J said:

Did I stutter? 

How does one stutter, if anything you are playing fast and loose with the truth.

You now what is funny, "they" expected HRC to win, so there was no reason to complain too much.

Ooops they got Trumped on that line of reasoning. :thumbup:

32 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

I don't always agree with his views but I think he is a thoughtful, well-written, and well-researched judge who does a good job.

I also believe that he intentionally stated falsehoods to Congress during a confirmation hearing and should be removed from the bench.

We will take your ramblings under consideration.  Ummmm we have decided you lose.

4 minutes ago, Qanon said:

We will take your ramblings under consideration.  Ummmm we have decided you lose.

At some point bait becomes so rancid it is only good for maggots, not fish or gators.  That point was some time ago.

I learned this from Troy Landry, the King of the Swamps.  "Choot 'em!"

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Henry Ford said:

It isn't.  I said anyone who lies to Congress during a confirmation hearing should be impeached.  But I'm good with all of those.

Does lying on a message board count?

2 minutes ago, Qanon said:

Does lying on a message board count?

Is the message board "Congress"?  Because if it isn't, I'm not sure why you would ask the question.  

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

At some point bait becomes so rancid it is only good for maggots, not fish or gators.  That point was some time ago.

11 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

I learned this from Troy Landry, the King of the Swamps.  "Choot 'em!"

I had a client once who was distantly related to Troy Landry.  Between them, I believe that Troy got the brains, the looks, and the personality of the family.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, rodg12 said:

Hey @jonessed, let's see you explain away how this isn't a lie.

The one on the left says he wasn't involved in the nomination. The one on the right was about the confirmation hearing, not the nomination.

1 hour ago, Henry Ford said:

It isn't.  I said anyone who lies to Congress during a confirmation hearing should be impeached.  But I'm good with all of those.

So your position is that lying to Congress should not be prosecuted?

i happen to disagree and I think DOJ leniency to the political class (certain members)  is a major threat to the credibility of the rule of law in this country.

ismissing open hypocrisy as “whataboutism” is a sign that the era of political discourse is over and it’s all about who has power.

1 minute ago, Rove! said:

So your position is that lying to Congress should not be prosecuted?

i happen to disagree and I think DOJ leniency to the political class (certain members)  is a major threat to the credibility of the rule of law in this country.

ismissing open hypocrisy as “whataboutism” is a sign that the era of political discourse is over and it’s all about who has power.

No, my position is that you shouldn't put words in my mouth about a different issue when I'm discussing a specific issue.

Edited by Henry Ford
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Is the message board "Congress"?  Because if it isn't, I'm not sure why you would ask the question.  

So you are good with lying as long as it not before Congress. You Dudley DeBosier?

Just now, Maurile Tremblay said:

The one on the left says he wasn't involving in the nomination. The one on the right was about the confirmation hearing, not the nomination.

I was referring to the thread as a whole.  Specifically these two pieces together that I referenced in a later post...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DmbH8czX0AI6U3g.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DmbJoP_W4AEd5Y6.jpg

38 minutes ago, Ditkaless Wonders said:

:thumbup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Qanon said:

So you are good with lying as long as it not before Congress. You Dudley DeBosier?

That's an interesting take.  You should formulate a sentential logic proof using my statements from which you derived that conclusion.  It would really shame me.

Edited by Henry Ford

2 hours ago, Dedfin said:

Yeah, I don't think any of the liberals/progressives and traditional conservatives on this board will find any middle ground with regarding this guy. Kavanaugh is a traditional conservative's sliver lining. The traditional conservatives and libertarians here may dislike Trump and many of his policies, but they love Gorsuch and they love Kavanaugh. This is why they put up with so much crap from Trump. There is no way they are going to allow themselves to see negatives here.

I see plenty of negatives FWIW and I'm not really in love with either of Trump's picks.  Of course I am not a rabid conservative either, but definitely more conservative than liberal.  This #### the party's become is nothing close to what it's been before.  The core beliefs of yesteryear simply don't apply in today's world.  Technology, global economies and other governments being part of the equation (now more than ever before) require us to step back and reevaluate.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rodg12 said:

I was referring to the thread as a whole.  Specifically these two pieces together that I referenced in a later post...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DmbH8czX0AI6U3g.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DmbJoP_W4AEd5Y6.jpg

I read the stuff in those links. Without rereading them several more times, I don't see a contradiction. Which particular statements are you referring to?

Just now, Maurile Tremblay said:

I read the stuff in those links. Without rereading them several more times, I don't see a contradiction. Which particular statements are you referring to?

In the second link from my post you quoted, he specifically discusses recommending Pryor for nomination in the email.  In the first link, he denies handling his nomination.

1 minute ago, Captain Cranks said:

If an intellectual debate was like Mike Tyson's Punchout, Qanon would be Glass Joe.  

Glass Joe was 1-99 with 1 knockout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stealthycat said:

this hearing is a mockery for the system that's in place - if ya'll can't agree to that, that the chaos and mass confusion is so far overboard ..... then you're justifying any means necessary to get the end result you want (no Kavanugh)

and if you realize that, than you would have to expect the GOP to do the same

and when both sides are full on war, breaking laws and violating everything we stand on as a country .... then where will we be at ?

how much of this hearing have you watched?  genuine question.