Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sinn Fein

​ 🏛️ ​Official Supreme Court nomination thread - Amy Coney Barrett

3 minutes ago, fatguyinalittlecoat said:

I mean he's gonna get confirmed no matter what Harris comes up with.

Oh yeah right, and he won't be recusing himself from anything either.

I hate to be cynical but- the main reason that Corey Booker released those emails yesterday is that he could not allow Kamala Harris to be the face of the Democratic opposition to Kavanaugh. On Monday and Tuesday, Harris was the one featured on the news because she interrupted Grassley. Now Booker is the one on the news. 

Both Harris and Booker know that Kavanaugh will be approved no matter what they do or say. So as I wrote before, we’re looking at the beginning of the 2020 election cycle: I believe these are the top two candidates (at least for now). Booker is more centrist and Harris will have more progressive support, but Booker needs to maintain enough base support so that he won’t be perceived as Hillary 2.0; hence he is establishing his bona fides right here. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, timschochet said:

I hate to be cynical but- the main reason that Corey Booker released those emails yesterday is that he could not allow Kamala Harris to be the face of the Democratic opposition to Kavanaugh. On Monday and Tuesday, Harris was the one featured on the news because she interrupted Grassley. Now Booker is the one on the news. 

Both Harris and Booker know that Kavanaugh will be approved no matter what they do or say. So as I wrote before, we’re looking at the beginning of the 2020 election cycle: I believe these are the top two candidates (at least for now). Booker is more centrist and Harris will have more progressive support, but Booker needs to maintain enough base support so that he won’t be perceived as Hillary 2.0; hence he is establishing his bona fides right here. 

I don’t know, I’m just sick of people not doing their jobs and these two appear to be doing their jobs damned well.

• Like 5

Just now, SaintsInDome2006 said:

I don’t know, I’m just sick of people not doing their jobs and these two appear to be doing their jobs damned well.

Their “job” this week is to get as much face time in front of the cameras as possible. 

• Like 1

As I understand it the document was originally confidential, how that came to be seems more important than how it was ultimately properly released.

• Like 3

Just now, timschochet said:

Their “job” this week is to get as much face time in front of the cameras as possible. 

IMO they’ve been drilling Kavanaugh effectively, Harris especially.

• Like 1

The point about Kavanaugh receiving and accessing stolen emails, if true, seems like it should be the kind of big deal that gets a lawyer disbarred, not promoted to the USSC.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

The point about Kavanaugh receiving and accessing stolen emails, if true, seems like it should be the kind of big deal that gets a lawyer disbarred, not promoted to the USSC.

This is when someone reminds you that nothing matters.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Well, Leahy seems pretty convinced.  And I'm inclined to believe him, given that they were from his files.

https://twitter.com/SenatorLeahy/status/1037753403856887808/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1037753410223857665&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fsplinternews.com%2Fajax%2Finset%2Fiframe%3Fid%3Dtwitter-1037753410223857665%26autosize%3D1

:lol:

Its a good thing I am not involved in politics - I would quickly sink to the lowest level...

I would save up all this Kavanaugh info, and file articles of impeachment once the Dems controlled the House (with an outside chance I would wait until 2020 to see if the Dems could get the Senate also...

31 minutes ago, timschochet said:

No.

17 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

I would save up all this Kavanaugh info, and file articles of impeachment once the Dems controlled the House (with an outside chance I would wait until 2020 to see if the Dems could get the Senate also...

You think Democrats will get 2/3 of the Senate?  That's a big lift.

19 hours ago, The Commish said:

how much of this hearing have you watched?  genuine question.

I have watched little - I read the transcripts and such. watching the live hearings and the chaos that was the first 2 days is beyond my pallet, i wanted to vomit with all the outbursts and choas

You watch them live - literally ?

4 minutes ago, Sand said:

You think Democrats will get 2/3 of the Senate?  That's a big lift.

No chance of getting to 60 dems in Senate.

But, if you can build a good case of lying to congress, and dealing in stolen emails - :shrug:

And, if you control the agenda, maybe there is more to dig up...

5 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

No chance of getting to 60 dems in Senate.

But, if you can build a good case of lying to congress, and dealing in stolen emails - :shrug:

And, if you control the agenda, maybe there is more to dig up...

Why not just wish for a successful Presidency and a prosperous nation?

1 hour ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

IMO they’ve been drilling Kavanaugh effectively, Harris especially.

:bs:  They have not landed a single blow.

Their "drilling" has been totally ineffective.

After Booker's "Spartacus" moment....all the Dems are competing for the "Most Rebellious" trophy.

Edited by Opie

Anyone still think religion isn't dangerous when it creeps into public policy?  Might as well put the pope on the Supreme Court and just go full-on Christian theocracy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Opie said:

They have not landed a single blow.

And it’s not their job to land blows any more than it is the Republicans’ to deflect them.  Their job is to vett his experience, explore his character and ethics, and examine his judicial views, and they’ve been doing that.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

I have watched little - I read the transcripts and such. watching the live hearings and the chaos that was the first 2 days is beyond my pallet, i wanted to vomit with all the outbursts and choas

:mellow:

Beyond your pallet?

Just now, SaintsInDome2006 said:

And it’s not their job to land blows any more than it is the Republicans’ to deflect them.  Their job is to vett his experience, explore his character and ethics, and examine his judicial views, and they’ve been doing that.

No...apparently not.

1 hour ago, timschochet said:

Edited by Opie

Just now, JohnnyU said:

We did wish for that. We hoped that Trump's rhetoric on the campaign trail was just that. However, his very election has undermined the confidence in our electoral system. His attacks on free press, violations of human rights, effectively kidnapping, outright racism, hiring a bunch of literal criminals, etc. etc. is hurting the concept of America, our very ideals at a fundamental level. Just because we aren't currently in some sort of economic downturn doesn't mean Trump is a good or successful President.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Stealthycat said:

of course....why would I rely on someone else's account when I can see it for myself?

26 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

I think the ship has sailed on the first point

16 minutes ago, dawgtrails said:

I think the ship has sailed on the first point

Not true.  Hes been veru successful for whats most important.

Edited by JohnnyU

14 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

Further enriching the top 1% isn't what is most important, yet it is what he is succeeding most at.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

how do we determine "truth" of one's opinion.  What's "most important" to you isn't what's most important to me.  For instance, our democracy is what's most important to me and the ship has certainly sailed if that's the criteria.

Edited by The Commish
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, JohnnyU said:

This is what is most important:

I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

---------

When he is attacking free press, taking emoluments, and enabling adversaries (possibly conspiring with them) and this is just a fraction of his actions... well... you aren't doing what is "most important".

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sn0mm1s said:

This is what is most important:

I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

---------

When he is attacking free press, taking emoluments, and enabling adversaries (possibly conspiring with them) and this is just a fraction of his actions... well... you aren't doing what is "most important".

Let's not talk about Obama like that. 

2 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

Weak as usual Jon.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jon_mx said:

Your comment is read and summarily dismissed. Please take your false equivalencies to a board that can't discern them.

Your comment is read and summarily dismissed. Please take your false equivalencies to a board that can't discern them.

:lol: you guys take your partisan rants way too serious.  

Just now, jon_mx said:

:lol: you guys take your partisan rants way too serious.  

Trust me, I am not taking you seriously.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, sn0mm1s said:

Trust me, I am not taking you seriously.

:lol: four responses, four personal comments.   You guys can't help yourself.  So much bittness and hatred.   

30 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

Further enriching the top 1% isn't what is most important, yet it is what he is succeeding most at.

As has every president of the past 38 years.

5 minutes ago, jon_mx said:

:lol: four responses, four personal comments.   You guys can't help yourself.  So much bittness and hatred.   

You are just an example of how far the Right has fallen. The intellectual dishonesty is so staggering is truly is sad. Only someone on the Right could take a post quoting the President's Oath of Office and call it a partisan rant.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Short Corner said:

Clinton raised the top marginal tax rate from 28% to 39.5%.  

Just now, sn0mm1s said:

You are just an example of how far the Right has fallen. The intellectual dishonesty is so staggering is truly is sad. Only someone on the Right could take a post quoting the President's Oath of Office and call it a partisan rant.

To be fair, he has been terrible poster for as long as he’s been here.  He hasn’t been influenced by the cult of Trump.

• Like 2

That was not the part I was responding too.  HTH. 

So Kavanaugh repeatedly lied under oath and he's going to be promoted to the S.Ct.? Shouldn't this be a huge story? 

• Like 4

Just now, -fish- said:

To be fair, he has been terrible poster for as long as he’s been here.  He hasn’t been influenced by the cult of Trump.

This forum is filled with a bunch of left wing bitter pricks who lack any sense of humor.  

2 hours ago, timschochet said:

https://townhall.com/political-cartoons/2018/09/07/159788

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jon_mx said:

That was not the part I was responding too.  HTH. 

Stating facts != partisan rant. HTH.

Just now, sn0mm1s said:

Stating facts != partisan rant. HTH.

There was an opinion portion which followed.   HTH. 

Just now, jon_mx said:

There was an opinion portion which followed.   HTH. 

jon, jon, jon, you really need to enrich yourself. I am sure I could find a few online courses that might really help you out. Maybe some US History mixed in with some Civics. Most people covered this stuff in-depth during high school. That is assuming you started and finished. I don't want assume too much if you are still in middle school or something. If you are, I apologize in advance and you should post when your high school graduation is coming up. We could probably have a real discussion then.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, -fish- said:

Clinton raised the top marginal tax rate from 28% to 39.5%.  

Obama raised it as well while expanding Medicaid

CONFIRMED: Organizer Vinay Krishnan Who Was Caught Paying Off Kavanaugh Protesters — Works for Soros-Linked Organization

1 hour ago, The Commish said:

of course....why would I rely on someone else's account when I can see it for myself?

you got more time than I do then

https://www.facebook.com/itmattershowyoustand/videos/2103885979926465/?t=531

Edited by Stealthycat

19 minutes ago, Short Corner said:

As their best thing? I don't think so.

The rich get richer and you need money to make money aren't just sayings. I would hope the rich get richer under every President. I would also hope that that the poor get richer and the middle class get richer. Gaining wealth isn't a zero sum game.