Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sinn Fein

​ 🏛️ ​Official Supreme Court nomination thread - Amy Coney Barrett

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Just heard on the radio the allegation is rape. If that’s true it changes everything. 

But again it’s just one local news station

The New Yorker just broke the story.

Quote

The woman, who has asked not to be identified, first approached Democratic lawmakers in July, shortly after Trump nominated Kavanaugh. The allegation dates back to the early nineteen-eighties, when Kavanaugh was a high-school student at Georgetown Preparatory School, in Bethesda, Maryland, and the woman attended a nearby high school. In the letter, the woman alleged that, during an encounter at a party, Kavanaugh held her down, and that he attempted to force himself on her. She claimed in the letter that Kavanaugh and a classmate of his, both of whom had been drinking, turned up music that was playing in the room to conceal the sound of her protests, and that Kavanaugh covered her mouth with his hand. She was able to free herself. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Republicans have lit themselves on fire. You’ll see the results in November.

Democrats should follow the same strategy when they come into power only if they want this year’s blue wave to be followed by a subsequent red wave.

“The other side is immolating itself. To get even, we must do the same!”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

A source familiar with the committee’s activities said that Feinstein’s staff initially conveyed to other Democratic members’ offices that the incident was too distant in the past to merit public discussion, and that Feinstein had “taken care of it.” On Wednesday, after media inquiries to the Democratic members multiplied, and concern among congressional colleagues increased, Feinstein agreed to brief the other Democrats on the committee, with no staff present.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/a-sexual-misconduct-allegation-against-the-supreme-court-nominee-brett-kavanaugh-stirs-tension-among-democrats-in-congress

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John Bresnahan‏ @BresPolitico

.@ChuckGrassley releases a letter from 65 women who knew Kavanaugh in high school (showing Rs knew about this high-school rape allegation.) These women say Kavanaugh “behaved honorably and treated women with respect.”

:unsure:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, sn0mm1s said:

Heh - those giants have been shouted down by ignorance. Playing fair and nice and taking the high road doesn't work in the current political climate. If you think it works - you have been living in a bubble the past 20 years. All you high road people are like a pacifist that wouldn't fight the WWII because killing and wars are bad. There is what is necessary and there is what is "right" and they aren't always the same.

Many good people have expressed this to me before, and I am guessing they will do so again.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:
Quote

A source familiar with the committee’s activities said that Feinstein’s staff initially conveyed to other Democratic members’ offices that the incident was too distant in the past to merit public discussion, and that Feinstein had “taken care of it.” On Wednesday, after media inquiries to the Democratic members multiplied, and concern among congressional colleagues increased, Feinstein agreed to brief the other Democrats on the committee, with no staff present.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/a-sexual-misconduct-allegation-against-the-supreme-court-nominee-brett-kavanaugh-stirs-tension-among-democrats-in-congress

OK, that's how it got out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, timschochet said:

O@, I hate to reverse myself but they need to reopen the hearings and investigate this. Now. 

No you don't.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
54 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Republicans have lit themselves on fire. You’ll see the results in November.

Democrats should follow the same strategy when they come into power only if they want this year’s blue wave to be followed by a subsequent red wave.

“The other side is immolating itself. To get even, we must do the same!”

Nope.

These procedural things which carry great heft on how things are shaped? Too obscure and fleeting for the populous to pay attention to or remember. There isn't going to be a blue wave because of Gorsuch Garland. It didn't even cause a blue wave the year that it happened. There isn't going to be a blue wave because of re-drawn districts. That's been going on for 200 years. There isn't going to be a blue wave because of voter disenfranchisement. The Voter ID bit has been going on for over a decade. And felon voter disenfranchisement for much longer.

There's going to be a blue wave because of a completely inappropriate President and a positive refusal to do any oversight.

This was one of the few posts you didn't really think through imo.

Edited by Guest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Raping somebody.  When you float a story along the lines of "I've received news about this candidate that is too sensitive to get into details about, but it involves sexual misconduct and needs to be investigated by the FBI," you are publicly accusing the guy of being a rapist or pedophile or something similarly serious without having the courage to say so forthrightly.  That's why innuendo is so scummy -- Feinstein gave people license to imagine the worst when she apparently knew perfectly well that this was nothing.

Care to revise your statement?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And this is why, @HellToupee that I wrote last night that Laura Ingraham has no credibility and Diane Feinstein does. You need to stop basing your trust of people on how closely they share your political opinions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

No you don't.

I do though, especially in this case. I wrote a week ago that I found Brett Kavanaugh extremely likeable, a very good guy. Either that is totally wrong or he is being falsely accused of a terrible crime. Either way it’s awful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, timschochet said:

And this is why, @HellToupee that I wrote last night that Laura Ingraham has no credibility and Diane Feinstein does. You need to stop basing your trust of people on how closely they share your political opinions. 

We will hear an avalanche of statements in public that amount to "the fact of whether or not he tried to rape a girl 35 years ago should have no bearing on whether he can decide if a woman can control her own body under the law."

Edited by Henry Ford
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

Republicans have lit themselves on fire. You’ll see the results in November.

Democrats should follow the same strategy when they come into power only if they want this year’s blue wave to be followed by a subsequent red wave.

“The other side is immolating itself. To get even, we must do the same!”

What are you expecting in November? Seriously, what are your expectations? The Dems get a slim majority in the House? Take back the Senate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Henry Ford said:

We will hear an avalanche of statements in public that amount to "the fact of whether or not he tried to rape a girl 35 years ago should have no bearing on whether he can decide if a woman can control her own body under the law."

The judge from the Brock Turner case has suddenly rocketed up to the top of the Republican party short list for SCOTUS nominees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no idea how this is gonna shake out, but it certainly doesn't help Kavanaugh that he's already been caught red-handed being, at a minimum, incredibly misleading in testimony before Congress on other matters.

Nor does it help him that he was nominated by a man who has been credibly accused of sexual assault and responded with outraged denials.

 

The GOP keeps shooting themselves in the foot this election cycle. Nominate a less extreme/controversial/partisan judge and drop the ACA lawsuit and they would easily hold the Senate IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TobiasFunke said:

I have no idea how this is gonna shake out, but it certainly doesn't help Kavanaugh that he's already been caught red-handed being, at a minimum, incredibly misleading in testimony before Congress on other matters.

Nor does it help him that he was nominated by a man who has been credibly accused of sexual assault and responded with outraged denials.

 

The GOP keeps shooting themselves in the foot this election cycle. Nominate a less extreme/controversial/partisan judge and drop the ACA lawsuit and they would easily hold the Senate IMO.

You don't think they are going to easily hold the Senate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, IvanKaramazov said:

Nope.  

Ivan I was basing my thoughts on your quote that she was locked in a room that she easily left. Now I’m reading that he forced himself on her and tried to rape her. If that’s true it changes everything, wouldn’t you agree? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
1 minute ago, sn0mm1s said:

You don't think they are going to easily hold the Senate?

Easily? No.

I'm not sure what the current odds are, but I think it's something like 3-to-1 on them maintaining it. But that's not a negligible risk of them not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sn0mm1s said:

You don't think they are going to easily hold the Senate?

I don’t. I think that Heidi holds on, Blackburn loses and Cruz MAY lose. It’s going to be very tight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sn0mm1s said:

You don't think they are going to easily hold the Senate?

I think they will hold it, but not easily.  I think it'll be close to the current split of 51/49. 

If they'd nominated a less troubling judge for the Court and dropped the ACA lawsuit I think they would have gotten closer to 55/45, which would then have let them keep the Senate after 2020 even if Trump/the GOP candidate loses by a decisive margin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Feinstein serving up a big ole NOTHINGBURGER. What a lamer. No name ? Never happened. You got nothing lady. Made up BS by a Trump haters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sn0mm1s said:
4 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

I have no idea how this is gonna shake out, but it certainly doesn't help Kavanaugh that he's already been caught red-handed being, at a minimum, incredibly misleading in testimony before Congress on other matters.

Nor does it help him that he was nominated by a man who has been credibly accused of sexual assault and responded with outraged denials.

 

The GOP keeps shooting themselves in the foot this election cycle. Nominate a less extreme/controversial/partisan judge and drop the ACA lawsuit and they would easily hold the Senate IMO.

You don't think they are going to easily hold the Senate?

Democrats take the house 227-208

Republicans keep the senate 51-49

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, lod001 said:

Feinstein serving up a big ole NOTHINGBURGER. What a lamer. No name ? Never happened. You got nothing lady. Made up BS by a Trump haters.

To be fair she didn't serve it up, she tried to keep it out of public view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm Farrow vs Ingraham.  One guys nailed every story on this sort of thing for almost 2 years now and the other, well...

If this really happened, this will just be the start.  There’s hardly ever just one victim.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Ivan I was basing my thoughts on your quote that she was locked in a room that she easily left. Now I’m reading that he forced himself on her and tried to rape her. If that’s true it changes everything, wouldn’t you agree? 

I am putting literally zero weight on an anonymous allegation from 35 years ago that is getting leaked at the 11th hour.  If there's one thing that we've learned over the past couple of years, it's that there's never just one incident -- there's always a pattern.  If other people come forward with similar stories, then yeah of course that changes things.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Feinstein serving up a big ole NOTHINGBURGER. What a lamer. No name ? Never happened. You got nothing lady. Made up BS by a Trump haters.

Yeah, women totally should want to come forward in public.  It's worked out so well for them in this sort of situation.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Feinstein serving up a big ole NOTHINGBURGER. What a lamer. No name ? Never happened. You got nothing lady. Made up BS by a Trump haters.

Why go out on such a limb? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sammy3469 said:

Hmmm Farrow vs Ingraham.  One guys nailed every story on this sort of thing for almost 2 years now and the other, well...

If this really happened, this will just be the start.  There’s hardly ever just one victim.

Yeah, this doesn't start with "hey, man, you hang out in here and turn the music up while I try to rape this girl."  Nor end with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A last ditch Hail Mary from High school no less.  She said, he said.  I can't believe you people are believing this.  On second thought, I can believe it.

have fun guys & girls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IvanKaramazov said:

I am putting literally zero weight on an anonymous allegation from 35 years ago that is getting leaked at the 11th hour.  If there's one thing that we've learned over the past couple of years, it's that there's never just one incident -- there's always a pattern.  If other people come forward with similar stories, then yeah of course that changes things.  

My point is that it’s a serious enough charge that there needs to be an investigation before a vote. That’s my only argument. Do you agree? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, irishidiot said:

A last ditch Hail Mary from High school no less.  She said, he said.  I can't believe you people are believing this.  On second thought, I can believe it.

have fun guys & girls.

I think most people are reserving judgment.  As already stated, if this happened once it likely happened many more times.  If that's the case, there will be more accusers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, The Indestructible said:

John Bresnahan‏ @BresPolitico

.@ChuckGrassley releases a letter from 65 women who knew Kavanaugh in high school (showing Rs knew about this high-school rape allegation.) These women say Kavanaugh “behaved honorably and treated women with respect.”

:unsure:

Regardless of the validity of the allegation about Kavanuah, this is an awful, ugly tactic. The obvious implication is that if a man didn't sexually assault these women then he couldn't have sexually assaulted any women. Gross. It's like the GOP is telling women not to vote for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, timschochet said:

My point is that it’s a serious enough charge that there needs to be an investigation before a vote. That’s my only argument. Do you agree? 

No.  Right now there's nothing to investigate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Henry Ford said:

Yeah, this doesn't start with "hey, man, you hang out in here and turn the music up while I try to rape this girl."  Nor end with it.

I mean I do have one college friend who is still married to a classmate of ours after picking her up by asking if she wanted to see his stereo and “making out” to Megadeth turned up so loud Public Safety had to come and ask them to turn it down at 3 in the morning, so I guess anything is possible :shrug: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, irishidiot said:

A last ditch Hail Mary from High school no less.  She said, he said.  I can't believe you people are believing this.  On second thought, I can believe it.

have fun guys & girls.

I’m amazed at you guys offering such bland assurances. How does anybody know? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IvanKaramazov said:

No.  Right now there's nothing to investigate. 

Well we disagree. There’s an allegation of rape. I want to know how credible it is. This is a lifetime appointment to the most powerful court in the land. It can wait a week or so while this gets sorted out. If it turns out to be nothing, fine. But it should not be ignored. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TobiasFunke said:

Regardless of the validity of the allegation about Kavanuah, this is an awful, ugly tactic. The obvious implication is that if a man didn't sexually assault these women then he couldn't have sexually assaulted any women. Gross. It's like the GOP is telling women not to vote for them.

Ummmm..... How else do you handle an anonymous allegation from 35 years ago? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, timschochet said:

I’m amazed at you guys offering such bland assurances. How does anybody know? 

I also don't really get the "hail mary" thing. If the Dems wanted to kill the nomination it seems to me they would have leaked this earlier. The Senate has clearly known about this for some time- Grassley's letter and list of 65 women didn't just materialize this morning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, timschochet said:

Well we disagree. There’s an allegation of rape. I want to know how credible it is. This is a lifetime appointment to the most powerful court in the land. It can wait a week or so while this gets sorted out. If it turns out to be nothing, fine. But it should not be ignored. 

It is almost impossible to determine if this accusation is credible. People don't remember events properly from 3 years ago.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, parasaurolophus said:

Ummmm..... How else do you handle an anonymous allegation from 35 years ago? 

 

You investigate its veracity and proceed accordingly. If the investigation stalls because the alleged victim is unwilling to testify, there's no corroborating evidence and the accused denies the charges under oath, so be it.  But what the hell does "he didn't rape me!"  have to do with anything, ever?  I'm pretty sure I could find 65 people who knew Jeffrey Dahmer that weren't killed and eaten by him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TobiasFunke said:

I also don't really get the "hail mary" thing. If the Dems wanted to kill the nomination it seems to me they would have leaked this earlier. The Senate has clearly known about this for some time- Grassley's letter and list of 65 women didn't just materialize this morning. 

Other than the accusation itself that letter is the worst thing about this story. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, timschochet said:

The news is reporting that someone said she was raped by Kavanaugh.

The allegation is that Kavanaugh tried to force himself on somebody, not that he actually raped anybody.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, parasaurolophus said:

It is almost impossible to determine if this accusation is credible. People don't remember events properly from 3 years ago.  

So what are you suggesting? We don’t try to investigate at all? Just move to a vote? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.