What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Christian Hackenberg Thread (1 Viewer)

MMQB's Albert Breer reports the Jets are happy with Christian Hackenberg's progress as he attempts to overhaul his footwork.

Hackenberg has been working with QBs coach Jeremy Bates to clean up some of his issues, and while he is not consistent enough yet, he is making progress. ESPN's Rich Cimini reported Hackenberg was "a little better than expected" in the offseason program, while Josh McCown "wasn't quite as sharp as anticipated." That at least cracks the door for Hackenberg to win the starting job in camp, but it is still very likely McCown is under center come Week 1. Even so, the safe money is on Hackenberg making starts at some point this year.

Source: MMQB

Jun 29 - 9:21 AM

Jets GM Mike Maccagnan said Christian Hackenberg made "good progress" this offseason.

The sophomore has been working with QBs coach Jeremy Bates to correct some of his mechanical flaws, and the MMQB's Albert Breer reported the Jets were happy with Hackenberg's progress following the offseason program. Still, Maccagnan said he is eager to see how the quarterback performs during the preseason. Even if Josh McCown wins the job Week 1, the smart money is on Hackenberg making starts this year.

Source: Rich Cimini on Twitter 

Jul 31 - 11:15 AM

Christian Hackenberg completed 18-of-25 passes for 127 yards, zero touchdowns and zero interceptions in Saturday's preseason opener.

Hackenberg checked in after one series, and played deep into the second half. Extremely few of his snaps came behind the Jets' first-team offensive line. The Jets made it clear early their main goal was to build Hackenberg's confidence, calling safe plays. Hackenberg avoided big mistakes, but also failed to make anything of note happen. His 5.01 yards per attempt was positively Gabbert-ian. All in all, considering the lack of talent on the field with Hackenberg, it was an inconclusive game. Hackenberg isn't in the mix to start Week 1. That job still belongs to Josh McCown.

Petty looked good, fine. They didn't try much with Hackenberg. I didn't understand the simplified offense stuff. The guy has been there long enough. Why "baby" him? As long as Petty looks fine, it really just seems like "why bother" with Hack. 

Petty looked good, fine. They didn't try much with Hackenberg. I didn't understand the simplified offense stuff. The guy has been there long enough. Why "baby" him? As long as Petty looks fine, it really just seems like "why bother" with Hack. 
Why bother with Hack? I mean why not? Maybe see if he can develop. Prob a long shot but his upside his higher than petty's'

Why bother with Hack? I mean why not? Maybe see if he can develop. Prob a long shot but his upside his higher than petty's'
I worded that poorly. It seems like the Jets simplified offense for him was as if they are thinking "why bother." I found it very odd Saturday night.

The Jets still are not considering starting Christian Hackenberg at quarterback.

Bryce Petty was predictably awful in New Orleans on Sunday, but the Jets don't want to subject fans — or planet earth — to Hackenberg. It's truly remarkable that a team in the Jets' quarterback situation isn't trying to force a former second-rounder onto the field. It tells you all you need to know about Hackenberg's NFL future. His 53-man roster spot will be in grave danger next summer.

Source: Eric Allen on Twitter

This seems so odd.  The team drafted him last year in the second round and they won't put him on the field.  He will most likely be terrible, but what's the harm in knowing for sure.

NJ.com reports Christian Hackenberg is still working "exclusively" with the scout team, and splitting reps with second-year UDFA Joel Stave.

Already ruled out as a Week 16 or 17 option at quarterback, Hackenberg doesn't seem to be making progress in practice. The reality is, he's not an NFL player. It appeared that way at Penn State. Two years on the Jets' practice field seems to have confirmed. At this point, Hackenberg seems likely to be cut next year, perhaps even early in the offseason.

Source: NJ.com

Dec 21 - 4:46 PM

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports Christian Hackenberg has been working with quarterback guru Jeff Christensen, and that the duo has "had to start from scratch on (Hackenberg's) throwing motion."

Per Garofolo, Christensen has worked with Jimmy Garoppolo, Kirk Cousins and Ryan Tannehill, amongst others. He will apparently conduct "over 60 sessions" with Hack this offseason. The Jets opted to keep Hack over Bryce Petty even though Hack has never looked close to better on the preseason or practice field. Only Hack's second-round pedigree has kept him on the roster this long. It's ultimately unlikely to be enough to save his 53-man roster spot.

Source: Mike Garafolo on Twitter 

May 3 - 5:59 PM

There was a brief period when he was thought to be a potential number 1 pick.
I actually thought there was a decent chance ARZ would take him instead of Nkemdiche. Some people think they let Calais Cambell walk because they had already invested a 1st rounder in Nkemdiche to take over for him. If that's true I'd much rather have Hackenberg/Cambell than Bradford/Nkemdiche (assuming they still draft Rosen) based on the draft capital/$ they ended up spending.

I know Hackenberg is pretty much universally reviled(which is odd for a guy that's never been in a game.... he's guilty of someone choosing him too high) but it was a pretty good move on his part to talk his way out of NY. The only reason he was on the roster was just in case two of the top 3 QB's got injured between now and September. Now he's at least in an honest competition for the #2 job in Oakland.

I thought there was a better chance that he was going to end up with the other Gruden in WAS. He said some complimentary things before the draft that year if I remember correctly. I don't think a 32yo Colt McCoy would have been tough to beat out as the backup behind an aging Alex Smith.

I know Hackenberg is pretty much universally reviled(which is odd for a guy that's never been in a game.... he's guilty of someone choosing him too high) but it was a pretty good move on his part to talk his way out of NY. The only reason he was on the roster was just in case two of the top 3 QB's got injured between now and September. Now he's at least in an honest competition for the #2 job in Oakland.

I thought there was a better chance that he was going to end up with the other Gruden in WAS. He said some complimentary things before the draft that year if I remember correctly. I don't think a 32yo Colt McCoy would have been tough to beat out as the backup behind an aging Alex Smith.
There's probably a reason he has never been in a game on a team that went 10-22 while he was on the roster. I agree though it's a good move for him (although I don't see him passing Cook and Manuel on the depth chart) and a decent flier move by Oakland who gets him virtually for free.

James Franklin taking over for BO'B was a disaster for Hack.we saw what Hack was capable of his Freshman year. BO'B stays, and this an entirely different conversation. He could have and should have transferred while he still had control of his situation, but he and his family took their scholarship commitment very seriously, and that's honorable if one is willing to accept the consequences. The Jets were a horrible landing spot for where he was coming out of college. I don't think his  NFL story is entirely written just yet , but Gruden has a lot on his plate in his 1st year w Raiders, and it may be a while before he has the time to unpack Hack's baggage. Underneath 4 years of crap, there is a solid foundation to build on. What a break, to now have firsthand access to Gruden. Maybe the circumstances are starting to work in his favor. Should be an interesting story to follow.

Raiders waived QB Christian Hackenberg.

Hack made it 21 days in the Bay Area. With his release, the Jets miss out on their conditional seventh-round pick. Hackenberg was severely over-drafted in 2016, creating unfair expectations in New York. The reality is, he's not an NFL quarterback. Although he's still only 23, Hackenberg could be at the end of the line.

Related: Raiders

Source: Field Yates on Twitter 

Imagine retiring at age 23 having earned 2.7 million dollars, with no student loans and no wear and tear from the NFL?

And having given temporary hope to, but ultimately screwed over, the jets... you'll never pay for a drink again in Miami, Buffalo or New England as long as you have a picture ID and are talking to a knowledgeable football fan because honestly you're not a household name but I'd definitely buy a round.  

Users who are viewing this thread