What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Quality Starts over Wins? (1 Viewer)

Mr.Pack

Footballguy
My league went to this last year and i think it's ridiculous. I'm ok with QS but Wins should also be there. Not one or the other.

I would like to hear rationale for this change because I'm seriously considering dropping out this year because of it.

Maybe I'm being obtuse here, but no one in the league could tell me why its better than W's, just that it is. And no one will vote to use both. My vote was to drop Holds and add Wins back, but I could be persuaded to drop something else.

Really   :wall:  here.

Wins are too arbitrary.  QS are a better measure of skill than wins.  That's why they're a better category.

I don't necessarily disagree...... however a pitcher has a rough 1st inning, giving up a grand slam, but settles down and pitches a complete game and they win 6-4, you get nothing from him for that effort. Thanks for playing, but it wasn't a QS. 

Doesn't make much sense to me.

Wins are for winners.  Quality starts are for losers
You mean the guys who come in, blow the lead in the top of the inning, only to have their team score in the bottom giving them the win is for winners 

Seems legit 

I don't necessarily disagree...... however a pitcher has a rough 1st inning, giving up a grand slam, but settles down and pitches a complete game and they win 6-4, you get nothing from him for that effort. Thanks for playing, but it wasn't a QS. 

Doesn't make much sense to me.
This scenario occurs far less than instances like a guy pitches 8 strong, up 3-2 when he leaves, closer blows it, he gets nothing if W is the category.

QS and W are equally arbitrary IMO and changing the category doesn't materially change pitcher valuation like AVG-OBP does. 

The biggest advantage of W is the visibility of the stat.  It's obvious in box scores, TV crawls, etc.

QS and W are equally arbitrary IMO and changing the category doesn't materially change pitcher valuation like AVG-OBP does. 

The biggest advantage of W is the visibility of the stat.  It's obvious in box scores, TV crawls, etc.
QS increase the value of starters over relievers and it also ups the value of aces relative to middling starters  

neither QS or W are a great stat, but there is zero reason to have both as they're largely duplicative. 

My league went to this last year and i think it's ridiculous. I'm ok with QS but Wins should also be there. Not one or the other.

I would like to hear rationale for this change because I'm seriously considering dropping out this year because of it.

Maybe I'm being obtuse here, but no one in the league could tell me why its better than W's, just that it is. And no one will vote to use both. My vote was to drop Holds and add Wins back, but I could be persuaded to drop something else.

We swapped out W for QS a couple of seasons ago.

Not a huge deal, but I greatly prefer it. The reasons for that are well out-lined here.  The reason not to use both really comes down to hitting/pitching balance and not having to reach to find a hitting stat to match the added pitching cat. IMO, once you go past 5x5 or 6x6, you are either largely duplicating stats/skills or reaching for, imo, ridiculous things. Leagues that use a bunch of cats (more than 6x6) just seem ridiculous to me. Hell, why not add ball scratches per game to the mix. 

QS is only for starters. Chapman blows a save and gets a W, you don't get bailed out if you own him. Now it will truly suck if he blows a save for you.

If you have played long enough in h2h, then you have experienced a time where your opponent beat you in the W category by getting a Sunday win out of a closer who failed to do his job.

Flip side, Chapman pitches scoreless 9th and 10th in a tie game, team wins in B10, you get nothing under QS rules. 

chapman being used as a MR and doesn't deserve anything 

Last edited by a moderator:
QS is much more indicative to good pitching outing than a win.  A win is very arbitrary.  You can give up 8 ER and get the win because the offense bailed him out which has nothing to do with the pitcher's performance.  Likewise a pitcher can go 9 innings of shutout ball and get a no decision because his team couldn't hit.  It was a dominating performance and he got nothing in that category for his effort. 

This is also a starting pitcher scentric category giving more value to SP in the lineup structure.  If you like to keep a balanced lineup trying to mimic real baseball you need categories that value SP or you will face a team loading up on the rate categories and be RP heavy.  I personally want each position to be equally as valuable.

I know it seems that combining QS + W is redundant but it does give the added value to the starter and still give middle reliever or vulture closers the opportunity at contributing in this category.

We score both in our H2H pts league but we make the QS worth much more since it is a better indicator of a good outing and is completely in the pitchers hands.

Trophy mentality here. 

Quality response here. It's ok to admit you have no clue what this topic is about.

Carry on
Wait just one minute. Are you really suggesting that Getz doesn't understand what's going on in this topic?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread