What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ty Montgomery Dynasty Value (1 Viewer)

I would be holding pretty steadily. We don't know if Nelson will return to form, Adams couldn't lock the job in this year and until Montgomery hurt his ankle he was looking like a cheap buy with huge potential. Unless you've got a big fish on the line I'm not dumping Montgomery.

Would sell him for any 2nd rounder I could get, but I like WR's that can play WR usually. He's a great athlete but not sure he'll ever be more than that or be startable in fantasy. 

Would sell him for any 2nd rounder I could get, but I like WR's that can play WR usually. He's a great athlete but not sure he'll ever be more than that or be startable in fantasy. 
This.   He can't catch passes downfield.  Seems to get lost when trying to track the ball.  Hard to see huge upside for him.

In a 32-team dynasty where WR value is ridiculously high, I just gave my 3.32 and 2017 2nd (mid-late round, hopefully) for Montgomery. Feel pretty good about it.

I don't see anyone in my leagues paying 2nd round value for him. Janis came on late as did Abby, Jordy back, RR came on. Not seeing it. In general he was a late 3/early 4 last year and not seeing much that would change that value.

Last year he was a trendy sleeper pick to stash in deeper leagues even though his critics predicted (accurately as it turns out) that he would a dead roster space for several years before you found out exactly what you had with him. In what action we did see last season, he was not particularly impressive.

The up and coming player in GB to own is not Montgomery IMO but Jeff Janis.

Last year he was a trendy sleeper pick to stash in deeper leagues even though his critics predicted (accurately as it turns out) that he would a dead roster space for several years before you found out exactly what you had with him. In what action we did see last season, he was not particularly impressive.

Really?

As a rookie he was getting action early in the year. In week 2 he caught 4 balls on 4 targets. 

6 weeks into the season he caught 15 of 19 targets for 136 yards and 2tds. 

What were you hoping to see out of him in limited action? I would argue that he was trending up and had he not been injured he may have even showed more. 

He has a fairly high ceiling and looked like a legit NFL wr. 

Really?

As a rookie he was getting action early in the year. In week 2 he caught 4 balls on 4 targets. 

6 weeks into the season he caught 15 of 19 targets for 136 yards and 2tds. 

What were you hoping to see out of him in limited action? I would argue that he was trending up and had he not been injured he may have even showed more. 

He has a fairly high ceiling and looked like a legit NFL wr. 
Really. Check out the Ty Montgomery thread that EFF started. There seemed to be a tone of disillusionment near the end of the season, not only that he was injured but that he didn't meet everyone's lofty expectations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really. Check out the Ty Montgomery thread that EFF started. There seemed to be a tone of disillusionment near the end of the season, not only that he was injured but that he didn't meet everyone's lofty expectations.
What does that thread have to do with you saying he was not impressive and you would have to wait years to see anything from him?

Even as early as training camp last season I was reading stuff that said the Packers  staff was higher on him than Adams and I agree with the previous poster who indicated had he not got injured last year he probably would have showed a lot and his value would have soared.

But he did get hurt in a year he had opportunity served up to him on a golden platter. Only Jordy and Cobb are proven but with Janis at least looking like he should get on the field  and possibility Adams does not just go away it's a bit crowded. Cobb in particular is an issue as they do a lot of similar things and not sure either are outside WR's. They also have been quoted as saying finding a bigger threat to work the middle of the field as a priority, though I think if they had their way they would find this player at the TE position.

So he's got a chance and all you need for value in Green Bay is to crack the top 3 WR's and even if he fails to win that role they usually have injuries every year.

In terms of his trade value I'd still jump on getting a second for him. I've shopped him all  around for an early third and got struck down.

What does that thread have to do with you saying he was not impressive and you would have to wait years to see anything from him?
People were saying the same thing there. And there are numerous mentions of his past issues with stone hands (although he did look a little improved in that respect).

People were saying the same thing there. And there are numerous mentions of his past issues with stone hands (although he did look a little improved in that respect).
Still hanging onto some misguided predraft thought even though you were proven wrong....such a cancerous thought for dynasty folks, so so common.

Green Bay WRs didn't catch much last year and it was a weekly shock as Aaron throws a decent ball. Ty on the other hand caught 15 of 19 targets in six games, three of them starts.

That's not bad for a rook, not at all.

Again with the drops, there were also miscommunication issues with Rodgers where he threw one place and the guy ran the other. Just before Ty got hurt, he looked like the only one on the same page as Rodgers.

He will likely be way down the depth chart but I would totally sit on him in dynasty. 

Honestly Adams I was concerned with. Everyone is talking of Lacy's struggles but he sure caught my eye too. 

I don't know what camp will bring. I'm sure Adams and Rodgers and others will work out together and work on their timing. However, I'm also sure their coach (or any coach) is not going to tolerate poor running, poor route running, and drops. You don't go away from the only guy that seemed to do things well.

Janis wasn't half as good as people claimed once the season started and then as it closed he came on. Above it was said Jordy could return with some issues. Ya gotta show some patience here. It "never happens" but who knows, the Pack could trade a WR (or two) and ...just see what happens.

My league is an odd one, we do auction draft and the price we pay for a player goes up by 10% each year max of 3 years kept. I have him for $1 so i guess im getting nit picky.

Even as early as training camp last season I was reading stuff that said the Packers  staff was higher on him than Adams and I agree with the previous poster who indicated had he not got injured last year he probably would have showed a lot and his value would have soared.

But he did get hurt in a year he had opportunity served up to him on a golden platter. Only Jordy and Cobb are proven but with Janis at least looking like he should get on the field  and possibility Adams does not just go away it's a bit crowded. Cobb in particular is an issue as they do a lot of similar things and not sure either are outside WR's. They also have been quoted as saying finding a bigger threat to work the middle of the field as a priority, though I think if they had their way they would find this player at the TE position.

So he's got a chance and all you need for value in Green Bay is to crack the top 3 WR's and even if he fails to win that role they usually have injuries every year.

In terms of his trade value I'd still jump on getting a second for him. I've shopped him all  around for an early third and got struck down.
yah adams is just horrible but with jeff janis and Jared  Abbrederis  showing signs i have no idea if he has a chance even if the guys in front of him do anything. 

Personally i wish i had held on to richard rogers morehe has a more direct path to success as i assume he will likely be the starter next year as well and I see GB as being a prime bounceback situation 

i think janis could profile as a stud elite WR as i see ty as more of a randall cobb type. I actually drafted both but ty being on special teams kept him active and i needed a roster spot and ended up cutting janis. 

Personally i wish i had held on to richard rogers more he has a more direct path to success as i assume he will likely be the starter next year as well and I see GB as being a prime bounce back situation 
Rodgers has had this same "path" the past two years and failed to have much fantasy relevance. The team performance has very little to do with Rodgers production as evidenced by 2014. The Pack was one onside kick recovery away from a Super Bowl and Rodgers barely registered on the fantasy radar. What makes you think 2016 will be different?

I'm surprised by the somewhat negative tone in here. I picked Ty in a lot of rookie drafts last year (almost all of them actually), but it was a more of a "wow he's really cheap" thing and not so much a "wow I think this guy is great" thing. I was usually able to get him as a 3rd-4th rounder. I didn't expect much from him, but he exceeded my expectations by a pretty wide margin. He had a really nice camp where he got a lot of buzz and then worked his way onto the field early in the season, where he showed some nice flashes before injuries ended his season. He looked really athletic in limited duty. Some highlights here:

As I've cautioned elsewhere, before you get too hung up on him, you have to understand what he is/isn't. I think he's somewhat underwhelming as a pure outside receiver. He isn't a great route runner and struggles to make contested catches downfield. On the other hand, he's an absolute beast over the middle of the field. Faster and more athletic than most linebackers, but strong and physical enough to be a handful for DBs to deal with. Now on paper there isn't a lot of opportunity there with Cobb entrenched as the slot guy, but Cobb was actually a big flop last season, playing worse than he has in years. I don't know if Cobb has the body type to survive the physical role that he's been used in, so while I'm not predicting his imminent demise, I'm not sure if he's going to be a fixture there or not. I think GB would've greatly benefited by having a healthy Montgomery down the stretch, as their passing attack really sputtered without any viable weapons.

So where do you rate him? Well, recent history has shown us that non-traditional weapons can thrive in the NFL. Guys like Jordan Reed, Wes Welker, and Aaron Hernandez did not fit the ideal mold for prolific FF stats at their positions, but have been able to achieve significant FF relevance by virtue of creating mismatches in the middle of the field. I don't see why Montgomery can't do something similar. I don't know if he's ever going to be a huge reception machine like Welker, but I can see him being a constant presence as a short-intermediate weapon for GB. I read nothing but good things about him last preseason and what we saw in the regular season was encouraging. I understand if people don't see it this way, but to me I'm not selling for anything less than a 1st round pick. A 2nd round rookie pick isn't enough. The truly special prospects (the 1st round NFL draft picks) tend to go in the top 8-10 picks of the rookie draft, which means the 2nd+ rounds are just a grab bag of second tier talents (2nd-4th round NFL draft picks). Montgomery was a 3rd rounder himself, is in a great situation, and has already shown flashes of competence. So to me he's worth more than the random 2nd round grab bag pick.

I'll be holding/buying this offseason. I already have him almost everywhere and I don't plan to add any new leagues this offseason, but *if* I were doing a startup then he's exactly the type of name I'd be looking at in that round 10-15 range, assuming that his ADP falls there. Very little hype, very low risk, and potentially a very nice reward. I grabbed Nelson and Jones in that range in a draft several years ago when they were at the same stage of their careers and it worked out very nicely. I'd feel good taking a punt on Ty for a mediocre pick.

Last edited by a moderator:
32 Counter Pass said:
Rodgers has had this same "path" the past two years and failed to have much fantasy relevance. The team performance has very little to do with Rodgers production as evidenced by 2014. The Pack was one onside kick recovery away from a Super Bowl and Rodgers barely registered on the fantasy radar. What makes you think 2016 will be different?
Tight ends generally take some time to be fully productive at the NFL level - moreso than any other skill position.

I like what I saw from Ty.  The biggest issue is short term Jordy and Cobb are the main targets.  Adams was a high pick.  Janis looked good in the playoffs.  Abberderis also had some moments.  It's going to be tough to sort out WR 3-6 on this squad and playing time might be limited for a while meaning you may have to hold a while to know what you really have.

I like what I saw from Ty.  The biggest issue is short term Jordy and Cobb are the main targets.  Adams was a high pick.  Janis looked good in the playoffs.  Abberderis also had some moments.  It's going to be tough to sort out WR 3-6 on this squad and playing time might be limited for a while meaning you may have to hold a while to know what you really have.
and that is the issue, i only have a 3 year window to keep him. So do we think he is a viable wr2-3 by 2017 season? 

32 Counter Pass said:
5 targets per week isn't gonna get it done. He's treated like a normal TE not someone special. This is certainly not Favre's TE friendly offense but one loaded at WR. More often than not, it seemed he only had 1 or 2 targets outside the red zone. I don't have stats to support this (surely they are out there somewhere) but his role is about red zone TE. Very limited for FF. A TD can make him serviceable, points wise, to cover a bye but anything else is 'pushing it.' 

If this is discussed and they plan to incorporate him more in the O, well then I'd be all aboard this train but I doubt it. Most of their WRs are comfy in the middle of the field and athletic enough to pull it off too. I just don't think the need is there.

(RotoWire) Montgomery was on the field for 21 of a possible 57 snaps on offense in Sunday's 20-7 loss to Miami, Mike Reiss of ESPN.com reports.
Analysis: In the process, Montgomery carried twice for minus-two yards and caught three of his four targets for 15 yards and a TD. Given that rookie Pierre Strong was inactive in Week 1, it looks like Montgomery has a decent grip on the Patriots' change-of-pace duties early on this season, while Damien Harris and Rhamondre Stevenson (who saw two passing targets Sunday) remain the team's primary early-down options. Looking ahead, Montgomery possesses modest fantasy utility in PPR-friendly formats, with his weekly volume likely to be dependent on varying game plans and game flows.

He's turned out to be the ultimate tweener. I really felt his best career outcome would've been as WR. Think Deebo with less talent.

GB did the RB convert thing and ever since then he's been kind of pigeon-holed as a "weapon" with no real position.

It's had some fun moments, but I think his flexibility actually hurt him. It's sort like an inverse Tyreek. Tyreek was mediocre in college as a gadget player. Once he switched to full-time WR, the light bulb really went on. Montgomery was never going to be elite like that, but he showed a lot of promise early as a slot weapon and then they pulled him into the backfield, which is IMO not an ideal fit.

Users who are viewing this thread