What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Michael Thomas, NO (1 Viewer)

He's really flipped the script from predraft chatter, where I feel like I read a lot of people saying he wasn't special, and was a bit of a diva.

I took him 9th in a May 31 rookie draft.   Where would he be going in rookie drafts now? 3rd? 4th? 
Probably going to go elliott treadwell coleman doctson shepard thomas henry dixon in a lot of drafts, but i can see thomas going ahead of treadwell or behind henry and dixon.  For me, the only guys i definitely like better are coleman and henry.  I like him about the same as Treadwell or doctson, and clearly ahead of dixon, which is more than i liked him 2 months ago.  That's about as high as someone should be on him.  

Then trade down.  1.2 - 1.4 are, have been, and will continue to be Treadwell, Coleman and Doctson.  Thomas may move up to 1.5, but I doubt it (Shepard).  At 1.6 it starts getting interesting with the other RBs vs Thomas.  I suspect he won't climb any higher than 1.6-1.7 between now and opening day.
I suspect that too. As mentioned I confidently traded to 1.6 in my draft 2 weeks ago; not so sure I'd be as confident doing that for a draft that begins next week.  

Then trade down.  1.2 - 1.4 are, have been, and will continue to be Treadwell, Coleman and Doctson.  Thomas may move up to 1.5, but I doubt it (Shepard).  At 1.6 it starts getting interesting with the other RBs vs Thomas.  I suspect he won't climb any higher than 1.6-1.7 between now and opening day.
I had the 1.5 in May. Didn't love Henry in PPR. Had it down to Shepard and Thomas. My consensus list like Shepard better, but it was close. So I watched all the clips on DraftBreakdown for each player. I came away thrilled to get Thomas. I thought he looked like he had much more upside, and was much closer to a WR1, then Shepard was. I tried to trade down to 1.6, 1.7 or 1.8 but no one would bite. Happy to have him.

The New Orleans Times-Picayune reports second-round WR Michael Thomas has looked like a "bonafide playmaker" this summer.
Per reporter Jeff Duncan, Thomas has "earned the complete trust of every quarterback on the roster," and become a "go-to receiver in key situations." Thomas' praise has been unending since his selection on day two of the draft, but expectations should still remain tempered with so many mouths to feed in New Orleans' offense. He's a WR4/5 flier in fantasy drafts.

Source: New Orleans Times-Picayune 
Aug 9 - 7:00 PM

Saints second-round WR Michael Thomas caught 4-of-6 targets for 67 yards in Thursday night's preseason opener against the Patriots.
Thomas was listed as a second-team receiver on the Saints' initial training camp depth chart this week, behind Brandon Coleman. But if tonight's game accounts for anything, Thomas should be passing Coleman in no time. Thomas made a splendid, over-the-shoulder 28-yard grab at the right sideline before halftime and led all Saints players in catches, yards, and targets. Coleman, meanwhile, was targeted once, and it was pick-sixed by ILB Jamie Collins.

Aug 11 - 10:25 PM

Not sure how he's just a WR4 /5 type at this point, Was drafted very high and has had nothing but glowing reports. I'm excited to have nabbe dhim in more than one dynasty, and have been quietly adding him in the middle rounds of many redrafts. Honestly expecting WR3 numbers this year.

Not sure how he's just a WR4 /5 type at this point, Was drafted very high and has had nothing but glowing reports. I'm excited to have nabbe dhim in more than one dynasty, and have been quietly adding him in the middle rounds of many redrafts. Honestly expecting WR3 numbers this year.
In general I agree but I wonder how many targets is he going to get. They have a lot of weapons there and I have a feeling Brees go-to is going to be Cooks, Snead and Fleener.

I pick at 2 and 5. I almost am tempted to take this guy at 2, and then let the rest of the league make the decision for me as between Treadwell, Coleman and Doctson at 5. He seems to have the most sure-thing value here. 

He's steadily moving up in mocks. Redraft Sunday (8/28) can't come soon enough lol. Definitely a guy I'll be targeting a round ahead of his ADP because even drafting him as a WR4/5 he's seriously undervalued ATM. He's generally coming off the board around Dorsett and I love both this year.

I pick at 2 and 5. I almost am tempted to take this guy at 2, and then let the rest of the league make the decision for me as between Treadwell, Coleman and Doctson at 5. He seems to have the most sure-thing value here. 
Coleman thomas and shepard are probably the new 2 3 4 with treadwell 5 and doctson 6.  

In general I agree but I wonder how many targets is he going to get. They have a lot of weapons there and I have a feeling Brees go-to is going to be Cooks, Snead and Fleener.
Snead is not a stud.  Hes a warm body who caught 900 yards and 3 tds from a hall of fame qb.  

Fleener isnt either.  Brees does love throwing to big receivers but thomas is 6'3".  

Snead is not a stud.  Hes a warm body who caught 900 yards and 3 tds from a hall of fame qb.  

Fleener isnt either.  Brees does love throwing to big receivers but thomas is 6'3".  
I guess I'm just not a fan of rookie WR for fantasy. I think Snead can be a reliable target yet again and chain mover.

I don't understand the Snead hate.  Thomas looked good last night, but Snead has been catching a lot of balls in camp too.  Brees likes him.

I dont hate snead.  I think hes good for what he is.  But he had 900 yards as a rookie and the defensively deficient saints still used a top 40 pick on another wide receiver who is bigger faster and better than him.  The writing is on the wall.

Coleman over Thomas?  Or is Thomas now hitting first rookie receiver off the board status?
I would go coleman thomas shepard in that order for dynasty but i can totally see anyone preferring any of them and treadwell is right there.  So is henry for that matter.  People have been sleeping so hard on this rookie class and they're about to find out.

I've got Thomas's comps as:

Roy Williams
Michael Thomas
David Terrell
Bryant Johnson
Jordan Matthews

Suspect he'll look good in a strong passing offense and/or as the #2 option, but will never emerge as either a legit NFL or FF #1.  At his current price I'm not touching him.

Thomas and Shepherd APPEAR to be in line for the two best rookie WR seasons from this years class.  I would pick either of them as first rookie wr in a re-draft.

Long term, I still like Treadwell, Shepherd, Doctson, and Coleman better in terms of WRs. I would pick Thomas ahead of Henry, but its close.

The reason we downgraded thomas pre draft was his college production which was good when called upon but didn't have the volume.  We could measure his physical ability but didn't know if he had the skills.

The reason the glowing reviews from minicamps, training camps and his first pre season game matter is that they give us more and more confirmation that he has the skill to match his physical ability.  He's not just big and fast, he knows how to play.  

A couple months ago when he was working with brees he wanted to make a sight adjustment.  They had never taught this to him or discussed it.  Brees looked at him, thomas gave him a nod, and they adjusted correctly and hit the play perfectly.  

Those kinds of reports are more important than him making a couple really nice catches last night.  It helps to see him succeed against someone other than the saints secondary, but the more important thing is that he knows how to play and he is good at it.  It answers the biggest question we had about him.

The biggest questions about coleman was his size and route running.  About shepard his size and role with obj getting all the attention.  About treadwell his speed.  About doctson his late development and crowded position in washington and now his injury.  Coleman has already answered some of those questions - and small, jumpy, fast receivers are doing well in the nfl right now the way the rules are today.  Shepard sounds better than i expected. I still question how big he can be opposite obj but he could be a 1a receiver the way people are talking him up.  Exciting stuff.  Treadwell and doctson haven't had the chance to really answer their questions yet, but theyre really good too. I would be happy with any of them, but thomas has joined the top group in a big way.

bostonfred said:
The reason we downgraded thomas pre draft was his college production which was good when called upon but didn't have the volume.  We could measure his physical ability but didn't know if he had the skills.

The reason the glowing reviews from minicamps, training camps and his first pre season game matter is that they give us more and more confirmation that he has the skill to match his physical ability.  He's not just big and fast, he knows how to play.  

A couple months ago when he was working with brees he wanted to make a sight adjustment.  They had never taught this to him or discussed it.  Brees looked at him, thomas gave him a nod, and they adjusted correctly and hit the play perfectly.  

Those kinds of reports are more important than him making a couple really nice catches last night.  It helps to see him succeed against someone other than the saints secondary, but the more important thing is that he knows how to play and he is good at it.  It answers the biggest question we had about him.

The biggest questions about coleman was his size and route running.  About shepard his size and role with obj getting all the attention.  About treadwell his speed.  About doctson his late development and crowded position in washington and now his injury.  Coleman has already answered some of those questions - and small, jumpy, fast receivers are doing well in the nfl right now the way the rules are today.  Shepard sounds better than i expected. I still question how big he can be opposite obj but he could be a 1a receiver the way people are talking him up.  Exciting stuff.  Treadwell and doctson haven't had the chance to really answer their questions yet, but theyre really good too. I would be happy with any of them, but thomas has joined the top group in a big way.
Man.  Hard year to have the 2 pick.

Man.  Hard year to have the 2 pick.
LT I like Doctson & Treadwell, but if you're in win now mode it's hard to bet against the volume available in NO. I do think Coleman & Shepard stand a good chance to put up WR3 numbers in 2016 but to me Thomas has the most upside for the upcoming year.

(preface, none of these guys can even carry Randy's jockstrap) BUT even Randy Moss had Cris Carter.

If we are talking redraft, I think it makes sense to consider who each WR will be lining up across from. 

Not that Defenses can't adjust, but in NYG OBJ is getting the #1 coverage and the safety rolling over the top, meaning Shepherd should be one on one against a teams #2 CB.  Thomas has the best, most accurate QB of the bunch, and should get #2 coverage since Cooks is there. 

Coleman will probably be the #1 in CLE, and if not, if he flashes, there is nothing stopping the opposing team from putting the #1 CB on him.   So a rookie WR against #1 CB. Once Gordon is ready contribute, maybe, but that is a lot of ifs.

Treadwell, Doctson, lets not even go there.

Why are there comments in here that Thomas can't be a #1?  Why can't he be Colston or better than Colston?  What about what you are seeing, other than pedigree, suggests that he can't be a legit NFL WR1? Great size and athleticism and he's clearly "getting it" faster than a rookie should.  What am I missing?

remember that rookie M. Colston ?  I love Snead, I think he'll do great in PPR, Bree's and the Saints are going to pass pass pass...... but Thomas could be special.

COLSTON ROOKIE SEASON

Why are there comments in here that Thomas can't be a #1?  Why can't he be Colston or better than Colston?  What about what you are seeing, other than pedigree, suggests that he can't be a legit NFL WR1? Great size and athleticism and he's clearly "getting it" faster than a rookie should.  What am I missing?
People see cooks as the number one because he has been their number one and been pretty successful in that role. But cooks got off to a slow start last year when the saints tried to use him like a true number one, instead of using his speed as a platform to make his other routes more dangerous.  That's what he's best at.  Thomas has the size/speed combo to play inside or out.  

Show me a short catch going big

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6281217/4hkhoX4.0.gif

Show me a contested catch in double coverage

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6281217/4hkhoX4.0.gif

Show me strong hands on the sideline

http://i.imgur.com/PtBZx0P.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/C0KM6Cp.gif

He's a big , strong handed receiver with good body control and athleticism and it's starting to show on an nfl field.  

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/_16TwLuXPGOrlSBDv1CzB3r8CR0=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/6928353/Thomas.0.gif

This is happening folks.  Be a part of it.

^^" Show me a contested catch in double coverage."

Has the same link as the "short catch going big" 

Other than that nice post

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe he won't be a true WR1 for fantasy purposes this year.  If he's a strong WR2, this year, he will easily be worth drafting top-5 in rookie drafts.

My concern  long term is "WHO"will be Qb after Brees. Brees is no spring chicken.
Maybe Garrett Grayson? I kind of like him.

I trust Sean Payton to be able to develop a QBoTF and an excellent offensive system to support whoever that QB will be. Not that they will be Drew Brees who is an amazing player, but good enough to support these young WR in the future.

Not specific to this situation, but i trust a  veteran receiver who played with a qb if he plays with another good qb in the same system (or a great qb in a different system).

Saints coach Sean Payton says he would draft Michael Thomas if he played fantasy football.
Payton is often good for a colorful quote, but he's actually one of the league's least-reliable coaches when it comes to actions matching words. Thomas is certainly worthy of hype, but will be battling for targets in an offense crowded with talented pass catchers. He's closer to being a WR5 than WR3.

Source: Mike Triplett on Twitter 
Aug 23 - 1:36 PM

Saints rookie WR Michael Thomas caught his lone target for 23 yards in Friday night's third preseason game.
Thomas mixed in with the ones when Drew Brees was on the field, surpassing Brandon Coleman on the depth chart and playing in red-zone situations. Thomas' 23-yard catch was delivered by Luke McCown. An exciting second-round rookie, Thomas hasn't yet earned a full-time role with New Orleans' first-team offense. Thomas belongs in the double-digit rounds of fantasy drafts.

Aug 27 - 12:01 AM

Thomas belongs in the double-digit rounds of fantasy drafts.
I traded Tevin Coleman to the Freeman owner for Michael Thomas to be my WR6. 

The way the draft played out, I had more RBs than WRs and this deal gives me better balance. 

how many 750 yd seasons does he have?

I really feel like if the kid is as talented as the talk going around, Brees will find a way to get him the ball. May not be week one, but id bet that he starts out snapping snead sooner than later. Im actually hoping for a slow start so around week 3-4 i can start shooting offers to panicked owners

Him being listed as a starter is all you can ask for at this point.  If the Saints. Oakland game is a shootout like many expect your chance of getting him cheap could be gone as soon as this week.

how many 750 yd seasons does he have?
Are you talking about college? If so, two. He wasn't in an offense that allowed him to catch 1000+ yards. Not comparing him in talent (though who really knows until we see him in real game action), but his college numbers are pretty similar to AJ Green.

To me, seems like the reality is that the Saints have a lot of offensive weapons, and spread the ball around a lot already, so while Thomas might be bigger/faster/stronger than a guy like Snead, seems like all three (Cooks/Snead/Thomas) are going to limit ceiling on each other. It's a high class problem for the Saints, but in terms of fantasy, not sure you are going to see consistency from any of these guys.

To me, seems like the reality is that the Saints have a lot of offensive weapons, and spread the ball around a lot already, so while Thomas might be bigger/faster/stronger than a guy like Snead, seems like all three (Cooks/Snead/Thomas) are going to limit ceiling on each other. It's a high class problem for the Saints, but in terms of fantasy, not sure you are going to see consistency from any of these guys.
I agree with this, but the same was true for colston and he was a perennial wr1.  I think thomas is a better colston and cooks is a much better devery henderson - but give me thomas over cooks because i like guys who catch touchdowns too

Users who are viewing this thread