What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Michael Thomas, NO (4 Viewers)

Snead listed as starter with Cooks last I checked, the FBG version of the depth chart showing the same with Thomas listed as the three wide out set starter.

Also, about an hour ago his health changed to Questionable. And I just got an email update stating that but no specifics.

Anyone know what's up with that?

Still Q today - remember there's no probable this year - but beat writers saying he'll play. He was "present" at Friday practice; nothing definitive as to whether he was limited or not.

Has been getting involved to a degree. Anyone want to take a guess where he's at end of the year in redraft PPR? Still a strong redraft hold?

Has been getting involved to a degree. Anyone want to take a guess where he's at end of the year in redraft PPR? Still a strong redraft hold?
Definitely still a hold. Yes, he's the WR3 in NO, but they're going to throw a ton this year and if something were to happen to Snead or Cooks, he would be in line for way more targets.

I read that Snead has a toe issue, and missed practice Friday. If he sits Saturday too, I'm playing Thomas and getting the popcorn ready!

Fantasy Football: Monday Night Football Takeaways

The Good ... 

Saints WR Michael Thomas (7 receptions, 71 yards, 1 TD) – With Willie Snead missing the game with a toe injury, Thomas saw a bump in playing time and targets. Those numbers will decrease once Snead comes back. But believe it or not, Thomas in on pace for 91 receptions after three games. Will he reach that number? Probably not. But if either Snead or Brandin Cooks were to miss an extended period of time with an injury, Thomas would be a must own in all leagues.
In addition to the 11 targets, he saw the field for 89% of snaps on Monday - more than any other skill-position player except Brees and Cooks. Seems to have become the clear-cut #3 WR and maybe even the #3 receiving option overall depending on whether you believe in Fleener.

:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Any more thoughts on this guy? If he takes the Colston role as we hope, we've struck gold. I think he's already surpassed expectations, although Snead was out one of those games, and can continue to grow. 

Gets lots of snaps, sees redzone looks and may already be the one of the first options in those situations. 

Any more thoughts on this guy? If he takes the Colston role as we hope, we've struck gold. I think he's already surpassed expectations, although Snead was out one of those games, and can continue to grow. 

Gets lots of snaps, sees redzone looks and may already be the one of the first options in those situations. 
Think Snead is the first option ahead of him when he's healthy based on the first four games before he got hurt. Once Brees develops that trust with Thomas, that could change. If he's really the Colston role, both can prosper in this offense. But what about Cooks? Field is getting a bit crowded.

Seems like he is building more and more trust with Brees as the weeks go by. Good to see him getting the redzone targets as well. 

Thomas is currently 2nd on the team in targets with only one less target than Brandin Cooks.

He did struggle for receptions in the most recent game against the Chargers, but he has averaged 10 targets per game the last two weeks.

All of this is really better than could be expected for the rookie WR even by the most optimistic of his fans.

Thomas is currently 2nd on the team in targets with only one less target than Brandin Cooks.

He did struggle for receptions in the most recent game against the Chargers, but he has averaged 10 targets per game the last two weeks.

All of this is really better than could be expected for the rookie WR even by the most optimistic of his fans.
That can also be attributed to Snead's injury opening the door for those targets. It's hard to read into that given the circumstances. 

Targets looking forward will be dependent on Snead's health, IMO. If Snead comes out of the BYE healthy, I could see the targets dropping precipitously.  Right now it's kind of a crap shoot - I'm starting both this week due to BYE, so I hope they're both solid, but it's difficult to predict. 

Not trying to rain on the Thomas parade - he helped me win a couple weeks ago. I love the kid. Just looking at targets with a big-picture view. Redzone targets might be his saving grace if his targets do decrease, so I expect him to have value either way.  

That could be. It would also explain why Fleener has gotten higher percentage looks since Snead was injured as well. The increased targets for Brandon Coleman may be because of the absence of Snead as much as any other player.

Thomas is still just a rookie, but he was being targeted 5 and 4 times in the first two games, so this increase may be related to Sneads injury, or it may be because Thomas is getting more experienced with the offense.

Cooks has been healthy, this has not prevented Thomas from getting almost as many targets as he has, despite the other weapons that the Saints have available.

I could be wrong, but I do not really see the connection between Snead and Thomas as far as their roles in the offense. Perhaps someone could explain that to me?

The Saints are averaging an amazing 44 passing attempts per game over the 4 games they have played thus far. I think there is plenty to go around and with all of the other players being healthy (besides Snead) Thomas has still earned the second highest market share in a passing offense that is spreading the ball around to many different players.

Sorry...I can't see Snead being much of a long-term obstacle to this kid. It looks like he's already gained Brees' trust too.

He isn't going to put up fantasy WR1 or even 2 numbers this year, but he'll continue to get enough targets and oppurtunities to be an ok #3 or flex.

Bye week issues force me to put him in my lineup (given up on Enunwa as being anything more than a possession WR and I play non-ppr). I may pull the trigger on Cameron Meredith before Sunday though.

Thing I like about Thomas is his size and I think he has explosiveness (although you can't tell from his 11 ypc).  Cooks and Snead are shrimps, very good players but not very big, which makes Thomas and Fleener more interesting in TD heavier leagues.  Right now Thomas looks much more sure handed than Fleener, 67% catch rate vs 46%, and that may not be an aberration.  Fleener has a career 58% catch rate (64% was his best year) so he may not improve that much as he gets more comfortable with Brees.

It could just be blind hope by me, and it probably is, but even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut (before getting devoured by a wolf).

I just picked Thomas up after watching more of his tape. Really good body control, fluid, quick, appears to have great hands. Unless he gets bumped by more experienced pass catchers i think he's better than a WR3 ROS.

Bye week issues force me to put him in my lineup (given up on Enunwa as being anything more than a possession WR and I play non-ppr). I may pull the trigger on Cameron Meredith before Sunday though.
I would pull the trigger on Meridith today. 

He's a clear target favorite of Hoyer, and Chicago is in pass mode a lot. 

Thomas is in my lineup this week (along with Snead, if healthy) so it's not like I'm down on the guy at all, but I think Meredith has a higher floor until we see how things shake out after the BYE in terms of target distribution. 

And I think Meredith should be rostered in 12+ team leagues regardless - he looks good out there. Good luck. 

Prob sticking him in my Flex spot over a Chargers WR this week.
Likely a good call. Rivers distribution seems to be fluid week to week - every week it's a different guy. And now Gates is back, and immediately becomes the #1 red zone target, further reducing the WRs value.  I think Thomas has a higher floor than the Chargers WRs not named Travis Benjamin. 

Actually found him in the FA pool (short benches) was surprised. Didn't know he was dropped. Picked him up hoping for some bye week work. Saw some good targets over the last two games.

I would pull the trigger on Meridith today. 

He's a clear target favorite of Hoyer, and Chicago is in pass mode a lot. 

Thomas is in my lineup this week (along with Snead, if healthy) so it's not like I'm down on the guy at all, but I think Meredith has a higher floor until we see how things shake out after the BYE in terms of target distribution. 

And I think Meredith should be rostered in 12+ team leagues regardless - he looks good out there. Good luck. 
Just for you I'm gonna roll with Meredith.

Now I have someone to blame when I lose.

Before the season i thought he had a chance to become an annual 1100/9 guy.  Even though he has yet to break 80 yards in a game, 1100/9 looks like it's achievable as a rookie.  Remember that he has the speed to break a couple and probably will soon.  I think he's become a must start at home, and a realistic every week option as well.

6 catches 58 yards

4 catches 56 yards

7 catches 71 yards 1 td

4 catches 41 yards 1 td

5 catches 78 yards 1 td

That's 26 catches for 304 yards and 3 tds in his first 5 games, pace for 83/960/10.

He's got 16 catches for 190 yards and 3 tds in his last 3 games - pace for 85/1000/16.  

Take out his best and worst games and 17 for 170 and 2 tds in 3 games - pace for 91/910/11.

That includes the first 5 games of his nfl career which started with an ankle injury (scroll up on this page) and also includes two where snead was clearly ahead of him and playing lights out to start the season. It also includes 3 of his 8 home games.

WR have not been a position of strength for me, djax definitely not panning out to what I thought he was going to be.  Thomas has been a savior for sure, glad this guy is looking better each week, may end up being a huge steal by the end of the year if he keeps up this production.

This guy has definitely worked himself into 1A and 1B with Cooks. Tied in targets, leads team in RZ looks.

Things just have progressively gotten better for us Thomas owners since the beginning of the season (although I've only had him for 3 weeks).

13 targets and 10 receptions on Sunday when all Saints receivers are healthy and playing, against a decent defense on the road? Count me in!

He's going to have a hard time leaving my lineup, and he's pretty much a must-start at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Through 6 games he on pace for 96 catches, 1175 yards and 8 tds.  

Take out his best and worst games and he has 22/262/2 in 4 games - pace for 88/1048/8.

Bear in mind snead missed a game and brees has been playing extremely well.  Brees is averaging 350 yards and 2.8 tds per game, which can't last.  But thomas is improving as a player, while the fluky plays this season were things like cooks catching a 99 yard pass and fleener catching a 50 yard td thatbwasn't intended for him.  Thomas has long speed but hasn't broken any huge plays that skew his stats.

bostonfred said:
Through 6 games he on pace for 96 catches, 1175 yards and 8 tds.  

Take out his best and worst games and he has 22/262/2 in 4 games - pace for 88/1048/8.

Bear in mind snead missed a game and brees has been playing extremely well.  Brees is averaging 350 yards and 2.8 tds per game, which can't last.  But thomas is improving as a player, while the fluky plays this season were things like cooks catching a 99 yard pass and fleener catching a 50 yard td thatbwasn't intended for him.  Thomas has long speed but hasn't broken any huge plays that skew his stats.
I started both Thomas and Snead with Evans this past weekend.  PPR gold. 

If Moncrief comes back this week I might have to flex Snead. 

Having Brees too puts a lot of eggs in one basket but it's working out so far.

i specifically targeted Thomas in trade thanks to some of the commentary in this thread right as Snead's injury was reported. 

Much appreciated folks. 

I started both Thomas and Snead with Evans this past weekend.  PPR gold. 

If Moncrief comes back this week I might have to flex Snead. 

Having Brees too puts a lot of eggs in one basket but it's working out so far.

i specifically targeted Thomas in trade thanks to some of the commentary in this thread right as Snead's injury was reported. 

Much appreciated folks. 
Also traded for Thomas this week!

pinkham13 said:
Also traded for Thomas this week!
Thinking of targeting Thomas in a trade this week; what did you give up? I have a glut at RB: Ingram, Gore, Booker, Mathews, Dion, James White...

Would love to unload Mathews before he fumbles away his starting gig, but I'm dreaming.

Users who are viewing this thread