What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Documentaries You've Seen ----> (1 Viewer)

Skoo

Footballguy
For whatever reason I just started going on a documentary binge. I used to find them boring, but now I realize that I really enjoy them, as long as it's a subject I have interest in.

This week I've watched the Bobby Fischer HBO Doc, Daft Punk Unchained, and the National Lampoons one. Also got about halfway through Tabloid last night which is pretty funny. It's about a tabloid story from the 70s when this girl kidnapped a Mormon guy she was in love with and proceeded to forcefully have sex with him over and over until he was "free from his Mormon brainwashing". The woman from the story is interviewed throughout most of it, it's pretty wild to hear the truth and then how she spun it all in her head.

There's obviously a ton of great docs out there, so I wanted to get some recommendations. If you can include a very brief synopsis that would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there is another thread on this but I will say "Inside Job"

I think there is another thread on this but I will say "Inside Job"
Thanks, I figured there might be a thread, but I'm pretty sure the search feature is screwed up because it only seems to be catching threads that have been active since the update.

That "The Seven Five" doc is very good. Highly recommend

They wouldn't really admit the murders, because of the statute of limitations (although it was heavily implied a few times).... but you know those guys were dropping bodies left and right.   Pretty Fing sick

King of Kong was great. The one about MOVE in Philly (thanks, Karma Police) was incredible. There are so many, I can only begin here. 

Two music ones I liked are on the bands Anvil (The Story of Anvil) and Pentagram (Last Days Here)

A great crime doc I saw recently (on Netflix) is Cropsey.

Whoa.  Truly terrifying.  There's this old footage of Geraldo in the 70s exposing this state home for crazy children... and it's probably the most horrifying thing I've ever seen in my life.  Gosh :(

Anyway, it closed down, but the people that lived there never really left the area (Statin Island)... made for lots of urban legends and even a true crime story with a nice trial to follow.

compare this janitor suspect guy they have from when he's being taken from his interrogation after confessing to his demeanor later... maybe he was on something but makes you wonder what they did to him.

A great crime doc I saw recently (on Netflix) is Cropsey.

Whoa.  Truly terrifying.  There's this old footage of Geraldo in the 70s exposing this state home for crazy children... and it's probably the most horrifying thing I've ever seen in my life.  Gosh :(

Anyway, it closed down, but the people that lived there never really left the area (Statin Island)... made for lots of urban legends and even a true crime story with a nice trial to follow.

Hidden Content

I watched that a couple of years ago.  Interesting but somewhat all over the place.   Once they settle down and get to the Gafforio etc murders it picks up. 

Has anyone seen The Staircase? I've heard great things and want to watch it but can't find it anywhere.

I'm gonna have to check out King of Kong as well.

Anyone watch Atari: Game Over? It's been on either HBO or Showtime recently. It's about how when ET the video game was a massive failure Atari supposedly buried like a million unpurchased cartridges somewhere in New Mexico. Had been an urban myth for a long time apparently.

I'm a little young for Atari as Nintendo was my 1st gaming system, but for some reason I really liked this.

I'm gonna have to check out King of Kong as well.

Anyone watch Atari: Game Over? It's been on either HBO or Showtime recently. It's about how when ET the video game was a massive failure Atari supposedly buried like a million unpurchased cartridges somewhere in New Mexico. Had been an urban myth for a long time apparently.

I'm a little young for Atari as Nintendo was my 1st gaming system, but for some reason I really liked this.

I watched it. It was good. Not great, but not a terrible way to spend 90 minutes.

Cropsey:    Agree, it didn't really know 100% what movie to be with the urban legends angle.  Could've done a background on that nut house for kids and then jumped right into the janitor and the trial. 

Has anyone seen The Staircase? I've heard great things and want to watch it but can't find it anywhere.

Watched all 8 eps the other day.   It's really good, but I heard about the case originally form a podcast called Criminal... and that picks up after the movie is done, so I was kind of disappointed it didn't touch on the info presented there.   It's a great doc and fascinating story though.  

(I got it off TPB or KAT)

The Atari one was kinda weak imo.  And I lived it. 2600 was my life!  

The food Inc one was interesting, but now I can't eat Tyson chicken anymore.

There was one about Rocky Point amusement park in R.I. that was cool.  

Recommended this one in the other thread  Witch Hunt

Thanks... guess I'll watch this right now

Here's a shotgun blast of a bunch of docs I have to watch right now... watched The Five Seven last night and that'll prob be the best of them... but if anyone is familiar with these titles, LMK what's good:

The Burglary 1971

Tales of the Grim Sleeper (HBO)

There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane (HBO)

Talhotblond

The Cheshire Murders

The Trials of Darryl Hunt

A Murder in the Park 

Give Up Tomorrow

4 Little Girls by Spike Lee worth the time.  From 1997, discusses the Birmingham, AL church bombings that killed four black girls.  From a historical perspective, I think it is very important viewing.   

Cocaine Cowboys Reloaded - about the explosion of the coke drug trade through Miami in the early 80's.  Plays often on Showtime and is amazing.

Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me (2012). The tragedy, bad luck and failure of one of America's most talented bands.

The Search for General Tso (2014). Who was General Tso, and why are we eating his chicken?

The Other One: The Long, Strange Trip of Bob Weir (2014). 

A Band Called Death (2012). The story of 1970's Detroit African American punk band. Another story of how tough it is to succeed commercially in the music biz.

Yes and it's excellent.  I cant remember where I saw it.  I know I had to join a doc club online with a 30 day free trial.  If I remember i will let you know.

Billy Corbin has a few good ones. 

Errol Morris has made many good ones but one of his originals is The Thin Blue Line in 1985 and it was ahead of its time. Showed a lot of corruption int he police departments and the justice system before anyone would really said much prior IMO. 

Netflix has one on Ukraine which is up for an Oscar here in the next couple weeks, it will bring tears to your eyes.

Hoop Dreams if it wasn't mentioned already...

Shoah is 10 hours on the holocaust, a bit much for some but well worth the time. 

Grizzly man and almost anything Werner Herzog attempts. 

I love documentaries and have watched a ton of them over the years.  Some of my favorites

The Paradise Lost series--about the west memphis three-- outstanding, there are 3 parts all roughly 2 hours long.  You can watch these on youtube

The Staircase--mentioned above is excellent

There is something wrong with aunt Diane-- about a lady going the wrong way on the taconic st parkway in NY, head on crash.  truly an awful scene, lots of kids killed.

Smartest guys in the room--Enron story

Cenral Park Five-- about 5 teens who confessed to a rape but they didnt do it

Thin Blue Line--mentioned earlier

An unreal dream--about a guy convicted of killing his wife, spends 25 years in prison until they catch the real killer--unbelievable story

Dear Zachary-- hard watch

capturing the Friedmans-- about sexual abuse case and how the family deals with it

Life Itself-- about Roger Ebert after his cancer

Cocaine Cowboys

Many others that I cant think of right now.  Some of these may be on netflix or amazon

Users who are viewing this thread