What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Documentaries You've Seen ----> (1 Viewer)

The Barkley Marathons - It's on Netflix now. Crazy marathon in a small town in Tennessee that only costs a $1.60 to enter.

Pretty crazy race, even if you're not a runner (I am not a runner) this is a fun watch.

eta: @soothsayer beat me to it. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one that I ended up with yesterday.  Hopefully I will get to it tonight.  Also got:

Meru, Visitors, Tabloid, Hell and Back Again, and American Movie (to watch again).
Let me know what you think of it.  I have "Stevie" in my list now to watch (one of your recommendations) and it looks very interesting. 

I love this thread by the way.  I look in every time its bumped to add new docs to my list to watch.  Thanks for the recommendations everyone!! :)

Johnnymac said:
Let me know what you think of it.  I have "Stevie" in my list now to watch (one of your recommendations) and it looks very interesting. 

I love this thread by the way.  I look in every time its bumped to add new docs to my list to watch.  Thanks for the recommendations everyone!! :)
Will do, and let us know what you think of Stevie.  I haven't seen it since that first time, but I remember being fascinated by it. 

I watched a Shockumentary called "The 2016 Presidential Election". You'd never believe who won if you didn't watch the whole thing. 

Meru-I'm not a documentary guy but this is the one I'd list as a great movie regardless of category.
Forks over Knives gives you a lot to think about regarding how and what we eat. Very good job on 
how things are presented and not over blown.

This is just a personal thing and I realize it has little to no national appeal, but it is an excellent documentary and had me pretty emotional at times as most things recalling Katrina do.

http://www.bigcharityfilm.com/

"Big Charity: The Death of America's Oldest Hospital"

If anything I guess it shows the power of documentaries, how effective they can be.
Wow I need to watch this one.  Wife is in healthcare and lost everything in Katrina.  She may not be able to watch with me.

Probably has been mentioned ...but I'm not searching.

Brother's Keeper ...it's been on Netflix for a long time and still there. 

This documentary by Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky details the murder trial of Delbert Ward. Delbert was a member of a family of four elderly brothers, working as semi-literate farmers and living together in isolation from the rest of society until William's death. A police investigation and Medical Examiner's autopsy suggested that Bill may not have died from natural causes and Delbert was arrested on charges of Second-Degree Murder. Under questioning by police, Delbert appears to have waived his rights and signed a confession, but this film suggests that he may not have been competent to do so. The film explores possible motives for the crime, from 'mercy-killing' (Bill was ill at the time) to progressively more bizarre hypotheses. It also shows how residents of the rural community of Munnsville, NY rallied to the support of one of their own residents (previously considered a social outcast), against what they felt were intrusive 'big-city' police and District Attorney tactics.

Probably has been mentioned ...but I'm not searching.

Brother's Keeper ...it's been on Netflix for a long time and still there. 

This documentary by Joe Berlinger and Bruce Sinofsky details the murder trial of Delbert Ward. Delbert was a member of a family of four elderly brothers, working as semi-literate farmers and living together in isolation from the rest of society until William's death. A police investigation and Medical Examiner's autopsy suggested that Bill may not have died from natural causes and Delbert was arrested on charges of Second-Degree Murder. Under questioning by police, Delbert appears to have waived his rights and signed a confession, but this film suggests that he may not have been competent to do so. The film explores possible motives for the crime, from 'mercy-killing' (Bill was ill at the time) to progressively more bizarre hypotheses. It also shows how residents of the rural community of Munnsville, NY rallied to the support of one of their own residents (previously considered a social outcast), against what they felt were intrusive 'big-city' police and District Attorney tactics.
Great one.  I second this recommendation. 

This is one that I ended up with yesterday.  Hopefully I will get to it tonight.  Also got:

Meru, Visitors, Tabloid, Hell and Back Again, and American Movie (to watch again).
This movie is great.  I love how many folks think these guys are acting throughout.  This is the way they always are.  I could probably start a whole thread about them.

Saw one years ago and do not know the name and have been trying to look it up so I could watch it again.  A guy coaches a group of troubled teens who are in a detention center and makes a football team out of them and they play high schools in football.  It was very inspiriring.    Anyone seen it and know the name?

Stevie   I have mentioned this one before.  This is the one that started my love for docs.  I took it home randomly after I bought the video store and was looking at the doc section we had.  Never really thought about watching them before so gave it a go.  It's by Steve James, director of Hoop Dreams
watching this right now... sort of.  WAY too long at nearly 2.5 hrs.   I think Hoop Dreams is boring too, I don't see how it makes the top of people's documentary lists all the time.

A good doc I watched recently is SOUR GRAPES.  Good companion to SOMM.  It's about the vintage wine auctions/industry.

Da Guru said:
Saw one years ago and do not know the name and have been trying to look it up so I could watch it again.  A guy coaches a group of troubled teens who are in a detention center and makes a football team out of them and they play high schools in football.  It was very inspiriring.    Anyone seen it and know the name?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0282537/

watching this right now... sort of.  WAY too long at nearly 2.5 hrs.   I think Hoop Dreams is boring too, I don't see how it makes the top of people's documentary lists all the time.

A good doc I watched recently is SOUR GRAPES.  Good companion to SOMM.  It's about the vintage wine auctions/industry.
Didn't realize that. 

Didn't realize that. 
And Hoop Dreams is nearly 3 hours. 

as for Stevie

He served is whole 10 year sentence, but then ended up in jail on a probation or parole violation for leaving the state.  I could only find one update and it was a Yahoo questions answer, but it seemed honest

I watched both Merchants of Doubt and Meru last night and really liked both.  

Merchants of Doubt was about what I expected (and I expected to be pissed off while watching, which happened), but there was a lot of interesting things in there that I hadn't known about.  I might get the book today at the library and see if there is even more in there/suggestions on more to read up on.  The fire ######ant thing was new to me, as was the extent that some of these guys crossed over to battle the science for multiple topics. 

The guys in Meru are just nuts.  As a first class wimp, I am fascinated by people who are driven to do this stuff, but don't understand it at all, especially that they continue after all the stuff that happened to them during and before the attempts.  Fantastic looking too and had some great shots of the areas they were climbing. 

And Hoop Dreams is nearly 3 hours. 

as for Stevie

He served is whole 10 year sentence, but then ended up in jail on a probation or parole violation for leaving the state.  I could only find one update and it was a Yahoo questions answer, but it seemed honest
I guess I was interested enough in both that I didn't remember them being overly long.  I thought both were fascinating, but as I said, I find damn near all docs fascinating. 

Not sure if there is a separate thread for this, but I watch the American Experience documentaries on PBS. They are fantastic.

Currently watching one on the Battle of Chosin in the Korean War. Jesus. War was ####### brutal back then.

Watched HBOs Eagles of Death Metal: Nos Amis. Examining the November 2015 Paris terrorist attacks from the perspective of the American rock band whose performance was cut short by the unspeakable violence, this emotional documentary chronicles the band's return to Paris to finish the show, both for their fans and themselves.

Incredible story, powerfully told and it turns out that I really like Eagles of Death Metal music.

Highly recommend.

Author: the JT Leroy Story.... Highly recommend this one about a ghost writer bringing the nom de plume to life. Absolutely crazy story

watching one right now on HBO called "Cries from Syria". Not an uplifting documentary, but from my limited knowledge of the whole situation gives a good overview and a brief history.

Our country can be a  :tfp:  more often then it should, and we have our fair share of ignorant, dim-witted people, but holy hell it could be a lot worse

Watched HBOs Eagles of Death Metal: Nos Amis. Examining the November 2015 Paris terrorist attacks from the perspective of the American rock band whose performance was cut short by the unspeakable violence, this emotional documentary chronicles the band's return to Paris to finish the show, both for their fans and themselves.

Incredible story, powerfully told and it turns out that I really like Eagles of Death Metal music.

Highly recommend.
I dig EDM too but I found this doc about 45 mins too long.

I dig EDM too but I found this doc about 45 mins too long.
That might be a matter of perspective as I didn't know them at all prior to this doc. So everything about them was new to me. The fact that I really enjoy their music really added to it. Understanding the meaning behind their band name also was really helpful to reconcile what it sounds like if you know nothing about them. 

For those who don't know; the name is exactly what it sounds like they are kind of like The Eagles but for death metal. Sounds bizarre but it's actually quite awesome. Give them a shot, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

The Woman Who Wasn't There

Finally got around to seeing this one about a woman who survived at the WTC on 9/11.  Very interesting narrative and overall a very good documentary IMO.  4.5/5

Amazon streaming video has a good series produced for Russian television in 2011 called Soviet Storm: World War II In The East

It's a very detailed account (weak CGI effects but that's not why youre watching anyway) of the German invasion a.k.a. The Great Patriotic War.

5 Came Back -- on Netflix

An interesting story about 5 American directors who filmed documentary footage during WWII.  John Ford shot footage at both D-Day and the battle of Midway, and he was wounded at both sites.

Just watched sour grapes, I enjoyed it.  Interesting look into the world of mega expensive wine

Just watched "Mommy Dead and Dearest" on HBO.  Holy crap was that messed up on so many levels. Worth a watch.  Every twist and turn gets weirder.

I read the synopsis of this and decided that I would never watch it. 
I saw DZ recently and saw this thread bumped, immediately thought of it. Most messed up story/documentary I'm sure I'll ever see in my lifetime. Just awful, story wise and all. Well produced, just so, so disturbing. 

JAMES! said:
I saw it. Seemed pretty straightforward case of child abuse and revenge. I was waiting for some big reveal.

I thought it was incredible.  What is straight forward about what that girl experienced?  That was some crazy next level abuse. 

I thought the step mom was pretty hot.   Looked like of like old Wonder Woman. 

I thought it was incredible.  What is straight forward about what that girl experienced?  That was some crazy next level abuse. 

I thought the step mom was pretty hot.   Looked like of like old Wonder Woman. 
I think the boyfriend would have killed someone regardless. He was as messed up as the rest of the bunch.

Users who are viewing this thread