What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best Documentaries You've Seen ----> (1 Viewer)

Jiro Dreams of Sushi

PlayaHata said:
13th - Eye-opening, especially in today's political climate
The three docs above are very, very good - highly recommend any of them.  "Man on Wire" was probably the most captivating documentary I've ever watched.

The most revolting/compelling/jaw-dropping one of all may have been "Capturing the Friedmans".  It won the 2003 Academy Award for best doc, but could be a tough watch for some.  The director made a movie about NY kid's birthday clowns and found out one of those guys had two family members accused of sexual abuse...and that the family made a ton of home movies capturing the entire family ordeal, debates, and tensions behind the scenes.  So he made the doc and mixed those home movies in with the evidence and follow-up interviews.  There's a huge media onslaught and a rush to judgment, but was is correct?  Fascinating doc if the subject matter doesn't eliminate it from your viewing consideration.

The three docs above are very, very good - highly recommend any of them.  "Man on Wire" was probably the most captivating documentary I've ever watched.

The most revolting/compelling/jaw-dropping one of all may have been "Capturing the Friedmans".  It won the 2003 Academy Award for best doc, but could be a tough watch for some.  The director made a movie about NY kid's birthday clowns and found out one of those guys had two family members accused of sexual abuse...and that the family made a ton of home movies capturing the entire family ordeal, debates, and tensions behind the scenes.  So he made the doc and mixed those home movies in with the evidence and follow-up interviews.  There's a huge media onslaught and a rush to judgment, but was is correct?  Fascinating doc if the subject matter doesn't eliminate it from your viewing consideration.

I think Jiro may be my favorite of all time. The dedication to his craft was incredible. Plus it made me super hungry.

Soul of America - I watched this the other day. I don't want to go into politics but it was pretty good. Not great, but Jon Meachem is definitely a smart guy and it was good to hear him compare some of the divisiveness of today's America with past times in US history.

I finally watched The Social Dilemma last weekend. HFS this is a disturbing yet accurate portrayal of social media today imo. I think it should be mandatory viewing for everyone. It’s fascinating (and messed up) to see what’s going on in politics right now reflect  many of the claims in this documentary. 4.5/5

Last edited by a moderator:
PlayaHata said:
Now that HBO Max is finally available on Roku, I was able to watch Class Action Park and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Shocked that Action Park was able to stay open as long as it did, but then again the 1980s was a different time.  No way that kind of stuff would fly in today's world.
Just watched this yesterday, loved it. Beyond just the madness of the park, it showed a whole different world. As someone who was a teenager in the 80s, and now has teenagers myself, it really did make me reflect on how different the world was just 30-40 years ago. 

I'm on another documentary binge.  All of these are on Netflix.  Apologies if any have been posted before, they're all very good.

My Octopus Teacher 
Saw it, very good.  I don't think most people realize how cold those temps he was (free) diving in every day really were. The amount of commitment that whole thing took is just insane.  Had he used a wetsuit and oxygen on his journey, the footage would've been a million times better, but his decisions were obviously understandable and made it all truly unique.

The Story of Fairytale of New York

Timely story of the creation and development of the song with some interesting interviews. 4/5

Just watched this yesterday, loved it. Beyond just the madness of the park, it showed a whole different world. As someone who was a teenager in the 80s, and now has teenagers myself, it really did make me reflect on how different the world was just 30-40 years ago. 
I have family that was injured at this park lol.

The Alpine slide was basically a death race

Have been through tons of documentaries and docu-series lately.  Here are ones that I have enjoyed

1.  The Ken burns series on country music was as great as expected.  Even if you aren't a country music fan

2.  AMC did a series called something like Hip Hop Songs that Changed the World and some really fun like Ladies First, the Queens/South Bronx "Bridge" feud, Jesus Walks, and others.  

3.  Showtime just did a documentary about Sonny Liston this week and man this guy's story is shady as hell and pretty fascinating.  Probably could have been much longer and I think there are a ton of stuff missing on it

4.  EPIX did a 4 part on the History of Punk which was fine for novice people but nothing most people didn't know already.  Funny watching them try to portray Green Day as punk.  
in this music vein, hearing this new Zappa doc by Alex Winter is great, its still an in the theater price on prime but I'll get it sometime this weekend 

Dealt, about Card Mechnic Richard Turner.  If you watch it, just get it, don't read about it.  Great ride
Watched this yesterday and his story is beyond incredible, but I was a little underwhelmed with the doc itself.

Edited to remove the spoiler since I can't figure out how to make the tags work LOL.

I just watched "The Phenomenon" today. It's about the history of UFO's and the military coverups. The last third of it features a number of credible air force pilots, politicians and first hand witnesses that really makes you rethink the stigma around UFO sightings.
PM for a stream link if interested.

I just watched "The Phenomenon" today. It's about the history of UFO's and the military coverups. The last third of it features a number of credible air force pilots, politicians and first hand witnesses that really makes you rethink the stigma around UFO sightings.
PM for a stream link if interested.
I watched it a couple of months ago. It’s definitely enlightening. 

What a wacky story, but a very fun and funny doc.
It got me thinking that some of these documentaries make dangerous criminals seem like nice guys.
Definitely, but who wouldn't want to buy a bunch of old soviet helicopters to fly out to a factory. Especially when you can just land in a random town with your helo and ask directions. :lmao:

Definitely, but who wouldn't want to buy a bunch of old soviet helicopters to fly out to a factory. Especially when you can just land in a random town with your helo and ask directions. :lmao:
That jumbo jet full of choppers, motorcycles, tanks, ninjas and whateverthe*F*else is like a crazy soviet version of a Turducken.

Operation Odesa on netflix, I highly recommend this as it is a fun watch and truly outrageous
I posted about this in the Netflix thread.  I'm very good friends with a couple who got to meet and party with Tarzan and Juan in all their 90s glory.  I texted them after watching the doc because they talked about Tarzan when they got back from their trip.  They watched the doc with their teenage daughter who was freaked out that her parents knew these people.  :lmao:  

They sent me photos of brochures they brought back from Juan's luxury rental car business.

I finally watched The Social Dilemma last weekend. HFS this is a disturbing yet accurate portrayal of social media today imo. I think it should be mandatory viewing for everyone. It’s fascinating (and messed up) to see what’s going on in politics right now reflect  many of the claims in this documentary. 4.5/5
Now watch The Great Hack

What a wacky story, but a very fun and funny doc.
It got me thinking that some of these documentaries make dangerous criminals seem like nice guys.
Watched this (Operation Odessa) last night.  Yeah, pretty good and I appreciated the lighter tone as many docs always go for the dark and broody. 

Crime Scene: The Vanishing at the Cecil Hotel.

On netflix.  About the missing girl who was acting all weird in the elevator then was found a couple weeks later in the water tanks on top of the roof.

I remember this from like 8 years ago.  That bizarre elevator video was all over social media and the news.  I remember at the time it being thought of as she was possessed or haunted or whatever, or murder.

It was worth a watch I think.

ghostguy123 said:

On netflix.  About the missing girl who was acting all weird in the elevator then was found a couple weeks later in the water tanks on top of the roof.

I remember this from like 8 years ago.  That bizarre elevator video was all over social media and the news.  I remember at the time it being thought of as she was possessed or haunted or whatever, or murder.

Just got this. Sounds interesting. 

4 episodes in to this one

crazy to me how quickly the internet spins up conspiracy theories and how many hours people seem to have spent chasing down rabbit holes

On a bit of a documentary kick with netflix.

"Tread" is next on the list.  Guy bulldozes an entire town.  Should be fun.  I vaguely remember this one

Edit.....wow.  Bulldozer dude went straight up gangster on that town.  Jesus.  

"Tread" is next on the list.  Guy bulldozes an entire town.  Should be fun.  I vaguely remember this one

Tread was excellent. that dude had his fill of ####.

Yup. I was living not too far away from Granby when it happened and was a real big deal. 

Not sure if mentioned in here, but Finders Keepers is freakin' hysterical.  Amazon Prime.  

Find out who gets to keep the leg...

Anybody here subscribe to CuriosityStream?  Streaming service completely dedicated to documentaries.  They ran a deal over the weekend charging $12 for a year.

I haven’t gotten through looking at a ton of the titles yet but it seems like they have some pretty good stuff here.

Staircase.  Wow is that Peterson guy unlikable.  And wow was that blood spatter guy a dunce.  That whole thing was a mess.  I fully believe he killed her, but wow they botched that crime scene and the prosecution.  Didnt matter though.  

Probably contravertial but jurys are stupid.   Hard to believe that's the best we got.  

Oh.  Three episodes into Making a Murderer.  Jesus wow.  

After seeing these last few documentaries ya wonder how many of these types of things are going on as we speak.  Good grief.  

Some Kind of Heaven

Documentary that looks at the senior citizen fantasy world that is The Villages (aka God’s Waiting Room) in FL. It follows different seniors and their experiences in this supposed idyllic community. It’s a pretty interesting film albeit a bit depressing. I recommend it. 4/5. 

Been watching The Lady and the Dale. Pretty amazing story I knew nothing about- understandably about the Lady more than the Dale, but not sure it needs more ethan two episodes...feeling stretched.

Eta..it's on HBO

Users who are viewing this thread