What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bernie Sanders HQ! *A decent human being. (5 Viewers)

He said this yesterday which got a chuckle from me.

You can't just continue growth for the sake of growth in a world in which we are struggling with climate change and all kinds of environmental problems. All right? You don't necessarily need a choice of 23 underarm spray deodorants or of 18 different pairs of sneakers when children are hungry in this country. I don't think the media appreciates the kind of stress that ordinary Americans are working on.
Lord forbid we have choices.

This is an observation from business and politics: people who believe and know their subject are better and more convincing than people who go in with notes and preconceived notions of what people want to hear. This is true even when their audience does not necessarily agree with the person on every single item, they tend to favor the person whom they trust more in knowledge and as a person. The above reads a little like he was a populist in VT, but it also sounds to me like he's not about pressing buttons. I think if someone hears Bernie, and they hear Hillary, with an open mind, most often (50+%) they will pick Bernie. The question is how many will get that chance and how many will be open minded. He does seem to have a history of upsets though. IIRC he first got into politics as mayor of a small town, those are the people who intrigue me the most, they get involved because they are civically active trying to improve things around them. It also sounds to me like VT is maybe more like our democracy was envisioned, smaller and more intimate.
The polls consistently show....
Did you even read what he wrote?
I did. But his implication is that people will find Bernie to be honest, and Hillary to be less than honest. They don't.
I do.

You can't just continue growth for the sake of growth in a world in which we are struggling with climate change and all kinds of environmental problems. All right? You don't necessarily need a choice of 23 underarm spray deodorants or of 18 different pairs of sneakers when children are hungry in this country. I don't think the media appreciates the kind of stress that ordinary Americans are working on.
I wish more liberals would embrace the virtues of competition. A guy like Sanders who rails against corporate power should logically be advocating for more competition, not less.

Yeah, this is the Bad Bernie. Self-righteous and sure he always knows best (not to mention always connecting every woe in the world to big business, even when the connection is tenuous).

Hopefully we'll see more of the Good Bernie on the campaign trail.

Yeah, this is the Bad Bernie. Self-righteous and sure he always knows best (not to mention always connecting every woe in the world to big business, even when the connection is tenuous).

Hopefully we'll see more of the Good Bernie on the campaign trail.
I don't have much of a problem with this quote, but I think it is a bad phrasing of his argument. I didn't take this to be an argument against choice or competition so much as a statement of: "we care more about promoting corporations, consumerism, energy companies, etc. than we do supporting our own citizens and protecting our natural resources for ourselves and our future." I feel like his references to sneaker and deodorant variety are a somewhat quick and lazy analogy for the way that we've been calculating economic success in our country, namely, "the economy must be doing great, look at all of the #### we make and what regular people can buy!" That's great, and that's, to some degree, what modern America is founded on. However, we need to realize that there are other important metrics that we should care about and that are not served by our current view of economic success. I don't know, maybe I'm reading too much into a bad soundbite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since Jeffrey Goldberg declared that Barack Obama is the "first Jewish President", that would make Bernie the second one.

My political daydream is Webb/Sanders ticket where Bernie is made the Grand Poobah of domestic policy (with lots of leeway) while Webb deals with the rest of planet Earth. Alas, the "two white guys" ticket is about to go the way of the way of the dodo bird, but as long as Elizabeth Warren chooses to sit on her hands we could have one last hurrah.

My political daydream is Webb/Sanders ticket where Bernie is made the Grand Poobah of domestic policy (with lots of leeway) while Webb deals with the rest of planet Earth. Alas, the "two white guys" ticket is about to go the way of the way of the dodo bird, but as long as Elizabeth Warren chooses to sit on her hands we could have one last hurrah.
Webb will get very few minority votes with positions like this, and that alone guarantees he won't win the Democrat primary given the increasing Democrat minority vote vs. the decreasing Democrat white vote.

Webb will get very few minority votes with positions like this, and that alone guarantees he won't win the Democrat primary given the increasing Democrat minority vote vs. the decreasing Democrat white vote.
How are Hillary and Bill supposed to justify the "end of welfare as we know it"? That can be forgotten, but this op-ed cannot?

How are Hillary and Bill supposed to justify the "end of welfare as we know it"? That can be forgotten, but this op-ed cannot?
I'd compare Sanders' twisted writing more to how the Clinton team treated people like Kathleen Willey, Paula Jones, Juanita Broaderick, Monica Lewinsky and numerous others....

Breaking: Hillary Unloads On Bernie

Just as Senator Bernie Sanders starts his campaign with some momentum. Someone or someone's campaign slipped this 43-year-old nugget out of the literary dustbin to discredit Sanders as a smart, active, courageous 73-year-old young man in 2015.

The 43-year old dirt on Bernie

This article is classic "Oppo 101": slime and try to define your opponent now before the other candidate defines you. Since Sen. Sanders has decided to focus on issues rather than slime against the Clinton campaign, it does make it easier for the Clinton campaign to fire first!

Just like with the State Department reluctant releases of Clinton's emails, no one should be surprised to see more old papers of Bernie's life during the cultural wars - with no explanation - in attempts to malign his campaign.

Just think about it: who has the money, the researchers, and the war room consultants digging up every factoid or half-truth peccadillo they can find? (Guess: It ain't Fmr. Gov. Martin O'Malley, or current "not running" undeclared Sen. Elizabeth Warren, or Vice President Joe Biden.)

It can only be the candidate who can't say anything substantive beyond the national Democratic platform (i.e., No TPP talk) because the campaign is already gearing to tack to the center after receiving the nomination!

'Nuff said.

(And, of course, she knows nothing. But, maybe David Brock does..)

Bring it on, Hillary! Let the games begin!
- Deleted from Daily Kos.

If neither Jezebel or National Review are worried about this essay, then I'm not too concerned. Does remind of the playbook for nullifying Ron Paul, though.

I tend to agree with Jezebel's take on it: that of a terrible stream of consciousness essay on feminism and how the (necessary) shaking off of traditional gender roles by women may foster sexual resentment. It's pretty pretentious, rambling, and more than a bit confusing (something I wouldn't absolve Sanders of entirely today, even), but I'll be surprised if it sinks him unless his opponents are able to keep talk only to those first three lines of the essay and not the following lines of talk on the importance of feminism.

EDIT: I'll also add that there's no way in my mind this wasn't Hillary's people digging it up. The right has no reason to attack him yet.

If neither Jezebel or National Review are worried about this essay, then I'm not too concerned. Does remind of the playbook for nullifying Ron Paul, though.

I tend to agree with Jezebel's take on it: that of a terrible stream of consciousness essay on feminism and how the (necessary) shaking off of traditional gender roles by women may foster sexual resentment. It's pretty pretentious, rambling, and more than a bit confusing (something I wouldn't absolve Sanders of entirely today, even), but I'll be surprised if it sinks him unless his opponents are able to keep talk only to those first three lines of the essay and not the following lines of talk on the importance of feminism.

EDIT: I'll also add that there's no way in my mind this wasn't Hillary's people digging it up. The right has no reason to attack him yet.
Genuine question....is anyone suggesting it WASN'T Hillary's people? To me, it was funny they went all the way back to the 70s. Should be clear to anyone what the motive of the "researchers" was.

Between this and the return to the 90% top tax rate, I'd say we have finally located a major political figure actually more stupid about economics than Barack (ATM) Obama.

Between this and the return to the 90% top tax rate, I'd say we have finally located a major political figure actually dumber on economics than Barack (ATM) Obama.
That's not dumb economics. Though some may want to state its unfair.

He says that 1/10th of 1% own 90% of everything. They should pay the taxes. Not everyone else fighting for the final 10%.

Between this and the return to the 90% top tax rate, I'd say we have finally located a major political figure actually dumber on economics than Barack (ATM) Obama.
That's not dumb economics. Though some may want to state its unfair.

He says that 1/10th of 1% own 90% of everything. They should pay the taxes. Not everyone else fighting for the final 10%.
It's so dumb even France has given up on it.

Genuine question....is anyone suggesting it WASN'T Hillary's people? To me, it was funny they went all the way back to the 70s. Should be clear to anyone what the motive of the "researchers" was.
Yeah, I would be extremely surprised if Hillary's people had anything to do with this. Why should she be scared of Bernie Sanders?

Yeah, I would be extremely surprised if Hillary's people had anything to do with this. Why should she be scared of Bernie Sanders?
Why would Nixon be afraid of McGovern?

He was afraid of the Democrats, not necessarily McGovern. But are you asserting that Hillary is the same kind of political paranoid figure Nixon was? Because there's nothing in her history to indicate that.

Exactly. Hillary and Nixon are pretty much interchangeable on ethics, policy, and paranoia. And that's not a good thing.

Exactly. Hillary and Nixon are pretty much interchangeable on ethics, policy, and paranoia. And that's not a good thing.
Of course they are.

He was afraid of the Democrats, not necessarily McGovern. But are you asserting that Hillary is the same kind of political paranoid figure Nixon was? Because there's nothing in her history to indicate that.
From the vast right wing conspiracy out to get them in the 90s? Ha Larry us

Dr Oadi said:
From the vast right wing conspiracy? Ha Larry us
Well that proves it. Everybody goes crazy about that 18 year old quote. The funny thing is she was right. There was a right wing conspiracy to get her husband and it was vast. He was accused of smuggling drugs out of Mena Arkansas, murdering Vince Foater, rape, and other assorted crimes. Witnesses were bought and paid for by conservative newspapers at the time and videos documenting his supposed wrongdoings were peddled on conservative talk shows. That's what she was talking about, and she assumed that Lewinsky was part of that. She was wrong about that part,but not about the conspiracy itself.

Of course they are.
Nixon erased the tapes; Hillary erased the emails.

Case closed.

Dr Oadi said:
Well that proves it.Everybody goes crazy about that 18 year old quote. The funny thing is she was right. There was a right wing conspiracy to get her husband and it was vast. He was accused of smuggling drugs out of Mena Arkansas, murdering Vince Foater, rape, and other assorted crimes. Witnesses were bought and paid for by conservative newspapers at the time and videos documenting his supposed wrongdoings were peddled on conservative talk shows. That's what she was talking about, and she assumed that Lewinsky was part of that. She was wrong about that part,but not about the conspiracy itself.
So . . . lots of smoke, but no fire.

Sure.

Of course they are.
Says the guy who actually thinks Nixon was a good president on policy.

Dr Oadi said:
Well that proves it.Everybody goes crazy about that 18 year old quote. The funny thing is she was right. There was a right wing conspiracy to get her husband and it was vast. He was accused of smuggling drugs out of Mena Arkansas, murdering Vince Foater, rape, and other assorted crimes. Witnesses were bought and paid for by conservative newspapers at the time and videos documenting his supposed wrongdoings were peddled on conservative talk shows. That's what she was talking about, and she assumed that Lewinsky was part of that. She was wrong about that part,but not about the conspiracy itself.
Oh my.

Of course they are.
actually no. I don't think he was good on policy. I think he was great on policy. One of our best in modern times in fact.

This was an alternative tabloid, old paper, from when Bernie lived in a small town in VT, a very small town, in 1972. This is an old piece of yellowed paper. Now Tim Murphy at Mother Jones is very capable of doing great, deep research. And I also guarantee you the Clintons have their supporters with editorial control in the mainstream press. However journalists are "given" things all the time. And the Clintons are infamous for just that kind of thing, getting dirt like this into mainstream press. - Bernie is doing better at fundraising than people expected and Hillary is doing worse. I think Bernie has someone's attention.

Dr Oadi said:
Well that proves it. Everybody goes crazy about that 18 year old quote. The funny thing is she was right. There was a right wing conspiracy to get her husband and it was vast. He was accused of smuggling drugs out of Mena Arkansas, murdering Vince Foater, rape, and other assorted crimes. Witnesses were bought and paid for by conservative newspapers at the time and videos documenting his supposed wrongdoings were peddled on conservative talk shows. That's what she was talking about, and she assumed that Lewinsky was part of that. She was wrong about that part,but not about the conspiracy itself.
She was mostly wrong about Whitewater too....many of her friends and business partners were convicted over that....

She hid her billing records until just after the statute of limitations ran out for Resolution Trust to investigate....

That was the small time stuff

The Mena conspiracy implicated Bush the elder and his two sons and Reagan too, so I don't think it was limited to just the right wing....

Of course they are.
actually no. I don't think he was good on policy. I think he was great on policy. One of our best in modern times in fact.
The record says otherwise.

Just as Senator Bernie Sanders starts his campaign with some momentum. Someone or someone's campaign slipped this 43-year-old nugget out of the literary dustbin to discredit Sanders as a smart, active, courageous 73-year-old young man in 2015.

This article is classic "Oppo 101": slime and try to define your opponent now before the other candidate defines you. Since Sen. Sanders has decided to focus on issues rather than slime against the Clinton campaign, it does make it easier for the Clinton campaign to fire first!

Just like with the State Department reluctant releases of Clinton's emails, no one should be surprised to see more old papers of Bernie's life during the cultural wars - with no explanation - in attempts to malign his campaign.

Just think about it: who has the money, the researchers, and the war room consultants digging up every factoid or half-truth peccadillo they can find? (Guess: It ain't Fmr. Gov. Martin O'Malley, or current "not running" undeclared Sen. Elizabeth Warren, or Vice President Joe Biden.)

It can only be the candidate who can't say anything substantive beyond the national Democratic platform (i.e., No TPP talk) because the campaign is already gearing to tack to the center after receiving the nomination!

'Nuff said.

She is such a scumbag.

'Nuff said.

She is such a scumbag.
:lmao: Because you know she's responsible.

Of course when people attack Hillary, do you go around trying to figure out who did it and call THEM scumbags? Of course not.

She is such a scumbag.
This was a Hillary trashing diary that was deleted from Daily Kos for good reason. Seemed like something out of FreeRepublic, with wild accusations and speculation backed without a shred of proof. Not really surprised that Saints would post it, though.
I said it was deleted, and the deletion shows the political leanings of the editors/mods there, as opposed to the readers.

She is such a scumbag.
This was a Hillary trashing diary that was deleted from Daily Kos for good reason. Seemed like something out of FreeRepublic, with wild accusations and speculation backed without a shred of proof. Not really surprised that Saints would post it, though.
I said it was deleted, and the deletion shows the political leanings of the editors/mods there, as opposed to the readers.
Saying it was deleted doesn't turn irresponsible journalism that Breitbart wouldn't even touch into something valid. And, as indicated by comments like these, not exactly in tune with the political leanings of the Kos readers either:

"I read the link

your title is full of ####e. I love Bernie. I don't hold anyone to thoughts decades old when they have evolved.

Where the #### is the link the HRC?

HR'd for bull####e bull####e."

X

"Are you really this ####### stupid/obtuse?

Did it never occur to you that the national press will be looking through everything Bernie has ever written now that he's running for president... just like they do with every single candidate?

I suppose you also missed this, from the linked article that you clearly never bothered to read."

"The essay originally appeared in the Vermont Freeman alternative newspaper, according to Mother Jones, which featured the piece this week in a profile of Sanders."

oh God.....you can't be serious can you?? :lmao:

She is such a scumbag.
Saying it was deleted doesn't turn irresponsible journalism that Breitbart wouldn't even touch into something valid. And, as indicated by comments like these, not exactly in tune with the political leanings of the Kos readers either:

"I read the link

your title is full of ####e. I love Bernie. I don't hold anyone to thoughts decades old when they have evolved.

X

Did it never occur to you that the national press will be looking through everything Bernie has ever written now that he's running for president... just like they do with every single candidate?

I suppose you also missed this, from the linked article that you clearly never bothered to read."

"The essay originally appeared in the Vermont Freeman alternative newspaper, according to Mother Jones, which featured the piece this week in a profile of Sanders."
ho has the money to find this paper?Oppo research costs money. Who benefits?
So, no oppo could have sent to Mother Jones?Think! No Dem campaign is going throw stones out in the open right now!
Etc., there was enough of a debate going, and it was going. I'm sure this would have been a more viewed diary if given time to grow.

I don't want to have a Kos-off. You're talking about a campaign that is illegally coordinating with a Super-Pac run by David Brock and which has Sidney Blumenthal in its sidecar. this is the attack business and political consulting industry tail wagging the political campaign dog.

I mentioned above the source as Mother Jones, you could look at that discuss what is MJ doing with these two reports about Sanders' early history focusing on sexual issues.

She is such a scumbag.

"I read the link

X

ho has the money to find this paper?

Oppo research costs money. Who benefits?
So, no oppo could have sent to Mother Jones?

Think! No Dem campaign is going throw stones out in the open right now!
Etc., there was enough of a debate going, and it was going. I'm sure this would have been a more viewed diary if given time to grow.

I don't want to have a Kos-off. You're talking about a campaign that is illegally coordinating with a Super-Pac run by David Brock and which has Sidney Blumenthal in its sidecar. this is the attack business and political consulting industry tail wagging the political campaign dog.

I mentioned above the source as Mother Jones, you could look at that discuss what is MJ doing with these two reports about Sanders' early history focusing on sexual issues.
More lies. Hillary's campaign is not illegally coordinating with David Brock. I don't feel like digging up the links (because you don't care about the truth anyway) but what Brock is doing is completely legal, and allowed under the current law as it doesn't cover internet advertising (which is what he is going to be doing for Hillary).

Users who are viewing this thread