What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bernie Sanders HQ! *A decent human being. (8 Viewers)

My alma mater getting some ink in The Guardian

The joy I felt when Hillary couldn't even get to the 15% threshold was enormous.
I continue to note that there are some Bernie supporters who seem to care more about Hillary losing than their own guy winning. If Hillary ends up with the nomination, it will be interesting to see what you and a few others have to say when it's her vs Trump or Cruz? Why do I suspect that even in that scenario you'll be rooting for her to lose?
I (and anyone else I know like me with similar Hillary hatred) would either vote Hillary if it appeared that the GOP had a legitimate shot at winning, or third party if she appears to have it in the bag. I have zero desire to see this country drift further to the right of center.

I participated in that caucus. The joy I felt when Hillary couldn't even get to the 15% threshold was enormous. Also includes some anecdotes about how, when Hillary's campaign noted that she was losing among young voters, she and Bill tried to admonish college students from out of state not to vote in the caucus as "a matter of conscience." That struck a particularly negative chord at my school, where a very liberal pocket of Dems existed among a sea of socially conservative Republicans who would annually fight against the right of the students to vote in the community that they spent the majority of their year for 4 years.
Any school that can boast of such prestigious alums as Gary Cooper, Herbie Hancock, the dude who played Chekhov, and my Mom is alright with me.
You forgot Peter Coyote and Kumail Nanjiani, my personal favorite.
I purposefully left out Peter Coyote. He's the one my Mom mentions the most, because I suspect she had a crush on the then Peter Cohen. But "dude from ET who now does a ton of documentary voiceovers" didn't seem big enough to mention. My Mom wouldn't be able to pick Kumail Nanjiani (he's Tom from Parks & Rec, right :P out of a lineup. I'm kind of limited to alums from before 1970.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at Bernie's website i came across this:

https://berniesanders.com/issues/how-bernie-pays-for-his-proposals/

I'd love to see these numbers fact checked and investigated to see if we really can do all the things he is proposing and afford them. I really like the guy but this is my biggest concern. It's not like we also don't have crushing debt over our heads we need to deal with.
You know it's not a failure if he can't accomplish every one of his goals....

I'd love to see these numbers fact checked and investigated to see if we really can do all the things he is proposing and afford them. I really like the guy but this is my biggest concern. It's not like we also don't have crushing debt over our heads we need to deal with.
Wow, he could do more damage to the country than Obama. Scary

What damage is that?

Sanders’s campaign in Iowa has included League of Conservation Voters and AARP logos in recent mailers it’s sent to prospective caucusgoers, a subtle effort to tie himself to those groups, if not implying an endorsement. But neither group has backed him. The AARP, which represents retirees, does not endorse candidates, and the League of Conservative Voters, an environmental advocacy group, is supporting Sanders’s Democratic foe, Hillary Clinton.And now news has broken of what is potentially an even more bald-faced deception, in Nevada, where Sanders supporters have reportedly been posing as members of Las Vegas’s powerful Culinary Workers Union Local 226 to try to rally labor support ahead of the state’s Democratic caucuses on February 20.
http://www.newsweek.com/sanders-complaints-iowa-nevada-420806
Day late on this one - but the mudslinging looks nice on you...

The union and Sanders campaigners later said the issue, which was first reported by Ralston Reports' Jon Ralston, had been settled.

"We've talked with the campaign and the situation has been resolved," Bethany Kahn, Culinary spokeswoman said in a statement.
Mudslinging to post a link to a story that's being reported by multiple large media outlets?
Do you think Sanders is running a dishonest campaign, or that he is corrupt?

If you do, that is fine, keep posting your stories.

But, if you do not think Sanders is being dishonest, nor that he is corrupt, then it appears that you are posting stories for the sake of besmirching him - that is mudslinging.

The Vegas story has already been resolved to the Union's satisfaction, I don't know where things stand with AARP and League of Conservative voters - nor do I know the source of the mailings - who approved them?

I do know that Bernie Sanders himself would not accept shady politicking on his behalf.
I posted one story.

I'm not the kind of person who would ever say "I dislike [candidate] because of his followers," but some of you guys are just brutal to have to deal with.
why are you dealing with any of them?

What damage is that?
Obamacare for 1

how so? (and outline what Obama did?)

I always find these comments funny. (and sad)

You do know that pretty much everything has improved since Obama got into office, yes?

Economy = check

Stock Market = check

Job market = check

ACA = check

Osama dead = check

Kept America safe (thus far) = check

I can understand disagreeing with Obama, but to act as if he's made things worse is just ridiculously false.

What damage is that?
Obamacare for 1
Yeah, we really should change things back so people with pre-existing conditions can't get health coverage. Good thinking.

You do know that pretty much everything has improved since Obama got into office, yes?

Economy = check

Stock Market = check

Job market = check

ACA = check

Osama dead = check

I can understand disagreeing with Obama, but to act as if he's made things worse is just ridiculously false.
It's as equally ridiculous to suggest HE made things better. It's not just one person in these things (good or bad) so dumb.

Oh i absolutely agree. I just would like some realistic pragmatism so we can actually accomplish things. Again it's hard not to like the guy so that's not really not my point at all.

Economy = check

Stock Market = check

Job market = check

ACA = check

Osama dead = check

It's as equally ridiculous to suggest HE made things better. It's not just one person in these things (good or bad) so dumb.
Gee, really?

The President can't press a button and make the economy better all by himself?

Thanks for the lesson!

Thing is, whether it's fair or not, these are the things a President is judged on.

Generally #1 is the economy, #2 is security/foreign relations.

#2 may be up for debate for a while, but he has #1 in the bag.

Ah I see it's been posted already. Good.

Personally I don't even care about such stories because I don't believe that whatever shenanigans a campaign is up to should reflect on the candidate- except many of you have been doing that to Hillary all along.
Usually the reason for such disparate treatment can be found in the underlying facts.

Oh i absolutely agree. I just would like some realistic pragmatism so we can actually accomplish things. Again it's hard not to like the guy so that's not really not my point at all.
I honestly don't understand this point of view. First, there is no evidence to suggest that Clinton can get anything passed in a republican-held congress - she certainly has no history of bipartisan success. Second, the underlying assumption is that Bernie either gets everything he asks for, or he gets nothing. That is not how life works. Both Clinton and Bernie will get a portion of what they want. By Bernie askign for a bigger slice right off the bat, the portion he ends up with is likely to be much larger than Clinton's slice.

So, if you want nothing done - then Clinton is your choice. Tim at least honest about his goals; some of the other "democrats" are not being honest with themselves on this issue.

Sinn Fein said:

I honestly don't understand this point of view. First, there is no evidence to suggest that Clinton can get anything passed in a republican-held congress - she certainly has no history of bipartisan success. Second, the underlying assumption is that Bernie either gets everything he asks for, or he gets nothing. That is not how life works. Both Clinton and Bernie will get a portion of what they want. By Bernie askign for a bigger slice right off the bat, the portion he ends up with is likely to be much larger than Clinton's slice.

So, if you want nothing done - then Clinton is your choice. Tim at least honest about his goals; some of the other "democrats" are not being honest with themselves on this issue.
He's saying he wants more details on how Bernie thinks he'd accomplish all these things he's saying he'd want to do in the hypothetical where getting them past congress is possible. Are they internally consistent and feasible in and of themselves, regardless of whether congress would actually pass them? What sorts of repercussions would there be if they passed?

Economy = check

Stock Market = check

Job market = check

ACA = check

Osama dead = check

Gee, really?

Thanks for the lesson!

Thing is, whether it's fair or not, these are the things a President is judged on.

I think congrats for being in the right place at the right time are certainly in order. It's dumb all the way around and I don't care if "that's the way it works". It shouldn't and their no need to feed the idiocy that it does work that way by using that "logic"

I've noticed Tim has gone from saying when Hillary wins to if Hillary wins.

:thumbsup:
I haven't said anything else for at least 6 months. Since last summer Ive always thought Bernie had a shot.
As of today, what do you think the percentage chance that Sanders is the Dem nominee? What percentage chance is Sanders the next President? Just curious where you are at today.
About 20%. Goes down to 10 if he loses Iowa, goes up to 30 if he wins Iowa.

Economy = check

Stock Market = check

Job market = check

ACA = check

Osama dead = check

Gee, really?

Thanks for the lesson!

I think congrats for being in the right place at the right time are certainly in order. It's dumb all the way around and I don't care if "that's the way it works". It shouldn't and their no need to feed the idiocy that it does work that way by using that "logic"
No. That is not how we recognize it. It has worked well under his watch. He deserves the kudos.

Economy = check

Stock Market = check

Job market = check

ACA = check

Osama dead = check

Gee, really?

Thanks for the lesson!

No. That is not how we recognize it. It has worked well under his watch. He deserves the kudos.
And I think it's stupid to go this route given how little he (or any other president) is actually involved. Sorta like blaming Obama for the gas prices....completely ignorant and lazy thinking IMO.

And I think it's stupid to go this route given how little he (or any other president) is actually involved. Sorta like blaming Obama for the gas prices....completely ignorant and lazy thinking IMO.
Well, there are a few things that a President can do that will seriously impact economic policy, especially if we're talking about gas prices. There's no doubt at all that the President's push for the Iran deal is a huge part of the current price of crude oil. Iran's re-entry into the world oil market has led to a massive drop in oil prices, first by speculators who were watching the deal potentially happen, then after the deal happened, by speculators trying to gauge exactly how much impact it would have on oil futures, and now we are watching the market actually change based on re-entry.

In that sense, it's fair to discuss Obama as a big influence on gas prices without being called "lazy" or "ignorant."

Similarly, when we're talking about a market that's close to 20% of our GDP, like healthcare, big changes will have an impact on our economy. They just will. The ACA will have far-reaching economic impact, even if we can't see it all or measure it all. Some will be good, some will be bad. I personally believe that a huge amount of it is very, very good. I understand people who speculate that the ACA has caused some big financial issues in various sectors, especially health insurance itself. I personally think those will even out over time (and would even moreso if we went to single payer, as Bernie would like.)

The fact is, as much as the President does not himself set our full economic policies, the economy in general is pretty susceptible to the moves the executive branch chooses to make, especially when you consider that he appoints the head of the Federal Reserve.

I think this was mentioned in this thread before or maybe in one of the million other political threads, but if you're into politics, check out "The Circus" on Showtime. It's a documentary series by the guys from "Game Change" where they follow the candidates around campaigning. I watched the first two last night, it's really great TV.
:blackdot:

going to look into this tonight.

Lots of health care economists are analyzing his health plan now. I'm not sure about the other programs. As you might expect, some will say its possible and others will say its not. Its still valuable to understand the assumptions the plan rests on.

Keep in mind that he isn't double counting, so if he couldn't get the college tuition through, the financial transactions tax might be available for his health plan or something else..

The joy I felt when Hillary couldn't even get to the 15% threshold was enormous.
I continue to note that there are some Bernie supporters who seem to care more about Hillary losing than their own guy winning. If Hillary ends up with the nomination, it will be interesting to see what you and a few others have to say when it's her vs Trump or Cruz? Why do I suspect that even in that scenario you'll be rooting for her to lose?
I'll vote for Bernie but if its Hillary vs. the GOP, I'm voting for Gary Johnson. I've never been a Hillary fan but my state (NJ) will go to the Dems no matter who I vote for. Therefore I vote with my conscience.

"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos"

Sinn Fein said:

I'm no where near a Hillary fan.

If it's Hillary i'm probably voting 3rd party.

Latest PPP poll in Iowa shows Hillary up by 8 points, Sanders weakness are showing, big tax increases, weak on terrorists, and to close to gun manufacturers, I.e. Gun control

He's releasing his medical records today. He's 74, so age is a big factor. Honestly, that strikes me as too old for the presidency.
FWIW:

My woman is an Obama voter. Not sure she voted for him during the re-election. She is an immigrant and a professional with a college degree. Absolutely loved Bill Clinton.

She has been totally checked out on this election. She watched a couple of the GOP debates with me but that is it. She works crazy hours and literally has paid next to zero attention this cycle.

She came home late last night and I had on the TV. She was sitting at the table eating some late dinner and she said..."God he is so old. He can't even comb his own hair. Why would anyone vote for this guy?"

:shrug:
See, it's informed, issue driven voters like this that give us the government we deserve.

We should strive for better.

Latest PPP poll in Iowa shows Hillary up by 8 points, Sanders weakness are showing, big tax increases, weak on terrorists, and to close to gun manufacturers, I.e. Gun control
PPP poll was done 80% on landlines with 63% of respondents 45 or older. Only 16% 18-29. If that's as good as Hillary can manage to do with that kind of sampling, she's in trouble. The poll also showed O'Malley with 7% support, and that 57% of his supporters would switch to Sanders while 27% would switch to Clinton.

Also from PPP's summary: "We’ve found Hillary Clinton leading in Iowa by 6-8 points on our last two polls,” said Dean Debnam, President of Public Policy Polling. “Bernie Sanders will likely make up some ground from Martin O’Malley voters moving toward him. To pull the upset he will need large numbers of voters who aren’t currently registered Democrats to show up on his behalf Monday night.”

Democrats can register at the caucus, because of that Bernie's campaign hasn't focused on getting them to register beforehand.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's releasing his medical records today. He's 74, so age is a big factor. Honestly, that strikes me as too old for the presidency.
FWIW:

My woman is an Obama voter. Not sure she voted for him during the re-election. She is an immigrant and a professional with a college degree. Absolutely loved Bill Clinton.

She has been totally checked out on this election. She watched a couple of the GOP debates with me but that is it. She works crazy hours and literally has paid next to zero attention this cycle.

She came home late last night and I had on the TV. She was sitting at the table eating some late dinner and she said..."God he is so old. He can't even comb his own hair. Why would anyone vote for this guy?"

:shrug:
See, it's informed, issue driven voters like this that give us the government we deserve.

We should strive for better.
Well, we live in California. Our impact on the primary on either side of the political aisle is next to nothing. Maybe this year one of the races will be close. I believe we just passed our filing deadline for candidates to get on the ballot in our primary.

So we both have plenty of time to get up to speed...though I am already cruising along in the fast lane.

I wish someone would fix Bernie when he starts talking about an issue and raises an arm and sticks his index finger up . He looks old when he does this . Just think they could tighten him up a bit

I always thought he was a whack job but somehow he's growing on me

I wish someone would fix Bernie when he starts talking about an issue and raises an arm and sticks his index finger up . He looks old when he does this . Just think they could tighten him up a bit

I always thought he was a whack job but somehow he's growing on me
It is like you can almost imagine yourself feeding him tapioca pudding and listening to his old stories from back in the day that he told you two weeks earlier...

Did anyone see the Onion story about Hills campaign torching the Iowa town? For a second I thought it was real. It's pretty funny regardless. I would link it but can't while driving.

What do we do about this?

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/12645265_10154514189117908_1874802732390911005_n.png?oh=58ca00fca5fa9f15a497c827d8affdc6&oe=572742F0

So we (the people) are making up the 22% difference over the last several decades? These corporations are making out like bandits with all of the loopholes yet everyone complains we have a 35% tax rate. They essentially pay nothing. No one pays it, so why does everyone complain about the tax rate?
Simplify the tax code

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/12645265_10154514189117908_1874802732390911005_n.png?oh=58ca00fca5fa9f15a497c827d8affdc6&oe=572742F0

So we (the people) are making up the 22% difference over the last several decades? These corporations are making out like bandits with all of the loopholes yet everyone complains we have a 35% tax rate. They essentially pay nothing. No one pays it, so why does everyone complain about the tax rate?
Simplify the tax code
You think that is the issue/answer with what he linked? :lmao:

Yes. I own a corporation, the tax code is ridiculous. I think you'd collect a lot more revenue if you simplified it and set the flat corporate tax at 15-20% of profits

Simplify the tax code
You think that is the issue/answer with what he linked? :lmao:
You think companies are rushing overseas because our tax rates are too low? :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread