What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bernie Sanders HQ! *A decent human being. (2 Viewers)

I actually don't have a problem at all with him going the route he did- he really had no choice if he wanted his message to be heard.  My issue is, why support someone who is the epitome of the broken system that you are trying to fix (assuming he does)?
I guess at the point he's not a candidate or the nominee, he's stuck in the same unenviable situation as the rest of us will be. Support no-one and let the chips fall where they may, vote for someone who's at least saying some things you agree with (or have cooped from your own platform in his case), or vote for someone from a party which has become pretty antithetical to everything you stand for in every way.

I think its an easier choice for him, than for us. He'll still probably be a Senator, he'll have to deal with the next President up close and personal. He'd probably have more influence in a Clinton Presidency than a Republican one. So backing the D is his best choice for having a hope of getting anything important to him implemented in the next 4 years.

They are already voting Clinton, if they get pissed off from a call are they now going to vote for her twice?
Given the way the Democratic National Party wants to make sure the political elite truly decide who wins ( can't let those uniformed masses decide our fate ), they may make a rule change to allow this.  

Because she's not the epitome of the broken system. That's just a lazy narrative. They agree on a lot of things.
They agree on a lot of things after Clinton polled topics and realized that she should agree with Bernie. Whether she believes that or will follow through is an entirely different issue.

from article i just posted,  From Jan. 1 through Feb. 26, the state has registered 13,340 Democrats and 20,929 Republicans. During the same time period, the office saw just over 5,000 Democrats apply to change their registration to Republican, and nearly 1,500 switch from being registered Independents to the GOP.1 Shapard called the movement a “micro-trend,” likely of voters who see the Trump appeal or, at the very least, want in on the action of this year’s Republican race.
Or shenanigans where Democrats are helping to make sure the GOP has a flawed candidate in Trump.

Fun to see a number of my old Burlington friends posting pics of themselves with Bernie around town today.

It used to be on Election Day, you'd slightly try to avoid him at the polling place, kind of like how you cross the street halfway down the block from a panhandler.

Sure, but campaigning in Europe isn't only done in the election cycle, which is how Wilders and Le Pen have arrive at prominence. They take every opportunity to stir up ugly feelings by saying provocative things that the media reports. Sound familiar? It would be up to 4 years of non stop Drumpf campaigning from the moment he decided to open his own party/platform
You're not helping my argument for re-writing the constitution here.

I actually don't have a problem at all with him going the route he did- he really had no choice if he wanted his message to be heard.  My issue is, why support someone who is the epitome of the broken system that you are trying to fix (assuming he does)?
no, i agree.  Don't have a good answer other than he's also playing the "lesser of two evils" game that our politicians like us playing.  That's all I got :shrug:

You're not helping my argument for re-writing the constitution here.
Sorry about that, but I'm sure you'd rather have an opinion about this aspect of the European style democracies from an informed standpoint  :P

Last edited by a moderator:
Because she's not the epitome of the broken system. That's just a lazy narrative. They agree on a lot of things.
I'm not sure how you can even say.  It's tough to know what she believes.  She SAYS she agrees with him on things, but they aren't core to his concerns.  Those things core to his ideals, they most certainly don't agree on and she's the shining example of why he is against them.  They don't agree on the substance rather the immaterial.  Humpback raises a good question.

If we take her at her word that what she's stating today (have to start somewhere) is what she actually believes, they agree on abortion, gay marriage, SOME global warming / environment things.  Not a whole lot of meat there anymore.  The public has spoken on most of these things outside the environment.  These are typical positions held by just about everyone with a "D" by their name.  But again, on just about all the issues where they agree Bernie is saying "Glad you could finally get it right and join me"

Sanders says he’s running until all 50 states vote, knocks Clinton for corporate money

imrs.php

Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders speaks about the upcoming Super Tuesday elections on arrival in Boston on Monday, Feb. 29, 2016. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin)
BOSTON -- On the eve of Super Tuesday, Democratic presidential hopeful Bernie Sanders took a jab at rival Hillary Clinton for the “substantial sums” a super PAC supporting her has collected from corporate interests and reiterated his plans to stay in the race until voters in all 50 states have spoken.

Asked about previous statements to stay in the race through the Democratic convention, Sanders noted that only four states have weighed in to this point.

“At the end of tomorrow, I think 15 states will have spoken,” Sanders said. “Last I heard, we have a lot more than 15 states in the United States of America, and I think it is more than appropriate to give all of those states and the people in those states a chance to vote for the candidate of their choice.”

Felt the Bern today.  Been thinking the past few days whether I would vote on the R or D ticket today.  Looking so much like Trump and didn't really like most of the Rs....figured I'd throw some support to Bernie here as a vote against Hillary. It was either that or for Rubio or Kasich.  

Bernie just seems to be more compelling as a candidate to me,even if I don't agree with him in everything.

Sorry about that, but I'm sure you'd rather have an opinion about this aspect of the European style democracies from an informed standpoint  :P
The alternative that we are using seems to be quite insane, however. Doesn't it look like that from over there?

The alternative that we are using seems to be quite insane, however. Doesn't it look like that from over there?
Sure, all countries that have an effective if not constitutional limit on the number of parties do. UK is a good European example of a broken system

They do. Here's the bad news from the overall trends:

Other than Vermont and Massachusetts, far fewer independents are turning out in the Southern states today than did so in New Hampshire, the only state Bernie Sanders has won so far. They make up between two in 10 and a quarter of voters in the Southern states, vs. more than seven in 10 who are mainline Democrats, Clinton’s bread and butter to date.

Age: First-time primary goers are far outnumbered by primary veterans across today’s contests. Relatedly, turnout among under 30s ranges between one in 10 to two in 10 in preliminary exit poll data, generally much lower than turnout among seniors.
Under 30 voters are making up 10-20% of the voters. They are so tuned out and turned off. And so are the independents. This bodes very well for Hillary's nomination chances and not very well for her in the general election.

I've been counting the south as nothing but blowouts, if he can survive today I'm chalking it up as a great day. Numbers have to improve in the future but gotta survive today for that to happen. If he takes OK, Mass, and a caucus along with Vermont, I'm happy.

The_Man said:
Yeah, making declarative statements about what you hope will happen, unsupported by any evidence, isn't analysis. It's wishing.
Most recent poll shows Hillary by 8.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/01/politics/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders-poll/

In the scenario that appears most likely to emerge from the primary contests, Clinton tops Trump 52% to 44% among registered voters. That result has tilted in Clinton's favor since the last CNN/ORC Poll on the match-up in January.

yak651 said:
How does she appeal to young people?  The only ones that find her attractive are old women
If Hillary showed up to call bingo numbers at the senior citizen center, half the old women and almost all the men would walk out.  Hillary can't be trusted with anything.  

This is Clinton vs Obama with the roles reversed. After tonight, there really isn't any practical math that gets Sanders to he delegates he needs. 

But ur as a 2008 Clinton supporter I sure as hell am not going to tell anyone to drop out. As long as he is raising money he should keep running until she has the pledged delegate majority. 

This is Clinton vs Obama with the roles reversed. After tonight, there really isn't any practical math that gets Sanders to he delegates he needs. 

But ur as a 2008 Clinton supporter I sure as hell am not going to tell anyone to drop out. As long as he is raising money he should keep running until she has the pledged delegate majority. 
So, the game is not over in the middle of the second quarter!

This more exciting than the TV is letting on. Might be a great night for Sanders considering it could have ended here.

Some things that Bernie Sanders ought to have learned from his heroes (Fidel Castro and Daniel Ortega) that could have helped him today: stuffing the ballot boxes and jailing opponents. Or just killing them.

It would have been nice, but this was super close. We can do this. Now is the time for action if there ever was one.
Yea, would have been nice. Colorado is a big win if the numbers hold. His biggest strength going forward is the states he has won, have been much more important than the southern states Clinton won, for the general election. If Trump tears it up, and we get more polling in swing states maybe the elect-ability issue gets a little more attention.

Unless the math that comes out in the next day or two shows it impossible, tonight motivated me to put some volunteer work in for the campaign. 

Users who are viewing this thread