Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
BigSteelThrill

Bernie Sanders HQ! *A decent human being.

7 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

I haven't followed the details but apparently 17 year olds can vote in Ohio. Probably not a huge number of votes there but a small bump for Bernie.

A lot of state parties allow 17 year olds to vote if they will be 18 by the general election.

2 minutes ago, Christo said:

A lot of state parties allow 17 year olds to vote if they will be 18 by the general election.

Ah. Didn't know that. Thanks.

Sounds like Bernie could suffer in Ohio from a lot of voters voting for Kasich against Trump instead of getting a Democrat ballot.

35 minutes ago, pantagrapher said:

What term should we pivot to?

Let's circle-back on this after we engage with key stakeholders

1 hour ago, humpback said:

what do you think is "an appropriate amount" of taxes?  We have the highest corporate tax rate in the world, and are one of the very few countries that still uses the worldwide model of taxation (none of the largest economies do).  If we were more in line with the rest of the world, most of this problem goes away.

I don't know what an appropriate amount is. Technically there are a couple of countries that have a higher corporate tax rate than the U.S., but at 35% we're close enough to the top that we don't need to split hairs. The thing is, how many corporations here are actually paying 35% after all the loopholes? We need a tax code overhaul for individuals and businesses. We need to severely curtail the attempts to influence behavior and favor some segments over others through our tax code. I think if we drastically reduced all the loopholes, we could lower the base rate.

41 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Good luck today to all the Bernie supporters in here! 

Is this a game?

• Like 1

Just now, AAABatteries said:

FYP

After an off-site ideation session we have decided to calendar a meeting with thought-leaders to recommend using the previous iteration of my post

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Man said:

So Bernie folks, what are your predictions?

Hilary with big wins in NC and FL

I think Bernie takes Missouri and Illinois (where the Rahm stuff was great).

Not feeling it in Ohio, though. I don't think free trade plays as big there as it did in Michigan, and southern Ohio is practically the deep south, where Hillary has been running so strong. I'll say she takes Ohio 52-47.

I'd be surprised if HRC wins big in NC.  She'll probably win, but I think the margin will be much smaller than expected.  Just a hunch.  I haven't seen a single Hillary yard sign.

Edited by Idiot Boxer

2 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

After an off-site ideation session we have decided to calendar a meeting with thought-leaders to recommend using the previous iteration of my post

Sorry I missed the meeting. I was out of pocket.

47 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

I don't know what an appropriate amount is. Technically there are a couple of countries that have a higher corporate tax rate than the U.S., but at 35% we're close enough to the top that we don't need to split hairs. The thing is, how many corporations here are actually paying 35% after all the loopholes? We need a tax code overhaul for individuals and businesses. We need to severely curtail the attempts to influence behavior and favor some segments over others through our tax code. I think if we drastically reduced all the loopholes, we could lower the base rate.

That's kind of important though- perhaps they're paying an appropriate amount now in aggregate, but they have to engage in all of these shenanigans in order to get there?

Sure, there are credits, etc., that reduce the rate that many corporations pay, but other countries have those as well.  Our effective corporate tax rates are higher than the vast majority of countries.  I agree that we need an overhaul, most other countries have already done so, but the particulars will be key.  Some think an "overhaul" would be to remove loopholes and pass more laws and restrictions without lowering rates, which I wouldn't agree with.

Totally on board with minimizing the use of the tax code to influence behavior and pick winners and losers, but that would take power away from politicians.  Unfortunately, Bernie isn't so great in this aspect either...

"Ideation" is like nails on a chalkboard.  Awful.

Stuff like this is exactly why I would never vote or be fearful of voting for HRC.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/business-group-clinton-will-flip-on-trade-after-election/article/2585866

Speaking with reporters Tuesday, Business Roundtable president John Engler cited the Clintons' family history of changing their stances on trade deals, and downplayed the significance of Hillary Clinton's current opposition to the pending Trans-Pacific Partnership negotiated by President Obama.

"There's history in the family, in the Clinton family, where President Clinton was opposed to NAFTA in its current form before the election and then was the champion … in the '90s," Engler said, referring to the North American Free Trade Agreement negotiated in the early 1990s and implemented by Bill Clinton.

"I think that there's nothing new about candidates running who are opposed to trade deals," Engler said, noting that Clinton has not spelled out specific objections to the TPP, a 12-nation trade deal.

6 minutes ago, hagmania said:

If you want to follow along with early results http://benchmarkpolitics.com has been making noise. I think he has some really good research and results.

Those reports of really low turnout at some precincts is not good.

2 hours ago, The_Man said:

So Bernie folks, what are your predictions?

Hilary with big wins in NC and FL

I think Bernie takes Missouri and Illinois (where the Rahm stuff was great).

Not feeling it in Ohio, though. I don't think free trade plays as big there as it did in Michigan, and southern Ohio is practically the deep south, where Hillary has been running so strong. I'll say she takes Ohio 52-47.

Hillary wins big in NC and FL, takes OH by 7

Bernie wins MO by ~5 and IL by 2

In Cuyahoga county (Ohio) a shade over 15% of Democrats have requested a Republican ballot. Not sure who this hurts more, Bernie or Hillary. Probably not good news for Trump.

Edited by AnonymousBob

Just now, AnonymousBob said:

In Cuyahoga county a shade over 15% of Democrats have requested a Republican ballot. Not sure who this hurts more, Bernie or Hillary. Probably not good news for Trump.

Could be great news for Trump in the primary, just depends how deep a game those impostors are playing.

15 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

Could be great news for Trump in the primary, just depends how deep a game those impostors are playing.

You've gotta know exactly why they are bothering to vote in the Republican primary. It's not to help make Cruz the nominee.

1 hour ago, Idiot Boxer said:

I'd be surprised if HRC wins big in NC.  She'll probably win, but I think the margin will be much smaller than expected.  Just a hunch.  I haven't seen a single Hillary yard sign.

Not a single one here nor a bumper sticker.  The women around here can't stand here.  I only heard ads for Bernie, Trump, and Cruz.

Unfortunately I spoke with another 3 millenials that couldn't be bothered to figure out how to register to vote and missed early voting.  I told them this old man would attempt to do their heavy lifting, but if we end up with Hillary it's their fault.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, SIDA! said:

Stuff like this is exactly why I would never vote or be fearful of voting for HRC.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/business-group-clinton-will-flip-on-trade-after-election/article/2585866

Free trade is good...jesus, what kind of bizarro world do I live in now that Democrats are in favor of free trade and Republicans are against it?  :loco:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Not a single one here nor a bumper sticker.  The women around here can't stand here.  I only heard ads for Bernie, Trump, and Cruz.

Unfortunately I spoke with another 3 millenials that couldn't be bothered to figure out how to register to vote and missed early voting.  I told them this old man would attempt to do their heavy lifting, but if we end up with Hillary it's their fault.

Damn kids. 

:shakesfist:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otis said:

You're only own with this one - the FFAtion thinks it's terrific.

Expected baselines from hag's benchmark politics link:

MO: Sanders 52.5% - 47.5%

IL: Clinton 52% - 48%

OH: Clinton 54% - 46%

NC: Clinton 60% - 40%

FL: Clinton 66% - 34%

Bern may have to work some miracles tonight.

4 minutes ago, cstu said:

You're only own with this one - the FFAtion thinks it's terrific.

It's terrible. I work in a "no jargon" zone. It's pretty great.

Heard from an acquaintance in Kendall County in Illinois that they ran out of democratic ballots and we're trying to get more.  Probably wouldn't gave more until 5 pm cst.  This was about 40 minutes ago

30 minute wait for me to vote.  Seemed like presidential level turnout.  After I voted Bernie at the top of the ticket I selected all dudes in the other races to offset one of the Hillary supporters voting all chicks.  In case of a tie, the dude on the bottom of the ballot got the vote.  A lot of those votes didn't matter as districts are changing a we re-vote in June.

Plenty of Bernie T-shirts in line.  Signs up for Cruz, Rubio, and Trump outside the poll.  One guy with a suit and tie and Trump ball cap.  Nary a sign of anything with the word Clinton on it other than the ballot.

I'm afraid Bernie ran out of time here in NC.

5 minutes ago, bud29 said:

Expected baselines from hag's benchmark politics link:

MO: Sanders 52.5% - 47.5%

IL: Clinton 52% - 48%

OH: Clinton 54% - 46%

NC: Clinton 60% - 40%

FL: Clinton 66% - 34%

Bern may have to work some miracles tonight.

When precincts start reporting he'll start filling in the map, he makes a lot of early predictions that are dead-on accurate.

2 minutes ago, jomar said:

Heard from an acquaintance in Kendall County in Illinois that they ran out of democratic ballots and we're trying to get more.  Probably wouldn't gave more until 5 pm cst.  This was about 40 minutes ago

This has happened several times this election season. Seems this could be easily prevented with a bit of planning. Absolute horse crap to do this to voters.

I think a big key is the Hispanic vote. Is Nevada the only real data we have in this regard? I think Bernie may have done some real lifting with this demographic in the past couple weeks and may flip some of the benchmarks on their ear.

1 hour ago, Otis said:

I was pretty shocked the first time I heard this.  That ##### proceeded to say it every other sentence the whole meeting.

14 minutes ago, Slapdash said:

I was pretty shocked the first time I heard this.  That ##### proceeded to say it every other sentence the whole meeting.

The only acceptable use of "ideation" is when it's preceded by "suicidal."

2 hours ago, Slapdash said:

Is this a game?

Not to me it isn't . But I like most Sanders people and I generally wish them well. 

8 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Not to me it isn't . But I like most Sanders people and I generally wish them well. 

Then you are better off randomly wishing them good health and leaving it at that. Pretending to do anything else plainly fake.

Edited by JerseyToughGuys

59 minutes ago, cstu said:

Free trade is good...jesus, what kind of bizarro world do I live in now that Democrats are in favor of free trade and Republicans are against it?  :loco:

My comment wasn't about her position on trade.  It was about her stated position on trade and the belief that she would do the opposite once elected  (e.g. lying to voters to get elected )

8 minutes ago, JerseyToughGuys said:

Then you are better off randomly wishing them good health and leaving it at that. Pretending to do anything else plainly fake.

Pretending? Really? 

When I wish people well it's not pretending. Do I want to see Bernie win? No. Do I generally like Bernie fans, agree with them on a majority of issues, and appreciate and admire their energy and passion? Yes. Would I truly mind if Bernie was the nominee? No. 

I came into the thread to wish you guys good luck. It's not fake. Sorry some of you see it that way. 

Edited by timschochet
  • Like 1

Just now, timschochet said:

Pretending? Really? 

When I wish people well it's not pretending. Do I want to see Bernie win? No. Do I generally like Bernie fans, agree with them on a majority of issues, and appreciate and admire their energy and passion? Yes. Would I truly mind if Bernie was the nominee? No. 

I came into the thread to wish you guys good luck. It's not fake. Sorry some of you see it that way. 

What would your "good luck" lead to? The thing you don't want, right? You don't wish for good fortune. It's about as fake as it gets.

I guess the intention is to hedge the way to a "gracious loser" or "gracious winner" claim. But it's fake. And everyone sees it.

Edited by JerseyToughGuys

3 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Wow. OK you know what? Forget it. JFC

Hillary, is that you?

• Like 2

I think some of y'all are taking Tim's comment way too seriously. Dude meant well wishes. Move on. Or don't. Seems other things we could be discussing.

Bill was asked why his wife isn't doing better in polls thus far.

“I think you know the answer to that,” Bill Clinton said. “This should be a race for president. And there is a blame candidate and a responsibility candidate in this race.”

Referring to his wife, he said, “I'm betting the responsibility candidate will win.”

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, hagmania said:

I think we're gonna need tim's claim.

Good luck wishing, liberal, middle, right, leaning, moderate, democratic, republican, hedging yet favorite betting enthusiast, Indy

never negotiate with an indy

?

11 minutes ago, hagmania said:

This early voting result release is going to be hilarious imo.

Well, not as bad as I was expecting.

4 hours ago, SacramentoBob said:

You voted for Bernie? :shock:

This can mean only one thing - Hillary must have waxed floors.

• Like 1

Voted for Sanders earlier today in Chicago.  The lady handing out our ballots mentioned that she has been doing this for 30 years and today has been the best turnout for a primary she can remember.  Her and the other election workers seemed thrilled so many people were coming out to vote.  I took that as a good sign for Bernie, though I am biased.

• Like 2