What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bernie Sanders HQ! *A decent human being. (8 Viewers)

I'd like to discuss Bernie's foreign policy acumen, an important consideration in a presidential candidate.  Does he really have what it takes in this area?  Here is his response to the bombings in Brussels yesterday.   http://www.thewrap.com/brussels-terror-attacks-bernie-sanders-statement-last-presidential-candidate-to-respond/

Thoughts?  Would world leaders take him seriously?
I think most of Western Europe would view him very favorably. Those are the nations he wants to build a coalition with to seek answers to Islamic terrorism. I can't say I have an opinion about the "antagonist" nations, but Bernie is very dove-like, nigh to the point of isolationism.

Foreign policy isn't just "how to deal with terrorism/unrest in the Middle East" much as folks try to boil it down to such. I think most of the first world is cheering for America to elect Bernie Sanders.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to discuss Bernie's foreign policy acumen, an important consideration in a presidential candidate.  Does he really have what it takes in this area?  Here is his response to the bombings in Brussels yesterday.   http://www.thewrap.com/brussels-terror-attacks-bernie-sanders-statement-last-presidential-candidate-to-respond/

Thoughts?  Would world leaders take him seriously?
I'm sure world leaders measure foreign policy acumen on the time it takes to get onto Fox's various networks after some news event.

I think by him staying in, it continues to pull Hilary further and further left. Without a major pivot back to the center, she could find herself in trouble in the general. 

I still can't give Burnie a pass for his rape fantasy article. That is a nonstarter for me. Then his definition of wealthy has me worried

I don't have a problem with potheads either. 
There is a serious element to this.  Let me explain.  One of the legitimate criticisms of Trump is that some of his supporters are undereducated, thought being that these people aren't biologically equipped to make good decisions.  Tim has harped on this repeatedly, at times wishing that an elite class of "smart" voters should determine the fate of our republic.  One of the legitimate criticisms of Bernie Sanders is that many of his supporters smoke pot.  Like I said, I don't have a problem with this.  But it does beg the question, are some of these people equipped to make the same decision? It's a fair question.

When I think of pot the first thing that comes to mind is my brother's friend and the terrible decision he made one day after sparking up.  He was at a golf outing and decided that it would be cool to have a golf cart on his property.  So he drove it home.  Guy got pulled over on the Interstate and was charged with a felony!  Was very fortunate he didn't lose his job.

I think by him staying in, it continues to pull Hilary further and further left. Without a major pivot back to the center, she could find herself in trouble in the general. 
That's her fault, she has been digging her hole (if there is one) for a long time.

I'm not anti-Hillary, but I'm not going to be put out if she loses and the DNC is left scratching their heads on this one. Consider me less than impressed with them this cycle.

There is a serious element to this.  Let me explain.  One of the legitimate criticisms of Trump is that some of his supporters are undereducated, thought being that these people aren't biologically equipped to make good decisions.  Tim has harped on this repeatedly, at times wishing that an elite class of "smart" voters should determine the fate of our republic.  One of the legitimate criticisms of Bernie Sanders is that many of his supporters smoke pot.  Like I said, I don't have a problem with this.  But it does beg the question, are some of these people equipped to make the same decision? It's a fair question.

When I think of pot the first thing that comes to mind is my brother's friend and the terrible decision he made one day after sparking up.  He was at a golf outing and decided that it would be cool to have a golf cart on his property.  So he drove it home.  Guy got pulled over on the Interstate and was charged with a felony!  Was very fortunate he didn't lose his job.
I'm sorry you think this is a serious issue because you had one bad experience and embrace stereotypes.

At this point, and for the past week, I kinda just think he is and has been mailing it in. He knows he lost a few Tuesdays ago.
That's terrible.  He should just pull out then.  I hate to say it, but this is why Bernie gets a bad rap.  It seems like staying in the election is just another way to dodge having to show up for his real job.

That's terrible.  He should just pull out then.  I hate to say it, but this is why Bernie gets a bad rap.  It seems like staying in the election is just another way to dodge having to show up for his real job.
You do realize that ShamrockPride doesn't speak for Sanders and doesn't actually know whether he has been mailing it in.

Also, I don't believe you hate saying anything unkind toward Sanders.

Perhaps. I just think he knows he and his way of thinking has made a real impact this cycle and probably figures he runs with it as long as he can to keep spreading the word. This will end up being the biggest platform of his life.

This is ridiculous. Doctors, lawyers, scientists,etc smoke pot. It is no worse than having a.drink after work and in fact less so. And I would love to see.the data comparing.campaigns and whose supporters smoke more. But since you are pulling this out of your ### that won't be happening.

Perhaps. I just think he knows he and his way of thinking has made a real impact this cycle and probably figures he runs with it as long as he can to keep spreading the word. This will end up being the biggest platform of his life.
He's certainly brought campaign finance and universal healthcare to the forefront. 

I'm sorry you think this is a serious issue because you had one bad experience and embrace stereotypes.
My experience?  It would be much better if you read posts before slandering the author.  I would never even think of robbing a golf cart.  It was my brother's friend who did it.

It's a medical fact that pot negatively affects your decision making.  And this not only applies to Bernie's supporters, but also to Bernie himself.  I mean, seriously - how much pot has this guy smoked in his life?  Does he still do it?

You do realize that ShamrockPride doesn't speak for Sanders and doesn't actually know whether he has been mailing it in.

Also, I don't believe you hate saying anything unkind toward Sanders.
How on earth can you jump to that conclusion?  I was a Bernie supporter for a brief time a couple months ago.  You can check this thread if you like and see it's true.

My experience?  It would be much better if you read posts before slandering the author.  I would never even think of robbing a golf cart.  It was my brother's friend who did it.

It's a medical fact that pot negatively affects your decision making.  And this not only applies to Bernie's supporters, but also to Bernie himself.  I mean, seriously - how much pot has this guy smoked in his life?  Does he still do it?
He was referring to the experience you mentioned - your brother's friend.

I read it. Your experience to which you can attach a memory and knew people involved. Yes. Well, if pot is what brought Bernie to his current views perhaps he should keep lighting up. He's ahead of the curve, even if it took 30 years for everyone else to catch up.

BTW to the powers that be. Only candidate I game $ to this cycle was Sanders, only $10 but it was symbolic .Seems like a good guy . 2012 I gave almost a grand to heartless Mitt.

ShamrockPride said:
How did it feel knowing you threw away a grand after he lost? That's a 50/50 serious/joke question too...
Wasn't happy . I met him a few times when he was Gov of MA. Good guy then very honest . Long story short it was kind of political graft money that I recycled back into his campaign. Would love to turn back the clock and not do it again

As far as Bernie goes I watched an early debate and felt he truly believed in his cause. Only $10 

This is ridiculous. Doctors, lawyers, scientists,etc smoke pot. It is no worse than having a.drink after work and in fact less so. And I would love to see.the data comparing.campaigns and whose supporters smoke more. But since you are pulling this out of your ### that won't be happening.
Jeez, my bad.  Forgot that it was still ILLEGAL federally and in the vast majority of states.  And I don't need data to know what is completely obvious.  One of the biggest draws of the Bernie Sanders experience is that it's a throwback to the 60's.  People breast feeding out in the open at his rallies... Disgusting.

So bizarre to me that there are still people who oppose marijuana legalization.  I love booze, will probably be an occasional drinker forever.  But there is no question just how destructive it can be.  And yet it's not only socially acceptable, generally the people who don't drink are viewed as weird.  

Life can be awfully hard to go through sober.  People are always going to find ways to alter their reality.  I'd much rather the average person smoke a joint which tends to (in my experience, anyway) invoke introspection, thought, and eating a lot; as opposed to getting drunk which invokes emotion, bravado, and texting ex-girlfriends at 2 in the morning. :bag:

The biggest thing Bernie has done for this country is to draw attention to the terrible flaws in our corrupt campaign finance system. Forget the scary free college to help us compete globally and forget actually caring about each other to guarantee access to everyone for cost effective healthcare. By starting a movement with young people to light a fire under them to get all this dirty money out of our politics he has done a great favor for all of us regardless of your political leanings.

In my head I read this whole post in Trump's voice.  It fit perfectly and explained a lot.

Demographics wise Hillary would destroy Trump. Minorities would go for her in a big way but even more importantly he would get annihilated by women. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 70-30 split. And remember women vote in bigger numbers than men. It's a big reason why Bernie is having a rough time hanging with her.

At this point, and for the past week, I kinda just think he is and has been mailing it in. He knows he lost a few Tuesdays ago.
I think a big part of him staying in is providing an opportunity to gauge how much (if any) appeal there is in his platform. I know the DNC doesn't want him to win it, but I'd be very surprised if they aren't taking copious notes on what's working about his message and his campaign. It'll be interesting to see how much of that the DNC picks up and carries forward to future elections. In a lot of ways, he's refined the campaigning approach/machine that the 2008 Obama campaign began. There's value in him keeping this thing going to the end.

That said, it'll be hard to replicate the integrity and genuineness that Sanders has brought to his candidacy. I hope more people like that can make their way to prominence in U.S. politics.

Jeez, my bad.  Forgot that it was still ILLEGAL federally and in the vast majority of states.  And I don't need data to know what is completely obvious.  One of the biggest draws of the Bernie Sanders experience is that it's a throwback to the 60's.  People breast feeding out in the open at his rallies... Disgusting.
People SHOULD be breast feeding openly...it's far more disgusting to actually be offended by something both natural and healthy.

Tend to agree re. pot, to a point. I've never met a heavy (as in 2-3 times smoking daily) smoker with an ounce of common sense or intelligence. Seems like a strong correlation between heavy use and low intelligence. But when being honest with myself, I've also met a lot of light/some weekend types and they seemed fine.

My God.  Feeding babies in public?  Will someone think of the...

Wait. Huh.

"That makes me feel icky" is not generally a good basis for a policy decision. 
Actually, it can be. There are a multitude of things that we deem unacceptable behavior in polite society because they are offensive to the senses in some way or another. But please, go ahead and feel free to argue otherwise.

Actually, it can be. There are a multitude of things that we deem unacceptable behavior in polite society because they are offensive to the senses in some way or another. But please, go ahead and feel free to argue otherwise.
I see.  And you believe that because we find things to be unacceptable behavior in polite society, that necessarily makes those things a good policy decision?

My point being "if you don't like it, then leave - it's never going to be illegal or anything." 

If you disagree with that, feel free to make a good case.  

As a heterosexual man, I like boobs.

Just now, SIDA! said:

But it's really not. Not only is it completely natural, but it's many times healthier for the child. It's something that needs to be done on a frequent enough basis that expecting a woman to only do it at home is unreasonable, and the reasons FOR doing it so damn good that it's asinine to shame a woman into thinking she can't do it whenever necessary.

Shaming women for breast feeding is disgusting...we should be encouraging them whenever possible.

I see.  And you believe that because we find things to be unacceptable behavior in polite society, that necessarily makes those things a good policy decision?
Sure. In some instances. I don't think any of us want to see some dude masturbating in public. Nor do we want to see public urination or defecation, etc. Others things might be deemed unacceptable, but not illegal, like farting or belching. 

Do you think everyone should be able to walk around in public naked? I don't. But, being naked is probably as "natural" as you can get. 

Women breastfeeding doesn't really bother me, but I can understand why some people might not want to see it in public.

SIDA! said:
Sure. In some instances. I don't think any of us want to see some dude masturbating in public. Nor do we want to see public urination or defecation, etc. Others things might be deemed unacceptable, but not illegal, like farting or belching. 

Do you think everyone should be able to walk around in public naked? I don't. But, being naked is probably as "natural" as you can get. 

Women breastfeeding doesn't really bother me, but I can understand why some people might not want to see it in public.
I actually think public nudity is fine.

And as for masturbating or urinating or defecating in public... You can't think of a reason other than "that's icky" that you think those should be illegal? Really?

Higgs said:
People breast feeding out in the open at his rallies... Disgusting.
Surely speaks volumes to your closemindedness. One of the most loving, natural, and necessary acts of humankind ~ and you find it disgusting? Stop and think, man...

It's always a nice start to your day when you open up a 250+ page thread just to see what's going on, and you find that it's gone off on a completely unexpected tangent that you never would have predicted in a thousand years.  

Users who are viewing this thread