Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
BigSteelThrill

Bernie Sanders HQ! Suffered heart attack.

Just now, NCCommish said:

Even challenged though they still go back to it.

Sure, but I'm saying it's not gonna work on anyone outside the Fox News bubble. It's just so obviously silly.

Just now, TobiasFunke said:

Sure, but I'm saying it's not gonna work on anyone outside the Fox News bubble. It's just so obviously silly.

True

35 minutes ago, NCCommish said:

Pretty sure a lot of left leaning posters here dont get the echo they would like from me.

It's funny I get called everything from a commie to a right winger in the closet. I must be doing something right.

yeah..."echo chamber" around here is anyone who doesn't agree with Trump being labeled "left" and in squarely in the echo chamber.  I share your struggle though on some things perhaps from the moderate side.

• Like 1

I made a few donations already.  The only thing that can stop us now is shenanigans. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PIK95 said:

I made a few donations already.  The only thing that can stop us now is shenanigans. 

I think the only way for shenanigans to be effective is if the Third Way Centrist people come together, really right now, around one candidate. It does seem to be that support is coalescing around Pete. But it may be already too late. This is why I was saying maybe Biden waited too long because they really needed to have somebody for the weight of the establishment to get behind a couple of months ago. So we'll see

12 hours ago, PIK95 said:

Never count out the establishment . They don’t like to lose power

• Thanks 1

On 4/16/2019 at 2:33 AM, NCCommish said:

Why would you even engage this dishonest argument?

Reminds me of advice I got when I taught hs/ms out of college.  It takes one idiot to disrupt the class.  It takes two to make it a conversation.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, HellToupee said:

Never count out the establishment . They don’t like to lose power

Yep - still way too early to know how this is going to go.  I’m pretty sure in the last month Tim has declared Harris, Biden, Buttigieg and Bernie all the front runner or favorite.  It’s just too early but Bernie still resonates with me because he still comes across as genuine and caring about the people.  Mayor Pete has that quality, Beto somewhat but most of the rest just have the typical politician telling me what I want to hear feel to them.  Bernie doesn’t care if his message is unpopular with some people, he believes it and it shows.  

Edited by AAABatteries
  • Like 2

So today Bernie's campaign announced endorsements from 7 black lawmakers in South Carolina. Bernie got his ground game going much earlier this time and has been very active in the state. Hopefully it pays off.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NCCommish said:

So today Bernie's campaign announced endorsements from 7 black lawmakers in South Carolina. Bernie got his ground game going much earlier this time and has been very active in the state. Hopefully it pays off.

Maybe too early to tell, but who do you feel like Bernie would tag for VP?

38 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Maybe too early to tell, but who do you feel like Bernie would tag for VP?

Lately I've been thinking Stacy Abrams would be a good pick. 

2 hours ago, NCCommish said:

B, B, But....BeRnIe CaN'T gEt ThEm BlAcK vOtEs

• Like 2

I was gonna go out for some Beers last night.  Stayed home and read, sent Bernie the $27 bucks instead.

• Love 1

19 hours ago, NCCommish said:

That's what doomed him in 2016. I told my daughter and son-in-law who are Sanders supporters he wouldn't win the nomination because he waited to long to go after the black vote in the south. 

https://youtu.be/QMyrChsBG68

I was infatuated with Bernie but after this he’s dead to me. He was so out there and seemed genuine  I really thought he could be a difference.. Disgusted

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HellToupee said:

I was infatuated with Bernie but after this he’s dead to me. He was so out there and seemed genuine  I really thought he could be a difference.. Disgusted

He just committed political suicide. RIP. Do they still make glue out of horses?

Edited by GROOT

1 hour ago, HellToupee said:

Holy hell, this is terrible.  

In both Vermont and Maine people in jail vote. What state does he represent? Oh yeah Vermont. This isn't even close to political suicide.

Meh, it really wasn't that big a gaffe. He elaborated, rationalized it, and didn't stumble in any of it. I think it's a fair viewpoint and can see the "slippery slope" he brings up.

CNN going for the emotional appeal in their choice of prisoners as mentioned in the question is just what the Democrats do best. It's part of why we actually have Trump in fact.

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Really don't care for Bernie at all, but that seems like a smear question.  Are people who support voting rights for incarcerated people supposed to carve out a section for unpopular criminals?  CNN stacking the audience again?  

• Like 1

"I disapprove of who you killed, but I will defend to the death your right to vote."

We should be applauding a person for sticking to his principles instead of going for the easy applause.

• Like 2

I can see people having a problem with his answer.  Though, he elaborated well.  Id say, in a way its similar to debates on gun control with the slippery slope.

I happen to disagree with him on felons just as I do with those who have issues on gun control.  I think there are practical ways to say...for this crime, or for this instances of issues...this person shouldn't vote or this person shouldn't own a gun.  That when you commit certain acts or exhibit certain behavior (but it must be well defined), you give up those rights.  He says they are in jail and that is their punishment...well perhaps giving up the right to vote is as well?  I bring up guns because Im trying to be consistent with the message.  You will have people that say Bernie's answer is terrible...but when talking about something similar with gun control will claim you are infringing on rights.

I also don't think its the suicide some thing...were there any voting for or supporting him that are so on the other side of this that they will be against him now?

I disagree entirely with Sanders on felon disenfranchisement, but I appreciate the fact that he's honest about it and doesn't back down when somebody puts a name/face to his position.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IvanKaramazov said:

I disagree entirely with Sanders on felon disenfranchisement, but I appreciate the fact that he's honest about it and doesn't back down when somebody puts a name/face to his position.

I think this is where I am too.  I think he makes a good slippery slope argument that concerns me also but if asked I would vote no to allowing these particular felons to vote.

2 hours ago, IvanKaramazov said:

You know it's kind of funny.  You see these interviews with rural Vermont voters. They'll tell you they dont agree with Bernie on everything but he is honest with them and that's part of how he wins their vote. I don't agree with Bernie on everything,  including this. I think for sure when you have served your sentence and are now back in society you get to vote. But not sure I think people in prison should get to vote. I do think that's part of their punishment. Part of separating them from society. But I can respect that he sticks to his convictions and is honest with me. And that earns my trust. Which in turn earns my vote.

• Like 4

Peter Daou just came out in support of Bernie. Now it wasnt an endorsement but he made it pretty clear who he thinks can beat Trump. That's a huge change from a guy who was so pro-Clinton. 

CNN has now made Bernie their clear front runner in their power rankings. 

So I got back from my overnight this morning and checked CNN real quick before heading to bed. At about 7am CNN's headline on their site  just released the news of Bidens announcement. Called him the "probable front-runner" on the front page. Woke up later at about 1 or so and front page then changed headline to Biden seems stuck behind this new surprise front-runner. Clicked the article and now CNN seems to be pumping up Bernie.

Turning of the tables? Maybe they realized considering how well that Fox town hall went for him if he seemingly already has a lot of support even amongst Republicans (on at least some of his policies), he'll be the easiest push to beat Trump. If he could get the backing of CNN, he'll demolish Trump IMO.

Posted (edited)

And that is the sad thing: a news organization should not be backing any political candidate.  That applies to CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, etc., but they are all shameless. 

Edited by Ghost Rider

2 hours ago, ShamrockPride said:

So I got back from my overnight this morning and checked CNN real quick before heading to bed. At about 7am CNN's headline on their site  just released the news of Bidens announcement. Called him the "probable front-runner" on the front page. Woke up later at about 1 or so and front page then changed headline to Biden seems stuck behind this new surprise front-runner. Clicked the article and now CNN seems to be pumping up Bernie.

Turning of the tables? Maybe they realized considering how well that Fox town hall went for him if he seemingly already has a lot of support even amongst Republicans (on at least some of his policies), he'll be the easiest push to beat Trump. If he could get the backing of CNN, he'll demolish Trump IMO.

Pretty sad commentary on our system and I'm a Bernie guy.

On 4/23/2019 at 1:23 PM, NCCommish said:

You know it's kind of funny.  You see these interviews with rural Vermont voters. They'll tell you they dont agree with Bernie on everything but he is honest with them and that's part of how he wins their vote. I don't agree with Bernie on everything,  including this. I think for sure when you have served your sentence and are now back in society you get to vote. But not sure I think people in prison should get to vote. I do think that's part of their punishment. Part of separating them from society. But I can respect that he sticks to his convictions and is honest with me. And that earns my trust. Which in turn earns my vote.

Going to jail gets you out of child support.  I think Bernie needs to reexamine his position, but kudos for being honest.

• Like 1

According to FEC filings Bernie has more cash on hand than the DNC, DSC and DCCC combined. And he has zero debt.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 8:25 PM, D_House said:

😀

Bernies circa 1980s public access TV show Bernie Speaks unearthed.

The NY Post had fun for a couple days with this, "Bernie talks about cocaine with kids," but it's crazy to hear him talk 30+ years ago about the same values that he still espouses today. As @NCCommish pointed out, it's Bernie's honesty that makes me accept the areas where I don't agree with him. In for another $50

• Like 7

14 hours ago, ren hoek said:

https://twitter.com/juliacarriew/status/1129869074177990656

It is just astonishing that a reporter would enter into an interview on foreign policy issues with the blatant goal of holding the politician to account for being insufficiently nationalistic and literally no understanding of the actual history

apparently only people seeking confirmation bias are able to see that tweet.

Still leaning midwest centrist - Klobuchar/Buttigieg-ish, but if Bernie gets the nomination, he has my vote.

Bernie has put out his education policy ideas. Sounds pretty good. Haven't read through the whole thing yet 

And some interesting polling out of Iowa. By an outfit considered to be reliable. And instead of Biden running away with it he and Bernie are tied. This poll also included voters 18-35. I really think the DNC has a surprise incoming. 

1 minute ago, NCCommish said:

Bernie has put out his education policy ideas. Sounds pretty good. Haven't read through the whole thing yet 

And some interesting polling out of Iowa. By an outfit considered to be reliable. And instead of Biden running away with it he and Bernie are tied. This poll also included voters 18-35. I really think the DNC has a surprise incoming. 

Would not surprise me at all to see Bernie win Iowa or New Hampshire. Both states seem eager to defy the conventional wisdom. 

But that’s when you hit the South Carolina firewall, just like last time. I can’t see him getting past that hurdle. 

38 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Would not surprise me at all to see Bernie win Iowa or New Hampshire. Both states seem eager to defy the conventional wisdom. 

But that’s when you hit the South Carolina firewall, just like last time. I can’t see him getting past that hurdle. 

We'll see. Biden bragging that the only people who dont get the death penalty in his bill are jaywalkers is just starting to make the rounds. And you know who is overly represented on death row and life in prison Tim? At some point all these  things start to add up. Wait until someone does an ad of him saying black parents don't talk to their children causing them to have a smaller vocabulary. You know lousy parents. That's going to play well. Especially in conjunction with his comments on desegregation. And if the Democrats don't you know darn well the Republicans will. With glee.

• Like 1

I said it last election cycle and I'll say it again, as a fairly conservative voter, if the Dems will nominate Bernie, he gets my vote.

I value character enough that despite being aligned more with Trump politically, I would rather have a trustworthy President.

• Like 1

Bernie Sanders proposes a financial transaction tax on all investments. I will link the details when I can find them.

20 minutes ago, timschochet said:

Bernie Sanders proposes a financial transaction tax on all investments. I will link the details when I can find them.

He's been talking about that for a while. It's actually something a lot of countries have. Details will matter though. And actually several people have put forth proposals since Bernie's run. Even Hillary. 

11 minutes ago, NCCommish said:

He's been talking about that for a while. It's actually something a lot of countries have. Details will matter though. And actually several people have put forth proposals since Bernie's run. Even Hillary. 

Right. When I tried to look it up I got a plan from 2016, but I didn't want to go with that because there might have been changes.

OK here we go, from Bloomberg:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-22/sanders-revives-plan-to-tax-stock-bond-and-derivatives-trades

The plan he offered Wednesday would apply a 0.5% tax rate for stock trades, a 0.1% rate for bond trades, and 0.005% for derivatives transactions.

The tax would both provide a disincentive for high-frequency trading based on algorithms and let Wall Street help middle-income Americans who helped foot the bill for the bailout of financial institutions after the 2008 market crash, he said at a news conference with other Democratic co-sponsors.

As he did in 2016, Sanders said the tax could generate enough revenue to offset the costs of tuition-free college and help pare down student debt. He said Wednesday that the proposal could generate as much as $2.4 trillion over a decade.

1 minute ago, timschochet said:

Right. When I tried to look it up I got a plan from 2016, but I didn't want to go with that because there might have been changes.

Yeah the details are important. Like how will this affect large public/private pension fund investments?

The first thing everyone needs to realize is that, if Bernie Sanders is elected President, this plan has no chance of passing Congress. At least not in the the first 2 years of his Presidency, and extremely unlikely in the 2nd two years.

That being said, it's important, like all of Bernie's ideas. Because if he is elected (or even if he does very well among Democratic voters but ultimately is not the nominee) then these proposals will continue to be taken seriously.

4 minutes ago, NCCommish said:

Yeah the details are important. Like how will this affect large public/private pension fund investments?

I heard on the radio that there will be some sort of exception for smaller investors. Whether that affects the larger 401Ks, I don't know. It's not the article.

But- if I were a progressive I honestly might be more attracted by Warren's plan to tax people with wealth valued at over 50 million. It's a simpler idea, easier to understand, and there's no threat to pension investors. Of course, those opposed will argue that either tax would be devastating for our economic prosperity.