What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 New York Jets: Kotite-like (1 Viewer)

Fariq

Footballguy
The Jets will probably make a good effort to resign Muhammad Wilkerson, Damon Harrison and Ryan Fitzpatrick. Demario Davis is more of a question. He is really good inside the box but is bad in coverage. Whoever signs him has to be careful in when they use him. 

I do not think there will be any big free agent signings of players from other teams. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Jets released CB Antonio Cromartie.
The long-expected move clears $8 million in cap space and leaves behind no dead money. Cromartie re-signed with the Jets to great fanfare last March, inking a "four-year, $32 million" deal, but ended up being one of the league's worst cornerbacks during his age-31 season. Cromartie is a greatly diminished player as he heads into what would be his 11th NFL campaign. He turns 32 in April. Marcus Williams is the obvious in-house replacement for Gang Green. Feb 22 - 1:18 PM

Not shocking of course. Thankfully Mac structured his contract smartly. Word is Cromartie really wants to return but imo it would need to be near veteran minimum cheap to even consider it. He was brutally bad last season.

I thought Marcus Williams played well last year, I'm good with him at CB replacing CRO.

Please let's lock up Wilk...

I do not think there will be any big free agent signings of players from other teams. 
I agree. The cap space just isn't there and like you said they need to resign the guys you listed.

I could see a few bargain basement type signings to add some o-line depth or perhaps a veteran TE like Scott Chandler or Jermaine Greschem.

hard to get all that psyched about next year. Unless they hit a home run in the draft, the overall talent level on the team will almost certainly be down. Snacks and the running backs leaving will hurt.

hard to get all that psyched about next year. Unless they hit a home run in the draft, the overall talent level on the team will almost certainly be down. Snacks and the running backs leaving will hurt.
Harrison will be a loss but I think having Richardson, Wilkerson and Williams on the outsides will help whoever plays NT.

I think they can find a RB in the draft and not really miss much - I wouldnt be surprised if Powell comes back relatively cheap.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports impending free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick is expected to hit the open market.

Rapoport reports the Jets and Fitzpatrick remain "far apart" in negotiations. This close to the legal tampering window, it makes sense for the Fitzpatrick to gauge his value on the market. With Sam Bradford and Kirk Cousins locked up, Fitzpatrick is the best veteran option available. His next deal could rival Bradford's two-year, $36 million contract.

I'm a supporter of Fitzpatrick and appreciate what he brought to the team last season. But while I can't begrudge him from seeking the best deal he can, the thought of paying him at that level scares me a bit to be honest.

Hopefully he finds a cool market and something gets worked out. With only Houston, Cleveland and SF really looking for a starting QB, he just may. I think we can remove Houston from the equation (since they traded him away last offseason) and with Cleveland being in position to draft a QB and McCown already rostered as a veteran we can likely remove them from the mix as well. If the Niners want to overpay him, sobeit.

I'm a supporter of Fitzpatrick and appreciate what he brought to the team last season. But while I can't begrudge him from seeking the best deal he can, the thought of paying him at that level scares me a bit to be honest.

Hopefully he finds a cool market and something gets worked out. With only Houston, Cleveland and SF really looking for a starting QB, he just may. I think we can remove Houston from the equation (since they traded him away last offseason) and with Cleveland being in position to draft a QB and McCown already rostered as a veteran we can likely remove them from the mix as well. If the Niners want to overpay him, sobeit.

Dangerous game of chicken for both sides......Jets need Fitz to be a playoff worthy team and bridge to a young QB the next 2 yrs.....Fitz is in the perfect system and team for him at this point in his career.  Makes too much sense for a deal not to be done - but then the Eagles screw it all up by handing Bradford that much cash....I cant blame Fitz for trying to get more but just look at what happened the last time he recd a big payday.  If he goes down that road then I wont kill Mac for letting him go....however, Mac better have a plan B that doesnt include Geno!  

T

Yeah, the second I saw that absurd Bradford deal, I knew it would be trouble.

That being said, overpaying the guy for 2 years isn't the worst thing they can do. Pretty much every QB outside the top 5 is overpaid.  Sure beats giving that scrub Ryan Tannehill $95 Million to hold your franchise back for half a decade.

In a perfect world, he'd take a more reasonable deal to allow the Jets to MAYBE keep snacks or pay Wilkerson, but you cant blame him for not doing it. Its his last payday.

TLEF316 said:
Yeah, the second I saw that absurd Bradford deal, I knew it would be trouble.

That being said, overpaying the guy for 2 years isn't the worst thing they can do. Pretty much every QB outside the top 5 is overpaid.  Sure beats giving that scrub Ryan Tannehill $95 Million to hold your franchise back for half a decade.

In a perfect world, he'd take a more reasonable deal to allow the Jets to MAYBE keep snacks or pay Wilkerson, but you cant blame him for not doing it. Its his last payday.
Very quiet out of Jets camp - at this point with no deal in place for Wilk, Fitz or Harrison - I tend to think the worst.  

While I would give Wilk the big contract, I think he gets dealt.  The problem is if it takes too long then Snacks is gone as well.  

Fitz could get a crazy deal from another team easily

So in a few weeks we could be looking at a Jets team with no Wilk, Snacks or Fitz - talk about a big step back.  

Honestly I hope Fitzpatrick Signs at any price... .17 Million Sure why not....

To me, Jets are looking at a step back year regardless.... I just pray it's a deal they can get out of easily and pay that money up front.

Last year was the perfect storm of Opponents Crumbling before us, Least injuries in the NFL and miracle plays on Offense..

DL - once a strength, might be without Snacks - Richardson Suspension and Mo gone or holding out - I was against a few Revis hold outs - But, this guy with injury last year and the price of DL - is Prime Hold out candidate.

One of the writers at FBG did a analysis of "Intercepatble" Throws... Fitz was remarkably lucky - add in the Bail outs by Marshall and Decker.

I WANT all the Bearded MF, T-Shirt buying - Rainbow worshipping Jet fans to see a 17 Million Dollar Journeyman QB wallow in his own Pig ####

To me, it's a step back year anyway... Schedule goes from easiest to toughest. Accumulate Compensatory picks, lock up a top 5 Draft pick and regroup in 17'

- Back to the Darkside.

Honestly I hope Fitzpatrick Signs at any price... .17 Million Sure why not....
I know you're a strangely bitter Geno fan venting on Fitzpatrick - but honestly I mostly agree that Fitz will be hard pressed to follow up on his career year where he did get a lot of breaks.

If he wants Bradford money, I'd rather bring in a guy like Chase Daniels and have him, Geno and Petty battle it out in OTAs and camp. I know the team is built to "win now" but Fitz doesn't guarantee even a playoff appearance, obviously.

I know you're a strangely bitter Geno fan venting on Fitzpatrick - but honestly I mostly agree that Fitz will be hard pressed to follow up on his career year where he did get a lot of breaks.

If he wants Bradford money, I'd rather bring in a guy like Chase Daniels and have him, Geno and Petty battle it out in OTAs and camp. I know the team is built to "win now" but Fitz doesn't guarantee even a playoff appearance, obviously.

Again..

The Thing is... Yeah I'm a Bitter Jets fan - But, Geno is like the 101st thing I may have an ounce of bitterness about. I'm bitter that Parcells didn't go all out for Peyton. I'm bitter they didn't draft Marino....

But, I'm seeing and hearing from too many Jet fans who grew their beards out and bought Fitzmagic shirts who are walking around in a daze today believing that not signing Fitz means the year is going to blow (literally seeing "Playoff Run" Vs 5-11 on Twitter).... I have news for them, lol. It's going to be monumentally tough either way - spare me the Magic.

Any feelings I have about Fitz have absolutely nothing to do with Geno.  I do think ppl are insane if they can't watch every pass of both QB's and understand the difference between Systems, talent, opponents and pure luck... But, whatever... I see many unbiased Non fan sites and analysts like PFF who see it for what it is.  All I want is a young Promising QB to groom, and heck PAY.... OR pay a Journeyman what a journeyman should get.

You see, the advantage and sweet spot of having a journeyman QB is all the money you save to Build a solid foundation of a Team - Paying a Journeyman 16-17 million just to still go 7-9 to 9-7 or worse is crazy,.

But, lets do it.... I felt the same way in Sanchez' last year - Give HIM the ball (Not Geno) and let the cards play out. Let ppl be convinced.

Do it - Pay the man, his team mates love him, he makes great faces and is exciting!!!

My only wish at this point is to pay him BUT be able to walk away after everyone else is convinced.

It begins........

Ivory gone - can't kill MAc on that as I dont think he is worth $6.5M - hopefully they can get Powell on a reasonable deal then draft a RB..if no Powell it's going to be a huge hole though one of the easier ones to fill in the draft IMO.   

Im expecting Snacks to be next to go - and after that huge contract to Malik I think it's a given that Wilkerson will be dealt as well.  Looking at next year with potentially no Snacks/Wilkerson and a long Sheldon suspension.....ouch - this will hurt

As for Fitz - no news is good news at this point but there was no way Mac could have envisioned him having such a huge year and jumping in salary demands by close to $10M - I think the dominoes will start falling at QB once Brock signs....if he goes to Houston then I can see Denver going after Fitz...I think it's 50%/50% he returns

Little perplexed that MAc hasnt made a few more cuts (Cumberland, Kerley) and/or restructured deals or made players take cuts....Brick (who deserves half as much as he earns), Revis and Wilkerson now make $46M vs the cap.  Thats is just not realistic....Tanny would have restructured these guys just kicking the can down the road...I think Mac takes the hit this year and let's Brick lapse (down to a mere $1M hit next year) as well as Harris ($6M) which will give them over $50M under the cap next year....

Looking at the above - it may be time to be realistic....last year was fun.  Brady has 2-3 more top yrs max....it's time to get the future in order.  Let some of these bad contracts expire, not kicked down the road....get some good draft picks hopefully some comp picks for losing Ivory and others and sign some reasonably priced payers to set up the next run....

the #1 priority at this point is to find and groom the future QB...if they trade Wilk for a #1 or #2 I would think he would use one of them on a QB to compete with Petty.  Hope one of them hits and then you have the QB and cap space to sign Sheldon, Leonard Williams, etc for the post Brady run.  

Hate to think like this but the cards are on the table on this one.....bummed

Oh Yeah... 

And YES  i would not enjoy seeing Geno get the ball this year and face a lineup of Seattle, Arizona, KC on the road, Cincy and look mediocre and have ppl double down on how great Fitz would have been..

When Fitz didn't beat or even face any team last year like those!!!! 

I want a Great QB to groom - But, any part of me that has hope for Geno would rather see him come in off the bench next year after ppl can see Fitz Vs good D's for a little while for perspective. 

Honestly we are mostly in agreement on Fitz (although I appreciate what he did last season more than you). I'd prefer for some one else to sign him away before they give him $26MM guaranteed or spread out a muti-year cap hit. If they could bring him back somewhere in the $10MM for one season range then I'd be all for it and see what happens (I get why he may balk at that and leave and wouldn't begrudge him of a big payday if he can get it). There are enough pieces in place that another 10-6 record is achievable - things change quickly as far as SoS, etc.

If worse comes to worse I think a guy like Chase Daniels could lead to another "lightening in a bottle" type season - or maybe giving RGIII a chance to turn his career back around, he's obviously a talent.

Honestly we are mostly in agreement on Fitz (although I appreciate what he did last season more than you).

Believe me, The Fan in Me sleeps better when The Jets win.... Every time Fitz did something good I celebrated. It was fun.

The masochist side of me tries to step back and analyze without bias and then watches every throw and play over again real slow... 

Ralph VacchianoVerified account @RVacchianoNYDN 2m2 minutes ago

$9 million/year buys a lot of "Snacks" ... and one big, 350-pound, former Jets DT (Damon Harrison), who is now headed to the Giants.
Think it was expected that he'd be gone. I loved the guy but he was really a part time player and with Williams, Richardson and Wilkerson causing havoc at the ends positions I think they can find another run stuffer that can benefit.

Good luck, Snacks.

any word on what they paid for Forte?  I think he's an upgrade from Ivory - likely cheaper.  

Guess thats a wrap on Powell's Jet career

any word on what they paid for Forte?  I think he's an upgrade from Ivory - likely cheaper.  

Guess thats a wrap on Powell's Jet career
I don't know what the contract is but I assume it is less than what Ivory got. I did not want Ivory to come back. He was not a guy you could count on and he had a nothing game in Week 17 when he was really needed. I would not resign Powell. A back should be drafted. For 3rd string, an undrafted free agent could be added- no big deal.

By signing Forte, they are all but forced to sign Fitz. They can't possibly be dumb enough to let him go, can they? If they do, they pretty much waste the signing of Forte. Forte is a win now guy. He's no long term RB. Bob Griffin and K-Stink do not fit this team. They would each be a disaster.

Forte is the most underrated back in the league. It may only be for a year or two, but he will be a fan favorite in New York right away. Just a wonderful all around talent. He's not going to split time with anyone, and I expect him to come to camp in the best shape of his life. Great great sign

I love the Forte signing. His receiving ability will be great in this system.

I liked Ivory, but he was one dimensional and got hurt too much from his style. Not worth the money he got from Jax.

I hate losing Snacks, but he was a part-time player getting insane money. Good guy to root for.

Thank God Wasteland got cut. It just shows you how bad our TE situation was if this guy still had a job.

JK - you came through many times, but you had no role in this offense anymore. I'm not sure what you did to piss off the coaches. I won't miss all those fair catches.

Pass on Dem Davis.

Fitz had a nice season, but he's only worth it up to a certain price. Worst comes to worst, I would rather start Bryce than that clown Geno. Anyone, but Geno.

Can any Jets fans tolerate following Jason McIntyre (of The Big Lead) on Twitter?
No Need to... I barely know who that is and have seen him but, for whatever reason unfollowed.... too many good follows!!!

By signing Forte, they are all but forced to sign Fitz. They can't possibly be dumb enough to let him go, can they? If they do, they pretty much waste the signing of Forte. Forte is a win now guy. He's no long term RB. Bob Griffin and K-Stink do not fit this team. They would each be a disaster.

Not a believer in 'Win Now" or Bust - Bottom line they needed a RB and paid less for Forte and they still need to get Depth...

If Fitz wants 16 mill (again I'm fine with that) and the team draws the line, I respect that - IMO it has more to do with years tho... 

Name of the game is keep stringing good drafts together - no matter what else happens, if you don't draft well and consistent you tread water - If you do you can always replenish and fill gaps where you lose talent do to the cap... Unless of course you have a HOF QB (weep)

At some point regarding Fitz we have to say the NYJ talent evaluators with all Fitz' moxy, Team love, Beards and Crazy faces...... are saying something Strong about what ppl see on film. 

Could they send a mid to late round pick for Mike Glennon? I like that guy and he could potentially be a long term option.

I'd also consider RGIII on a "prove it" type deal. I am not a Geno fan at all but honestly he'd be in the best position he's been in since he's been here if they need to go that route.

I don't blame Fitz at all but I really don't think we should do anything "stupid" just to keep him - is there anyone that doesn't think last season was at least a little fluky or a "career year" for sure?

J.J.@JJoyJets 13m13 minutes ago

On ESPN, Ed Werder just said the Jets are offering less to Fitz than what Chase Daniel got (3 years 21 million with incentives)
I wonder if Fitz would retire before he takes an "insulting" offer. I think the only team that could have interest in him at this point would be Denver (and I have yet to hear him listed as an option for them).

Everything Ive seem says the market just isnt there for Fitz......Denver hasnt shown any public interest and the rumors are they want Kaeper....Mike/Mike reported that Fitz deal could take weeks or longer to get done....also saw this...cant say I disagree with either side...

On ESPN, Ed Werder just said the Jets are offering less to Fitz than what Chase Daniel got (3 years 21 million with incentives)

9:37 AM - 10 Mar 2016

how were they in on this?  Must be a deal with Mo in the works.....

Peter King of Sports Illustrated and The MMQB published a tick-tock of how defensive end Olivier Vernon's megadeal with the Giants got done. The story was told from the perspective of Vernon's agent, David Canter, who said the Jets were in the mix for Vernon until close to the end.

According to King, the Jets were willing to give Vernon a five-year deal—the same max length the Giants gave him. But the Jets dropped out of the running after Vernon's annual price tag climbed above $15 million.

Could they send a mid to late round pick for Mike Glennon? I like that guy and he could potentially be a long term option.

I'd also consider RGIII on a "prove it" type deal. I am not a Geno fan at all but honestly he'd be in the best position he's been in since he's been here if they need to go that route.

I don't blame Fitz at all but I really don't think we should do anything "stupid" just to keep him - is there anyone that doesn't think last season was at least a little fluky or a "career year" for sure?
Considering Pro Football Focus had Fitz as their number six or seven quarterback of 2014, then yeah, last season wasn't that flukey. 

Still can't throw deep, though, which is what we sort of need with big, tall, fast, leggy receivers running all over the place. 

As far as receivers, I guess we have Marshall and Smith on the outside and Decker running slot with a host of others running four and Amaro running TE duties in the spread. 

Considering Pro Football Focus had Fitz as their number six or seven quarterback of 2014, then yeah, last season wasn't that flukey. 
perhaps aberration would be a better word. Listen, I loved what he did for this team and felt a confidence in comeback modes that I haven't felt in a long time, but we have a full career of data on the guy and he's more "intangibles" than raw talent. I want him back. I just don't want them to overspend.

perhaps aberration would be a better word. Listen, I loved what he did for this team and felt a confidence in comeback modes that I haven't felt in a long time, but we have a full career of data on the guy and he's more "intangibles" than raw talent. I want him back. I just don't want them to overspend.
Yeah, I agree with you, I'm just not sure how much of an aberration it is until they start crowding the box with nine (which they will). 

Powell was brought back. If the contract is not outlandish, then that is fine. I just thought with Forte here, the Jets could have saved money at RB and gone with cheaper options. Powell is good, though. So from a dumb guy-I-don't-care-about-the-cap angle, Powell being back is good.

Looks like we got Powell back. Happy about that. He looked great last season. Missed him big time in the finale against the bills 

I have to say with each passing day, there's a big part of me that hopes Denver scoops in and steals Fitzmagic away. Last season was really fun, but it's likely not sustainable. I'm also probably a little bitter that he's playing hardball (not that I can blame him of course, but...).

Fitzpatrick was a fiery leader and was in command of the offense but his arm was nearly as weak as Peyton's and his lack of accuracy got us into some of the messes that he was forced to try and dig us out of.

I think Geno is a completer bonehead who just may never "get it" - but as I said earlier he would be surrounded by the most talent he's ever had around him if he saw the field this season - and at least there's some upside and hope of a future.

Ideally, I'd like to see a trade for a young backup that's shown some potential like Glennon, Gabbert or McCarron and see what they can do under their rookie deals before having to make a big commitment but their teams probably lack the incentive to move them.

There's some other stop gap veterans out there as well - Matt Moore was always a guy I liked. He'd probably cost peanuts.

I have to say with each passing day, there's a big part of me that hopes Denver scoops in and steals Fitzmagic away. Last season was really fun, but it's likely not sustainable. I'm also probably a little bitter that he's playing hardball (not that I can blame him of course, but...).

Fitzpatrick was a fiery leader and was in command of the offense but his arm was nearly as weak as Peyton's and his lack of accuracy got us into some of the messes that he was forced to try and dig us out of.
Yea, I'm ok with signing him for "win the job" money, not multi-year starter money - making any kind of commitment to Fitz sets the team back, imho. I also can't get that season-killing INT late in the BUF game out of my mind.

I'd like to see what they have in Petty, too. 

Strange to see so many Jet fans and critics behind the team on its stalemate with Fitz.....Joe B compared the standoff to the MEts/Cespedes which the team played perfectly.....At this point it doesnt seem like Fitz as any other great options unless Denver comes calling....I think the Jets give him a deadline and then move on....for once most fans are on the team side of a negotiation.  

Strange to see so many Jet fans and critics behind the team on its stalemate with Fitz.....Joe B compared the standoff to the MEts/Cespedes which the team played perfectly.....At this point it doesnt seem like Fitz as any other great options unless Denver comes calling....I think the Jets give him a deadline and then move on....for once most fans are on the team side of a negotiation.  
The best comparison I could make to Fitz was Vinny Testaverde. Except, as a fan, I had a lot more confidence in VT. At least he had an arm to keep the D honest. Marshall and Decker made Fitz's year what it was. Marshall and Decker would have made any qb look good last year.

Dr. Octopus said:
Wilkerson to the Bears for Martellus Bennett and a second round pick.

Yuck.
Oh, that's just awful.  

eta* Cosentino says bogus report. 

Users who are viewing this thread