What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Board Upgrade Tips - FAQ in first post (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregR

Footballguy
For the new board software, making a list of tips and how to based on the Bored Discussion thread. So people don't have to try to read that whole thread to find answers. Maybe best if we keep discussion there and only post new tips here.

Please post any tips that were missed.

Filter by Posts I Replied To

This is working now that the indexes that it runs on have finished rebuild.  You can do this from a forum page with the top right Sort By button -> Custom and then change the Filter to posts you replied in. You cannot bookmark the URL for the Sort By filter to revisit, but if you keep the window/tab open you can refresh it once you've set it.

Another option that you does work for bookmarking the URL, is to click on your Activity tab at the top and under My Activity Streams choose Content I Posted in.  A sample bookmark for this would be this link

Go To First Unread Post

Click on the circle or star next to the post to jump to the first unread post. It has always worked this way on desktop, but now mobile works the same rather than the thread title taking you there.

Go To Last Post in Thread

The timestamp of when the thread was last posted in is a link that jumps to that last post.

Nested Quotes, Quote Multiple Posts

Invision changed their boards to only have 1 nested quote by default, because having too many made it unreadable, particularly on mobile. You can include multiple separate quote boxes though. To include more than one, just click the + next to Quote on the posts you wish included. A new button will then appear at the bottom to include all of the quotes.

You can also highlight a post and hit the "Quote This" that pops up and it might include more of the previous quote(s).

Removing a Quote Box When Typing a Reply

Mouseover or highlight the quote box and there will be a new box top left for moving the quote box. Click and then delete or backspace to remove it.  You can also control-right click over the quote box to bring up a menu with a few options including deleting it. You also can Select All (control-A) and then delete everything in your reply.  Deleting quote boxes in the editor may be broken on iOS.  If so you could always post it and then edit the post and remove it there.

Text From Old Post Keeps Appearing in Reply Box

Invision meant this as a feature, saving a draft within the browser so you can go to other pages if you want, come back, and continue the post.  Have to manually delete the previous text at least for now.

Link Directly To a Post / Post Number

The software currently isn't showing what numbered post in the thread each post is. But you can still get the URL directly to the post from the timestamp of the post.  For quoted posts the 'back" arrow on the far right of the quote is a link to the quoted post as well.

How Do You Do a Spoiler?

Same as before, put the word spoiler in brackets [] and close it with /spoiler in brackets, with your text in between them.  If you have multiple spoiler boxes, having returns or links inside of the spoiler when you first create the post can cause problems as it seems confused on which tags go together. To avoid this, create the post with the spoiler boxes but without returns or links inside any of the spoilers. Once they are all created and appear properly, edit the post to put the missing content back inside of them.

Prevent Spoilers From Showing Text Early

For text in a spoiler box... using the normal menu in the reply window to do italics, bold, etc, may cause any normal font words that follow the bolded/italicized to show up before the spoiler is opened.

It looks like you can avoid this issue two ways if you need bold or italics in there. First is you post it with all the words in normal font, then edit it to add the bold, etc.  Second, if you manually add the bold/italics instead of using the menu it seems to avoid the bug.  Wrapping the text with i and /i inside brackets [] for italics, and b and /b inside brackets for bold.

What is this New Twitter-like Mention Thing?

You can mention people by typing the @ sign and a few letters of their name and then selecting them so it looks like this: @Greg Russell. They will get a Notification of your post, so it is a way to draw their attention to it.

Does Searching Work?

Just heard indexes finished rebuilding for searches, so they should be working on older posts now. You can also still use Google, search for site:forums.footballguys.com and then whatever other search terms you want.

Can We Get More Likes?

They are unlimited now.

Cannot View a Thread With a Symbol in the Name

Threads from the previous board version that used symbols in the titles will not display now. You can create a new thread for it, then use Report and say in the report what the old thread was, and ask the mods to merge the old thread into your new one, after which everything should work in the new thread.

Turning Notifications On/Off

Turn notifications on or off by clicking on your name top right, then Account Settings, and then Notifications. You can also choose what things you want a notification to occur for.

Can We Change Number of Threads Per Page?

Threads per top forum page cannot be changed in the software, it's locked at 25 in this version.

Will There Be Pictures Now?

We won't have that ability going forward, it is being disabled as soon as it can be. No idea if current images will just disappear or what, so if you don't want it lost should probably stick with the URL.

Editing a Thread Title

There is just one editor now so you no longer need to go to a separate full editor to change a thread title. Just hit Edit on the original post and the title can be changed there.

How Does Marking a Forum as Read Work?

The Mark Forum Read button that for awhile was right beside the Start New Topic button has been removed. It is tied to the Start New Topic location by the software, so can't be moved somewhere out of the way. But can be disabled which is what was done. There is also an option to mark the entire site as read, but it is more out of the way so was left in place.

However you can still mark a forum as read from the Our Forums page.  The icon to the left of each forum will mark that forum as read.

Different Formatting Options in the Editor

There are three different editor menus for things like text formatting, a Small, Medium and Large, with different button sets. Which you see depends on whether you are mobile or desktop, and on the width of your browser. Exotic screen resolutions in particular can cause problems and you may get the Small editor with few options even in a wide browser. On desktop, if you try resizing your window, both to max size, and also making it tiny, you can generally get it to switch to the full editor.

Last edited by a moderator:
As you stated, but might be lost..

Nested Quotes are still possible.. Just highlight the post + the Reply. You'll get a "Quote this" popup.. click that and nested Quotes are back.. :thumbup:

@Walking Boot   Tested it and added:

Prevent Spoilers From Showing Text Early

For text in a spoiler box... using the normal menu in the reply window to do italics, bold, etc, may cause any normal font words that follow the bolded/italicized to show up before the spoiler is opened.

It looks like you can avoid this issue two ways if you need bold or italics in there. First is you post it with all the words in normal font, then edit it to add the bold, etc. Second, if you manually add the bold/italics instead of using the menu it seems to avoid the bug.  Wrapping the text with i and /i inside brackets [] for italics, and b and /b inside brackets for bold.

How do you turn off notifications?  So ####### annoying when the computer beeps or I get a notification because Timsochet replied to some stupid thread.

This is working now that the indexes that it runs on have finished rebuild.  You can do this from a forum page with the top right Sort By button -> Custom and then change the Filter to posts you replied in.  You cannot bookmark the URL to revisit, but if you keep the window/tab open you can refresh it once you've set it.
This bookmarked link seems to work for me.

(Or this one if I want to include threads without unread posts as well.)

Cannot View a Thread With a Symbol in the Name

Threads from the previous board version that used symbols in the titles will not display now. You can create a new thread for it, then use Report and say in the report what the old thread was, and ask the mods to merge the old thread into your new one, after which everything should work in the new thread.

I hate you guys.  :kicksrock:

Nope.  I can get rid of some notifications, but the button that controls "a new notification when new content is posted" is permanently enabled.

Those pop-ups are really annoying.

(And how do I delete previous messages and notifications?)
I'm just going by what it says, I haven't experimented with it.  But the way it reads to me, The part you are talking about is only for content you said you wanted to follow automatically, based on the buttons in the section above it:

Automatically follow content

Automatically follow new content I post

Automatically follow content I reply to

If you have either of those checked, you are telling the board you want to be notified in some fashion when anyone posts in your thread or in a thread you replied to.  If you choose to do that, you have to choose one of the 3 choices for how to notify you. The one you are saying you don't like, or either of the two options to email you (once a day or once a week).  If you choose the email options then the Notification one deselects.  If you neither want emails nor notifications, then you shouldn't have selected the options to follow content automatically. If you do not have either of those follow automatically options chosen, then the button you're talking about won't matter since you don't follow anything automatically that will trigger it.

The other place you can get notifications is the big list of items in the bottom half of the screen.  Turn off the Notification checks on all of them and you shouldn't get any more notifications.  I'm sure for most of us who don't Automatically Follow Content, the majority of our notifications are from being quoted, liked, or mentioned with the @ sign.

I'm just going by what it says, I haven't experimented with it.  But the way it reads to me, The part you are talking about is only for content you said you wanted to follow automatically, based on the buttons in the section above it:

If you have either of those checked, you are telling the board you want to be notified in some fashion when anyone posts in your thread or in a thread you replied to.  If you choose to do that, you have to choose one of the 3 choices for how to notify you. The one you are saying you don't like, or either of the two options to email you (once a day or once a week).  If you choose the email options then the Notification one deselects.  If you neither want emails nor notifications, then you shouldn't have selected the options to follow content automatically. If you do not have either of those follow automatically options chosen, then the button you're talking about won't matter since you don't follow anything automatically that will trigger it.

The other place you can get notifications is the big list of items in the bottom half of the screen.  Turn off the Notification checks on all of them and you shouldn't get any more notifications.  I'm sure for most of us who don't Automatically Follow Content, the majority of our notifications are from being quoted, liked, or mentioned with the @ sign.
I haven't checked any notifications;  I just looked.  And I don't tweet or delicious, whatever that is.  Nor any of the others, neither.

Any other suggestions?

This is working now that the indexes that it runs on have finished rebuild.  You can do this from a forum page with the top right Sort By button -> Custom and then change the Filter to posts you replied in. You cannot bookmark the URL for the Sort By filter to revisit, but if you keep the window/tab open you can refresh it once you've set it.

Another option that you does work for bookmarking the URL, is to click on your Activity tab at the top and under My Activity Streams choose Content I Posted in.  A sample bookmark for this would be this link
That's awesome... thanks Greg.

If I start quoting a post, then decide not to reply, the reply box keeps me replying to that quote.  Is there any way to clear out the reply box quote?

On mobile?
Some say yes, with Chrome on Android. I haven't found the magic key using Dolphin, might try Chrome some time. I believe somewhere in here, maybe in the OP, Greg said it's fubar on iOS. The "workaround" I used on Dolphin was post and immediately delete. PITA but that's where it's at.

And I'm not entirely positive the iOS comment is 100% right. That's the impression I got from others, but I don't have any first hand knowledge there.

Some say yes, with Chrome on Android. I haven't found the magic key using Dolphin, might try Chrome some time. I believe somewhere in here, maybe in the OP, Greg said it's fubar on iOS. The "workaround" I used on Dolphin was post and immediately delete. PITA but that's where it's at.
How do you switch to mobile?

Now it's "good design" to delete options and force all your users into a "one size fits all" model.

Other IPB boards have options but I guess Joe didn’t spring for the deluxe model. 
Other IPB board you refer to here must be using an earlier version.

We asked them if there was a way to change that setting. Response: "No, this is a set number on IPS4"

Nested Quotes, Quote Multiple Posts

Invision changed their boards to only have 1 nested quote by default, because having too many made it unreadable, particularly on mobile. You can include multiple separate quote boxes though. To include more than one, just click the + next to Quote on the posts you wish included. A new button will then appear at the bottom to include all of the quotes.
Don't understand this, so if there are two quotes from ten pages apart, I have to go back and get the first one? Also, are we ever going to get the posting numbers back?

Don't mean to be a PITA, but some of this that was 'updated' was working fine before, now is worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread