GregR

Board Upgrade Tips - FAQ in first post

601 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, 3C's said:

Some say yes, with Chrome on Android. I haven't found the magic key using Dolphin, might try Chrome some time. I believe somewhere in here, maybe in the OP, Greg said it's fubar on iOS. The "workaround" I used on Dolphin was post and immediately delete. PITA but that's where it's at.

How do you switch to mobile?

1 person likes this

19 minutes ago, E Street Brat said:

How do you switch to mobile?

You can't. It's all the same for everyone on every device. "Options" are a thing of the past.

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

Now it's "good design" to delete options and force all your users into a "one size fits all" model.

Other IPB boards have options but I guess Joe didn’t spring for the deluxe model. 

Other IPB board you refer to here must be using an earlier version.

We asked them if there was a way to change that setting. Response: "No, this is a set number on IPS4"

1 person likes this

On 2/22/2016 at 0:25 PM, Greg Russell said:

Nested Quotes, Quote Multiple Posts

Invision changed their boards to only have 1 nested quote by default, because having too many made it unreadable, particularly on mobile. You can include multiple separate quote boxes though. To include more than one, just click the + next to Quote on the posts you wish included. A new button will then appear at the bottom to include all of the quotes.

Don't understand this, so if there are two quotes from ten pages apart, I have to go back and get the first one? Also, are we ever going to get the posting numbers back?

Don't mean to be a PITA, but some of this that was 'updated' was working fine before, now is worse.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, eoMMan said:

Can we prevent people from changing thread titles?

Why would you want this?

2 people like this

Just now, AhrnCityPahnder said:

Why would you want this?

It's really upsetting to finally get a chance to share an easy bake oven recipe with the fella's, only to see it's a Donald Trump thread in disguise.  

2 people like this

47 minutes ago, Scoresman said:

It's really upsetting to finally get a chance to share an easy bake oven recipe with the fella's, only to see it's a Donald Trump thread in disguise.  

Exactly this.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Aaron Rudnicki said:

Other IPB board you refer to here must be using an earlier version.

We asked them if there was a way to change that setting. Response: "No, this is a set number on IPS4"

that will be in next years upgrade.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, eoMMan said:

Seems like a dumb request but then again, always have to consider the source. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Seems like a dumb request but then again, always have to consider the source. 

Stop sweating me, Doctor Dick.

1 person likes this

On 2/22/2016 at 4:05 PM, grateful zed said:

im guessing likes will get abused.

I doubt it

3 people like this

8 hours ago, eoMMan said:

The best way to do this, in my experience, is to threaten their families.

1 person likes this

When an ignored user quotes another post his entire post is visible to me.  

9 hours ago, eoMMan said:

2nd.  It's usually the sports threads.  The second a game ends (or in the middle of the game) someone feels the need to update the title of the official thread.  They don't realize that not all of us view tv live, especially sporting events.  I came home one night to watch the thunder on delay and it was spoiled.  Same goes for TV show threads. The only time a thread title change was justified was when the word "update" was used followed by a post number.  Now those numbers are gone so no need to ever change the title.

1 person likes this

With only 25 threads on page one there really isn't any space for one pinned thread much less two.  Mods, please unpin. I'm going to start a thread on finding a five dollar bill today and I'd like it to get at least 10 minutes on page one before it falls to page two and disappears forever. Thanks guys.

1 person likes this

23 hours ago, cap'n grunge said:

Don't forget the new twitter like mention feature. Now we can all PM @shuke.

That doesn't start a PM.

41 minutes ago, shuke said:

That doesn't start a PM.

Publicly Mention?

2 hours ago, Willie Neslon said:

2nd.  It's usually the sports threads.  The second a game ends (or in the middle of the game) someone feels the need to update the title of the official thread.  They don't realize that not all of us view tv live, especially sporting events.  I came home one night to watch the thunder on delay and it was spoiled.  Same goes for TV show threads. The only time a thread title change was justified was when the word "update" was used followed by a post number.  Now those numbers are gone so no need to ever change the title.

Someday instead of having these boards be strictly about yoga pants, Donald Trump, prime rib dinners and wallabies, we might let people discuss fantasy football.  Being able to update player thread titles for recent happenings is kind of nice.

Probably will never happen, but I'm just saying, if it did...

2 people like this

Even after the upgrade, I was able to mark a forum read. As of yesterday, it seems my only option is to mark the entire site read. Has something changed? 

15 hours ago, Mr. Ected said:
On 2/22/2016 at 11:25 AM, Greg Russell said:

Nested Quotes, Quote Multiple Posts

Invision changed their boards to only have 1 nested quote by default, because having too many made it unreadable, particularly on mobile. You can include multiple separate quote boxes though. To include more than one, just click the + next to Quote on the posts you wish included. A new button will then appear at the bottom to include all of the quotes.

Don't understand this, so if there are two quotes from ten pages apart, I have to go back and get the first one? Also, are we ever going to get the posting numbers back?

Don't mean to be a PITA, but some of this that was 'updated' was working fine before, now is worse.

:no: at least not on the Desktop..

Just highlight the entire post you want to reply to, you'll see a "Quote this" pop up.. click that, and as you can see I "nested" both replies from your post :thumbup:

2 people like this

50 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

How do you ignore someone now?

I'm sorry, did you say something?

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Cjw_55106 said:

Even after the upgrade, I was able to mark a forum read. As of yesterday, it seems my only option is to mark the entire site read. Has something changed? 

If I caught it all correctly... there were a lot of complaints about the button's placement, it being very easy to hit by mistake right next to the new thread button. In the board software the button location is tied to the start new post button's location. So it can't be moved somewhere out of the way, but it can be disabled entirely.  So it was disabled so people wouldn't hit it by mistake.

so, you're the only person who used that button?

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, Aaron Rudnicki said:

so, you're the only person who used that button?

How would I know who used it? 

2 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

You're the only one. Believe me.  

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

I honestly truly believed it was a button created for pure evil. Couldn't even imagine a reason somebody would want to mark the board as read. It's a horrible experience when you click it accidentally. Traumatizing really.

2 people like this

Just now, Aaron Rudnicki said:

I honestly truly believed it was a button created for pure evil. Couldn't even imagine a reason somebody would want to mark the board as read. It's a horrible experience when you click it accidentally. Traumatizing really.

I want to be able to mark a forum read. The option to mark the entire board as read is still there. 

5 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

I want to be able to mark a forum read. The option to mark the entire board as read is still there. 

I agree that one is bad too, but it's not placed in a horrible spot that makes it easy to click accidentally.

Everybody that I've ever heard from has hated those options. Like I said, you're the first that seemed to like/use it.

Sorry it was removed for you (we tried to move it first), but I think the vast majority of people here would prefer this current setting.

Understood. I just like to get a clean look after I read the topics I care about. 

1 person likes this

You can still mark an individual forum read from the "our forums" list page. Click the icon next to the forum name. (As if you were going to the first unread post. Strangely enough on that page it's that mechanic) 

4 people like this

1 minute ago, Walking Boot said:

You can still mark an individual forum read from the "our forums" list page. Click the icon next to the forum name. (As if you were going to the first unread post. Strangely enough on that page it's that mechanic) 

Perfect. Thank you. 

1 person likes this

Obviously the change sucks in almost every way, but I do like how ignored posts are much less intrusive now, almost invisible. Big upgrade there imo. 

You've chosen to ignore content by Eminence. Options 

1 person likes this

Added these two to the FAQ.

On 2/22/2016 at 11:25 AM, Greg Russell said:

How Does Marking a Forum as Read Work?

The Mark Forum Read button that for awhile was right beside the Start New Topic button has been removed. It is tied to the Start New Topic location by the software, so can't be moved somewhere out of the way. But can be disabled which is what was done. There is also an option to mark the entire site as read, but it is more out of the way so was left in place.

However you can still mark a forum as read from the Our Forums page.  The icon to the left of each forum will mark that forum as read.

Editor For Original Posts Has Less Functionality

If you edit a thread's original post the style menu is reduced to bold, italics, underline, emoticon and links. This has been reported to Invision.  As a workaround, if you need to do more formatting than that in your original post, you can do it in a Reply (or even somewhere like Word), and then cut and paste it in.

36 minutes ago, Greg Russell said:

Added these two to the FAQ.

On 2/22/2016 at 0:25 PM, Greg Russell said:

How Does Marking a Forum as Read Work?

The Mark Forum Read button that for awhile was right beside the Start New Topic button has been removed. It is tied to the Start New Topic location by the software, so can't be moved somewhere out of the way. But can be disabled which is what was done. There is also an option to mark the entire site as read, but it is more out of the way so was left in place.

However you can still mark a forum as read from the Our Forums page.  The icon to the left of each forum will mark that forum as read.

Editor For Original Posts Has Less Functionality

If you edit a thread's original post the style menu is reduced to bold, italics, underline, emoticon and links. This has been reported to Invision.  As a workaround, if you need to do more formatting than that in your original post, you can do it in a Reply (or even somewhere like Word), and then cut and paste it in.

The ability to preview your post before posting is gone also.

FWIW, deleting the quote box in iOS works fine for me. It's exactly the same as in Windows. Click on the 'x' in the top left corner of the box, then hit backspace.