Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
GregR

Board Upgrade Tips - FAQ in first post

"Would you like to receive notifications from this site"  EVERY FREAKING PAGE.

Another wonderful new "undocumented feature" of this upgrade.

Who designed this software?  The same people that launched the Obamacare website?

Edited by Mjolnirs

The saving of my quoted posts DAYS after I posted is the most annoying thing ever. Can't delete them on mobile. So that's while you'll see I randomly quote people with blank text.

• Like 1

Noticed the search engine is on the fritz again. Also I'm getting nothing in the "content I posted in" activity feed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Insein said:

Noticed the search engine is on the fritz again. Also I'm getting nothing in the "content I posted in" activity feed.

Can confirm, search is broken again :wall:

10 hours ago, shadyridr said:

The saving of my quoted posts DAYS after I posted is the most annoying thing ever. Can't delete them on mobile. So that's while you'll see I randomly quote people with blank text.

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS ON MOBILE!

Maybe they're slowly fixing the content I posted in. I have stuff I posted today and stuff from 2012 now. Everything in between still missing though.

Just heard indexes are being rebuilt after an update, which is the cause of the search and replied in issues. Should be done sometime early tomorrow.

13 hours ago, Greg Russell said:

Just heard indexes are being rebuilt after an update, which is the cause of the search and replied in issues. Should be done sometime early tomorrow.

What's the timeframe on when pictures will be enabled again? 

4 hours ago, eoMMan said:

What's the timeframe on when pictures will be enabled again? 

They won't be. That some methods worked this long was a bug in the setting to disable them.

1 hour ago, KingPrawn said:

When will the having to log in every time be fixed?

Should be fixed with latest update that went in yesterday. 

Also, search index rebuild is complete and activity feeds back up. 

16 minutes ago, Aaron Rudnicki said:

Should be fixed with latest update that went in yesterday. 

Also, search index rebuild is complete and activity feeds back up. 

I still need to log on every time.

37 minutes ago, KingPrawn said:

I still need to log on every time.

Yep

1 hour ago, rascal said:

nested quotes going to work, ever?

Think they are working as expected

14 hours ago, Aaron Rudnicki said:

Think they are working as expected

This is as expected?  Not trying to be an ###, just seems like including the full conversation in a quote would be useful.  Or do I have a wrong setting?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rascal said:

This is as expected?  Not trying to be an ###, just seems like including the full conversation in a quote would be useful.  Or do I have a wrong setting?

what we have now is apparently the only option available in the latest version of Invision's board software. we can't change a setting to have it include more quote history in a conversation. you can click the arrow in upper right to trace back what people were talking about if you want to.

2 minutes ago, Aaron Rudnicki said:
8 minutes ago, rascal said:

what we have now is apparently the only option available in the latest version of Invision's board software. we can't change a setting to have it include more quote history in a conversation. you can click the arrow in upper right to trace back what people were talking about if you want to.

hey look what i did!

Just now, Peyton Marino said:

hey look what i did!

yes, there are ways to add multi-quote. but it won't happen automatically, which I think is what he was asking about.

from the first post of this thread:

Nested Quotes, Quote Multiple Posts

Invision changed their boards to only have 1 nested quote by default, because having too many made it unreadable, particularly on mobile. You can include multiple separate quote boxes though. To include more than one, just click the + next to Quote on the posts you wish included. A new button will then appear at the bottom to include all of the quotes.

You can also highlight a post and hit the "Quote This" that pops up and it might include more of the previous quote(s).

On the login thing, I recall hearing it was being passed to Invision, but I don't think anyone on staff said they had the issue that we could do much to trouble shoot it.

I wonder if anyone has tried deleting their footballguys.com and forums.footballguys.com cookies and see if maybe that helps?  Or checking other cookie or form related settings in the browser that might affect it?  It only seems to be some people having the problem, so it being something within their browsers could make sense as a potential cause.

18 minutes ago, Greg Russell said:

On the login thing, I recall hearing it was being passed to Invision, but I don't think anyone on staff said they had the issue that we could do much to trouble shoot it.

I wonder if anyone has tried deleting their footballguys.com and forums.footballguys.com cookies and see if maybe that helps?  Or checking other cookie or form related settings in the browser that might affect it?  It only seems to be some people having the problem, so it being something within their browsers could make sense as a potential cause.

I did try clearing all my cookies for FBGs and the forums. Didn't make a difference.

1 hour ago, Aaron Rudnicki said:

from the first post of this thread:

Nested Quotes, Quote Multiple Posts

Invision changed their boards to only have 1 nested quote by default, because having too many made it unreadable, particularly on mobile. You can include multiple separate quote boxes though. To include more than one, just click the + next to Quote on the posts you wish included. A new button will then appear at the bottom to include all of the quotes.

You can also highlight a post and hit the "Quote This" that pops up and it might include more of the previous quote(s).

"+" not showing up, but at least the highlight does.  Of course, if nobody uses it....

15 minutes ago, rascal said:

"+" not showing up, but at least the highlight does.  Of course, if nobody uses it....

What browser/OS are you on?

At the bottom left of a post where you click on the word Quote to quote that one post, there isn't a + on a grey background to the left of the word Quote?

2 minutes ago, Greg Russell said:

What browser/OS are you on?

At the bottom left of a post where you click on the word Quote to quote that one post, there isn't a + on a grey background to the left of the word Quote?

Internet Explorer 11/Windows 7

I see a grey box for multiquote, but that is it.

1 minute ago, rascal said:

Internet Explorer 11/Windows 7

I see a grey box for multiquote, but that is it.

Right, that's the "+" that is being referred to.  Hit that on a few posts and each of them will be quoted individually in your reply if you hit the Quote # posts box that will appear after.

Looking like this:

2 hours ago, rascal said:

2 hours ago, Aaron Rudnicki said:

2 hours ago, Peyton Marino said:

hey look what i did!

Honestly, this attempt by Invision to streamline the appearance of the board across multiple platforms is a HUGE FAIL. Especially on mobile. Its not an improvement at all and in fact is much worse because users are unable to customize to our liking. It almost appears as if Invision didn't make these changes with the end user in mind but instead were focused on their own desires. 

30 minutes ago, Ruffrodys05 said:

Honestly, this attempt by Invision to streamline the appearance of the board across multiple platforms is a HUGE FAIL. Especially on mobile. Its not an improvement at all and in fact is much worse because users are unable to customize to our liking. It almost appears as if Invision didn't make these changes with the end user in mind but instead were focused on their own desires. 

No wonder Joe and David are so loyal to them 

• Like 1

I am completely stunned that the double log in issue is still unresolved.

Does this new version use completely different software/language than the previous version? If not, maybe the programmers should compare the old code to the new code and see what they missed.  Even if it is completely different ... go back and figure out what you forgot to program into this.

Topics are falling off page one way too fast, imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mjolnirs said:

Does this new version use completely different software/language than the previous version? If not, maybe the programmers should compare the old code to the new code and see what they missed.  Even if it is completely different ... go back and figure out what you forgot to program into this.

There are no "programmers" here,  fbg bought the software as-is and out of a box. They're just an end customer. It would be like you emailing Microsoft to change the thickness of the bold lines in excel. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

There are no "programmers" here,  fbg bought the software as-is and out of a box. They're just an end customer. It would be like you emailing Microsoft to change the thickness of the bold lines in excel. 

That is at least something easy for the user to fix, not the fustercluck that is going on here.

1 hour ago, Walking Boot said:
4 hours ago, Mjolnirs said:

Sure there are no programmers at FBG, but this software is an upgrade to the software that was being used.  The old version was out of the box and this new version is out of the box. 

Losing the functionality of not only single sign on, but remembered sign on as well, is a major issue that should be hitting all purchasers of this software.  Has FBG contacted the company to see if this issue is happening for other customers, and if there is a fix in the works?

If a business purchased Excel and the newest version started requiring users to go through the "save" option twice before anything was actually saved, I'm sure Microsoft would be aware and working on it.

How does invision have so much share with such a terrible product in the first place?

• Like 1

On 3/17/2016 at 9:44 PM, KingPrawn said:

Have we gotten a reply reason excuse for this yet?

Okay - I figured this out.  I go the main forums page and it's showing me as not logged in.  But if I go click on the FFA, Shark Pool or Baseball forums, it then logs me in.  Must be a caching issue with the page.   In any case, this is no longer an issue for me.

• Like 2

I tend to view only threads I've posted in. The new "custom" option allowing me to do this seems to only have one page; I can't look at a 2nd or later page of threads I've posted in. Is there a way to do this?

On 3/25/2016 at 7:45 PM, Slapdash said:

how?

not sure if answered yet, but quote both posts that you want to nest at the same time (hit the '+' button next to quote) then drag one into the other.

Some people are having the sign on issue. It appears most do not. 

Passed it along and heard back we'd contacted Invision about it. I've not heard any update on it beyond that.

1 hour ago, El Floppo said:

I tend to view only threads I've posted in. The new "custom" option allowing me to do this seems to only have one page; I can't look at a 2nd or later page of threads I've posted in. Is there a way to do this?

I believe this was passed to Invision as well as I sent Memphis screen shots of it.

Another option would be go to Activity -> My Activity Streams up on the tabs at the top, and choose content you've posted in.

4 hours ago, urbanhack said:

Okay - I figured this out.  I go the main forums page and it's showing me as not logged in.  But if I go click on the FFA, Shark Pool or Baseball forums, it then logs me in.  Must be a caching issue with the page.   In any case, this is no longer an issue for me.

Can others having the login issue try this and report back on if it fixes it for you? 

10 hours ago, Mjolnirs said:

maybe, if they make the source code available, one or more of us could fix it.

we could wikify this bored.

2 hours ago, Greg Russell said:
6 hours ago, urbanhack said:

Can others having the login issue try this and report back on if it fixes it for you? 

From the FBGs home page

Home Tab  > Forums Home it does not keep me logged in. I have to do the log in twice

Community Tab > Forums > Shark Pool (or any other one of the forums) I do not have to log in. It remembers me from my last session.

Seems to be an issue with the Forums Home page log in

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Greg Russell said:
17 hours ago, urbanhack said:

Same here.  :loco:

I assumed everybody had the FFA as their bookmark. Guess that's why most people weren't seeing this issue. 

• Like 1