What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official 2016 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (1 Viewer)

Man we really need some veterans at receivers to deal with these young guys.  And ones who can actually catch the ball unlike Heyward Bey.   That is where missing guys like Cotchery kind of hurts. 

I really hope they keep using DeAngelo Williams regularly after week 3 because he clearly has so much more in the tank.   Having a great game so far
When Bell returns, I would hope they use Deangelo a minimum of every third series.  Keep both him and Bell healthy.

Secondary still scares me as we gave a lot of receivers cushions.  Luckily this might be the best receiving corps we see in a while.   I need more pass rush as well.  

But offensively this team is just a machine even without Leveon.  

Shazier taken out of the game due to a knee. Hopefully it's 100% totally precautionary.

I'll be knocking on my head all night. The D isn't the same without him.
Man that would take the wind out of this win if it's serious.  Dude is great but he can't stay healthy.

Feels good to dole out an ###-kicking to a division champ on the road in week 1.

Sky is the limit this year, boys. It's all down to injury luck. If we can fade the major injuries, this is a Super Bowl caliber team even without Martavis. 

Feels good to dole out an ###-kicking to a division champ on the road in week 1.

Sky is the limit this year, boys. It's all down to injury luck. If we can fade the major injuries, this is a Super Bowl caliber team even without Martavis. 
Very, very impressive opening game.  Agree completely -- no major injuries and this team is a Super Bowl favorite.

How much staying power does Rogers have in fantasy once Wheaton, Green and Bell come back.  I thought he looked good but could end up being the 5th option.  I have feeling people are going to bid a lot on him and in 4 weeks he'll only be on the field 30% of the time

How much staying power does Rogers have in fantasy once Wheaton, Green and Bell come back.  I thought he looked good but could end up being the 5th option.  I have feeling people are going to bid a lot on him and in 4 weeks he'll only be on the field 30% of the time
Kid had a rough start, but bounced back to have a solid game. Obviously only one ball to go around, but in my opinion, he has earned the right to a significant number of snaps in the slot.

At this point in time, i wouldn't be surprised either way if Green flourishes in this offense, or doesn't play a single snap ever. Hell, I don't know if he or the team know. All I know is what i saw tonight, and with some seasoning and discipline, Jesse James is more than capable of stepping into Heath's role.

Quite happy with Sammie Coates and his 2 catches on 3 targets with a 28 yard average.

Right where we need him to be in the early part of this season. In second half maybe 3 catches a game at 18.0+. Around 45 catches and 800 yards would be exactly what helps the entire offense operate by having that threat lurking.  DHB relegated to being just bench depth.

Quite happy with Sammie Coates and his 2 catches on 3 targets with a 28 yard average.

Right where we need him to be in the early part of this season. In second half maybe 3 catches a game at 18.0+. Around 45 catches and 800 yards would be exactly what helps the entire offense operate by having that threat lurking.  DHB relegated to being just bench depth.
That's true . . .  If Wheaton is starting opposite of Brown.  Not good enough as a #2 but as long as balls keep bouncing off of him and into Rogers' hands, I'll take it.

That's true . . .  If Wheaton is starting opposite of Brown.  Not good enough as a #2 but as long as balls keep bouncing off of him and into Rogers' hands, I'll take it.
That endzone one was deflected by a defender like 3-yards in front of him and was a lazer throw. Not sweating that one.

Deangelo is 33 years old and had 32 combined touches. Are they trying to run him into the ground the first 4 weeks of the season?
Why not?  If all goes as planned, he'll have at least a few weeks of light activity to recover once Bell comes back.

And you never know if the next week(s) will need to rely on him as much.  We had 6+ minutes of TOP advantage and a lead to use.
Agree.  What we had tonight was perfect for using Fitzy.  He can take carries and the stacked box, up the middle, grind the clock beating that shouldn't be put on DWill's old bones.  Keep Father Time as fresh as possible.  It's not like Bell has proven to be the most durable back.

And, I was just ribbing Coates tongue-in-cheek.  I've been one of his bigger supporters and still believe in him as a similar weapon to Bryant -- a little better in some ways, a little worse in others.  I did see the tip on the first replay of the broadcast.  Cool, memorable moment for Rogers.

It was so nice to get that win last night because these first 8 weeks look to be a brutal schedule.  Thankfully we get KC, NYJ and NE at home.  I had yesterday pegged as a loss so I was very impressed to see how fluid the offense looked.  This team doesn't even miss a beat on the road against a tough team with all of the injuries/suspensions.  

we had a real good chance last year. I'm still convinced if Brown didn't get Burficted we beat Denver :kicksrock:

we had a real good chance last year. I'm still convinced if Brown didn't get Burficted we beat Denver :kicksrock:
Me too.  This window is open until Ben is no longer Ben.

Maybe next year, we'll finally get to see Roethlisberger, Brown, Bell, Bryant, and Green all out there at once.  That would be almost impossible to stop, too bad we may never see it happen.

Me too.  This window is open until Ben is no longer Ben.

Maybe next year, we'll finally get to see Roethlisberger, Brown, Bell, Bryant, and Green all out there at once.  That would be almost impossible to stop, too bad we may never see it happen.
I'd be ok if we even had Ben, Brown, Bell and Green out there together.  Heck they looked pretty unstoppable last night even without half of those guys but eventually they'll need as much depth as possible to account for injuries.  Deangelo is such a stud that I barely even miss Bell.  However, we can't be missing Bell, Deangelo and Brown all at the same time (like we were against Denver).  

Very happen to see that defensive performance.  Now I am curious to see how improved the unit may be or if it's a case of NFL defensive coordinators having an offseason to study tape on Cousins (and the Redskins having no running game).  Guessing it's a little bit of both.  I am curiously optimistic about the defense.

Very happen to see that defensive performance.  Now I am curious to see how improved the unit may be or if it's a case of NFL defensive coordinators having an offseason to study tape on Cousins (and the Redskins having no running game).  Guessing it's a little bit of both.  I am curiously optimistic about the defense.
This was discussed in the game thread last night but Shazier needs to stay healthy.  He is such a beast.  

belljr said:
Or if Ben could have thrown further than 25 yards (also Burficted).  Or had Bell (also Burficted).  I despise targeting, dirty play and bounties, but I'll make an exception for that thug to get his. 

DWilliams didn't practice today.  Assuming it's just a veteran's rest day, but are there any reports/coaches comments that can (hopefully) confirm this?

Why not?  If all goes as planned, he'll have at least a few weeks of light activity to recover once Bell comes back.
DeAngelo is not a typical 33 year old rb. He is an athletic top performer with still relatively low miles relative to years of experience. 

And why I keep calling Coates a replacement for Bryant.  A big-play, size / speed guy.  Coates doesn't catch as well, but Bryant runs lazy / bad routes that lead to INTs.  Not apples to apples, but we could do a lot worse with our #3 or 4 WR.

And why I keep calling Coates a replacement for Bryant.  A big-play, size / speed guy.  Coates doesn't catch as well, but Bryant runs lazy / bad routes that lead to INTs.  Not apples to apples, but we could do a lot worse with our #3 or 4 WR.
Coates is a weapon as long as he holds on to the football. He's doing that today and if he keeps doing so, he's going to be an impact player all year. 

Feels good to be 2-0 and relatively healthy. Man if the Browns hadn't folded yesterday it would be even nicer.

Notice how civil the game was yesterday? One guy missing from the game really seemed to make a difference.

Between Jesse James and Grimble it might be :yawn: on Ladarius Green after all.

The Steelers are #1 in the NFL's power rankings for whatever that's worth.

It's also noteworthy how drastically improved the kicking game (including punting) is over last year. And the relatively low number of penalties.

Fire Tomlin!
Both the punting and place kicking has improved dramatically over a few years ago.

If this team beats an upstart Philly team on the road convincingly, I'll be very excited for the outlook of this season.  This feels like a bit of a trap game.  

Amazing how we see this couple times a year from this team, woefully unprepared or disinterested. They should just leave Wheaton on bench rest of the year. Villanueva is straight up terrible

They are in for long year inf they continue to let qbs stand in pocket, have a nice lunch then throw. NO pressure in the least in any game this year, none zero nada

This was the bottom point of the year.  Good thing it's only week 3.  Still not all that worried.   :shrug: .   If they look this bad next week, then I'll be worried.

They got destroyed in Philly in 2008 (although the score was only 15-6) and went on to win the Super Bowl.  I know this stat is about as meaningful as the one showing the Steelers haven't won in Philly in 65 years (or however many years its been).  Just pointing out it's early in the season and there is still time for them to get better as the season progresses.

They got destroyed in Philly in 2008 (although the score was only 15-6) and went on to win the Super Bowl.  I know this stat is about as meaningful as the one showing the Steelers haven't won in Philly in 65 years (or however many years its been).  Just pointing out it's early in the season and there is still time for them to get better as the season progresses.
Exactly.  This was a tough loss but not crippling by any means.  If they played Philly again tomorrow, I'm pretty confident it would be a close game.  #### like this happens in the NFL all the time.  The real question is how they rebound at home against the Chiefs next week.  I personally think they'll be fine.  

Exactly.  This was a tough loss but not crippling by any means.  If they played Philly again tomorrow, I'm pretty confident it would be a close game.  #### like this happens in the NFL all the time.  The real question is how they rebound at home against the Chiefs next week.  I personally think they'll be fine.  
While I agree it is early and way too soon to push the panic button this game was very disturbing for a number of reasons.   We knew the secondary was going to have problems but the lack of pressure from the front 7 is alarming.  The lack of sacks (only 1 in 3 games) doesn't always tell the whole story, but they can and do make a difference in field position and putting teams in 2nd & 3rd and long situations.  At least in the first two games they were able to muster a bit of a rush but yesterday Wentz had all day to go through all of his progressions and then some.  What little pressure they did get came from James Harrison and Anthony Chickillo but by then it was too little too late.   

The Steelers didn't blitz much yesterday to drop more in coverage but when the 4 you are rushing aren't getting close to the quarterback I think you have to bring more heat.  I expected the Steelers to bring all kinds of blitz packages to confuse the rookie but they didn't seem to try.  As usual the defensive backs were giving 10 yard cushions so there was never a threat of a safety or cornerback blitz.  It was disappointing that apparently no adjustments were made at halftime because the game was still close at that point.  

On offense the much heralded offensive line got their clocks cleaned.  There wasn't much of a push from this group and zero holes for Deangelo.  Ben was sacked four times but under duress for much of the game.   Quite simply they have got to be better than this.  

Aside from the first series Ben just looked a little off and missed several wide open targets although to be fair he was also the victim of some drops.  Markus Wheaton was back after sitting out the first two games with a shoulder injury but I think they may need to examine his hands cause they looked defective all game.  His drop of a sure TD on the opening series set the tone for what became the worst loss of the Tomlin era.  

As Bill Cowher would say "you can't get too high with the highs and too low with the lows" and I expect a much better game from the offense, especially with Bell coming back.   I'm not so sure about the defense though -- they were really banged up yesterday, especially at linebacker.

Godsbrother said:
While I agree it is early and way too soon to push the panic button this game was very disturbing for a number of reasons.   We knew the secondary was going to have problems but the lack of pressure from the front 7 is alarming.  The lack of sacks (only 1 in 3 games) doesn't always tell the whole story, but they can and do make a difference in field position and putting teams in 2nd & 3rd and long situations.  At least in the first two games they were able to muster a bit of a rush but yesterday Wentz had all day to go through all of his progressions and then some.  What little pressure they did get came from James Harrison and Anthony Chickillo but by then it was too little too late.   

The Steelers didn't blitz much yesterday to drop more in coverage but when the 4 you are rushing aren't getting close to the quarterback I think you have to bring more heat.  I expected the Steelers to bring all kinds of blitz packages to confuse the rookie but they didn't seem to try.  As usual the defensive backs were giving 10 yard cushions so there was never a threat of a safety or cornerback blitz.  It was disappointing that apparently no adjustments were made at halftime because the game was still close at that point.  

On offense the much heralded offensive line got their clocks cleaned.  There wasn't much of a push from this group and zero holes for Deangelo.  Ben was sacked four times but under duress for much of the game.   Quite simply they have got to be better than this.  

Aside from the first series Ben just looked a little off and missed several wide open targets although to be fair he was also the victim of some drops.  Markus Wheaton was back after sitting out the first two games with a shoulder injury but I think they may need to examine his hands cause they looked defective all game.  His drop of a sure TD on the opening series set the tone for what became the worst loss of the Tomlin era.  

As Bill Cowher would say "you can't get too high with the highs and too low with the lows" and I expect a much better game from the offense, especially with Bell coming back.   I'm not so sure about the defense though -- they were really banged up yesterday, especially at linebacker.
So then let's see how they adjust after one fifth of the season.  We have a minimum of one to two clunkers every year.  The defense is an issue and the injuries won't help but this team's strength was always going to be the offense.  They'll be fine

There is nothing "fine" about getting beefcaked in the trenches on both sides of the ball, especially when you have an O-line like Pitt.  Missing Dupree is hurting the pass rush, but DAMN!  Timmons will not be back, and it won't hurt.  He was out of position and overrunning plays all day.  Shazier is awesome, but not yesterday and he can't be awesome when not on the field.

Rant over, a passing game is finesse and like most of us can relate to our golf game, it's not always working.  We have one of the most dominant passing games in the league but when it doesn't click, we have nothing to fall back on.  No D.  Not a dominant, mauling O-line and running game.  We have to have our passing game be at least average (for us) to keep things working.  I hope having Bell back helps to keep the run game on track and supplement the pass game, but the D is a concern.  The biggest concern is, I can't tell who is not pulling their weight.

Yeah, what's most disturbing is them losing the battle at the line of scrimmage.  If they want to be truly elite, that can't happen.

This week's early injury report is concerning:

The following players were listed as "very questionable":

Ryan Shazier (Knee)
Ramon Foster (Chest)
Eli Rogers (Turf Toe)
Robert Golden (Hamstring)

There were other injuries of note, but Tomlin labeled them as being "day-to-day":

Lawrence Timmons (puncture wound to leg)
Sean Davis (Back)
Roosevelt Nix (Back)
Cody Wallace (Knee)

Next man up.  This team has had a lot of injuries the past few years.  Lets see what type of gameplan the coaching staff devises for a primetime home game.  BB devised a gameplan with a 3rd string QB that resulted in a 27-0 win against one of the supposedly better AFC teams.  

Users who are viewing this thread