Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Evilgrin 72

Official 2016 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread

10 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

Well then no need to play the game.

Because that's what I said, right? 

Let's not act like the Steelers winning tonight would be anything close to as impressive as the Patriots beating the Texans last week. 

37 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

Let's not act like the Steelers winning tonight would be anything close to as impressive as the Patriots beating the Texans last week. 

There are no style points in the NFL.  The Patriots 18-0 season was very impressive but didn't mean a darn thing in the Super Bowl.

If the Steelers win tonight I'll be happy.  Ill leave it to you to gauge how impressed you are.

3 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

There are no style points in the NFL.  The Patriots 18-0 season was very impressive but didn't mean a darn thing in the Super Bowl.

If the Steelers win tonight I'll be happy.  Ill leave it to you to gauge how impressed you are.

Is that you, Ed Bouchette?

1 hour ago, Ghost Rider said:

Not sure if you're just in here to troll Steelers fans.  I was not comparing Tomlin to BB.  In fact, your post that I'm quoting was sort of my point.  There seems to be a prevailing feeling of doom in here after a very ugly loss.  I was simply saying we should see how the team bounces back before burying them.  I brought up BB because there is an example of a team that is in a worse position than the Steelers and look what they did.  Tomlin isn't BB but he's still a good coach and the Steelers are not going with a 3rd string QB.  

• Like 3

3-1 now with an impressive win.  I have to think that last week was just one of those "wrong time at the wrong place" type of deals.  I love Deangelo but Bell just adds a whole new dimension to this potent offense.  

14 hours ago, pghrob said:

Is that you, Ed Bouchette?

Ha ha no but it is true.  Perhaps this win was not impressive for the Ghost Rider but ill take it

• Like 1

The offense did what I expected them to do.  What I was really impressed with was the D last night.  Heyward and Tuitt are beasts, which we knew, but without Shazier, I was a little concerned about the defense.  Timmons played like he was 7 years younger.  Jones had a nice game and the rookie corners, Burns and Dangerfield played very respectably.  

• Like 1

Yeah there was a lot of criticism of the Burns selection (rightfully so).  In his limited time last night, he looked decent.  It seemed like he also brought some energy.  No clue what Steelers team we're going to see next week but it should be a win.  

Edited by fred_1_15301

4 hours ago, Idiot Boxer said:

The offense did what I expected them to do.  What I was really impressed with was the D last night.  Heyward and Tuitt are beasts, which we knew, but without Shazier, I was a little concerned about the defense.  Timmons played like he was 7 years younger.  Jones had a nice game and the rookie corners, Burns and Dangerfield played very respectably.  

I thought Williams played an especially good game: 16 tackles, 14 solo, a sack.     He was a beast

5 minutes ago, Godsbrother said:

I thought Williams played an especially good game: 16 tackles, 14 solo, a sack.     He was a beast

Yeah.  He had a great game.  Meant to mention him. 

On October 2, 2016 at 8:40 AM, Godsbrother said:

I was very impressed.  Their offense is scary good when the passing game and running game are both clicking. 

On October 2, 2016 at 9:16 AM, fred_1_15301 said:

Not sure if you're just in here to troll Steelers fans.  I was not comparing Tomlin to BB.  In fact, your post that I'm quoting was sort of my point.  There seems to be a prevailing feeling of doom in here after a very ugly loss.  I was simply saying we should see how the team bounces back before burying them.  I brought up BB because there is an example of a team that is in a worse position than the Steelers and look what they did.  Tomlin isn't BB but he's still a good coach and the Steelers are not going with a 3rd string QB.  

Just having a little fun.  No offense intended. :thumbup::thumbup:

I figured they'd bounce back last night.  Seems like they have a few games every year where they lay an egg, and then always rebound very nicely the next week.  They appear to be the clear number 3 in the AFC right now behind the Broncos and Patriots. 

• Like 1

On October 2, 2016 at 8:40 AM, Godsbrother said:

I was very impressed.  Their offense is scary good when the passing game and running game are both clicking. 

On October 2, 2016 at 9:16 AM, fred_1_15301 said:

I figured they'd bounce back last night.  Seems like they have a few games every year where they lay an egg, and then always rebound very nicely the next week.  They appear to be the clear number 3 in the AFC right now behind the Broncos and Patriots. 

8 minutes ago, Ghost Rider said:

The difference between those 3 teams are their defenses.  The Steelers clearly have the best O, and they clearly have the worst D.

They have the best O when it is clicking, yes, but I cannot imagine the Broncos ever being held to 3 points.  I am not saying the Broncos have a better offense, but they are more consistent.  Steelers D is the weakest of the three, but does seem improved. 

That Steelers/Patriots game later this month should be good. 

39 minutes ago, Bayhawks said:

The difference between those 3 teams are their defenses.  The Steelers clearly have the best O, and they clearly have the worst D.

The biggest problem is that the Steelers big 3 on offense are never healthy at the same time come playoff time.  They need to be more consistent on defense.  Can't have games like they did against the Eagles.  I'm still just cautiously optimistic about this season.  

With Vince Williams playing like he did last night, I still wish they would be more creative with Shazier. He's consistently hurt playing inside because he's just not big enough. He's a great player, they need someone to constantly pressure the QB. I think Dupree can be that guy but he isn't healthy, until that time I hope they come up with something.

Edited by Bojang0301

Here you go -

From SteelersWire -'

"

With little option but to add two new players to the active roster, the Steelers opted to place cornerback Senquez Golson and offensive tackle Ryan Harris on the team’s Reserve/Injured List.

Taking their spots will be offensive lineman Matt Feiler and cornerback Al-Hajj Shabazz, swapping position for position with two healthy bodies. Both Feiler and Shabazz have spent the year on the Steelers’ practice squad so far and this will be the first time either has been active on gameday for an NFL team.

Feiler originally was signed to the practice squad in September 2015 after being released by the Houston Texans. He spent the entire 2014 season on the Texans’ practice squad. Shabazz was added as futures signing in February this year. Previously he was an undrafted free agent signing with the Indianapolis Colts in 2015."

Edited by moondog

13 minutes ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

11 targets for Sammie today?  WTF happened there?  Didn't get to watch live.  

I was going against him.  That's what happened.  But I'll take it as the Steelers are now 4-1 and looking pretty dominant.  Only loss against an NFC team.  

15 minutes ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

11 targets for Sammie today?  WTF happened there?  Didn't get to watch live.  

No Eli.  Wheaton has sucked.  Lots of attention given to Brown.  It was shotgun for almost the entire 2nd half, and if it wasn't a short out to Bell, it was a medium to long sideline shot to Coates.

1 minute ago, Cookiemonster said:

No Eli.  Wheaton has sucked.  Lots of attention given to Brown.  It was shotgun for almost the entire 2nd half, and if it wasn't a short out to Bell, it was a medium to long sideline shot to Coates.

He needs to stop dropping passes though.  He had a great fantasy week but not so much in real life.  Terrible drops that fortunateldidnt cost the team.  Damn how good is Ben.

• Like 2

Just now, fred_1_15301 said:

He needs to stop dropping passes though.  He had a great fantasy week but not so much in real life.  Terrible drops that fortunateldidnt cost the team.  Damn how good is Ben.

Not to be an apologist, he was bad today, but I think the cut left hand really bothered him.

47 minutes ago, 5-ish Finkle said:

Catching 2 TDs on a bad day with a cut hand?  I'll take that 100 times out of 100, for "real" or "fantasy" football.

OK, I should have said a good day with a couple bad drops and a couple more he could have caught.  Yes, I'll take him.  I'm personally not missing Bryant as much as others.

A few things...

Looks like we have our replacement for Timmons next year in Vince Williams. What a great move extending him!

They really need to get a good backup QB and soon. The only thing derailing this offense is if :tebow: Ben  goes down. I don't know how or where they will find one, but they better find one quick

I know they normally don't negotiate during the season but they need to get Bell locked up. I feel like his problems are behind him, from what I see looks like he has learned his lesson

Great win! Even better with the rest of the North losing :banned:

Edited by JoeSteeler
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

A few things...

Looks like we have our replacement for Timmons next year in Vince Williams. What a great move extending him!

They really need to get a good backup QB and soon. The only thing derailing this offense is if :tebow: Ben  goes down. I don't know how or where they will find one, but they better find one quick

I know they normally don't negotiate during the season but they need to get Bell locked up. I feel like his problems are behind him, from what I see looks like he has learned his lesson

Great win! Even better with the rest of the North losing :banned:

Agree on the extension of Williams -- he has been playing great.

There aren't a whole lot of good backup QBs out there and they aren't going to find one this year.  I think the hope is that Zach Mettenberger develops into one next season.

They're not going to make any exceptions for Bell.   I think they'll try to extend him in the offseason but if not they'll be happy enough to slap the franchise tag on him.   

Yes it was a great to see the Bengals and Ravens lose.   

The injuries are becoming a real concern though.  Cam Heyward going down was a big loss -- hopefully the hammy will be okay next week.   I did think the offensive line did a great job protecting Ben yesterday considering their injuries and playing against what is supposed to be a pretty good front 7.

Gotta get the ball to AB a couple more times to keep him happy.  I love that we have AB, Bell, Coates, and Jesse all stepping up (drops notwithstanding).  Xavier making plays and even Markus making a few clutch catches.

Big Ben really makes this offense roll. He is the difference maker.  The partnership that he and Haley have developed is nice to see.  I was really skeptical when the front office showed Arians the door and worried that Roethlisberger would sulk the loss of his close mentor. Boy, what a blessing in disguise.  Ben and Haley must have gone about their work as true professionals as they are really performing at a high level on offense.   

I like the leadership and team first behavior that Roethlisberger exhibits. He stresses the importance of the offensive line and he deftly manages the lime light attention that Antonio Brown draws which has the potential to be a distraction. 

That noted, Roethlisberger toes the line himself with respect to distractions, i.e. the comments about hard hitting practices and injuries, though even that can be perceived by teammates as him exhibiting leadership with head coach in terms of feedback. 

All in all, it's a pleasure to watch a great QB in his prime on the team I was raised to root for since I was born. My earliest memories of the Steelers goes back to when I was a 5 year old boy in 1977 on Christmas Eve when they lost to the Broncos.  The excitement of Christmas and my dad and grandfather and uncles and Steelers football...I just remember the high and low and high again.  

Anyway....my point is that with almost 40 years of watching the Steelers offense, I am seeing what to me is the best offensive cohesion and performance dating back to the Bradshaw led teams of the late 70's.

The rules have changed and we see more yards and passing and scoring, but the team chemistry on offense is as good as it ever was.

Today is an extremely important game against the Dolphins.   These are the kind of the games that Steelers are a complete favorite in and get embarrassed at the end of the day.  They need to start winning these games and stop making it difficult for them at the end of the season

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Today is an extremely important game against the Dolphins.   These are the kind of the games that Steelers are a complete favorite in and get embarrassed at the end of the day.  They need to start winning these games and stop making it difficult for them at the end of the season

110% agree. 

• Like 1

Pretty sure that the definition of "trap game" in the dictionary makes a reference to the Steelers playing opponents they're supposed to beat.

The old Steelers would lose this game. I hope they don't have that same tendency.  

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Yup and I'm more than just a little worried.  

5 hours ago, fred_1_15301 said:

Yup and I'm more than just a little worried.  

Here we go again. The Fins are playing very inspired and so far the Steelers are not. 

1 hour ago, pghrob said:

Here we go again. The Fins are playing very inspired and so far the Steelers are not. 

This is textbook Pittsburgh.  Including finding a way to get #7 hurt just enough and fall behind to make him go in to his "Try and throw 21 point TDs every drop back." gimmick.

He probably has another INT in him in the last 5 minutes here.  He's clearly not right after hurting the leg.

Edited by 5-ish Finkle
  • Like 1

Said it once say it many many times, nobody plays to the level of their competition than a Mike Tomlin coached team.  And then people can't figure out why the season or divisional bye is always down to the last week

And I fully expect them to play great against the Patriots next week and make it tough for them.  That is of course if Ben is playing.  If not then you can kiss this season goodbye

I know Ben is awesome and the Steelers cant win a superbowl without him, but why didnt the Steelers try to establish the running game immediately against a bad run D?  Use Bell and DWill early to setup play action and all that... control time of possession in the heat so your D isnt gassed by the end of the game.  They just get too cute at times.

• Like 3

One of the softest teams in the league. You don't see this many injuries on any other team. Starting with shazier the porcelain doll, can't rely on pu@@us like that. Mitchell is a mental midget & needs to go, absolute buffoon

One of the softest teams in the league. You don't see this many injuries on any other team. Starting with shazier the porcelain doll, can't rely on pu@@us like that. Mitchell is a mental midget & needs to go, absolute buffoon

13 hours ago, Steeler said:

I know Ben is awesome and the Steelers cant win a superbowl without him, but why didnt the Steelers try to establish the running game immediately against a bad run D?  Use Bell and DWill early to setup play action and all that... control time of possession in the heat so your D isnt gassed by the end of the game.  They just get too cute at times.

I had a few beers yesterday so my memory may be wrong but it seemed to me they did come out trying to run but weren't getting anywhere.   As great as the offensive line played last week they were pitiful yesterday.   The Dolphins were really fired up and the o-line was bullied like little nerdy kids in the playground. 

The Steelers should have beaten this team silly.  Instead they were beaten physically on both sides of the ball.  With so many injuries and so little toughness I don't see how they'll be able to hang with the Patriots next week.

2 hours ago, Godsbrother said:

I had a few beers yesterday so my memory may be wrong but it seemed to me they did come out trying to run but weren't getting anywhere.

I don't know.  Bell and Dwill combined for only 13 rushes in the entire game and Bell had 5.3 ypc.  I guess it doesnt matter too much either way, they sucked yesterday and put on another terrible road performance against an inferior opponent.  I really thought they had turned the corner and chalked up the PHI game to "it happens".  Unfortunately, it happens to this team way too frequently :X <-- no, thats not Timmons

I'm beginning to think the defensive players aren't to blame, and that the coaching is.  Not sure if it's the defensive coaches as a whole, or individual ones.  The Steelers have some good players on defense, and I believe their being exposed has nothing to do with their talents, but the blame lies on the coaching instead.

I'm glad I'm traveling next Sunday and will likely have to miss the game.  It's going to be ugly.  

• Like 1