What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Egyptian history geeks check in: Cosmic rays reveal a hidden corridor in the Great Pyramid of Giza (1 Viewer)

Nathan R. Jessep

Footballguy
saw a post buried in another thread about it, but thought I would start a dedicated thread...

Egyptian officials now say they are "90% sure" that there is a hidden chamber in King Tutankhamun's tomb.

Archaeologist Nicholas Reeves believes Tutankhamun's remains may have been rushed into an outer chamber of what was originally Queen Nefertiti's tomb.
"The radar, behind the north wall [of Tutankhamun's burial chamber] seems pretty clear. If I am right it is a continuation - corridor continuation - of the tomb, which will end in another burial chamber," he said.
The archaeologist from the University of Arizona says he believes Nefertiti may lie inside.
I'm kind of geeking out over this again. I had heard it back in August, but looks like they've done more scans and are more sure about the findings now. I hope they find Nefertiti.

Other links from the thread:

scans reveal temperature anomolies in stones of the pyramids

"new" pyramids discovered in 2012 now all but confirmed by newly acquired ancient maps

Tut's mask originally made for Nefertiti?

the rise and fall of Zahi Hawass

hidden King Tut rooms may contain gold, other remains

mummy of Egyptian noblewoman found

King Tut's dagger may have come from outer space

remains of new pyramid found

Newly unearthed ancient tomb with mummies unveiled in Egypt

new sarcophagus found

mmm, sarcophagus juice

Great Pyramid ramp system found

New clues to the lost tomb of Alexander the Great found in Alexandria

2500 year old sarcophagus opened on live Tv

Cache of 20+ sealed coffins found in Luxor

"Lost Golden City of Luxor" found

Two Sphinxes Depicting King Tut’s Grandfather Discovered in Egypt

Government Scientists to Scan Great Pyramid With Cosmic Rays to Find Secrets

Virtual Tour of the Great Pyramid

Hundreds of mummies and pyramid of an unknown queen unearthed near King Tut's tomb

Cosmic rays reveal a hidden corridor in the Great Pyramid of Giza

Last edited:
I think aside from the treasure one thing of historical importance which could emerge is evidence of the rise of the first major monotheistic religion. It might have been Tut's father or grandfather iirc who elevated the sun god to the status of highest singular order and identified it with himself as ruler and the state. One theory is that Tut was murdered in a sort if coup by those opposed to this regime.

Whats taking them so ####### long to just knock the wall down already? I've been hearing about this for months. This is the equivalent of Christmas morning when you're staring at the presents but your mom says you have to wait for dad to wake up.
There are paintings on the wall, IIRC.

I think aside from the treasure one thing of historical importance which could emerge is evidence of the rise of the first major monotheistic religion. It might have been Tut's father or grandfather iirc who elevated the sun god to the status of highest singular order and identified it with himself as ruler and the state. One theory is that Tut was murdered in a sort if coup by those opposed to this regime.
When his father Akhenaten died, Tutankhaten changed his name to Tutenkhamun in rejection of his father's monotheistic beliefs. The sun god as the sole god died with Akhenaten. Tut sought to restore things back to the old ways.

When his father Akhenaten died, Tutankhaten changed his name to Tutenkhamun in rejection of his father's monotheistic beliefs. The sun god as the sole god died with Akhenaten. Tut sought to restore things back to the old ways.
And yet he was possibly murdered?

How did his mother Nefertiti possibly fit into this? Would she have been pro-monotheism, or anti?

I don't know, just speculating and spitballing here but it would be pretty cool if some of this early religious or palace intrigue was unveiled...

Last edited by a moderator:

How did his mother Nefertiti possibly fit into this? Would she have been pro-monotheism, or anti?

I don't know, just speculating and spitballing here but it would be pretty cool if some of this early religious or palace intrigue was unveiled...
I think the most common current theory is that Tut was thrown from his chariot during a battle. Nefertiti ruled as almost a coregent with Akhenaten, believing in his monotheistic views, but most think she died before Akhenaten. Hopefully, if it is her tomb, there will be a lot more questioned answered.

Whats taking them so ####### long to just knock the wall down already? I've been hearing about this for months. This is the equivalent of Christmas morning when you're staring at the presents but your mom says you have to wait for dad to wake up.
+1.

Of course, if it's like Xmas morning to us, then it's the mother of all Xmas presents past present and future to Egyptologists. Sooner or later they're going to open this up.

"new" pyramids discovered in 2012 now all but confirmed by newly acquired ancient maps

“It has emerged these formations are labeled as pyramids on several old and rare maps,” Micol told Discovery News.

According to Micol, the site where the monuments were found includes a 620 ft-wide triangular plateau which is believed to be nearly three times the size of the best-known Ancient Egyptian Pyramid.
wow!

first comment on the article is pretty interesting too if there's anything to it, other than the guy peddling his free book

Nathan R. Jessep said:

“It has emerged these formations are labeled as pyramids on several old and rare maps,” Micol told Discovery News.

According to Micol, the site where the monuments were found includes a 620 ft-wide triangular plateau which is believed to be nearly three times the size of the best-known Ancient Egyptian Pyramid.
wow!

first comment on the article is pretty interesting too if there's anything to it, other than the guy peddling his free book
I just watched a move that started like this. And let me tell you, it did not end well.

Nathan R. Jessep said:

wow!

I just watched a move that started like this. And let me tell you, it did not end well.
exactly how The Pyramid starts.

Nathan R. Jessep said:

wow!

And it did not end well.

Nathan R. Jessep said:

wow!

And it did not end well.
Depends on your point of view.

She was a supporter of monotheism, but when she died the generals wanted it back the old way. Tut was weak so they controlled him and made him change it back to polytheism. They likely stripped he of her queen status after she died and used the mask for him.

Between Hawass being out of the way, and the latest laser technology these are exciting times in ancient Egyptian archaeology.

Nathan R. Jessep said:

It has emerged these formations are labeled as pyramids on several old and rare maps, Micol told Discovery News.

wow!

Was Nicholas Cage in it? If he was, I'll watch it and believe whatever he wants me to.

Drones are really gonna make lidar cheap in the coming years. They will be able to scan large areas cheaper and faster than ever. There has to be tons of stuff covered by sand / vegetation that we don't even know about.

Here is the article I read on this,

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/tutankhamun-great-golden-face-mask-was-actually-made-for-his-mother-nefertiti-research-reveals-a6753156.html

NewsUKHome News

Tutankhamun: Great golden face mask was actually made for his mother Nefertiti, research reveals

A leading Egyptologist believes the gold mask of Tutankhamun was made for his mother, Nefertiti

David Keys @davidmkeys

Hieroglyphics on the mask appear to have been inscribed on top of earlier writing Getty

Ancient Egypts most iconic treasure - the great golden face mask of the pharaoh Tutankhamun - was a second-hand family hand-me-down.

New research by the British Egyptologist, Nicholas Reeves, has revealed that it was originally made for a female pharaoh, probably the famously beautiful ancient Egyptian queen, normally known to the public today as Nefertiti.

The discovery sheds fascinating additional light on some of ancient Egypts most important but least well understood historical events a religious revolution and counter-revolution which convulsed much of Egyptian society some 3350 years ago.

The episode has broad historical importance because it was arguably the very first attempt anywhere in the world to establish a monotheistic religious system. After just a few years, it failed but perhaps significantly the Jewish Egyptian-associated prophet Moses and the Exodus are traditionally dated to a broadly similar era.

Nefertiti (translated as the Beautiful Woman Has Arrived) the newly-revealed probably original owner of King Tutankhamuns famous golden death mask was the wife of the monotheistic revolutions leader, the Egyptian pharaoh Akhenaten (the Incarnation of the Disk of the Sun). But she was also probably the co-architect of that short-lived ancient religious reformation the top-down imposition of the worship of the disk (or Aten) of the sun, probably symbolising the essence, energy and power of the Sun God.

Reeves.jpg

British Egyptologist Nicholas Reeves

The evidence that Dr Reeves​ has found,​ suggesting​ that ​Tutankhamun's large​, elaborate gold death mask​ was (apart from its personalized​ facial features) made for his mother​ (or possibly step-mother), Nefertiti, has come from a detailed re-examination of an inscription on the artefact assigning it to Tutankhamun. Very careful examination of the hieroglyphic text shows that the kings names were actually inscribed over an earlier individuals names which appear to have given the full official nomenclature used by Nefertiti after she had become co-pharaoh of Egypt namely Ankhkheperure-Meryt-Neferkheperure Neferneferuaten (literally meaning Living Manifestation of the Sun God, Beloved of Akhenaten, Beauty of Beauties of the Disk of the Sun).

Interestingly, the second-hand gold mask completes a wider picture in which many of the major other treasures in Tutankhamuns tomb (including his middle coffin, miniature gold coffins for his internal organs, a gold breast ornament, some of the gold bands which adorned Tuts mummified body and a gilded statuette) had all been made initially for other ancient Egyptian royals.

Thanks to Dr. Reeves research, Tutankhamuns golden death mask has become part and parcel of one of Egypts greatest unsolved mysteries where was Queen Nefertiti buried?

Despite more than a century of searching, her tomb has never been found.

However, earlier this year, Dr. Reeves threw the Egyptological world into some excitement by suggesting that there might be as yet undiscovered secret chambers within Tutankhamuns tomb complex. He even raised the possibility that one could be Nefertitis lost tomb.

Three days ago, the Egyptian government therefore started carrying out a detailed geo-physical survey of the wall of Tutankhamun tomb and have so far found several anomalies​ which they suspect may represent a hidden chamber.​

Nefertiti.jpg

A bust of Queen Nefertiti, pictured at the Neues Museum (New Museum) in Berlin

​M​any Egyptologists suspect that Nefertitis lost tomb may be lurking under a mountain immediately opposite Tutankhamuns tomb​ - ​​so the newly detected probable additional chamber in Tutankhamun's tomb complex could well contain previously unsuspected additional King Tut treasures​. But Dr. Reeves discovery of the hidden inscription on Tutkhamuns golden mask itself is raising other questions.

Why was Nefertiti robbed of her mask and, when and why was it given to her son, Tutankhamun. The answer probably lies in the difficult political situation that occurred during the collapse of the monotheistic experiment.

A decade after Akhenaten and Nefertiti had launched their religious revolution, some evidence suggests that Egypt may have been hit by a terrible epidemic. Desperate to ensure the continuation of his new monotheistic religion, and perhaps fearful of death, Akhenaten decided to appoint his queen, Nefertiti, as co-ruler. He did so just in the nick of time for within a few months he did indeed die. His young eight year old son, Tutankhamun (at that stage called Tutankhaten), became pharaoh and Nefertiti (now only using her new longer pharaonic name) continued as co-ruler with him, says a leading historian of the period, Dr Aidan Dodson of the University of Bristol, author of two major books on the era Amarna Sunrise and Amarna Sunset.

For three years Nefertiti seems to have tried to find a middle way between the old polytheistic system and the new monotheistic one. But then she too died. Nefertiti had made elaborate preparations for her own death and had expected to be buried as a full pharaoh of Egypt (complete with her pharaonic gold death mask).

But, after her death, two religiously traditional generals effectively seized power, using Nefertitis son Tutankhamun as a puppet pharaoh. They appear to have been determined to abandon Nefertitis policy of religious compromise and to return to full traditional polytheism.

READ MORE

Officials '90% sure' there's a secret chamber in King Tut's tomb

New evidence suggests King Tuts gold mask was for Queen Nefertiti

Prehistoric Britons mummified their dead, research reveals

Dr. Reeves discovery, that Tutankhamun golden death mask had originally been made for Nefertiti, is powerful additional evidence suggesting that after her death she was deliberately politically downgraded.

This discovery re-enforces the view that, after her death, she was deprived of her status as a pharaoh and presumably buried merely as a queen, said Dr Dodson.

The new evidence suggests that her death mask was therefore never used in her funeral or in her tomb but was instead put in storage and eventually recycled for Tutankhamun.

King Tuts golden mask currently thought of as a mainly art-historical object is now therefore likely to also become a symbol of the worlds first known major ideological struggle between monotheism and polytheism.

very cool info, thanks Q!

I didn't realize until recently that Hawass was no longer the man. What happened to him?

Great article. I saw King Tut's mask and treasures years ago as a child, I've never forgotten it several years old mystery still being unraveled. Incredib what the Egyptian culture has given to the world.

+1. Of course, if it's like Xmas morning to us, then it's the mother of all Xmas presents past present and future to Egyptologists. Sooner or later they're going to open this up.
MAYBE they'll open it. Hardly a guarantee. First, the excavation team has to get approval from a crap load of international and Egyptian institutions for the project. Even then it's not a guarantee. Centuries ago they found a bunch of large cavities underneath the Sphinx (some believe to be the long-fabled Hall of Records), but they've since been sealed over with cement during previous renovations and all subsequent excavation project requests have been denied.

i agree she is a crappy reader but that is some cool stuff and i salute her and will support her going forward take that to the bank bromigos 

Users who are viewing this thread