What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Egyptian history geeks check in: Cosmic rays reveal a hidden corridor in the Great Pyramid of Giza (1 Viewer)

There are reports out today about a radar study conducted that confirmed a chamber exist next to Tuts, and there is something in it.  They are going to have a special hosted by Geraldo Rivera, where they break into the mysterious chamber.

Has it been mentioned that there's a movie about someone discovering a new, buried pyramid and they went ahead and dug the door out and went in.  

It did not turn out well for anyone.   :no:

Last edited by a moderator:
giphy.gif

nothing earth-shattering but....

remains of new pyramid found

The remains of an Egyptian pyramid built around 3,700 years ago have been discovered near the well-known bent pyramid of King Snefru, the antiquities ministry announced Monday.

The pyramid from the 13th dynasty was found in Dahshur's royal necropolis, 30 kilometres (20 miles) south of Cairo, it said.

"An alabaster... block engraved with 10 vertical hieroglyphic lines" was among the finds, the ministry said, citing Adel Okasha, director general at the necropolis.

It said "granite lintel and stoney blocks showing the interior design of the pyramid" were also found.

Excavation is still in its early stages and the size of the pyramid has not yet been established. Blocks of stones and the beginning of a corridor which were discovered are shown in photos provided by the ministry.

"All the discovered parts of the pyramid are in very good condition and further excavation is to take place to reveal more parts," the ministry said.

Newly unearthed ancient tomb with mummies unveiled in Egypt

Luxor, Egypt (CNN)Egyptian authorities unveiled a previously undiscovered ancient tomb belonging to a goldsmith and his wife near Luxor in southern Egypt on Saturday.

The tomb, at the Draa Abul Nagaa necropolis, contains "mummies, sarcophagi, statuettes, pots and other artifacts," according to Egypt's Ministry of Antiquities.

It belonged to Amenemhat -- which means the god "Amen Is In the Forefront" -- and his wife Amenhotep, said Mostafa Al-Waziri, who led the Egyptian team which unearthed the 3,500-year-old tomb.

The tomb also holds clues to new tombs, in the form of funerary cones belonging to four officials whose burial spots have not yet been found.

The clue that led to the tomb unveiled Saturday was in fact uncovered in another 3,500-year-old tomb unearthed in April in the same area, he said.

From that link:

“The sarcophagus has been opened, but we have not been hit by a curse," said Waziri, dismissing claims made by some UK media outlets about "possible curse" could be cast on the world in case the tomb was opened.

https://www.livescience.com/63978-great-pyramid-ramp-discovered.html

Archaeologists have long wondered exactly how the ancient Egyptians constructed the world's biggest pyramid, the Great Pyramid. Now, they may have discovered the system used to haul massive stone blocks into place some 4,500 years ago.

They discovered the remains of this system at the site of Hatnub, an ancient quarry in the Eastern Desert of Egypt. The contraption would have been used to transport heavy alabaster stones up a steep ramp, according to the archaeologists working at the site

New clues to the lost tomb of Alexander the Great discovered in Egypt

“This is the first time the original foundations of Alexandria have been found,” says Fredrik Hiebert, archaeologist in residence at the National Geographic Society. “It gave me goosebumps to see it.”

And the site may yield one of archaeology’s biggest prizes—the lost tomb of Alexander the Great.
She's been working this site for 21 years, it says. Amazing that she stuck with it, but it paid off. I hope they find AtG's tomb. 

New clues to the lost tomb of Alexander the Great discovered in Egypt

“This is the first time the original foundations of Alexandria have been found,” says Fredrik Hiebert, archaeologist in residence at the National Geographic Society. “It gave me goosebumps to see it.”

And the site may yield one of archaeology’s biggest prizes—the lost tomb of Alexander the Great.
She's been working this site for 21 years, it says. Amazing that she stuck with it, but it paid off. I hope they find AtG's tomb. 
me too and i hope that when they open it up not only is alexander and a lot of the rich stuff in there but also a sasquatch and that it ends up he is cool as hell and parties with them take that to the bank brohans 

2500 year old sarcophagus opened on live TV

Sunday night’s episode of Discovery’s “Expedition Unknown: Egypt Live” a team of Egyptian archaeologists and explorers did something that has never been done by opening a 2,500-year-old Egyptian mummy’s sarcophagus on live television.

A total of three mummies were uncovered during the two-hour event, including two high-priests and a female mummy whose sarcophagus identified her as a singer in the temple of the Egyptian God Thoth.

Several other antiques were also uncovered, including a wax head cast from the visage of one of the high priests, an ancient Egyptian board game, the remains of a family dog, and jars used to store a mummy’s organs.
Hate I missed this live. :kicksrock:  I had intended to watch and then forgot on Sunday. 

brohan it was a sqatch sure as hell those guys are strong believe me on this one take that to the bank bromigo
WHOAH!

I'm enlightened ...

... how many sqatches to build the Great Pyramid? 

And Stoned-hinge - what ya got on that? I need more!
probably about 10 squatches for your average piramid and and stonehedge cripes thats like one jr high aged squatch on a good day take that to the bank bromigo

probably about 10 squatches for your average piramid and and stonehedge cripes thats like one jr high aged squatch on a good day take that to the bank bromigo
Alright.

Now we rollin'.

I need some squatches. Pronto.

You know many? What do they charge? The aliens ain't cheap.

I got a pretty big stonerhedge project, plus a pyramid may be doable now. Not a Great one - but ya know -  better than a dell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cache of 20+ coffins found in Luxor

Archaeologists have uncovered a "huge cache" of more than 20 sealed coffins in the city of Luxor, according to Egypt's Ministry of Antiquities.

The seemingly well-preserved sarcophagi were discovered "as the ancient Egyptians left them," said an official press statement highlighting their intact engravings and surviving coloration.

Officials are yet to disclose which period the coffins may date from, with further details expected to be announced at a press conference in Luxor on Saturday.
:popcorn:  

This is cool stuff, but why are we ok with grave-robbing and disturbing the dead? Digging up other people's ancestors in the name of archeology is all good?

This is cool stuff, but why are we ok with grave-robbing and disturbing the dead? Digging up other people's ancestors in the name of archeology is all good?
I remember seeing a post somewhere asking at what point does it stop being grave robbing and start being archaeology? I don't remember seeing anyone give a definite answer.

Users who are viewing this thread