What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016 MLB Season Over/Under Discussion (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
Pick three, explain why and look foolish at the end of the season.  I suggest you include the W number in your post since images will probably be long gone by October.

Ca9EeNZWcAAdYmi.png

interesting. haven't seen anyone picking the Rangers to win the AL West, but they have the highest o/u in that division.

1. Giants - 90 - under: love the Giants, but this just seems too high for betting purposes

2. Reds - 71 - under: they seem committed to tanking rebuilding

3. Cubs - 89 - over: Epstein/Maddon are the best managerial combo in sports. it all comes together this year

I like Tampa Bay over 78.  Best rotation in the division ought to be good enough to escape the cellar.

KC under 87.  Picked them under last year but I was off by a year.  Team appears weaker especially with their pitching staff and the division is stronger.

I think one of the Braves and Phillies will have to exceed their low expectations but I went back and forth and couldn't choose so I'll go with the White Sox over 80 1/2.   They had a good off-season for the short term and look ready to be competitive.  Maybe they're not a playoff team but they should be above .500.

In order

1. Giants O90- best team by a lot to me and they'll have the Dodgers and DBAX pushing them to need 90+ to win the west. Have been known to add pieces inseason if needed. Bottom of NL is awful and top teams might pile up wins 

2. Nats O87- Bottom of NL is awful and top teams might pile up wins. Mets won't let them coast, but I like Nats better.  Dusty knows how to win regular season games.  Harper is good.  Stras in walk year. Over

3. Mariners U83- Felix isn't what he used to be and I don't really get it with their lineup...it's just not for me.  They only won 76 last year and got older and weirder.  Oakland has to improve and the other 3 are all better than Seattle.  

Miami - Over 80.5 - Plenty of room for rebounds with Yelich and Ozuna. A full year out of Fernandez and Stanton. Edwin's currently penciled in as the #5 is a concern, but there are options at AAA

San Fran - Under 90 - Highest number on the board which is probably inflated by the even year believers. When you're counting on Shark, Peavy and Cain, to fill the bottom 3 of your rotation, you're not the best team in baseball.

Pittsburgh - Under 87 - This team has to take a step back at some point and 2016 is the year. Jaso @ 1B? Niese, Vogelsong and Locke round out the rotation?

Pirates under is a good one.  I think their window may have closed.  They do play 38 games against Milwaukee and Cincinnati, although they were sub-.500 against those teams in 2015.

Pirates U87 - Agree with everyone here that this is the year they take a step back. The lineup isnt very good and the SP after Cole is downright scary. A good bullpen can only overcome so much.

Mutts U88 - The SPs are so young and they've basically punted on defense. They weren't particularly strong up the middle last year with Flores and Murphy, but they've actually managed to get worse by replacing them with Walker and Asdrubal (who ranked dead last in UZR at ss last year). They're also replacing Lagaras (their lone bright spot on defense) with Cespedes in CF. Losing Mejia will hurt them too. The young guns might truly be something special, but that D is going to be brutal.

Yankees U85 - The middle of their lineup are all damn near 40 and coming off of healthy, bounce-back seasons. Can't imagine a repeat of that. Their starting rotation is a mixed bag of injured, over-the-hill and potential. Not a sure thing in the bunch. Again, stud bullpen can only do so much. I see a lot more talent than a 1/2 game separating them and Sox.

Rays - way over 78. Maybe it's the homer in me but I want to throw down on that. 

Cards - over 87.5. Seems light 

Red Sox under 85.5. They can eat a fat ?

Cubs over 89 because it's hard to see them not destroying everything and the Cards and Pirates will not be quite as good and the Reds and Brewers are terrible.

Twins over 77.5 because they have a lot of good young hitting and Berrios should help the staff.

Kansas City over 87 because Royals' fans are like MLB's Spurs' fans now, getting butthurt about all the perceived shots against them.

These are the 3 biggest discrepancies on the list above compared to what my online book has for totals...

Cubs - 93.5

Tigers - 81.5

Rays - 82.5

Several people mentioned mentioned the over on both the Cubs and Rays. No one mentioned the under on the Tigers.

I like the Phillies under 66.5. Outside of Aaron Nola their rotation would have trouble competing in AAA. 

I'll take the Cubs over the Giants over.

Just heard on MLB network...

• PECOTA has the Phils projected as the worst team in baseball with 65.5 wins. The team PECOTA picks with the least amount of wins has gone under that number 9 out of the last 10 years.  
  • PECOTA has the Rays projected at 91 wins.

Brewers Under 71.5, they won't even sniff 70. They'll lose 100 this year.

Cubs Over 89

Reds Under 71

1. Giants - 90 - under: love the Giants, but this just seems too high for betting purposes

3. Cubs - 89 - over: Epstein/Maddon are the best managerial combo in sports. it all comes together this year
Giants on pace for 99.

Reds on pace for 53

Cubs on pace for 113

Just heard on MLB network...

• PECOTA has the Phils projected as the worst team in baseball with 65.5 wins. The team PECOTA picks with the least amount of wins has gone under that number 9 out of the last 10 years.  
  • PECOTA has the Rays projected at 91 wins.
Can we please stop paying attention to these clowns? And once we're done with that, do the same with :toilet: Steamers :toilet:

Pecota had a first-mover advantage (and some residual sheen from the association with Nate Silver), but i don't see any reason to afford them a higher reputation any more. Plenty of other projection systems out there.

Miami - Over 80.5 - Plenty of room for rebounds with Yelich and Ozuna. A full year out of Fernandez and Stanton. Edwin's currently penciled in as the #5 is a concern, but there are options at AAA

San Fran - Under 90 - Highest number on the board which is probably inflated by the even year believers. When you're counting on Shark, Peavy and Cain, to fill the bottom 3 of your rotation, you're not the best team in baseball.

Pittsburgh - Under 87 - This team has to take a step back at some point and 2016 is the year. Jaso @ 1B? Niese, Vogelsong and Locke round out the rotation?
Miami's going to be close

Pitt's a lock

SF's close to a lock, but I wouldn't be spending that money yet.

Cubs over 89 because it's hard to see them not destroying everything and the Cards and Pirates will not be quite as good and the Reds and Brewers are terrible.
:bowtie:  brilliant!

Kansas City over 87 because Royals' fans are like MLB's Spurs' fans now, getting butthurt about all the perceived shots against them.
So you're saying there's a chance . . .

Twins over 77.5 because they have a lot of good young hitting and Berrios should help the staff.
Pretty good college football slate today, right folks?

Pirates U87 - Agree with everyone here that this is the year they take a step back. The lineup isnt very good and the SP after Cole is downright scary. A good bullpen can only overcome so much.

Mutts U88 - The SPs are so young and they've basically punted on defense. They weren't particularly strong up the middle last year with Flores and Murphy, but they've actually managed to get worse by replacing them with Walker and Asdrubal (who ranked dead last in UZR at ss last year). They're also replacing Lagaras (their lone bright spot on defense) with Cespedes in CF. Losing Mejia will hurt them too. The young guns might truly be something special, but that D is going to be brutal.

Yankees U85 - The middle of their lineup are all damn near 40 and coming off of healthy, bounce-back seasons. Can't imagine a repeat of that. Their starting rotation is a mixed bag of injured, over-the-hill and potential. Not a sure thing in the bunch. Again, stud bullpen can only do so much. I see a lot more talent than a 1/2 game separating them and Sox.
Yankees and Mets will come down to the wire, but this one has a chance at 3 for 3.

got all 3

1. Giants won 87

2. Reds won 68

3. Cubs won 103

Users who are viewing this thread