What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2021 Houston Texans - (1 Viewer)

At least the Bye is coming at a good time, maybe we won't have to play street FA's and practice squad guys in the secondary facing the Ravens, Pats, and Colts for the 2nd time in November. Not that it will do much good with Watt now out.

Conley (and our other practice squad level corners) was clearly targeted and managed to defend a few plays well at times, but also gave up some chunk plays (one I recall was called back due to penalty) and he got smoked for a long TD to Tyrell Williams. Granted he's been here less than a week, but doesn't bode well.

Feel bad for Watt and HOU (and fans).  Poor guy can't finish a season.  
yeah, it is becoming more of a liability than a resource.  The trading away of Clowney now looks shaky for a team that is trying to win now and is are of the injuries for Watt the past few years. 

The more i think about the Clowney trade, the more I think it was a huge mistake. I know there are teams that don't want to tie up a lot of money in the best players but that is why the Raiders are the Raiders and never win.  If the Texans truly want to challenge for a title, right now was THE time to pay a great difference-maker before they have to give all their money to keep Watson (which, if they don't do, just sets the franchise back a decade).  

yeah, it is becoming more of a liability than a resource.  The trading away of Clowney now looks shaky for a team that is trying to win now and is are of the injuries for Watt the past few years. 

The more i think about the Clowney trade, the more I think it was a huge mistake. I know there are teams that don't want to tie up a lot of money in the best players but that is why the Raiders are the Raiders and never win.  If the Texans truly want to challenge for a title, right now was THE time to pay a great difference-maker before they have to give all their money to keep Watson (which, if they don't do, just sets the franchise back a decade).  
Tend to agree on Clowney.  In any case, they need to continue to bolster the OL and defense.  Build around Watson.  RBs can be had fairly cheap but you have to pay pass rushers and QBs.  No way I'd let Watson slip away.  

Tend to agree on Clowney.  In any case, they need to continue to bolster the OL and defense.  Build around Watson.  RBs can be had fairly cheap but you have to pay pass rushers and QBs.  No way I'd let Watson slip away.  
The Redskins are finally saying out loud that Trent Williams is open for trade. I wish the Texans would have been able to make that move. IMO, they also need a legit younger, good secondary player that isn't taking on injury tendencies. This team needs to shore up their health as much as anything. 

At least the Bye is coming at a good time, maybe we won't have to play street FA's and practice squad guys in the secondary facing the Ravens, Pats, and Colts for the 2nd time in November. Not that it will do much good with Watt now out.

Conley (and our other practice squad level corners) was clearly targeted and managed to defend a few plays well at times, but also gave up some chunk plays (one I recall was called back due to penalty) and he got smoked for a long TD to Tyrell Williams. Granted he's been here less than a week, but doesn't bode well.
Was just watching the Williams TD.  Conley was in coverage but I'm going to call that a great play by the Raiders rather than a bad job by Conley. Route looked like a drag but then they had another receiver get in Conley's way right as Williams broke to cut it back up field towards the corner.  

Yep.  When I got the news about Watt, all I could think about was Clowney and how nice it'd be to still have him if only for this year.  If he walks, we likely still get a 3rd (compensatory).  That trade will never make sense to me.  

Was just watching the Williams TD.  Conley was in coverage but I'm going to call that a great play by the Raiders rather than a bad job by Conley. Route looked like a drag but then they had another receiver get in Conley's way right as Williams broke to cut it back up field towards the corner.  
Was hard for me to tell, I ran it back in slow motion a few times but the cameraman was fixed on the LoS and you couldn't see Conley and Williams at the bottom of the screen until after the ball comes out and by then Williams has got more than a few steps on Conley. Raiders got flagged for pick plays a few times so that wouldn't be surprising. Announcers seemed to think Conley got lost or it was a communication issue, but in my biased opinion, the announcers were slobbering over the Raiders the whole game.

Yep.  When I got the news about Watt, all I could think about was Clowney and how nice it'd be to still have him if only for this year.  If he walks, we likely still get a 3rd (compensatory).  That trade will never make sense to me.  
Well BOB said there was a plan... only thing I can guess is that the plan was trade away all our picks for bandaids and then spend in FA next year so a comp pick wouldn't matter.

I am guessing one of Stills or Fuller is extended and the other let go next year. Who knows on a Roby extension, he wasn't great but was at least solid before the injury and lots of games left. Giant Tunesil extension to the tune of 5 years $80M plus like Taylor Lewan got a year ago? Resign Mercilus? Resign Hyde or Miller or go after another RB? Is it sad, I am already thinking about the offseason and we are 5-3?

Comment by a friend when I was discussing the likelihood of going into cap hell. The CBA is up for renewal and the players want a bigger portion of revenues. Could be it goes up right when we need. If so need to lock people in before it.

Cap’s been increasing like crazy already so we’ll see. Even with all these crazy moves we still have like the 4th or 5th most cap space next year. Tunesil may take a chunk but he’s already on the books for $10M next year anyway so it might not be a huge hit in year 1 of an extension.

Of course with no GM and the Pats guy not available until after FA and the draft, who knows what kind of BOB zaniness we are in for next offseason.

With that in mind, the Steelers reached out to the New York Jets and jumped into the discussions for Le'Veon Bell, along with the Houston Texans, Kansas City Chiefs and the Green Bay Packers, according to sources.
Aroo?

Needed that win with Ravens, Colts & Pats on the docket after the Bye. Steelers helped out beating the Colts today.

Source: Texans claim CB Vernon Hargreaves off waivers

The Houston Texans claimed former Tampa Bay Buccaneers cornerback Vernon Hargreaves off waivers Wednesday, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Hargreaves was released by the Bucs on Tuesday after he was benched last weekend for what coach Bruce Arians deemed a lack of hustle.

"He didn't look like he was hustling to go in for a tackle," Arians said when asked about Hargreaves, who surrendered a 55-yard catch to Andy Isabella at the beginning of the third quarter against the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday. "He was chasing somebody across the field, and he wasn't running fast enough."

It is the latest move by the Texans to bolster their secondary. They acquired Gareon Conley from the Oakland Raiders on Oct. 21 in exchange for a third-round pick. Conley was selected in the first round of the 2017 draft; Hargreaves was a first-round pick in 2016.

Just when I start to believe a little in this team, they quickly shatter all hope.  Can't imagine a good coach getting shelled like this after bye week.  So much time to prepare.  At least cut Fairbairn and show some initiative.  

dhockster said:
Bill O'Brien is who we thought he is.
If my theory holds correct, given that it's a short week and O'Brien has less time to effect the team with his coaching, they'll dominate the Colts.

A few big injuries for the Texans. Justin Reid and Lonnie Johnson are probably not going to be able to play with the short week. Fuller and Roby are also gametime at best.

Colts also picked up some key injuries in their game so this may be a game of the walking woundeds:

The Colts have even more injury issues. They welcomed back quarterback Jacoby Brissett (knee) but lost four players in their 33-13 victory over Jacksonville. Of the most interest to the Texans is receiver T.Y. Hilton, who has seven touchdowns in seven games at NRG Stadium. He’s missed the past two games with a calf injury.

The Colts also lost running back Marlon Mack (hand), who had rushed for 109 yards on 14 carries before leaving the game. Rookie receiver Paris Campbell (hand) has missed the past two games and cornerback Pierre Desir (hamstring) the past four. Rookie cornerback Rock Ya-Sin left the Jacksonville game with an ankle injury.

Reports that Texans have no plans to hire a new GM for 2020.  :oldunsure:

And another report that they are saving the final IR spot for Watt to possibly return in time for the playoffs 🤞

Reports that Texans have no plans to hire a new GM for 2020.  :oldunsure:

And another report that they are saving the final IR spot for Watt to possibly return in time for the playoffs 🤞
Watt?!! x2

No GM is hilariously stupid and power grabby of BOB. If he’s behind that, he should be fired outright. He’s won nothing of consequence to deserve that trust whatsoever. 

Would love to have JJ back but only if he’s 100%. The team is clearly better with him, but no interest is losing by less to the Pats or Ravens in the 2nd round if we make it that far and it could risk another injury. 

Tough for me to blame the front office/Bob for injury but when you reach for 3rd round talent in the first, it makes me wonder.  
More succinctly: the Texans are in their window now on Watson’s rookie deal. Gambling on a project does no good at all. If the player wasn’t there, trade down or go for a more proven talent. 

Small sample size and he started off poorly but Howard was the highest rated rookie lineman by PFF until he hurt his knee. Bodes well for the future hopefully.

Pretty cool to watch, one of the best games they’ve ever played, even with the poor prevent defense the last 5 minutes.

Maybe BOB finally learned his lesson about being aggressive after playing conservative so many times and it costing us Watson’s 1st game against the Pats a few years ago.

Great win and great game plan by the defense.  Excellent bounce back game for DWat. Read progression was spot on. 

Pretty much same old BOB. Team looked totally unprepared (especially the defense.) Got big heads last week and paid the price. I'd also call that a snowball type game, where every little mistake gets compounded and you keep digging things deeper. Coutee's turnover in the 1st, constantly leaving the middle of the field open for Fant and the RB's to gouge us which wasn't helped by poor tackling, balls being tipped left and right and almost being INT's (and finally was), Tunesil false starting on critical 3rd downs, going for it on 4th down at your own 30 yard line with a few mins left and Denver getting the ball back to start the 2nd half? Game was over after that, no digging out of a 28 point hole. At least Watson tried to do something and come back.

Surging Titans up next, need to beat them convincingly for there to be any faith that we won't be another wildcard pushover if we make the postseason. Every commentary today is about how soft we are or that no one is afraid of us, sound familiar?

It was a win that felt good. Could easily have gone either direction. There were like 28 points up for grabs on end zone interceptions (2 potential TDs  for Deshaun and a 14 point swing on the hit by Reid and long return).   Liked to see how the line played overall. Running game was good enough to make a difference in the game.

Just need to take care of business in Tampa Bay now and clinch the division.  Though if they do, there could still be 3rd vs 4th seed up for grabs in week 17.  Should the Chiefs drop a game, we hold head to head over them so could move up.  I think the Bills/Pats are the obvious 5 seed you don't want to have to face no matter which of them it ends up being, so 3 seed would be best.

It was a win that felt good. Could easily have gone either direction. There were like 28 points up for grabs on end zone interceptions (2 potential TDs  for Deshaun and a 14 point swing on the hit by Reid and long return).   Liked to see how the line played overall. Running game was good enough to make a difference in the game.

Just need to take care of business in Tampa Bay now and clinch the division.  Though if they do, there could still be 3rd vs 4th seed up for grabs in week 17.  Should the Chiefs drop a game, we hold head to head over them so could move up.  I think the Bills/Pats are the obvious 5 seed you don't want to have to face no matter which of them it ends up being, so 3 seed would be best.
Really needed that game against the Bronco’s or the Saints game lost at the last second. Then they would have a shot at the 2 seed if the Bills win this weekend. Hopefully KC drops one and we win out, 6th seed and then @ Pats probably easier than Bills and then @ Ravens. But either way is a tough road to hoe.

Texans vs Titans has been flexed to the afternoon game this Sunday.

KC needs to lose for us to have a shot at moving up to the 3 seed. So they will know if they have anything to play for as KC/LAC is an early game. Titans need to win to make it in for the last wildcard spot.

Thanks Miami! Bills aren’t an easy matchup, but would much rather go into KC than into NE in round 2 if they can make it there. I wouldn’t mind seeing the Titans win today as I think they would do well against the Pats, better than the Steelers at least.

So, Ka'imi went from looking like he might be liability after the first few games, to being a strength. Pretty solid for the rest of the year, and was excellent at dropping kickoffs on the 1. We had the second best opponent kickoff return average, limiting opponents to 18.6 years per return.

Dan Snyder was apparently talking seriously with Rick Smith about becoming the Redskins GM, but decided to hire Rivera as coach and let him have input into the GM decision.

Smith's wife died of cancer last January.

Last edited by a moderator:
Talk about giving me a heart attack.

With Deshaun we're never really out of a game.
Haha.  Watson really is this team's saving grace.  Love watching him freelance.  With the game on the line, there's very few QBs I'd take over him.  Hoping Fuller will be back next week - really need him to stretch opposing defenses.  And I still don't trust Fairbairn for any pressure kicks of distance.  

Fortunate we get KC again.  Will be a different animal than the one we faced mid season but anything is better than Baltimore.   

Regarding the 4th and 1 call: Not really opposed to going for it there, but Deshaun's strength is in the open field, not plowing ahead on a QB sneak. Run a fake handoff bootleg where he has a run/pass option. The bills have to defend defend the dive pretty aggressively so Deshaun should be able to get the first.

Regarding the 4th and 1 call: Not really opposed to going for it there, but Deshaun's strength is in the open field, not plowing ahead on a QB sneak. Run a fake handoff bootleg where he has a run/pass option. The bills have to defend defend the dive pretty aggressively so Deshaun should be able to get the first.
Totally agree. I'd rather have him on the edge with the option to run or throw than trying to plow a QB sneak over a yard. But I sorta wanted them to kick the FG there and force the Bills to have to score a TD with a minute to go and no timeouts.  But was okay with going for it, just didn't like the play call. 

Totally agree. I'd rather have him on the edge with the option to run or throw than trying to plow a QB sneak over a yard. But I sorta wanted them to kick the FG there and force the Bills to have to score a TD with a minute to go and no timeouts.  But was okay with going for it, just didn't like the play call. 
Yeah, I wouldn't have had a problem with a FG either. Fairbairn has been in a groove lately so he the chance that he misses is pretty small.

Yes, I liked going for it but didn't like the play call. O'Brien mentioned it in his post game that it probably wasn't a good choice, so...  maybe he's learning from it. Hopefully.

For once I was thinking play conservative and kick the FG, would have forced them to have to go for the TD the full length of the field with no TO's. The announcers were slobbering all over Hauschka all game and posting all his 23 for 23 stats from less than 50 yards, etc. so I didn't like the idea of possibly giving them a short field to have to get into FG range for the tie.

For once I was thinking play conservative and kick the FG, would have forced them to have to go for the TD the full length of the field with no TO's. The announcers were slobbering all over Hauschka all game and posting all his 23 for 23 stats from less than 50 yards, etc. so I didn't like the idea of possibly giving them a short field to have to get into FG range for the tie.
I think the 4th and 1 decision could be defended either way, going for it or kicking the FG. If you go for it, I think you have to do two things: first, put it in the hands of your best offensive player (which they did), and second, put him where he is most successful which is out in space (which they did not do).

I know it was a tough pill to swallow and a tough game to watch.  I thought the decision to go FG was okay.  24-0 is a good score.  I thought BoB should have challenged the spot on 3rd down.  It looked closer to the mark than the spot they got.  He called TO anyway, why not challenge the spot?  But the FG was fine, imo.

The spark came on the kickoff.  One job, kick it to the back of the end zone.  Always.  Make them start on the 25.  The return set the stage.  I know it was cold, etc., but Butker didn't have any trouble kicking touch backs.  Except for the one the Texans fumbled.  

How do you not double team Kelce after it became clear that he was going to have a big day?  Why were there 4 white jerseys behind him in the end zone at the goal line?  You'd think you'd want to have a guy, idk, in front of him.  

Fake punt while you're up 24-7... in your own territory.  yeesh.  Momentum gone to never return.  Defense gassed. 

Even near the end BoB was going to punt down 3 scores.  They had to talk him into going for it.  I know it didn't matter at that moment but what does it say about O'Brien's in-game ability to call shots?  Long off-season. 

I know it was a tough pill to swallow and a tough game to watch.  I thought the decision to go FG was okay.  24-0 is a good score.  I thought BoB should have challenged the spot on 3rd down.  It looked closer to the mark than the spot they got.  He called TO anyway, why not challenge the spot?  But the FG was fine, imo.

The spark came on the kickoff.  One job, kick it to the back of the end zone.  Always.  Make them start on the 25.  The return set the stage.  I know it was cold, etc., but Butker didn't have any trouble kicking touch backs.  Except for the one the Texans fumbled.  

How do you not double team Kelce after it became clear that he was going to have a big day?  Why were there 4 white jerseys behind him in the end zone at the goal line?  You'd think you'd want to have a guy, idk, in front of him.  

Fake punt while you're up 24-7... in your own territory.  yeesh.  Momentum gone to never return.  Defense gassed. 

Even near the end BoB was going to punt down 3 scores.  They had to talk him into going for it.  I know it didn't matter at that moment but what does it say about O'Brien's in-game ability to call shots?  Long off-season. 
Yeah, so much on that game.

The kickoff... all year they've been intentionally dropping the ball just before the goal line to force a return as they've done a very good job on kickoff returns, 2nd best in the league at below 19 yards per return. But, pro bowl returner, that's the game you kick it in the end zone.

The kickoff... all year they've been intentionally dropping the ball just before the goal line to force a return as they've done a very good job on kickoff returns, 2nd best in the league at below 19 yards per return. But, pro bowl returner, that's the game you kick it in the end zone.
Especially when you are up 24-0, don't give them a chance to take back momentum. It is also possible Fairbairn was trying to kick in the endzone and just didn't get it there. It would be interesting to know where he was supposed to kick it on that kickoff.

Well, since all of Fairbairn's kicks were between the goal line and the 5 yard line, and Butker was able to get like 4 touchbacks, I think Fairbairn was intentionally kicking short of the endzone. Not a great strategy against a pro bowl returner. One more thing to question about O'Brien.

To be fair, most of the time Hardman is gonna return a ball 5 yards deep in the end zone. Unless Fairbairn can kick it OUT of the end zone the distance doesn't really matter. 

That is the Chief's M.O. on kickoff returns. They don't really care if they only start at the 15 several times a game: they know for Mahomes the field position of ten less yards doesn't really apply.

And the potential for the long gainer is always there. And it paid off for the Chiefs yesterday.

To be fair, most of the time Hardman is gonna return a ball 5 yards deep in the end zone. Unless Fairbairn can kick it OUT of the end zone the distance doesn't really matter. 

That is the Chief's M.O. on kickoff returns. They don't really care if they only start at the 15 several times a game: they know for Mahomes the field position of ten less yards doesn't really apply.

And the potential for the long gainer is always there. And it paid off for the Chiefs yesterday.
Well, the distance does matter in that if Hardman doesn't break a long one, taking it out 5 yards deep in your endzone will usually result in worse field position than if he caught it on the 2 yard line. So assuming the Texans know what you know, that Hardman takes it out of the endzone a lot, I would think they would want to kick as deep as they can.

Users who are viewing this thread