What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

CJ Prosise - RB - Notre Dame (1 Viewer)

NFL Network's Mike Garafolo reports C.J. Prosise (shoulder) is likely to miss "upward of eight weeks."
Prosise's scapula is very clearly fractured. Donte Moncrief's timeline was 4-6 weeks when his scapula was fractured and he returned in five, so it sounds like Prosise's injury may be even more severe. In a best-case scenario, Prosise would return for the playoffs, although he probably wouldn't be ready for the Wild Card Round. He's going to be droppable in season-long leagues this week. Thomas Rawls will offer league-winning fantasy potential down the stretch.
Damn.

So, another "promising" RB that's injury prone.  Duly noted for next year.
Wasn't he starting off the year injured as well? I think he didn't even start playing till about a month ago if I recall. The whole wide receiver conversion thing is getting mixed results in the NFL for a few reasons, most notably durability. Just cuz you're big and have size it isn't enough. Gotta admit tho thay Prosise played pretty lights out there on that untouched run. Guy has wheels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bummer...

I didn't believe he would keep the lion's share but a 60/40 split with receptions felt like a nice flex option on a team determined to make a run, looked like clear sailing with Michael gone but alas it wasn't meant to be.

Are you guys holding in dynasty leagues? Seems like a good player, but a bit injury prone ... and while Rawls is healthy, the offense runs through him. Not sure if Prosise is worth the patience

JohnnyU said:
Doesn't matter anymore, Rawls is the last man standing.
Looking forward I think it will matter again at some point. Perhaps next year. If both Rawls and Prosise are healthy I feel confident that Rawls will be the feature RB and that Prosise will be the change of pace 3rd down RB. If not Rawls for one reason or another I have doubts the team views Prosise in a lead role. I think they will look elsewhere for their lead RB. If you watched the press conference after the Philly game yesterday Carroll was very clear (as he has been in the past) that this is the team they want to be. Ground and pound. There were three specific times that Rawls had a solid first down carry yesterday that was immediately followed by an "attitude" run for a first down. That specifically is what Carroll was referring to. 

I'm not saying that I think Prosise can't be fantasy relevant, but at the most I see it being something akin to Gio Bernard in CIN. 

Looking forward I think it will matter again at some point. Perhaps next year. If both Rawls and Prosise are healthy I feel confident that Rawls will be the feature RB and that Prosise will be the change of pace 3rd down RB. If not Rawls for one reason or another I have doubts the team views Prosise in a lead role. I think they will look elsewhere for their lead RB. If you watched the press conference after the Philly game yesterday Carroll was very clear (as he has been in the past) that this is the team they want to be. Ground and pound. There were three specific times that Rawls had a solid first down carry yesterday that was immediately followed by an "attitude" run for a first down. That specifically is what Carroll was referring to. 

I'm not saying that I think Prosise can't be fantasy relevant, but at the most I see it being something akin to Gio Bernard in CIN. 
Not sure what credibility there is to the notion that Prosise can't be a full-time back.  It's not like Rawls has a great history of durability and he's banged up again after this week's game.

Not sure what credibility there is to the notion that Prosise can't be a full-time back.  It's not like Rawls has a great history of durability and he's banged up again after this week's game.
The credibility comes from the consistency of the talk coming from Carroll. He hasn't engaged in "coach-speak" over the past five years and I don't believe he's just starting now.  Their desire to have a punishing physical ground game hasn't wavered from day one of his tenure here in Seattle. If that aspect of there offense doesn't come from Rawls as we move forward, it will come from someone else other than Prosise. Sure, Prosise may be an every down guy next year if they can't fill the role with that physically dominating presence like they had with Lynch, but I believe they will keep searching for that element until they find someone they are happy with. 

pro-Rawls posters had it pegged all along with Christine Michael and the Prosise debaters, imo. He represents exactly what they want the heart and soul of the team to be. If anybody watched what Rawls did yesterday and still thinks he isn't the starter going forward, and this includes after Prosise is healthy and to start the next year (if healthy and some early round RB isn't selected) they are just simply living in denial.

Run It Up said:
People said similar things about David Johnson.
Yeah but David Johnson didn't have to supplant a healthy Rawls as the starter. He didn't even start until Chris Johnson went down iirc. And Chris Johnson last year was a shell of his former self or what Rawls brings to the table now. I don't think David Johnson really applies here anyway. People are constantly pointing to David Johnson in every thread as the example of what happens, but he is the exception, not the rule, like the Dwayne Washington thread his name came up too LOL, etc. etc. like it applies for every RB in the league. Even David Johnson didn't carry the load until CJ2k went down to injury so I still don't get the point here.

I feel pretty confident Prosise is a three down back.  I drafted him with the thought that he could take the starting job.  I didn't expect it to happen this year, but I think it did.  We won't know for sure since he and Rawls haven't been healthy together except for one game in which Prosise was the starter.  I'd expect Rawls to remain the starter whenever Prosise returns this year.  As a Prosise owner on 3 of 4 dynasty teams, I'm less concerned about Rawls than seeing him stay on the field.  He is not going to matter if he can't stay healthy.  I thought midway through year two was the time frame for Prosise to take over anyway.  That is, if it was going to happen.  I still think it will.

Curious why no one is talking about Rawls being fragile :bag:
Perhaps "no one" that you are referring to understands the nature of random variation. Further, the idea that some players are injury prone is a false notion. Sure, some players may be more injured more often due to their inability to protect themselves while others soldier on somehow avoiding injuries. That said, if you have a firm grasp of what random variation really is (and in my experience most humans don't) you'll have an easier time not worrying about guys being fragile. 

Perhaps "no one" that you are referring to understands the nature of random variation. Further, the idea that some players are injury prone is a false notion. Sure, some players may be more injured more often due to their inability to protect themselves while others soldier on somehow avoiding injuries. That said, if you have a firm grasp of what random variation really is (and in my experience most humans don't) you'll have an easier time not worrying about guys being fragile. 
I would say that defines injury prone, but I'm no genius.  I remember thinking Prosise's upper body was under developed for a RB even though he was a big guy and could lead to him not being able to protect himself.

I would say that defines injury prone, but I'm no genius.
I don't disagree, but I think the label gets thrown around too often. IMO the majority of players that get hurt represent randomness. Every player is an injury risk. My guess is that injuries are somewhat normally distributed. Some guys get injured tons of times through no fault of their own. Some guys escape injury time and time again. More often than not they come in bunches that get a guy labeled as "injury prone". Robert Smith comes to mind. Isaac Bruce comes to mind. Joey Galloway comes to mind. Each had that tag early in their career and then went on to have productive reliable fantasy careers. Trying to predict who will be repetitively injured is folly IMO. 

So much for that with the Lacy signing.

Prosise probably has his role, but with Lacy and Rawls to compete with, it certainly caps Prosise's upside (for this year at least),
Prosise is a 3rd down back. I think his value took an enormous hit. The lack of confidence is shown in the Lacy signing.

You don't think injury concerns with Prosise and Rawls prompted Seattle to sign Lacy ? It's absolutely an indictment on their future outlook towards Prosise, in my opinion.

Let me preface this by saying I never quite understand what SEA is trying to do with their run game.  The Lacy signing (or spending money on any FA RB) without investing in their offensive line seems like a waste of resource allocation.

However, Lacy and Rawls will both be free agents after '17 (Rawls will be an RFA).  That could clear Prosise's path forward.

The corollary of that, however, is that the Lacy signing effectively sandbags Rawls' value, and he could be brought back for a much cheaper price.  So I don't know!

My best hope (and I think reasonable guess) for '17 is that Prosise earns a Riddick-like role on a team that continues to struggle to run but passes efficiently.

Lacy has never been the paradigm of health, either. SEA likes competition. They will have it. Lacy is a two down banger like Rawls. Prosise at minimum will be the 3rd down, no huddle RB with an opportunity to be more

Casting Couch said:
You don't think injury concerns with Prosise and Rawls prompted Seattle to sign Lacy ? It's absolutely an indictment on their future outlook towards Prosise, in my opinion.
Future? It's a one year deal for Lacy. This is all about Rawls and little to do with Prosise. I think we all knew he wasn't going to be given a lot of early down work this year so doesn't change things that much. If he proves himself this year and bulks up a bit he can get more touches next year.

Future? It's a one year deal for Lacy. This is all about Rawls and little to do with Prosise. I think we all knew he wasn't going to be given a lot of early down work this year so doesn't change things that much. If he proves himself this year and bulks up a bit he can get more touches next year.
Not sure I'd be too excited (fantasy wise) about a guy who has to prove himself AND bulk up to possibly get more touches in 2018. Seattle is looking like a hot mess RB wise... 

The one area that Prosise could thrive in might be as a receiver.  Personally, I like Lockett better but if he is less than 100% it might open the door for Prosise.

Really? The most recent blurb out of Seattle was that Prosise would be competing for the starting RB job. Doesn't seem like that's the case anymore. Now he's back to strictly a 3rd down role. His value in both dynasty and redraft just took a huge hit. If he was really competing for the starting RB job then this move is the opposite of a vote of confidence. If he wasn't really competing for the starting job then his upside was always limited while on Seattle. Either way you cut it, this move was equally negative for both Prosise and Rawls.

I dont think this hurts Prosise as much as it does Rawls, but have to agree Prosise wont get as much with Lacy.
Limits him now and am hoping to get prosise cheap now.
Seems us Rawls owners have bigger worries than Prosise, and yes I was trying for the big pun.

I dont think this hurts Prosise as much as it does Rawls, but have to agree Prosise wont get as much with Lacy.
Limits him now and am hoping to get prosise cheap now.
Seems us Rawls owners have bigger worries than Prosise, and yes I was trying for the big pun.
It does if you thought he had a legit shot at being the starter. But if you were realistic and only expecting 3rd downs, then sure, it hurts Rawls more.

Quality pun.

I had no real expectations that Prosise would get much more than 3rd down work this year. Now I have no doubt that all he will really get, exceptions for Lacys health.

ESPN Seahawks reporter Sheil Kapadia believes sophomore C.J. Prosise will "have a big role" if he can stay healthy.
Kapadia wrote Prosise "will be featured in the passing game" and used "as a change-up" for Eddie Lacy, but it all depends on him staying on the field. Limited by injuries all offseason and knocked out by a shoulder injury late in the year, Prosise was only able to play in six games as a rookie. Of course, he was dynamic when on the field, averaging over eight yards per touch, and that type of playmaking ability will keep him on the fantasy radar in PPR formats even with Lacy operating as the lead back.

Source: ESPN 
May 23 - 11:50 AM

ESPN Seahawks reporter Sheil Kapadia wrote 60 receptions is "not a stretch" for sophomore C.J. Prosise "if he stays healthy."

The "if he stays healthy" is an important addendum after Prosise was limited to six games as a rookie. That said, Kapadia notes Seattle running backs combined for 75 catches last year, and Prosise is the best bet to earn those targets. Eddie Lacy will be the workhorse, but Prosise is in position to earn a big role.

Source: ESPN 
May 29 - 11:18 AM

I was offered S.Ware straight up for Prosise in dynasty.  No idea what to think of his prospects going forward, but Ware is a solid starter in the league (for now, I guess).

On 2/26/2016 at 3:48 PM, Eminence said:

I'm doing my rookie rankings and I came across this cat who I didn't know much about.

At 6 foot and 220 lbs, the way this guy runs is incredible.  His patience behind his blocking is phenomenal and he knows exactly when to shift into 3rd gear.

He's got an excellent skillset of a spin move, jump cut, and stiff arm.  After all that, the defense still has to take 220 lbs of running back down.

He's a former receiver and has a few bomb catches on film.  The big knock on him is that he hasn't been playing the position very long but he looks phenomenal.

May not play right away due to lack of pass blocking experience.  But that just means you can get his amazing running skills at a big discount.  Dynasty stash.

He looked awesome as a Rookie. Such a good offense for him. When they go no huddle or are playing come back, this guy is going to be a dumpoff machine.

On 2/26/2016 at 3:48 PM, Eminence said:

I'm doing my rookie rankings and I came across this cat who I didn't know much about.

At 6 foot and 220 lbs, the way this guy runs is incredible.  His patience behind his blocking is phenomenal and he knows exactly when to shift into 3rd gear.

He's got an excellent skillset of a spin move, jump cut, and stiff arm.  After all that, the defense still has to take 220 lbs of running back down.

He's a former receiver and has a few bomb catches on film.  The big knock on him is that he hasn't been playing the position very long but he looks phenomenal.

May not play right away due to lack of pass blocking experience.  But that just means you can get his amazing running skills at a big discount.  Dynasty stash.

He looked awesome as a Rookie. Such a good offense for him. When they go no huddle or are playing come back, this guy is going to be a dumpoff machine.

zed2283 said:
Not playing tonight?
(RotoWire) Prosise missed Friday's win versus the Vikings due to groin tightness, Aron Yohannes of the Seahawks' official site reports. "It's disappointing because we were really excited about him playing tonight," head coach Pete Carroll said. "He's not hurt seriously, but it's just going to take a little bit."

Analysis: After suffering the injury during pregame warmups, Prosise joined Thomas Rawls (ankle) on the pine, allowing Eddie Lacy a chance to roll with the first-team offense. The DNPs were more helpful for the prospects of the remaining running backs on the roster, though. Chris Carson racked up six carries for 27 yards and one catch for 17 yards, while Alex Collins ripped off 58 yards on 10 rushes and four receptions for 35 yards. If Prosise takes well to the time off the field, he could be back in the fold for Friday's preseason contest against the Chiefs.

He’s back this week. What are we thinking?   Has everyone given up on him?   Seattle’s backfield is a disaster so the opportunity is ripe for the taking.   If he can stay healthy he might just be the best back on the roster for the rest of the season.  And his involvement in the passing game on a team with a ####show of an o line makes him pretty much game script proof.  

The Seahawks have two power backs.  Two receiving backs.  A crappy offensive line.  Plus a mobile QB to vulture at the GL.

Good luck mining any RB fantasy value out of that equation.

The Seahawks have two power backs.  Two receiving backs.  A crappy offensive line.  Plus a mobile QB to vulture at the GL.

Good luck mining any RB fantasy value out of that equation.
You think sea is going to go into week 7 with rawls, lacy, prosise AND mckissic active? I doubt that.  If they like prosise more, mckissic will likely be inactive.  Lacy and rawls will catabolize each other on 1st and 2nd down with the 1ypc and a cloud of dust to start the game. Prosise would come in on 3rd downs.  He’s got chris Thompson-Esque upside in that role if he can stay healthy.  He looked great last year when given an opportunity with the same gl td vulture qb.  And BC lacy and rawls both suck donkey d*ck he’s got upside for more. 

Prosise knocks McKissic out of action, Carroll fully endorsed CJ multiple times. I picked him up and may play him this week, I have Gallman, Lat Murray, Alex Collins and him.

You think sea is going to go into week 7 with rawls, lacy, prosise AND mckissic active? I doubt that.  If they like prosise more, mckissic will likely be inactive.  Lacy and rawls will catabolize each other on 1st and 2nd down with the 1ypc and a cloud of dust to start the game. Prosise would come in on 3rd downs.  He’s got chris Thompson-Esque upside in that role if he can stay healthy.  He looked great last year when given an opportunity with the same gl td vulture qb.  And BC lacy and rawls both suck donkey d*ck he’s got upside for more. 
I was thinking the same thing. He had a lead-ish role last year for a couple of games before he got injured and he was putting up decent numbers IIRC.

Due to bye week issues, I had counted on Alfred Morris to be starting for me this week.  Looks like my emergency plan may be Prosise.  :scared:

Users who are viewing this thread