Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LionSlappy

1.01 startup dynasty trade advice

Generally, what would you be looking for in return for the 1.01 in a 12-team ppr dynasty start up draft?  Like the idea of getting ODB or a similar talent but want to explore options. If I traded top pick for a pick in the range of 1.08-1.10, what else would you be looking for? His 2nd for my 3rd? Or am I selling myself short? Thanks!

Maybe I'm confused, but it seems like you're all over the board here. Obj or a similar talent takes more than the 1.01, but a drop to 1.08 would take another 1st at least, if not 2. Top tier talent requires multiple 1sts to secure. If you're going to trade back, I'd wait until closer to your draft and let the offers roll in. For the 1.01 I would want 2 mid 1sts and a future 1st (assuming its coming from the middle as well). 

He's talking about trading start up picks. So, he has the very first pick in the start up draft, and is considering trading back to pick 8 or 10, and wondering what he should get in return. If I'm not totally mistaken, the idea of swapping his 2nd for your 3rd would mean getting pick 14 or 16 in exchange for pick 25. I think it probably is almost, but just not quite enough. Tough to know who will fall to picks 8 and 14-16, but if this was something like Gurley/Cooper/Gronk + Jeffery/Allen/Evans for OBJ + Cobb/Matthews/Miller, I think I'd like the trade.

I don't know if I like that deal, not enough of a difference between 3.01 and 2.04 to go from 1.01 to 1.08. I can't even read though so what do I know?

3 minutes ago, Snorkelson said:

I don't know if I like that deal, not enough of a difference between 3.01 and 2.04 to go from 1.01 to 1.08. I can't even read though so what do I know?

Yeah, I'm still not sure how I feel. You'd be missing out on a premier young WR1 in OBJ or Hopkins, and settling for an older/lower ranked WR1. In exchange, you'll get a low end WR1/very top WR2 in exchange for a midrange WR2 or mid/low end RB1. I like to go WR heavy and keep a relatively young roster, so I think I'd be fine with something like Watkins + Keenan Allen for OBJ + whoever, but late 1st is sort of a weird place to pick a young WR. You'll either have to slightly reach for a guy whose production isn't quite at the level of older elite WRs, or just go with the older elite WR.

i think going from the 1.01 to the 1.08, you are going to miss on the top 3 young wr guys ODB, Nuk, ARob. You will likely have a look at Evans, Watkins, Cooper in this range. You will not get two of those 3 tho,   So essentially you would be trading 1 of whichever of the first 3 you prefer, for 1 of those guys and maybe a guy like Cobb/KB/Parker/Landry/Allen

if you do that deal, move from 1.01 to 1.08, and swap your 3 for his early 2, we are starting out 8,16,24 instead of  1, 24, 25. Its not awful if you can hit on both 8 and 16. I think the dropoff of ODB or Nuk at 1.01 and whoever you end up with at the turn is probably not so significant if you can get say, Cooper, and Allen or Landry at 8 and 16

Typically from what I have seen in start ups a team trading down from 1.01 to a lower pick would also swap round 2 picks plus get another upgrade.  So something like swapping picks in rounds 1 & 2 and then the team trading away the 1.01 also getting say a 6th round pick for a 10th round pick.  Something along those lines.

I think all of the comments regarding picks seem about right.  However, if I were you I would push to do an auction for the startup draft regardless.  I hate the idea of starting a dynasty up and then missing out on the guy I want simply because I drew a bad number.  For dynasty leagues every owner should have the opportunity to get the player they want to build around if they are willing to pay enough. 

I would look to change the draft to an auction.

If I was in your shoes I'd try to stay in the top 5 if possible and pick up an extra 2nd (giving them your 4th) or extra 3rd (give 6th).

That would let you choose from A Rob, OBJ, Hopkins, Brown (who I think has a lot of career left) or Julio.  In the top 8 you could still probably get a great player, but 1.01 in a startup will be very valuable to anyone who's locked in to a certain player.

If it was me I'd want an overpay or I'd stick with 1.01 and get a player you love.

This year, if I was trading the #1 pick for something in the 8-10 range, I would be looking at something like this:

Picks 1 and 48, plus maybe your 2017 2nd

for

Picks 9, 16, and probably his 2017 1st rounder. 

If you can't work something with a very good size upgrade then just stand pat and take your top guy. 

You might even be able to look into a deal where you trade out of the first round all together.  For example say the guy with pick 9 wants the #1, you could offer the #1 pick for something like picks 16, 33, and 40

Simply put, there are  LOT of different directions you can go when dealing away the #1, and I have a feeling this year most of the teams out of the top 3 will have interest in that #1. 

Maybe, if you're able to find some dynasty startups from the last 3-4 years, you could take a look at them and see how your team would have looked if you made any of these trades.  That could give you actual bodies in the trade slots to see how your team could have looked.