What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*--* 2016 Seattle Seahawks Thread *--* (1 Viewer)

Hooper31

Footballguy
A new year, a new thread.

Questions:

1. Resign LB Bruce Irvin? If not, what's your plan?

I vote no. Early pick in the draft (1st or 2nd). Draft another physical freak that has other question marks.

2. Resign OT Russell Okung? If not, what's your plan?

I vote no. If you're going to invest that kind of money I would rather throw it at Joe Thomas in some form of trade with Cleveland. Otherwise I think Bailey gets the shot and shows he can be capable. 

3. Draft priorities?

Of course dependent on 1. and 2. from above, but I think they need to invest in DT if Mebane and Rubin are not resigned. My gut tells me Rubin is brought back, but not Bane. Will be sad to see him go, but Seattle braintrust has been diligent in allowing players to leave before the skills erode. Would rather let them go early than too late. Having little faith in WR Paul Richardson's ability to stay healthy I think they throw another pick at WR as well. Will coach Carroll ever find that oversized WR he craves like BMW again?

Another thought. Seattle seems ripe to invest a pick into a QB that they can develop over time. Wilson has been incredibly durable. I never buy into gambler's fallacy that past determines future. Every player is an injury risk, but it just feels right that they will draft at least one this year. Perhaps a project? And maybe bring in some old vet as immediate disaster relief? Of course this all assumes T. Jackson hits the road. Anyone else have a thought on the backup QB situation?  

Kearse, Lane, Rubin resigned. 

Mebane, Irvin, Sweezy gone.

Okung? Don't want to think about LT with him gone. 

In other news that likely only interests me...

1. Jon Ryan resigned today. Now won't have to waste that 7th rounder on a punter. **

2. Russell Wilson got engaged to Ciara.

3. Seahawks currently have only one first round pick on the entire roster. Weirder still he's only 26 years old and now the longest tenured Seahawk. Says volumes about how well this front office is at acquiring talent that other teams don't want or see. Unfathomable that JS has yet to win any awards for his general awesomeness. 

** EDIT: My mistake. Ryan resigning means that the guy I'm talking about in #3 is now the 2nd longest tenured Seahawk. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hawks get 3 compensatory picks.  3rd (97th), 5th (171) and 6th (215).

I bet that 3rd is a homerun  :)

Another thought. Seattle seems ripe to invest a pick into a QB that they can develop over time. Wilson has been incredibly durable. I never buy into gambler's fallacy that past determines future. Every player is an injury risk, but it just feels right that they will draft at least one this year. Perhaps a project? And maybe bring in some old vet as immediate disaster relief? Of course this all assumes T. Jackson hits the road. Anyone else have a thought on the backup QB situation?  
Hey Hoop, thanks for starting a 2016 thread.

QB is an interesting situation for us.  Our offense seems designed around a credible run threat at QB, with good accuracy/decision making, but will mostly be asked to not turn the ball over.  The win expectation for this QB over a full season would probably be no more than 8-8 quite frankly and that's why T-Jack has worked so well for us as the backup.  At this point however I'm just not sure he's worth the $1.5M/year given Russ' durability.  The problem is I don't think you get an 8-8 guy in the back of the draft and I don't think you want to spend much more than $1.5M and one roster spot to back up Russ.

If Hass didn't retire I honestly thought he would have been ideal for one more year for the mentorship alone.

Hey Hoop, thanks for starting a 2016 thread.

QB is an interesting situation for us.  Our offense seems designed around a credible run threat at QB, with good accuracy/decision making, but will mostly be asked to not turn the ball over.  The win expectation for this QB over a full season would probably be no more than 8-8 quite frankly and that's why T-Jack has worked so well for us as the backup.  At this point however I'm just not sure he's worth the $1.5M/year given Russ' durability.  The problem is I don't think you get an 8-8 guy in the back of the draft and I don't think you want to spend much more than $1.5M and one roster spot to back up Russ.

If Hass didn't retire I honestly thought he would have been ideal for one more year for the mentorship alone.
Wilson has been durable, and he is better than most QBs at protecting himself, getting OB, etc. But he is also among the league leaders in hits taken (at QB).

When he was a redshirt freshman at NC State, he was knocked out of a game with a concussion and missed the next game. Then in that season's bowl game, he sprained his knee on a first half run and missed the second half, leading State to lose the game. Obviously, he is bigger, smarter, and more experienced now, which helps a lot. But the risk is real.

I don't see why it is a problem to dedicate $1.5M to the backup position. What is that, 1% of the cap?

Wondering if the Seattle homers can comment on Mebane, since the Chargers signed him. The Chargers DL has been among the worst in the league for years, so IMO he is a clear upgrade, just not sure how much of an upgrade. The Chargers also play a 3-4 as its base defense, so not sure if Mebane will be expected to play nose (as has been reported) or end. Thoughts?

Wondering if the Seattle homers can comment on Mebane, since the Chargers signed him. The Chargers DL has been among the worst in the league for years, so IMO he is a clear upgrade, just not sure how much of an upgrade. The Chargers also play a 3-4 as its base defense, so not sure if Mebane will be expected to play nose (as has been reported) or end. Thoughts?

Bane has been a Seattle favorite for good reason for quite some time. Not the eye-popping stats, but a major reason that Seattle has given up the fewest points for the past four straight years. He sucks up double teams. He gets to the ball carrier. He plays assignment correct. However, his best years are certainly behind him. My guess is Seattle looks to replace him with youth in the draft. A slightly undersized DT, but a player that consistently plays with leverage and has excellent quickness like we've seen from Bane since he first arrived in Seattle. 

I don't see why it is a problem to dedicate $1.5M to the backup position. What is that, 1% of the cap?
The model for successful franchises is to invest huge dollars in a few players being very careful not to have too many mid-range salary players. If you're making more than $1 million dollars it probably needs to be a guy that's one of those elite investments. 

If Seattle has to go to the backup the season is likely over. They're currently playing to win it all. Anything short of that is a failure season. They're already losing players they would like to keep. If they can save an extra million by having a minimal salary backup QB I think they go that route. 

League sources indicate the Seahawks are close to releasing Macklemore and have recently closed a deal with Ciara to replace him. :unsure:

Getting nervous about LT situation. Hope Pete and JS have a solid plan. 
Now that Okung isn't coming back I'm really curious how they handle the remainder of FA and the draft.  They have never been in a position where they have their hands forced but I doubt their plan is to go with Webb at LT.  Russ is going to need to run for his life once again.  Kind of getting sick of that.

Now that Okung isn't coming back I'm really curious how they handle the remainder of FA and the draft.  They have never been in a position where they have their hands forced but I doubt their plan is to go with Webb at LT.  Russ is going to need to run for his life once again.  Kind of getting sick of that.
If season started today...

LT: Gilliam

LG: Britt

C: Lewis

RG: Glowinski

RT: Webb

:puke:

If season started today...

LT: Gilliam

LG: Britt

C: Lewis

RG: Glowinski

RT: Webb

:puke:
I wonder where some of our other guys are.  For example, they rostered Sokoli all year last year and I think we was a gameday inactive the entire time.  They must see something grand in him.  Including Sokoli we have *5* players listed as C (3) or C/G (2) so something is going on.

On the Tackle side of things we have (as you mentioned) Gilliam and Webb, but also Kona Schwenke, Bradly Sowell, and Terry Poole.

I've got to think we do our usual thing where we bring in some O-linemen in the 3-5th rounds (unless someone falls to us we weren't expecting) and Cable coaches them up to compete.  Maybe this doesn't get Russ killed.

biju said:
Maybe this doesn't get Russ killed.

Think about this statement for a few moments. Maybe? How do you really feel about saying your QB might not get killed? Me? Not a fan. 

I know it's a quiet part of the year but this thread is a little too dead.  What does everyone think about the Brandon Browner signing? 

Personally, I think he's a great depth signing to make sure the younger guys in the secondary don't think anything is being handed to them.  Plus, if he really did have a torn MCL last year he might be a great bargain (although I haven't seen what he signed for).

I know it's a quiet part of the year but this thread is a little too dead.  What does everyone think about the Brandon Browner signing? 

Personally, I think he's a great depth signing to make sure the younger guys in the secondary don't think anything is being handed to them.  Plus, if he really did have a torn MCL last year he might be a great bargain (although I haven't seen what he signed for).
We'll see. Tough to know if Browner or Clemons can contribute. I have faith in PC/JS. Doesn't hurt to bring anyone in that can potentially make the roster better. 

Speaking of PC/JS. Saw a twitter post this past week numbering the guys they've drafted that are still in the league. Would love to know how their percentage compares to other teams. 

I think Seattle needs to draft O-line early, and as stated above they probably won't. If Wilson goes down we are screwed, and it blows my mind the garbage they keep putting in front of him.

I think Seattle needs to draft O-line early, and as stated above they probably won't. If Wilson goes down we are screwed, and it blows my mind the garbage they keep putting in front of him.
I keep hearing this sentiment and then I hear Cable talk about how all of the O-linemen coming out of college (except the top handful) will need to be completely re-trained and would be a liability this season.  Assuming Cable knows what he's talking about (and I realize a lot of folks have problems with Cable--not me) why would we use early picks on linemen when we can get comparable athletes in later rounds when both will go through the same growing pains?  That part to me just sounds like a strong strategy...

I think Browner will not make the team, but Clemons will.

biju said:
I keep hearing this sentiment and then I hear Cable talk about how all of the O-linemen coming out of college (except the top handful) will need to be completely re-trained and would be a liability this season.  Assuming Cable knows what he's talking about (and I realize a lot of folks have problems with Cable--not me) why would we use early picks on linemen when we can get comparable athletes in later rounds when both will go through the same growing pains?  That part to me just sounds like a strong strategy...
I am actually a Cable fan, and I am impressed he has gotten what he has out of these guys.. I admit I am not a big draft guy, but it would make sense that if you can get the same O-Line talent in the later rounds, then definitely due that. In fact, when Seattle has drafted O-Line early it has been poor choices. (Moffit, Carpenter, and the jury is still out on Britt.) 

Well, so much for what I think I know.  Seattle picks an O-lineman early.  According to what I've read Pete and John seem to have known Ifedi was their pick for a while.  They got their guy and traded down to grab another 3rd round pick as well.  In a draft this deep I would say that is a massive win.

Now we just need Cable to coach him up.  

What are people thinking for day 2?  We now have four picks: 2.25 (56), 3.27 (90), 3.32 (95), and 3.35 (97).  Anyone think we take a risk on Jaylon Smith with one of those 3rd round picks?  

Who knows with any of these kids honestly. The TE seemed weird but am reading good things and the ESPN talking heads were liking both that pick and Prosise.

Reading mostly good things about what they have done so far.

A bit surprised they didn't take a QB with one of those 3rds. Perhaps they have someone in mind farther down the board. That said, they're definitely filling holes in the roster. 

Watched some game tape of Reed. He locks up blockers, sheds them, and makes tackles. I keep reading the comment that he didn't have opportunities to rush the passer, but that's not what I saw (watched the Clemson and Georgia tapes from this past year). Plenty of pass plays where he just stands up the center or guard and attempts to bullrush with little to no effect. Never saw a swim or a spin. Not once. Don't take that as a complaint, but observation. Maybe Alabama preached assignment correct football 100% of the time to he and Robinson at the DT spots?

Know nothing about the other three picks at the moment other than what the talking heads on TV mentioned. Look forward to starting my "Grade your team's 2016 draft" three years from now. Until then I remain just like Gust and the Zen Master

Who knows with any of these kids honestly. The TE seemed weird but am reading good things and the ESPN talking heads were liking both that pick and Prosise.

Reading mostly good things about what they have done so far.
TE pick makes sense if they don't plan on resigning Willson (no relation) long term. Add in the idea that Graham's career might already be over and TE becomes a high priority. 

TE pick makes sense if they don't plan on resigning Willson (no relation) long term. Add in the idea that Graham's career might already be over and TE becomes a high priority. 
Plus neither of them are really blocking TEs.  I keep hearing the Zach Miller/Heath Miller comparisons on this one and that sounds pretty damn good to me.

Watched some video of the TE and he did look very Zach Miller-esque. Big. They showed him locking down a few guys on runs around his side. Catching the ball well with his hands. had a quote from Urban Meyer saying he could have used him more as a receiving TE last year if they needed to. Seems like a great fit.

Love that Prosise played all those positions and played on defense. Those guys always seem a little more bad ### when they get a chance to make plays on offense.

Plus neither of them are really blocking TEs.  I keep hearing the Zach Miller/Heath Miller comparisons on this one and that sounds pretty damn good to me.
Agreed. It won't be Lynch of course, but I don't see the team changing their offensive identity. They're still going to attempt to ram the ball down the other team's throat as much as possible. The formula isn't going to change in my opinion. The philosophy that encompasses both sides of the ball complementing the other should remain.

Run the ball on offense. Control the clock. Let the defense rest as much as possible. I don't see them ever turning into the Wilson air attack like many fantasy nuts predict. If the team remains successful I see Wilson's numbers declining next year, and I think that's a good thing. Stop the run on first and second down allowing your pass rush to create havoc leading to turnovers. It's the same formula Carroll has been using since he arrived at USC. Damn, we're lucky fans. I wonder if the locals around here have any idea how lucky we are right now. 

I've been watching Prosise videos all morning.  Obviously, there isn't very much tape but what I do see he looks great in.  I've read (this morning) he dances behind the O-line too much but it looks more like patience to me with some indecision.  One thing I was noting was how many of his big plays tended to be running outside and that just won't continue in the NFL.  He's going to need to find success up the middle to be a 3 down back.  For now, he looks like he'll be an excellent 3rd down RB.

Collins is a guy I watched a lot.  He's got sneaky quickness for such a big back and he runs hard.  Seems like he should have went earlier so maybe the speed is a question, but he makes a pretty good goalline option and can can be a good change of pace guy. 

Driving around today and heard the phone interview with Collins and the local media. Kid is pretty interesting talked about how he likes to do Lord of the Dance Irish dancing or whatever it's called to workout :lol:  

They said he fumbled a lot but got better as he went on in college. Must have been the best player available on the board for them. 

A one-year starter in Arkansas' pro-style offense, Collins didn't become a full-time starter until 2015, but it was his third straight season with 1,000-plus yards rushing - only the third player in SEC history to do so, joining Herschel Walker and McFadden.

Collins opted to skip his senior season after rushing for 1,577 yards and 20 touchdowns in 2015 as a junior. The second-team All-SEC pick had 36 career touchdowns and 3,703 rushing yards in three seasons.

Fellow prospect Jonathan Williams led Arkansas in rushing yards (1,190) in 2014, but Collins wasn't far behind with 1,100 yards, giving him back-to-back 1,000-yard rushing seasons -- the first Razorback rusher to do so since Darren McFadden.

The SEC Freshman of the Year in 2013, Collins gained 1,026 yards on 190 carries and led all NCAA freshmen in rushing.

Most SEC teams and many traditional powerhouses recruited Collins, who was ranked the No. 1 running back in the nation out of South Plantation (Fla.) High School.

Strengths Weaknesses

STRENGTHS: Solidly built and runs stronger than he is due to determination. Hungry runner and doesn't waste time getting north-south. Won't avoid contact and barrels into tacklers, driving his legs to finish. Quick, decisive cuts, showing patience and burst.

Resets his vision well on the move to pick his way through the heart of a defense. Quickly reaches his top speed, accelerating well at the second level to take it the distance.

Reliable as a pass-catcher and more than just a screen target, working hard to adjust his route and give his quarterback an open target. Usually does just enough in pass protection with vision and toughness to read pressures and give up his body.

Developed into a team-leader and takes well to coaching. Highly productive as both a complementary and feature back, averaging 5.7 yards rushing over his career with 36 rushing touchdowns in 14 starts - 17 career 100-yard performances. Leaves Arkansas No. 2 on the school's all-time rushing yards list, behind only Darren McFadden.

WEAKNESSES: Will lower his pads to finish, but tends to run tall at times. Needs to do a better job at initial contact to keep his feet and break more tackles. Doesn't have explosive twitch to immediately separate from defenders in pursuit - can be caught from behind.

Average decision-making and tends to think too much, making one too many moves at times or not enough on other runs. Needs to improve his technique in pass protection and square to his target instead of launching his shoulder.

Ball security is a concern, always fighting for more yardage, but not always covering up consistently - 16 career fumbles (called out by Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema midway through the 2015 season due to his fumbling issues).

IN OUR VIEW: Collins was an ideal fit for Bielema's blueprint on offense with his light feet to make sharp cuts, but also his physical nature to welcome contact, finish forward and do most of his damage between the tackles. Collins is a physical runner, but needs to improve his pad level and ball security to be more reliable at the next level.

Although he won't consistently create on his own, Collins has an excellent blend of quickness, patience and power to get what is blocked for him and contribute as an NFL rookie.

What do you think about the Hawks drafting THREE running backs? I don't know much about them, but is the writing on the wall for Michael? Are the drafted RB's stellar special teams players?

What do you think about the Hawks drafting THREE running backs? I don't know much about them, but is the writing on the wall for Michael? Are the drafted RB's stellar special teams players?

Dammit, never mind. Didn't see the conversation in the risers/fallers thread until just now.

Driving home from work, I heard @Cecil Lammey on Chargers radio. He was asked to rank the teams in the AFC West, and he listed the Broncos first. As justification, he said it was a nod to their defense, which he claimed is among the best of all time. He said something like this: "It is the 85 Bears, the 2000 Ravens, and this Broncos defense as the greatest of all time. Sorry Seahawks fans, but your team isn't up there."

Aside from the fact that he omitted all great defenses from prior to 1985, my immediate reaction was that he was clearly wrong to include the current Broncos in that group but say the Seahawks do not belong. In 2015, the Seahawks allowed the fewest points for the 4th straight season, which was only accomplished once before, in the 50s (Browns). Meanwhile, during that 4 year stretch, they ranked as follows in fewest yards allowed: 4th, 1st, 1st, 2nd. Given that this is such a great offensive era, I would argue that this stretch for the Seahawks is likely the greatest 4 year stretch of defense in the history of the league.

It is fine for Cecil (and everyone) to have different opinions, but I was surprised that he took an unprovoked shot at Seattle's defense/fans, especially since IMO he is off base. More importantly, I am actually interested in where this Seahawks stretch really ranks in NFL history. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not shocking for a homer radio personality to promote his own team. Perhaps for Cecil who has a solid reputation, but in a moment of weakness I could see him letting that sense of homerism take over. 

Users who are viewing this thread