What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vacation to Playa del Carmen (1 Viewer)

Cold Dead Hands

Footballguy
My wife earned an incentive trip. We are going to stay at the Paradisus in Playa del Carmen in June. All inclusive. Same company as the resort we stayed last year in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. I have never been to Playa del Carmen. I would like to one day see some ruins but don't think I will be venturing off of resort property.

My wife earned an incentive trip. We are going to stay at the Paradisus in Playa del Carmen in June. All inclusive. Same company as the resort we stayed last year in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. I have never been to Playa del Carmen. I would like to one day see some ruins but don't think I will be venturing off of resort property.
hi CDH,

we ended up doing the chichen itza ruins. didn't think it was all that, not to mention you are quite a while in a bus full of people in the middle of nowhere in mexico. I kept waiting to become part of a liam neeson movie. overall, not too bad a trip. we did walk around off resort a bit without concern. there were a couple areas that we did turn around on, but for the most part pretty nice place IMO. 

Walk down to Mamita's Beach Club for beach and people watching.  You won't be disappointed.

You have to walk around town, shop and get some street tacos.  Stop at the Tequilla barrel and order a shot and a bucket of beers.  Don't forget the pharmacies, I always stock up on stuff like amoxicillin.

If you do decide to see some ruins on the cheap go to the bus station take a bus to Tulum, 45 minute ride.  It can be done in a half day trip.

The back side of Cozumel is worth a full day trip if you start early, ferry and then rent a scooter.

ETA:  Don't drink the water off the resort or order blended drinks or drinks with ice in them.  Don't eat salad off the resort or anything they might have washed with water.  And if you want to be 100% safe don't drink it there either always ask for bottled water.  I even brush my teeth with bottled water.  If you ever get sick you won't ever want to get that sick again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I stayed at Paradisus in Playa a little over a year ago.  It was awesome.  The hotel/grounds are immaculate.  The beach isn't spectacular, but the pools are unbelievable.  The food was hit or miss, but that's expected at an all inclusive.  I did more drinking than eating.  Make sure you check out the Michael Jackson show.

I dont get this. You travel all that way to an awesome area with really cool things to do and see, and you would rather sit by a pool and gorge yourself with cheap food and drinks? Rent a car, get up every day and eat a big breakfast at the resort, and then go explore for a few hours. Come back to the resort in plenty of time for dinner and drinks. The ruins are boring. Here are 4 awesome things to do in the area.

1. Tulum Bar Crawl - There is a 3 mile section of the beach here with some of the most funky, laid-back, awesome beach bars in the world. Choices range from bar-food and cheap beer to 5-star cuisine and $25 margaritas. Bonus - young and beautiful women walk up and down the beach topless.

2. Snorkeling in Yal Ku Lagoon. The last lagoon on the coast not turned into a mega-resort (its a state-park with minimal entry fee). Its a protected lagoon, so its always very calm and clear even on windy days. Reserve a palapa for an extra $20, its worth it.

3. Temple of Doom Cenote - Awesome swimming hole that will only cost you about $7 to get in and you'll likely have the whole pace to yourself. May seem a little sketchy paying some dude to walk into his backyard, but its really cool and a great photo-opp.

4. Fishing at Boca Pailla - Take a 7' travel rod and fish for monster jack cravelle in the surf or chase bonefish on the flats. Rent a guide if you must, or be adventurous and DIY. 

I dont get this.
A lot of people equate the drug lord boarder towns to all of Mexico.  Is the Temple of Doom the one where the owner has two monkeys chained up out front?  I thought for sure my passport and all my stuff was doing to be long gone when I came back out of there. 

A lot of people equate the drug lord boarder towns to all of Mexico.  Is the Temple of Doom the one where the owner has two monkeys chained up out front?  I thought for sure my passport and all my stuff was doing to be long gone when I came back out of there. 
The Riviera Maya isnt really "Mexico", its more like the Caribbean. Lol, dont remember seeing monkey's chained up, but wouldn't be surprised. There were tons of dogs and chickens. We did the Gran Cenote up the road (which I also recommend) and it was very organized and legit, but the Temple of Doom was definitely more "rustic".  :)

I dont get this. You travel all that way to an awesome area with really cool things to do and see, and you would rather sit by a pool and gorge yourself with cheap food and drinks? Rent a car, get up every day and eat a big breakfast at the resort, and then go explore for a few hours. Come back to the resort in plenty of time for dinner and drinks. The ruins are boring. Here are 4 awesome things to do in the area.

1. Tulum Bar Crawl - There is a 3 mile section of the beach here with some of the most funky, laid-back, awesome beach bars in the world. Choices range from bar-food and cheap beer to 5-star cuisine and $25 margaritas. Bonus - young and beautiful women walk up and down the beach topless.

2. Snorkeling in Yal Ku Lagoon. The last lagoon on the coast not turned into a mega-resort (its a state-park with minimal entry fee). Its a protected lagoon, so its always very calm and clear even on windy days. Reserve a palapa for an extra $20, its worth it.

3. Temple of Doom Cenote - Awesome swimming hole that will only cost you about $7 to get in and you'll likely have the whole pace to yourself. May seem a little sketchy paying some dude to walk into his backyard, but its really cool and a great photo-opp.

4. Fishing at Boca Pailla - Take a 7' travel rod and fish for monster jack cravelle in the surf or chase bonefish on the flats. Rent a guide if you must, or be adventurous and DIY. 
We went for my honeymoon three years ago and after a couple of days at the resort, we were so bored that we did exactly what you are suggesting: rented a car and started exploring.

We didn't do the things on your list, but we did go to the Tulum ruins, the Croco Cun Zoo, a public beach and cenote between Akumal and Tulum, and the town of Playa del Carmen.

We are going back in a little over a month.

We were warned that walking around Tulum would be incredibly hot - they were right.  Bring lots of water.

Snorkeling with turtles in Akumal was pretty cool and cheap too.

Did this with the wife before we got married. Yes, you will get bored staying on the grounds for the week.  Plus, you"ll be missing out on some potentially cool day trips.  We took one to see some Mayan ruins, zip lined through the jungle and were lowered down into an underground cenote where we tubed around for a bit.  It really added to the trip than just sitting at the pool bar trying toge ####faced on watered down drinks. Also went into town to dine at many of the fine local restaurants. Happened to go when the World Cup was on so it was extra fun to hang out at the local cantina and watch soccer while th mariachi band serenaded the table. Have a great trip!

I am not really planning to leave the resort for one reason. This is the one vacation my wife and I get without our three kids. In the DR last year I cashed in 3 or 4 times a day, lazed on the beach, swam, drank, ate and relaxed. I plan something similar this year. So essentially 15-20 times is usually accomplished in 4 months. 5 days to put in 4 months worth? I need my rest.

I've been down there for two incentive trips the last couple of years and totally get the mindset of just wanting to relax.  We are heading to Punta Cana in less than two weeks for this year's trip and I'm happy to switch it up.

Last year me and my wife did end up visiting this island nearby and renting a golf cart to get around which was fun.  We ended up swimming with dolphins which I highly recommend if you do get a bug to leave the resort.

I am not really planning to leave the resort for one reason. This is the one vacation my wife and I get without our three kids. In the DR last year I cashed in 3 or 4 times a day, lazed on the beach, swam, drank, ate and relaxed. I plan something similar this year. So essentially 15-20 times is usually accomplished in 4 months. 5 days to put in 4 months worth? I need my rest.
Don't sweat the haters. Different people want different things when they go away. That looks like a nice place. I've been to that area 9 or 10 times, though I've never stayed at your resort. If you DO decide to go off-property, the one thing I'd suggest is catching the ferry over to Cozumel and trundle around there for a day.

I don't know if you've ever been through Cancun's airport but, after you get through customs and before you get outside, you'll be approached by a bunch of people wanting to help. Ignore them - they're timeshare sharks.

Do you have private transport arranged from the airport to your resort? I've used AGI every time I've gone through Cancun and they are fantastic. I can shoot you more info if you're interested.

Enjoy!

Don't sweat the haters. Different people want different things when they go away. That looks like a nice place. I've been to that area 9 or 10 times, though I've never stayed at your resort. If you DO decide to go off-property, the one thing I'd suggest is catching the ferry over to Cozumel and trundle around there for a day.

I don't know if you've ever been through Cancun's airport but, after you get through customs and before you get outside, you'll be approached by a bunch of people wanting to help. Ignore them - they're timeshare sharks.

Do you have private transport arranged from the airport to your resort? I've used AGI every time I've gone through Cancun and they are fantastic. I can shoot you more info if you're interested.

Enjoy!
Most company incentive trips take care of your transportation to and from the airport to the resort

The resorts have shuttles to take you to downtown Playa.  It is a really cool town filled with tourists.  I would go during the day though.

heading to Iberostar Paraiso Beach this weekend

anyone been? is it okay to leave the resort with kids etc ? don't know what the Mexican cities are like & im sure an american baby goes for a lot down there on the black market

I have been there a bunch of times (6 - I think) and yes, you are ok to leave the resort with Kids. Just be smart, like you would in any strange place or big city.  Have fun!

Just got back last week. Stayed at the Iberostar Quetzal which is not far from where you are staying. I never felt unsafe at all.

VA703 said:

anyone been? is it okay to leave the resort with kids etc ? don't know what the Mexican cities are like & im sure an american baby goes for a lot down there on the black market
Yes, take the bus to Playa del Carmen for the Mexican/American Tourist Trap experience.

Haven't been to Playa del Carmen for some time, but have a friend who owns a house there. Never felt unsafe, but then I'm in the back country of Mexico a lot, speak the language, know how to interact, etc.

Don't be stupid - you'll be okay. Of course in the summer it can be like being wrapped up in a wet electric blanket on high heat - Septmeber through May is better.

VA703 said:

We stayed at the Iberostar Grand, which I think is next door and it was really nice. The grilled lobster tail station at lunch was effing ridiculous. All the food was fantastic, only thing that was a little meh was the beaches next to the hotel if you took a walk. I don't think we left the property, but we usually don't do many excursions (not as much as we did for honeymoon/younger days). I'm in the same boat as CDH, 3 kids and this is normally our escape into relaxation. I'm there to eat, drink (we go with friends usually) and get it on way more than usual.

Will second the ferry ride and making your way to the far side of Cozumel. The island is roughly football shaped and a road cuts right though the center (it's over 5 miles long so a scooter may not be the best choice depending on your sense of adventure). At the far end is a hang out bar. Nothing fancy just a good place to have a cold one and relax. I hear it's a beautiful place to catch a sunrise. Great place if you want to feel the ocean breeze and hear the crashing waves. IIRC I'd advise against swimming there as I think 'cuda are prevalent.  Regardless it's pretty rough surf. There's also a sculpture part on the north end if you're into photography.

Also second the swimming with dolphions, there's a number of places (on Cozumel that offer it). One of those lifetime memories for me.

The cruise ships have bought up almost all of the store fronts and shoved their trinkets and trash in there. No I do not want to buy the same crappy tshirt I've seen 10,000 other places today. The heckling isn't as bad on Cozumel as it was in Playa IMO. There was a lot of construction on the inner street which tend to have more local flavor and more variety.

trip was pretty awesome

didn't do many excursions. we did a day trip to 5th avenue bar hopped and had some good Mexican food. was going to do the catamaran to isla mujeres but the tropical storm ruined that for us. good weather overall just rough water

for being my first all inclusive hotel I wasn't disappointed. one thing i didn't like was they only guaranteed a few reservations at the a la carte restaurants depending on how many nights you were staying. so you either go to the buffet or go off campus and find food.

fresh mojitos were legit. im in vacation mode now so trying to find a destination for next year. i wanted to try Puerto rico but not finding too many all inclusive that look comparable to iberostar.

VA,

You didn't miss much on Ilsa Mujeres. VERY small island. So small that Golf carts are the main transportation for most.

I was pretty banged up when we were there (threw my back out getting outta the taxi at the hotel), and the weather was historically cold/windy, but it's certainly not a full week destination place if you like to go out and do things/explore. You're taking the ferry to Playa or Cozumel for most excursions, and as you experienced that's not always an option.

I get sea sick pretty easily and going to and coming back to catch our flights via the ferry was NOT enjoyable, lots of white caps.

looks like we are going in late july....our one week of the year sans kids...

booking thru costco there are a few all inclusive options...

any thoughts on Blue Diamond?...

The Royal in PdC is really nice - been there seven times.  Adults only, decent pool area and you get to use the restaurants across the street at the sister resort, with the only negatives being the beach and the shows are meh.

But for a high-end AI where it's a block from town, can't complain too much.

trip was pretty awesome

didn't do many excursions. we did a day trip to 5th avenue bar hopped and had some good Mexican food. was going to do the catamaran to isla mujeres but the tropical storm ruined that for us. good weather overall just rough water

for being my first all inclusive hotel I wasn't disappointed. one thing i didn't like was they only guaranteed a few reservations at the a la carte restaurants depending on how many nights you were staying. so you either go to the buffet or go off campus and find food.

fresh mojitos were legit. im in vacation mode now so trying to find a destination for next year. i wanted to try Puerto rico but not finding too many all inclusive that look comparable to iberostar.
VA;

Appreciate insights above, wife and I are headed to Iberostar in a month for a wedding.  Is there any additional tips you can provide?  I have never been to an All-inclusive so I am unsure of the whole process to ensure we have the best possible time.  For example I see you wrote about reservations for dinner and not having many seats guaranteed should calls be made early?  How does the whole tipping process work, is it recommended to tip to ensure best possible service?  Some of the reviews I am reading they say to provide a tips for cleaning staff as well as at the bar ot get the best service.  Also, you referenced a 5th avenue day trip, can you offer more insight on this?  My wife was thinking about heading into local area for some possible shopping, or is that frowned upon.

I appreciate any insight you can provide additionally.  I want to make this the best possible trip.

Nice list :hifive:

Last edited by a moderator:
We were warned that walking around Tulum would be incredibly hot - they were right.  Bring lots of water.

Snorkeling with turtles in Akumal was pretty cool and cheap too.
Tulum ruins are tiny... and has a beach. Not like you're in the Mojave desert.

IMO..

- go to Tulum- pretty stunning and easy trip to make.

- walk around PdC at least once- nice, active town that's boomed in the last 15years w tons of restaurants/bars/shops.

- go to a cenote... you won't see anything like them anywhere else.

- ferry to Cozumel where the water is insnaley clear and less seaweed... I've never had good luck with PdC water and beaches- always lots of seaweed and not clear.

Caveat- I'm not an AI type... I like to do my own thing and not be stuck with herds eating meh food and drink.

There are already a few threads about the area, at least one that was just bumped. Some good info in those.

VA;

Appreciate insights above, wife and I are headed to Iberostar in a month for a wedding.  Is there any additional tips you can provide?  I have never been to an All-inclusive so I am unsure of the whole process to ensure we have the best possible time.  For example I see you wrote about reservations for dinner and not having many seats guaranteed should calls be made early?  How does the whole tipping process work, is it recommended to tip to ensure best possible service?  Some of the reviews I am reading they say to provide a tips for cleaning staff as well as at the bar ot get the best service.  Also, you referenced a 5th avenue day trip, can you offer more insight on this?  My wife was thinking about heading into local area for some possible shopping, or is that frowned upon.

I appreciate any insight you can provide additionally.  I want to make this the best possible trip.
The reservations for the resort restaurant you usually make when you're checking in or shortly after. You cannot set a reservation before you check-in.

I think for every 2 days you are staying you will get 1 reservation but you can call the front desk every morning and see if anyone cancelled reservations and get on the list.

Hard to remember some of the dinners I was drinking all day but I believe the Mexican and Japanese were my favorites.

The shuttle we took to 5th avenue we booked from one of the front desk stations. I think it was $40 a person to and from. There's tons of shopping bars restaurants pharmacies down there so you can spend most of your day.

This was my first all inclusive. We usually hung around the same poolbar most of the time and just tip the guy every round 1 or 2 bucks no biggie. The draft on tap at the resort was dos equis amber and ale.

very clean resort, pools and landscaping were well taken care of. The 24/7 buffets wernt terrible and the menus changed daily.

im looking into iberostar Jamaica for my next trip

The reservations for the resort restaurant you usually make when you're checking in or shortly after. You cannot set a reservation before you check-in.

I think for every 2 days you are staying you will get 1 reservation but you can call the front desk every morning and see if anyone cancelled reservations and get on the list.

Hard to remember some of the dinners I was drinking all day but I believe the Mexican and Japanese were my favorites.

The shuttle we took to 5th avenue we booked from one of the front desk stations. I think it was $40 a person to and from. There's tons of shopping bars restaurants pharmacies down there so you can spend most of your day.

This was my first all inclusive. We usually hung around the same poolbar most of the time and just tip the guy every round 1 or 2 bucks no biggie. The draft on tap at the resort was dos equis amber and ale.

very clean resort, pools and landscaping were well taken care of. The 24/7 buffets wernt terrible and the menus changed daily.

im looking into iberostar Jamaica for my next trip
Thank you for your feedback.

Tulum ruins are tiny... and has a beach. Not like you're in the Mojave desert.

IMO..

- go to Tulum- pretty stunning and easy trip to make.

- walk around PdC at least once- nice, active town that's boomed in the last 15years w tons of restaurants/bars/shops.

- go to a cenote... you won't see anything like them anywhere else.

- ferry to Cozumel where the water is insnaley clear and less seaweed... I've never had good luck with PdC water and beaches- always lots of seaweed and not clear.

Caveat- I'm not an AI type... I like to do my own thing and not be stuck with herds eating meh food and drink.

There are already a few threads about the area, at least one that was just bumped. Some good info in those.
I would add the pyramid at Coba to that list.

Never seen that- looks great, and not as far as the big pyramids. Next time, for sure.
We've never gone to Chitchen Itza because the trip looks so miserable. Coba isn't too bad in a rental car though. It's maybe half an hour from Tulum. 

I climbed to the top of the big pyramid at Coba. I thought I might pass out from the heat, but it was worth it. The climb down was scary as #### though.

Afterwards we stopped at Cenote Car Wash and had a cool swim.  

bump.  Headed to Playa Del Carmen.   Looking for suggestions on local places to eat.  Staying at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba but dont want to stay on resort the whole time.  Also looking for a good tequila distillery or place with a good tequila selection.  Any recs on great local tequilla or mescal to bring back would be great.  Also any other suggestions would be most appreciated. 

bump.  Headed to Playa Del Carmen.   Looking for suggestions on local places to eat.  Staying at the Banyan Tree Mayakoba but dont want to stay on resort the whole time.  Also looking for a good tequila distillery or place with a good tequila selection.  Any recs on great local tequilla or mescal to bring back would be great.  Also any other suggestions would be most appreciated. 
There are a few threads about it. Here's one that's recent

Cancun isn't really a tequila making area.  You might find places that sell unique bottles or put on a tourist show maybe. 

Users who are viewing this thread