What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vacation to Playa del Carmen (1 Viewer)

Cancun isn't really a tequila making area.  You might find places that sell unique bottles or put on a tourist show maybe. 
Yea so i guess that means i wouldnt find tequila distilleries but maybe a mescal one?   Im open to either.  I do love GREAT tequila so looking for ideas of good ones to bring back.  Last time i went to puerta vallarta i found a local place with AMAZING tequila.  I have heard mescal is a little smokier too which is right up my alley. 

Yeah, but it sounds like he's more interested in a factory tour or something like that.
Yea.  My hotel has tastings.  If thats the best option i will just do that.  But i did a distillery tour once in puerta vallarta which was pretty cool.   Was curious if there were any places like that around here.   and more specifically what are good local options worth trying/buying.  I try to go local as opposed to on resort if i can. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea.  My hotel has tastings.  If thats the best option i will just do that.  But i did a distillery tour once in puerta vallarta which was pretty cool.   Was curious if there were any places like that around here.   and more specifically what are good local options worth trying/buying.
Tequila is made in Jalisco.  That's 1600 miles from Cancun.  Puerto Vallarta is in Jalisco.  

Right.  But Mezcal is made in all states right?
If this is really a key component of your vacation I would say to not go to Cancun/PDC.  This is not a major production area for either spirit.  (and not at all for tequila)  There may be some illegal Mezcal distilleries in the Cancun area or tourist demos but that's it.  I'm sure you can find some places to set you up with a large tasting of the good stuff, but as far as production you are in the wrong spot.

If this is really a key component of your vacation I would say to not go to Cancun/PDC.  This is not a major production area for either spirit.  (and not at all for tequila)  There may be some illegal Mezcal distilleries in the Cancun area or tourist demos but that's it.  I'm sure you can find some places to set you up with a large tasting of the good stuff, but as far as production you are in the wrong spot.
not a key component so its not a huge deal.  just wondering.  so you are saying the only distilleries would be illegal?  Guess im looking at finding a place that has a good selection then as opposed to a distillery.  Thanks!

Question for the people in this thread that have been to both Playa Del Carmen and Punta Cana. Which one did you prefer and would you go back again? Looking at early next year to get someplace warm and out of the Wisco winter.
I liked Punta Cana better. We have been to Punta Cana twice and Playa Del Carmen once. 

Question for the people in this thread that have been to both Playa Del Carmen and Punta Cana. Which one did you prefer and would you go back again? Looking at early next year to get someplace warm and out of the Wisco winter.
We went to the Dr once and never left the AI. Wasn't a fan of that specific experience at all relative to Mayan Riviera, where we've been lots.

I talked to the wife this morning as we walked at the gym. I told her from everything I've read is that if you go to one of the islands be prepared to not leave the resort due to unsafe conditions. While the Riviera Maya in general is pretty safe, hell probably safer than some U.S.cities. She's gone a few times before but has never made it to the ruins and wants to definitely hit them. So the next question is. Where do we stay?
Not sure your budget but banyan tree mayatoba was fantastic!!  

and i agree.  We Loved going into town and felt very safe.  Had some great meals which were amazingly cheap.  Visited ruins and Cenotes.  And just enjoyed wandering.

I talked to the wife this morning as we walked at the gym. I told her from everything I've read is that if you go to one of the islands be prepared to not leave the resort due to unsafe conditions. While the Riviera Maya in general is pretty safe, hell probably safer than some U.S.cities. She's gone a few times before but has never made it to the ruins and wants to definitely hit them. So the next question is. Where do we stay?
It's true. My family and I got murdered again staying in Cozumel. First robbed, then raped, then murdered. Again. You'd think we'd learn to stop going there every year.

We're going on the 20th... Can't wait.
Another amazing trip.

Hadn't realized that due to flight maneovering, the wife had booked us into an AI- the Fives Beach Resort near PdC before going to Cozumel.

Was completely surprised how good the food was, and all in all a decent spot with great service and nice rooms. Layout of the site was typical long and skinny with minimal beach frontage. Lots of pools, but many of them winding their way between buildings and in shade. Main pool by the ocean was packed. Supposedly monkeys in a mangrove forest on site, but never saw them.

Warning...this place is best for families only. Lots and lots of kids and active kids clubs.

Cozumel was typically awesome. We stay in the north (playa azul/Westin, where there's crystal clear water and snorkeling right out the door. Went to Punta Sur eco park (cruise ship destination, so we usually avoid) due to higher winds on our side of the island- was great. Didn't see any alligators and no snorkeling at all (clear water, but no wildlife), but had a great day lounging.

Can't wait to go back. And I guess get murdered/pillaged again.

Should also mention, this is literally the first time I've stayed in PdC or elsewhere on the Mayan Riviera in 15+ years and probably a dozen trips where it wasn't overrun with seaweed. Water quality still not as clear as Cozumel, but it didn't all stink of seaweed and you could get in the ocean with seeing too much of it.

We are headed back there in May, for a combo big round number birthday trip for me and anniversary trip. Staying at our favorite AI, which happens to practically be in Playa del Carmen. We’ll rent a car again and do stuff off resort, as we always have. Can’t wait.

Users who are viewing this thread