Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LionSlappy

Dynasty startup trade...

I can unload the 1.01 in s 12-team ppr dynasty startup for the 2.11, 3.02 and a 2017 first (rookie/FA draft). I will lose out on ODB but will stack 4 consecutive picks at 2/3 turn and get of the top 49 picks (plus an additional 1st next year). Opponent will get to start out with any combo of ODB/Hopkins/Julio. ???

It would depend on the number of starters at each position. If you start 6 between Rb/Wr plus a TE, then I would do it. If not studs are too valuable to move down that much. If he wanted to give you a 5th for your 7th on top of that then maybe. 

if you could pick a side would you rather have 2 of the top 2... or 4 of the top 28....

I feel like you should pass on this for a couple reasons. 1, in a start up, you are passing on 1 of 5 or 6 young cornerstone studs for what amounts to depth and maybe a shot at Fournette, Cook, Chubb. 2, you are giving an opponent a huge advantage by letting him build his team around 2 of OBJ, Nuk, Arob, Gurley, Bell, Gronk. Not only are you doing yourself a disservice, you are making a deal that could make your league no fun at all for 11 teams in the first few years.

I think that is a pretty crappy offer.  The team getting the 1.01 gets a leg up on everyone so it would seem probable that the rookie pick would be later.  Give me the premium player instead.

On 3/7/2016 at 4:43 PM, Pwingles said:

if you could pick a side would you rather have 2 of the top 2... or 4 of the top 28....

I feel like you should pass on this for a couple reasons. 1, in a start up, you are passing on 1 of 5 or 6 young cornerstone studs for what amounts to depth and maybe a shot at Fournette, Cook, Chubb. 2, you are giving an opponent a huge advantage by letting him build his team around 2 of OBJ, Nuk, Arob, Gurley, Bell, Gronk. Not only are you doing yourself a disservice, you are making a deal that could make your league no fun at all for 11 teams in the first few years.

Have to agree with #2 here.  I actually think the value you are getting is fair when you throw names in there.  Depending how the draft goes you could get some type of combo like Cam Newton, Randall Cobb and a 2017 1st.  Then say you draft Devonta Freeman and Lamar Miller with your other two picks in the top 25 and you have a solid base to build on.  But it's more about not giving an opponent both of the two best dynasty players.  That would throw the league balance off too much IMO

Thanks for all the awesome insight! The only thing I don't necessarily agree with are those posting issues such as worrying about the other owner's roster and league competitiveness. Although I agree I should not make this deal, it is not because I think it would upset the competitive balance of the league or make the other owner unstoppable. In dynasty or redraft I only make deals if it helps my team and don't even look at opponents situation. It is their job to evaluate if a particular trade improves their roster or not.  Since on the topic, however, this particular trade could go either way. Sure, the other owner would have the top two players of his choice, but not a pick again until the end of the fourth (47 overall) and would be sacrificing a bit of his future in the form of next year's first. In order to have a dominant roster that would  "throw the league balance off too much", this owner would really have to consistently hit on their mid-late round picks.  Most likely his squad would be centered around 2 studs and a bunch of role players, some good, some average.  I highly doubt he would be heads and shoulders ahead of everyone else, haha! To post that if I made this trade it would destroy the league is ubsurd tho!

3 hours ago, LionSlappy said:

Thanks for all the awesome insight! The only thing I don't necessarily agree with are those posting issues such as worrying about the other owner's roster and league competitiveness. Although I agree I should not make this deal, it is not because I think it would upset the competitive balance of the league or make the other owner unstoppable. In dynasty or redraft I only make deals if it helps my team and don't even look at opponents situation. It is their job to evaluate if a particular trade improves their roster or not.  Since on the topic, however, this particular trade could go either way. Sure, the other owner would have the top two players of his choice, but not a pick again until the end of the fourth (47 overall) and would be sacrificing a bit of his future in the form of next year's first. In order to have a dominant roster that would  "throw the league balance off too much", this owner would really have to consistently hit on their mid-late round picks.  Most likely his squad would be centered around 2 studs and a bunch of role players, some good, some average.  I highly doubt he would be heads and shoulders ahead of everyone else, haha! To post that if I made this trade it would destroy the league is ubsurd tho!

No one said it would destroy your league. But when one team starts out with Antonio Brown and Julio with a combined 46ppg and the next best two player combo is getting 34ppg I think the balance is disrupted a bit.  It's easier to piece together a supporting cast around studs these days so that 12 point advantage is pretty big imo. 

I don't think you said "destroy" the league, and I never said you said that...but you did say it would throw the balance of league off too much. 

My point was that I don't agree with that logic, that's all. You make trades if you think it will improve your team, not if it hurts or helps another persons team. I do not know that this trade necessarily helps my team, that is why I said no.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 10:50 AM, LionSlappy said:

I can unload the 1.01 in s 12-team ppr dynasty startup for the 2.11, 3.02 and a 2017 first (rookie/FA draft). I will lose out on ODB but will stack 4 consecutive picks at 2/3 turn and get of the top 49 picks (plus an additional 1st next year). Opponent will get to start out with any combo of ODB/Hopkins/Julio. ???

I traded out of the 1.1 pick recently in a startup. I ended up with his 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks while I gave up 1,9 and 10th. I liked my team after the trade and how it all shook out. That was a bout a month ago.....

23 hours ago, Poncho said:

I traded out of the 1.1 pick recently in a startup. I ended up with his 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks while I gave up 1,9 and 10th. I liked my team after the trade and how it all shook out. That was a bout a month ago.....

Who did you get with your picks and who did he get with his?

1 hour ago, steelers1080 said:

Who did you get with your picks and who did he get with his?

David Johnson at 2.7, Thomas Rawls at 3.7 and Aaron Rodgers at 4.6

He grabbed ODB, Desean Jackson and 2.1 rookie pick I believe