What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2016 and now 17 Cincy Bengals Thread *** (1 Viewer)

QuizGuy66

Footballguy
FA day a good a day as any to crank up this year's Who Dey thread :)

Well we were never going to be able to keep Marvin Jones with the price that he got.  Excellent resigning of Iloka at a reasonable price - $6m/year is a wonderful deal.  Feels like Sanu is gonna go as well so we have a definitely need at WR.  Will be interesting to see what kind of lower $ FA they bring in and ya gotta thing WR will be the pick in the first 2 rounds.  Hopefully with the money they have left they can get Pacman and Rey done.

Very very relieved at the Iloka news.  Nice to actually have some good free agency news on day 1 for once.

-QG

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you feel about promoting a career QB coach (13 years!) to OC? Impact of losing starting RT? Having the oldest starting LT in the league? Loss of WR2 and WR3? The OC is a huge red flag to me. Seems like the kind of thing people will gloss over, but in hindsight we might be asking ourselves how we missed that. Even if it isn't a disaster, people should not expect things to go unchanged from last year. The chances of a similar run/pass ratio or split between Gio/Hill is very unlikely considering it isn't like he's been tutored under Hue Jackson for his career. He only worked with Hue's offense for 2 years.

I'm not as concerned about the tackles. Ogbuehi should take over for Smith and Whitworth should survive another year, but still something to keep in mind. If the tackles don't hold up and the new offense doesn't pan out, things could deteriorate badly. Lafell is a serviceable WR2, but not as good as Jones. I'm expecting more pass attempts this year resulting in an increase in targets for Green and Eifert. No clue what to expect the RB split to look like.

I just want them to take Jaylon SMith if/when he falls.

Zampese is ready, they will lose some from Hue, but they won't always be as cute on offense.   Running the OT eligible play from inside the 5 on 1st and 2nd down is stale....

He might be the best CB in the league and we won't know until MAYBE 2017 more likely 2018. Absolutely do not agree it was a need pick. This year ( which is what fans of teams supposedly in SB contention should care about) he's the 4th corner and that's not including Shaw so probably 5th. 

This redshirting guys for future years crap is risking the primes of their studs. 3 years in a row now. 

I was not thrilled that the Bengals did not move up 2 or 3 spots to get a receiver, but I was also glad they did not reach for a wr they might not have wanted. Who knows what they had on their board and why they did not make a move up or down for that matter. William Jackson III is a solid player and a need pick. Not exciting, but solid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ed52KLps6U Highlights of Bengals 2016 1st round draft pick.
How would we have moved up 2 or 3 spots?  All of those teams took receivers.  We would have had to have moved up a minimum of 4 spots and more realistically 7 to get the guy we wanted.  That wouldn't have cheap.

In the modern NFL nickel is practically the base defense so having enough CB is important.  BPA - not sexy but we'll see what the 2nd round may bring in terms of a WR.

-QG

QuizGuy66 said:
How would we have moved up 2 or 3 spots?  All of those teams took receivers.  We would have had to have moved up a minimum of 4 spots and more realistically 7 to get the guy we wanted.  That wouldn't have cheap.

In the modern NFL nickel is practically the base defense so having enough CB is important.  BPA - not sexy but we'll see what the 2nd round may bring in terms of a WR.

-QG
Yes we should have moved up 4-7 spots. You know I respect your opinion a ton and I hate being the negative side. I really just hate this draft, this lack of aggressiveness, lack of creativity.  

If/when Dalton regresses this year throwing to weak WRs, I don't want to hear it. We have a 4th/5th string CB and LB (along with whatever comes of picks that could've been traded) to show for it. 

End of the day, there is only so much you can screw up a team with AJG/Dunlap/Geno/Burfict, but I'm way out on what they're doing. 

I like the Boyd pick. Every analyst describes him as sure-handed. Nothing is more frustrating as a fan as drops, so sure-handed sounds nice

Typical Tobin draft so far.  I think they have done well.  I think there are some long term concerns about the Dennard injury, so going CB was justifiable.  Boyd will be good.  The LB is a tackling machine and they are preparing for life after Rey M.   They need to hit on a DT that can at least fill a rotational spot this year and the boys will be fine. 

Agree with DT. I'd like Braverman or someone for slot or even Thomas/Garrett to compete with Boyd. 

Typical Tobin draft so far.  I think they have done well.  I think there are some long term concerns about the Dennard injury, so going CB was justifiable.  Boyd will be good.  The LB is a tackling machine and they are preparing for life after Rey M.   They need to hit on a DT that can at least fill a rotational spot this year and the boys will be fine. 
I'd say they did ok there.

Bengals pretty much nailed it. Primary needs IMO were all addressed with WR (2nd & 6th), DT (4th), CB (1st) & OG or C (5th). I initially wasn't enamored with the Jackson III pick but in hind sight I was wrong. No way the Bengals move up 4-7 slots in the first to grab a WR. One, there were still 3 good WRs available and by most projections Washington wasn't going to take a WR. I think that surprised a lot of people including the Bengals. Two, the cost to move up that far very well could have come at the expense of Billings or Westerman. No thanks.  Love that they also didn't reach to fill any positions. If anything they got value over where their pick was most of the time esp with Billings and Westerman. The only pick I question is Virgil and that isn't as much because of his talent as that we could have taken him later (by most projections).

The Bengals have nailed the draft for several years running and obviously have a great system and personal in place. Credit goes to many but Duke Tobin is the main cog in place that is helping the Bengals to hit home runs year after year.

P.S. I went up for the draft. Other than the really crappy weather on Sat pretty good time.  :thumbup:

Bengals have been hit with the injury bug so far, especially with their new additions. Eifert, Jackson, Billings, Ogbuehi, Core, Lafell (hopefully minor). 

I am really bummed about the Billings injury. I was expecting some really good things playing next to Geno this year and hopefully showing Peko the door. 

Losing Sanu and Jones is going to hurt this year, but i like what ive seen from Boyd so far. Eifert getting healthy and staying healthy this year is going to be really important for this offense to have success. Take some pressure off AJ. I dont know if Lafell is the answer. 

I like having McCarron as a safety play, not many teams have that luxury. 

Most of a really good defense is back from last year besides Reggie Nelson. I think Shawn Williams is going to be able to step in and make plays. I really like the addition and veteran leadership of Dansby. The William Jackson isnt as bad as it could be with all our depth at CB. According to reports, Geno is looking better than ever, Hopefully Michael Johnson can return to 2012 form, Love George Iloka, especially on that cheap deal, and of course Dunlap, Pacman, and Burfict need to keep doing what they have been doing. 

I think it is step up or step out type years for Margus Hunt and Dre Kirkpatrick and to a certain extent Dennard. 

Please cut Brandon Tate. Im so sick of his punt/kick returns.

I dont know if last nights 1st team offense played really well or the Lions defense played terrible. Maybe a little bit of both. 

Im liking Boyd more and more. He has a great opportunity to succeed right out of the gate. 

I dont think Margus Hunt is a NFL caliber player. Kirkpatrick got burned by Marvin more than once. Pretty disappointing, hopefully its only because its preseason. 

This is going to be pointless and will not contain any relevant info for non-bengals fans. It is a love manifesto. Leave if you aren't into it.

Disclaimer: I am a displaced fan, so I am not as in tune with the team and local buzz as I could be. I have watched most of both of their preseason games so far. And, I hate to say it, but they look focused and determined and like the best team I have seen yet. I know its only preseason, and they haven't even faced a real AFC opponent. I also realize all of the changes that have befallen their WR corps, the coaching staff, and the aging nature of their lines. But, this is a battle tested, playoff ready team, with multiple years of bitter defeats still resting on their tongues like last nights cigarettes and this morning's bile. They look determined.  I am pretty excited. 

They have plenty of playmakers on offense. (Dalton, Green, Bernard, Hill, Eifert once he returns, and dare I say an emerging Boyd)  They'll be fine.  The defense is still getting better. They will win games with defense this year.  The offense is more than enough to keep them on the winning end until they are healthy and fully developed. 

I am half expecting them to completely suck this next tuneup game, just to level-set my expectations. But, god I want them to be good again. We deserve a ####### season long hype train, it'll never happen. But I can dream. That is all.

@Timmay  Marvin is good. But Kirkpatrick does need to get better.

Anyone still worried that it might be more than minor for AJG?

I hope not, I have him in a lot of leagues. Just playing devils advocate.

ponza88 said:

The Bengals are one of, if not the most deceptive teams when it comes to injuries.

ponza88 said:

He was just interviewed on the sideline and said he's fine, doesn't look like a player with a severe knee injury. 

Bengals started off really slow in the 1st quarter, but turned it around after that blocked FG attempt. 

The run game was non existent. Hill only had 9 carriers, Gio only 5. 

Dalton looked good, nice poise in the pocket, even though he got his butt kicked for most of the day. 7 sacks given up. 

AJ Green is a beast and burned Revis all day. He could of even had another TD and more yards if he didnt lose his balance on the sideline. He had nothing but green space. 

I liked what I saw from Lafell and Uzomah.

Defense put pressure on Fitzy basically all day, but only saw 1 sack out of it. Fitzy had a lot of pressured throws and scrambles. Forte was killing it on those broken plays turned into RB screens. We need to do a better job at containing the RB on those types of plays.

One more thing. AJ Green  :shock:   :thumbup:

Bump to see if any other Bengals FBGs plan to make the game on Monday Night at the Meadowlands (besides Cheese).

Still working on snagging a ticket of my own but figure maybe there could be a pregame cornhole

-QG

Yes we should have moved up 4-7 spots. You know I respect your opinion a ton and I hate being the negative side. I really just hate this draft, this lack of aggressiveness, lack of creativity.  

If/when Dalton regresses this year throwing to weak WRs, I don't want to hear it. We have a 4th/5th string CB and LB (along with whatever comes of picks that could've been traded) to show for it. 

End of the day, there is only so much you can screw up a team with AJG/Dunlap/Geno/Burfict, but I'm way out on what they're doing. 
Going to stick by this.  You can't go into a season with so few dangerous weapons on offense.  We've actually done a decent job with smoke and mirrors, but with AJ down, even that will be tough. 

They had better hope that all these picks they spent on guys like Dennard and Jackson fix the defense the next few years (count me as skeptical) because we're already looking at needing to fix the OLine and needing almost an entire depth chart's worth of WRs.

So given that the Pats are asking for a 1st+4th for JG and the Bengals are currently looking at an extensive list of things that need fixed, should we be shopping AJM?

Just an FYI Bengal fans. I think Seattle's top target in free agency will be Zeitler. Seattle has enormous cap space. Do you think Cincy will overpay to keep him?

The Bengals tend not to overpay to keep people - but they also tend to actually pay the money in the contract (they don't use the cap tricks other teams use to make an artificially high number that is backloaded).  Zeitler should be a priority and the Bengals have the room to pay him.  Will they though?  I am nervous they won't. Which would be a disaster.

-QG

I think they'll try to pay Zeitler. We already have too many other holes and have plenty of cash space.  If it were up to me, I'd prioritize both he and Whit over Dre.  I'm sure there is a limit though where Seattle could outbid us.  

Ugh this offseason.  Pretty much a disaster.  Gotta hope Ced proves us wrong.  Losing Burkhead was needless and stupid.  This season is gonna probably be bad enough so I'm not gonna bother with a new thread.  Title change coming.

-QG

Ugh this offseason.  Pretty much a disaster.  Gotta hope Ced proves us wrong.  Losing Burkhead was needless and stupid.  This season is gonna probably be bad enough so I'm not gonna bother with a new thread.  Title change coming.

-QG
You're not excited about Andre Smith re-signing?  :loco: :X

Users who are viewing this thread