What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Driving Situation (1 Viewer)

Who's in the wrong?

• Tailgater

Votes: 121 68.4%
  • Brake Checker

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • Both

Votes: 47 26.6%

• Total voters
I went tailgater.  I hate when someone tailgates me like that.  True, if I'm in the left lane at any speed and someone gets on my butt like that, I move over.  But in general, if you're going to ride right on my ###, be ready for the short brake.  Guy shouldn't have been riding his tail like that.  I assume after his pretty nasty crash, he won't be tailgating like that again anytime soon.  Lesson learned.

Yup, both.  

Left-lane slow driver should have moved-over and tailgater shouldn't have been that close.

I'd say both but tailgater is more wrong. Part of driving safely (especially on the highway) is leaving enough space between you and the car in front of you to brake safely should you need to suddenly. 

Further, guy in passing lane might have been there to let the on ramp traffic to merge in and was planning to get back over as soon as it was safe to do. 

#### the tailgater. 

Yup, both.  

Left-lane slow driver should have moved-over and tailgater shouldn't have been that close.
While this is true.  Left laner was passing vehicles and allowing the merge lane to enter the highway at time of the incident

I'd say both but tailgater is more wrong. Part of driving safely (especially on the highway) is leaving enough space between you and the car in front of you to brake safely should you need to suddenly. 

Further, guy in passing lane might have been there to let the on ramp traffic to merge in and was planning to get back over as soon as it was safe to do. 

#### the tailgater. 
:goodposting:

Tailgater and it's not remotely close. 

Yes slow low left lane guy is annoying. No question. But tailgater guy is reckless.  Reckless accident causing ####### is way worse than annoying guy. 

The tailgater.

The slow guy in the left lane was justified being in the left lane due to the merging traffic from the right.  

I will also say I bet the tailgater didn't learn their lesson.  Driving is as much a philosophy as it is a series of lessons.  Tailgaters philosophy is 'get out of my way'.  Arrogance.  They will justify how it was the other persons fault.

crazy that is on highway 41 in appleton and people do drive like crap up there well mostly the fibs that come in to wisco but anyhow the tailgater is totally wrong for riding on his butt and the guy in the left is not wrong for being in the left since traffic was merging on but the guy on the left should not have done the brake job thing take that to the bank bromigos and also fibs just stay home thanks in advance 

It's always the trailing car's fault per the rules of the road - way too aggressive there by the tailgater. And to boot, the guy in the left line couldn't have moved over for some time with one car entering the road and another just on his right.

crazy that is on highway 41 in appleton and people do drive like crap up there well mostly the fibs that come in to wisco but anyhow the tailgater is totally wrong for riding on his butt and the guy in the left is not wrong for being in the left since traffic was merging on but the guy on the left should not have done the brake job thing take that to the bank bromigos and also fibs just stay home thanks in advance 
Been on that road a ton (In-laws in Shawano). That is a speedy 2 lane road with exits in bunches. There is also a lot of semi traffic on there which can make drivers nervous.

Also filled with Packer-fans, so... (Go Bears!  :scared: )

Pretty clear that tailgater did not leave himself enough room to apply his brakes without losing control of his vehicle. As a defensive driver, you have to allow for someone braking no matter the reason.  He clearly didn't so he's a bag of #####.

Tailgater. If you are going to do the "I'm going to drive up your ### to get you out of the way" move you have to be ready for the brake tap. 

Road Rage 101.

In the video the tailgater had no right pushing left lane guy (because he was over there avoiding merging cars). But you never know - he could have been sitting over there for miles. 

Still, this is 90/10 tailgate guy. 

Tailgater 100%.  As already stated first guy had every right to be in the left lane at that time because of the merging traffic in the right lane.  Then, the first guy so courteously braked in order to move safely into the right lane to the king of the road could move through.  King of the road should have given himself 1/8 of an inch more room and he would have been fine.

Tailgater and it's not remotely close. 

Yes slow low left lane guy is annoying. No question. But tailgater guy is reckless.  Reckless accident causing ####### is way worse than annoying guy. 
No question tailgating is reckless.  So too is brake checking someone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brake checker puts on his signal to get back over right after his move.  I wonder if he was doing so intending to stop and to check on the welfare of the tailgater, or whether he had another reason.

No question tailgating is reckless.  So to is brake checking someone.
Yes. But a brake check is not any more dangerous than an actual braking situation. What if there was a deer, or another car swerved in front of left lane guy?  He hits his brakes, tailgater is too close, ends up in ditch. 

I will confess I've brake checked before (although even more satisfying is the downshift maneuver with manual transmission) and it usually only gets the tailgater more pissed and agressive. 

Yes. But a brake check is not any more dangerous than an actual braking situation. What if there was a deer, or another car swerved in front of left lane guy?  He hits his brakes, tailgater is too close, ends up in ditch. 

I will confess I've brake checked before (although even more satisfying is the downshift maneuver with manual transmission) and it usually only gets the tailgater more pissed and agressive. 
It also endangers you if the tailgater is less than alert. 

Yup, both.  

He was in the left lane to let the vehicle merge.  Tailgater should've given him time to move back over...he was impatient and got burned.

While I voted tailgater that brake check came close to causing a head on collision involving an innocent person coming from the other direction.  Pretty crappy to potentially ruin someone's life just to prove a point.

While I voted tailgater that brake check came close to causing a head on collision involving an innocent person coming from the other direction.  Pretty crappy to potentially ruin someone's life just to prove a point.
This is where I am.  Tailgater is being a real jerk, but if the brake checker moves over, this whole thing is forgotten about.  By brake checking, he elevated the situation and potentially caused a head on collision with an innocent person *when he didn't need to*.  I'm almost more mad at the brake checker here.

This is where I am.  Tailgater is being a real jerk, but if the brake checker moves over, this whole thing is forgotten about.  By brake checking, he elevated the situation and potentially caused a head on collision with an innocent person *when he didn't need to*.  I'm almost more mad at the brake checker here.
Must have missed the merging lane, which is likely why he was in the left lane. Brake checker couldn't move over and tailgaiter should have given a bit more room until they passed the merge lane.

Both are at least partially at fault.

But don't tailgate if you can't handle a brake check.  You come at the king, you best not miss.

Brake checker puts on his signal to get back over right after his move.  I wonder if he was doing so intending to stop and to check on the welfare of the tailgater, or whether he had another reason.
1)  I hear the Mortal Kombat "Finish him!" when I read that.

2)  I've unintentionally brake-checked a tailgater before.  I didn't realize someone was on top of me, look in the rearview, and tapped the brakes when I noticed because I was startled.

3)  Can't believe this is the first time I had to google a word that SWC used:  FIB, not up on the Sconny lingo.  I took it to the google bank and they cashed it brohan.

Yup, both.  

No, just the tailgater is at fault here 

I agree that the slow driver should not be in the left hand lane but they were going by an exit with cars merging. It's courtesy and normal procedure to move into the left lane for a minute in order to let the cars in. Then they eventually move back over to the right lane.

3)  Can't believe this is the first time I had to google a word that SWC used:  FIB, not up on the Sconny lingo.  I took it to the google bank and they cashed it brohan.
Next to cheese curds, the gratuitous use of the acronym FIB by its denizens is my favorite thing about the state of Wisconsin.

I'd say brake checking is a much dumber move than tailgating. Sure, the tailgater initiated the dangerous situation but the brake checker had an opportunity make the situation safer by simply moving over. Instead, this idiot's ego got in the way and he made the situation 1000 times more dangerous for everyone else on the road. F 'em both. 

Assigning % of fault:

95% Tailgaiter: Riding up someone at 65-70 mph with zero braking distance is highly, highly dangerous. Be more patient, you are putting everyone around you at danger driving recklessly. 

5% Brake Checker: Mostly everyone agrees with you, but you still unnecessarily hit your brakes when there was nothing in front of you. If you did this to "prove a point", are you satisfied now? People could have died, not necessarily just the tailgaiter.

Assigning % of fault:

95% Tailgaiter: Riding up someone at 65-70 mph with zero braking distance is highly, highly dangerous. Be more patient, you are putting everyone around you at danger driving recklessly. 

5% Brake Checker: Mostly everyone agrees with you, but you still unnecessarily hit your brakes when there was nothing in front of you. If you did this to "prove a point", are you satisfied now? People could have died, not necessarily just the tailgaiter.
But maybe the brake checker actually SAVED lives because the tail gater will now be less inclined to tailgate in the future...

That's deep.

How do we KNOW it was unnecessary? Maybe he saw an object in the road, or thought he did. If the other guy wasn't driving too close, he too would've been able to react appropriately and avoid wrecking himself.

Yup, both.  

I'd agree if the right lane was open. But there was a car entering the highway. In this situation tailgater should have recognized that and backed off.

How do we KNOW it was unnecessary? Maybe he saw an object in the road, or thought he did. If the other guy wasn't driving too close, he too would've been able to react appropriately and avoid wrecking himself.
This was my thought too.  Some people brake when looking over their shoulder to check the blind spot and that may be what happened, especially because the driver changed lanes right after.  

Tailgaters are the worst people.  

If you watch closely, he wanted to make an illegal u-turn like that other video posted here recently and braked suddenly to do so.  This is a trick question!!

It is also illegal to "brake check".  
I'll be damned!

We’ve all done it, or had it done to us.  One car is tailgating another and the front car slams on his brakes to back the second car off.  What you may not know is that this tailgate stopping action can lead to both civil and criminal assault charges and can block the front driver from any injury recovery if it actually leads to an accident.

They're obviously really stupid.
Agreed, but that wasn't exactly a very graceful reflex.  Reminds a bit of this:

EDaoQ.gif

Users who are viewing this thread