What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Car Guys - Strange Thing Started Yesterday with Electronics (1 Viewer)

russinfortworth

Footballguy
Driving to work yesterday (4th day of rain I might add) and all of a sudden the radio just turns off.  Then about 5 seconds later all the dash warning indicators flash on and off...........then the radio comes back on.  Does not happen the rest of the trip to work (45 minutes) or on the drive home last night.

Then this morning at approximately the same point in my drive, the radio goes off, and JUST the brake warning light goes on and off.  Does not happen the rest of the way to work until I pull in the parking lot and the radio goes off for 1-2 seconds.

Obviously an electrical issue, do you think it is related to the rain / humidity that we've had over the last 4 days, or is it just some type of short/ground or fuse going out?

Any danger in not getting this fixed immediately.  Car is going into shop in a couple of weeks for new struts/shocks while we are out of town, so if I can put off until then, it would be great.

thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a "car guy" but sure, anytime the electrical if flaking out, it could be dangerous to hold off. Cars today are all run on electronics so I would assume, without knowing what caused this issue, the car could simply die at any point. What type of car is it? 

3C's said:
Check for a loose or corroded battery cable.
Just had this happen to me. The radio would shut off and reboot about every 3rd time I drove it and I noticed the dash lights would occasionally flicker. Went out one morning and dead as a doorknob, no lights, no clicking, no nothing. Checked the battery cables at the battery and while they appeared fine one of them had an extremely slight amount of play in it. Took it off, cleaned it, reinstalled, and drove away like a new car.

Apparently over time the cable bolt had slightly loosened allowing the cable to momentarily break contact with the battery terminal. While driving it vibrated enough that it would stay in contact 99% of the time, but that one time I parked it must have been in the 1%.

Yep... MOST of the time gremlins surface, it's a battery issue. If connections are sound, have the battery tested. 

i had similar problems with an old vega and it ended up being that the car was a gigantic pile of crap take that to the bank bromigo 

The most unusual thing to me is that it happened 2 days in a row in approximately the same location. As long as there is no safety related risk to you, I would drive the same route/time to see if it's repeatable as the OP suggests. 

The most unusual thing to me is that it happened 2 days in a row in approximately the same location. As long as there is no safety related risk to you, I would drive the same route/time to see if it's repeatable as the OP suggests. 
Or stop by a Fortune Teller instead of utilizing science. 

Users who are viewing this thread