What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Martavis Bryant ONE YEAR SUSPENSION (1 Viewer)

Soulfly3

Footballguy
Appealing currently, per Rappaport

#Steelers WR Martavis Bryant is appealing his yearlong suspension for violating @NFL substance abuse policy. CBA spells it out clearly tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Too bad that medical science hasn't advanced enough to cut into some of these guys brains and massage common sense. Amazing opportunity slipping away. 

Next 12 months:

Goodell is a Nazi

Weed should be legal

LOL he so stupid

Buy low

This guy will never get it

Trading for him is the shark move

The steelers have brought some free agents back that they lost in previous seasons - but I doubt they bring Wallace back.  Wallace seems too selfish to come back under the right circumstances for the team.

"Hey you are going to make millions , only thing is you can't smoke weed"

Seriously these morons can't grasp this concept 

Think I'll just avoid all these guys who get the shorter suspension for violation of the substance abuse policy. Seems like most of them always end up here with the full season suspension shortly after. May or may not be true, but at least recently in the cases of Bryant, Gordon, and Blackmon. 

In the latest FBG WR dynasty rankings before this came out, Bryant was ranked #14 #20 #14 #19 by my colleagues, and #39 by me.  Why so low?  My yellow note attached said this:  "Had a 4 game suspension at the start of 2015 for substance abuse.  Now one strike away from a year long substance abuse ban, holding his ranking down."  That note was dated Feb. 25.

This isn't to pat myself on the back (well, maybe a little) but to stress to people that we can't just look at upside when drafting or trading for players (or ranking them), we have to understand and factor in the risks.  There was no way with his history he was a top-15-20 value in my mind.  Remember, to get a 4 game ban last year he had to have already failed two previous times.

So now he's gone for a year, and people who think they are sharks are going to 'buy low,' but consider that this is not the same as a one year injury.  Nothing has indicated he will turn things around, but instead the opposite.  Right now he is a lot closer to being the next out-of-football-permanently guy than a buy low value.  Blackmon anyone?  How many thought they were sharks buying low on him?  Yes, Bryant may make it back and have value someday, but I'm not going to assume something that is the opposite of what the facts have shown so far.

Houston turmOiler said:
Think I'll just avoid all these guys who get the shorter suspension for violation of the substance abuse policy. Seems like most of them always end up here with the full season suspension shortly after. May or may not be true, but at least recently in the cases of Bryant, Gordon, and Blackmon. 
This is probably sound advice especially when I think it takes 4 failed marijuana tests to get your first suspension and before you even get suspended you get fined 2 and 4 games for the second and third failed tests, at least I think that's how it worked. Probably more of a pipe dream or a hope than realistic expectation that someone who got themselves in this situation is going to alter their behavior anytime soon.

Still a little puzzled however on stages for marijuana suspensions. I thought the next stage from a 4 game suspension was a 10 game suspension?

So whats his value now. If you were trading for him and had a willing partner, what kind of draft pick is he currently worth? 2nd round pick maybe?

In the latest FBG WR dynasty rankings before this came out, Bryant was ranked #14 #20 #14 #19 by my colleagues, and #39 by me.  Why so low?  My yellow note attached said this:  "Had a 4 game suspension at the start of 2015 for substance abuse.  Now one strike away from a year long substance abuse ban, holding his ranking down."  That note was dated Feb. 25.

This isn't to pat myself on the back (well, maybe a little) but to stress to people that we can't just look at upside when drafting or trading for players (or ranking them), we have to understand and factor in the risks.  There was no way with his history he was a top-15-20 value in my mind.  Remember, to get a 4 game ban last year he had to have already failed two previous times.

So now he's gone for a year, and people who think they are sharks are going to 'buy low,' but consider that this is not the same as a one year injury.  Nothing has indicated he will turn things around, but instead the opposite.  Right now he is a lot closer to being the next out-of-football-permanently guy than a buy low value.  Blackmon anyone?  How many thought they were sharks buying low on him?  Yes, Bryant may make it back and have value someday, but I'm not going to assume something that is the opposite of what the facts have shown so far.
I think he's closer to #39 than #14 without the off the field issues.. Far too many talented WRs around the league to pay top end WR2 price for a guy that has proven to be inconsistent and will always be boom/bust proposition.  

The off the field issues just made it all the more easier to not own him anywhere.

So whats his value now. If you were trading for him and had a willing partner, what kind of draft pick is he currently worth? 2nd round pick maybe?
I guess if I owned Manziel, I might trade him for Bryant.  But of course I'd never own Manziel.  And I sure as hell would never flush a 2nd down the toilet for Bryant.

Thank you for this Bryant. First, one less "mouth to feed" for Green. Also, it s new a wake up call to Gordon. Win win.

I think he's closer to #39 than #14 without the off the field issues.. Far too many talented WRs around the league to pay top end WR2 price for a guy that has proven to be inconsistent and will always be boom/bust proposition.  

The off the field issues just made it all the more easier to not own him anywhere.
It doesn't surprise me to read that from you, since I agree with the vast majority of your posts and think you have a good handle on things.  I think though that if you do a survey of dynasty rankings from a number of sites you'll find that Bryant (before this news) has consistently been ranked a top-20 dynasty WR.  You don't agree with it, I don't agree with it, but there it is.

I own him everywhere ...

What a moron.  Put the pipe down man.  We are talking about millions of dollars you are loosing.  Idiot.

It doesn't surprise me to read that from you, since I agree with the vast majority of your posts and think you have a good handle on things.  I think though that if you do a survey of dynasty rankings from a number of sites you'll find that Bryant (before this news) has consistently been ranked a top-20 dynasty WR.  You don't agree with it, I don't agree with it, but there it is.
Wow after the fact jacks! Listen, if you ranked him #39 based on suspension risk that is fine and makes sense but don't think it was really necessary to come pat yourself on the back about it but whatever floats your boat. But contending that he's the #39 ranked dynasty WR based on talent and having nothing to do with suspension risks is not someone who has a good handle on things.

Wow after the fact jacks! Listen, if you ranked him #39 based on suspension risk that is fine and makes sense but don't think it was really necessary to come pat yourself on the back about it but whatever floats your boat. But contending that he's the #39 ranked dynasty WR based on talent and having nothing to do with suspension risks is not someone who has a good handle on things.

Per Febuary ADP

Overall

Pos

WR

Name

Odell Beckham Jr.

ADP

WR

Antonio Brown

WR

Julio Jones

WR

DeAndre Hopkins

WR

Amari Cooper

WR

Allen Robinson

WR

AJ Green

WR

Dez Bryant

WR

Mike Evans

WR

Demaryius Thomas

WR

Alshon Jeffery

WR

Sammy Watkins

WR

Keenan Allen

WR

Brandin Cooks

WR

Randall Cobb

WR

Martavis Bryant

WR

Jarvis Landry

WR

Jordan Matthews

WR

TY Hilton

WR

Calvin Johnson

WR

Devante Parker

WR

Donte Moncrief

WR

Julian Edelman

WR

Kevin White

WR

Kelvin Benjamin

WR

Michael Floyd

WR

Dorial Green-Beckham

WR

Jeremy Maclin

WR

Jordy Nelson

WR

Brandon Marshall

WR

Emmanuel Sanders

WR

Allen Hurns

WR

John Brown

WR

Stefon Diggs

WR

Josh Gordon

WR

Eric Decker

WR

Tyler Lockett

WR

Breshad Perriman

WR

Golden Tate

WR

Devin Funchess

WR

Davante Adams

WR

Nelson Agholor

WR

Doug Baldwin

I've italicized the WRs I think I'd take over Bryant in a startup..  It gets closer to 39 than you think. 

I didn't say that.  I had him ranked #39 based on talent reduced by knucklehead risk.  Wow, you seem awfully upset for some reason.

I didn't say that.  I had him ranked #39 based on talent reduced by knucklehead risk.  Wow, you seem awfully upset for some reason.
I am fully aware of why you said you had him ranked #39 and said I had no problem with that but you agreed with someone who said they had him ranked closer to #39 having NOTHING to do with knucklehead factor. That's the part I had issue with and still do. And please stop the BS of trying to say I seem upset because I don't agree with that opinion or your need to go around parading that you had him ranked #39 due to this risk.

Per Febuary ADP

Overall

Pos

WR

Name

Odell Beckham Jr.

ADP

WR

Antonio Brown

WR

Julio Jones

WR

DeAndre Hopkins

WR

Amari Cooper

WR

Allen Robinson

WR

AJ Green

WR

Dez Bryant

WR

Mike Evans

WR

Demaryius Thomas

WR

Alshon Jeffery

WR

Sammy Watkins

WR

Keenan Allen

WR

Brandin Cooks

WR

Randall Cobb

WR

Martavis Bryant

WR

Jarvis Landry

WR

Jordan Matthews

WR

TY Hilton

WR

Calvin Johnson

WR

Devante Parker

WR

Donte Moncrief

WR

Julian Edelman

WR

Kevin White

WR

Kelvin Benjamin

WR

Michael Floyd

WR

Dorial Green-Beckham

WR

Jeremy Maclin

WR

Jordy Nelson

WR

Brandon Marshall

WR

Emmanuel Sanders

WR

Allen Hurns

WR

John Brown

WR

Stefon Diggs

WR

Josh Gordon

WR

Eric Decker

WR

Tyler Lockett

WR

Breshad Perriman

WR

Golden Tate

WR

Devin Funchess

WR

Davante Adams

WR

Nelson Agholor

WR

Doug Baldwin

I've italicized the WRs I think I'd take over Bryant in a startup..  It gets closer to 39 than you think. 
Thanks for response and I'll keep saying if you are factoring in this suspension risk I agree with the low ranking. There is a reason I owned him all over in redraft leagues last year but have never owned him in dynasty, that suspension risk was to high for his price tag.

But if the suspension was not an issue and I was just basing his ranking on talent he would be top 20 for me.

I am fully aware of why you said you had him ranked #39 and said I had no problem with that but you agreed with someone who said they had him ranked closer to #39 having NOTHING to do with knucklehead factor. That's the part I had issue with and still do. And please stop the BS of trying to say I seem upset because I don't agree with that opinion or your need to go around parading that you had him ranked #39 due to this risk.
You have issue with me not liking Martavis Bryant, backing it with a reasoned post and then highlighting the plethora of WRs I'd rather have before this suspension?

I was agreeing with him in that I wouldn't have had him top 20 regardless of drug use risk. 

Sorry you don't like me "parading" my ranking, but as I said in my 1st post it was to stress the importance of looking at risk, something most ignore.

Have a nice day.

Thanks for response and I'll keep saying if you are factoring in this suspension risk I agree with the low ranking. There is a reason I owned him all over in redraft leagues last year but have never owned him in dynasty, that suspension risk was to high for his price tag.

But if the suspension was not an issue and I was just basing his ranking on talent he would be top 20 for me.
I've been pretty vocal about my contrarian view of Bryant as a football player, not factoring in his off the field stuff.  There are so many good WRs that can run a full route tree, not get lost for quarters and games and who are a higher priority on their own teams depth chart.     

I've been pretty vocal about my contrarian view of Bryant as a football player, not factoring in his off the field stuff.  There are so many good WRs that can run a full route tree, not get lost for quarters and games and who are a higher priority on their own teams depth chart.     
You have issue with me not liking Martavis Bryant, backing it with a reasoned post and then highlighting the plethora of WRs I'd rather have before this suspension?
That's fine and we'll agree to disagree on the talent which I think is off the charts and easily top 20.

I do however agree his ranking should never have been that high in the first place because I don't think his suspension risk was properly being put into his price. I never made a trade offer for him but the few unsolicited offers I got for him seemed to price him like the suspension was not even a factor at all and those rankings you posted above seem to support this and that I did not agree with and why again I'll mention he was one of my most owned redraft players and I own him zero places in dynasty.

The reality is I'd have put his dynasty ranking close to where Bruce had it him listed but only because of suspension risk.

I traded for this idiot not too long ago knowing about this risk.  It was one of those weak moments ;)

Users who are viewing this thread