What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Martavis Bryant ONE YEAR SUSPENSION (1 Viewer)

massraider said:
Next 12 months:

Goodell is a Nazi

Weed should be legal

LOL he so stupid

Buy low

This guy will never get it

Trading for him is the shark move
Thanks for getting a whole year's worth Soulfly3 posts out of the way early.  Well done.

Do we have a Steeler fan version of @Soulfly3?  If this thread gonna have any legs, we need a protagonist.  I'm sure @Bayhawks would be willing to play spoiler in this thread as well.   :D
Not for nothing, but I'm pretty sure I read about Bryant getting in great shape & even doing some MMA style workouts during his suspension that showed how focused & determined he was to be a great WR.

Sounds like something I've read recently about someone else.

Just sayin' :P

We are going to need Tom Brady to get a suspension for failed drug test for marijuana now. Kraft will sue the NFL and easily win and then Bryant is back on the field. it appears every other team is too dumb to sue the NFL for some of their lame ### AND illegal rules.

This is probably sound advice especially when I think it takes 4 failed marijuana tests to get your first suspension and before you even get suspended you get fined 2 and 4 games for the second and third failed tests, at least I think that's how it worked. Probably more of a pipe dream or a hope than realistic expectation that someone who got themselves in this situation is going to alter their behavior anytime soon.

Still a little puzzled however on stages for marijuana suspensions. I thought the next stage from a 4 game suspension was a 10 game suspension?
It is, which is what immediately jumped to mind. That means he's had two violations in short order.

The 10 game suspension is for one positive for pot only. He either missed a test, it was something other than pot or had two failed pot tests.
Not necessarily.  A violation could include a masking agent, or failure to show up for a mandated test, not just a positive result.  So he could have missed two tests, or missed a test and had a positive test.

Wow after the fact jacks! Listen, if you ranked him #39 based on suspension risk that is fine and makes sense but don't think it was really necessary to come pat yourself on the back about it but whatever floats your boat. But contending that he's the #39 ranked dynasty WR based on talent and having nothing to do with suspension risks is not someone who has a good handle on things.
Its not surprising.

Couch you have been consistent about discounting players with character concerns for several years now and I agree with you about factoring that into a players value.

Out of curiosity how high would Bryant have been ranked if not for the 4 week suspension and possible 1 yea suspension looming on the horizon?

Do you think your colleagues and other sources were ranking him correctly without consideration of the risks?

Another clue was the Steelers drafting Sammie Coates when it did not seem like they needed a WR with his abilities with Bryant on the team. I would expect him to benefit the most from this in 2016.

Neither one catches ball much better than Jason Pierre-Paul.  
Really?  DHB was acquired to fill a need and, I think, met or exceeded expectations.  I've heard good things about Coates but shied away because of the log jam ahead of him.  As a rule, the Steelers do a good job of drafting WRs and I'm optimistic about Coates, especially with this news.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 10 game suspension is for one positive for pot only. He either missed a test, it was something other than pot or had two failed pot tests.
Not necessarily.  A violation could include a masking agent, or failure to show up for a mandated test, not just a positive result.  So he could have missed two tests, or missed a test and had a positive test.
The season-long ban is for missing multiple drug tests — not for testing positive — but Fettner did admit Bryant has a problem with marijuana. Missed drug tests count the same as failed tests under the NFL's substance abuse policy.
His agent is hoping to get him into a rehab, and have him evaluated for depression issues. link

Really?  DHB was acquired to fill a need and, I think, met or exceeded expectations.  I've heard good things about Coates but shied away because of the log jam ahead of him.  As a rule, the Steelers do a good job of drafting WRs and I'm optimistic about Coates, especially with this news.
Eh, I really just liked the joke, so I posted it.  

DHB is what he is, a hard-working end of the bench guy.  I like him.  No fantasy value.

Coates had a rep for bad hands coming out of college,  but it was just a rep.  He's still an unknown.  Might be another Mike Wallace for all I know (in a good way).  

His agent is hoping to get him into a rehab, and have him evaluated for depression issues. link
Well he is depressed because he keeps getting stoned .. paranoia and depression go hand in hand with the whacky the backy.

C'mon K-Mart pull yourself together brother.

If anyone is looking for a value or price point here. I just traded him in dyno (with 5 years left on his contract) for 1.12. 

If the dude is truly depressed and is an addict--I hope and pray that he gets the treatment he needs. I have a sister that battled drugs, depression, self destructive behavior--and she ended up winning that battle. She's now addicted to being a great mom, being a great mentor to troubled children at church, and to volunteering at shelters where they provide food to the homeless.  However--it was not an easy battle by any means.   As annoyed as we are that his actions may have messed up our fantasy teams--what he is going through is far more important and real than the fantasy world.  I wish him the best. 

Give the guys some meds. it saved Brandon Marshall's career and even possibly his life.
Pot shouldn't be illegal.  Hell, alcohol is a million times worse on your body and your actions.  The worst thing Bryant probably does is miss his exit, whereas a drunk may kill you in a head on collision.  Some states have come to their senses, so how long will it be before the NFL does?

Give the guys some meds. it saved Brandon Marshall's career and even possibly his life.
Unfortunately it's not quite as easy as that. Depression mixed with addiction is very tough to treat because if you try to treat with meds alone--the person can easily just get addicted to the meds and abuse those.    I certainly don't know the "specifics" regarding his particular situation--nor am I a doctor (and I also didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night)--but I'm just speaking from the experience that I had with my sister.  Depression mixed with addiction is a very tough and enduring battle to win and it's not surprising that the relapse rates tend to be pretty damn high.  

Papa John's said:
Lol

You really spend time on pointing that stuff out.  

Like if I said grammar and spelling checkers on message boards are "loosers". Which I wouldn't.  You'd bold it because it should have been spelled "losers".

Maybe I was smoking a blunt with Martavis and my short-term memory loss led me to add another "o" because I forgot while I was texting on my phone that I already added an "o" in the word.  I couldn't tell you though ... Because I can't remember.
Was pointed out for irony, the fact you're so butt mad about it is even better.

If you're going to make comments about someone and their intellect or lack of, maybe go ahead and proof it. If you are feeling really crazy, spell check even.

Was pointed out for irony, the fact you're so butt mad about it is even better.

If you're going to make comments about someone and their intellect or lack of, maybe go ahead and proof it. If you are feeling really crazy, spell check even.
Your right. It was a brilliant move by Martavis (sarcasm). And my adding an "o" means I am automatically unintelligent. Get a life, lol. 

BTW(by the way) - lol ... Usually means I am laughing about it, not really mad. But, lol is not a properly spelled word, so I see how you might have missed that.

I'm sure there are some, but how many guys have come back from a year long suspension and remained clean following it for an extended period?

Your right. It was a brilliant move by Martavis (sarcasm). And my adding an "o" means I am automatically unintelligent. Get a life, lol. 

BTW(by the way) - lol ... Usually means I am laughing about it, not really mad. But, lol is not a properly spelled word, so I see how you might have missed that.
It's like you went to public school. Or maybe just not applying yourself.

I believe the word everyone is dancing around is "indefinite".
Yeah. It's too bad, the kid is obviously a huge talent with not so great decision making.

For the people who want to "straighten this situation out" by telling folks this isn't because of failed tests, it's for missed tests. How exactly do you think he got into the situation to miss tests....

He needs help obviously. As small of an issue as MJ use is for me (and a lot of posters here I gather), the fact is, his employer doesn't allow it. If the money he currently makes, and stands to make doesn't sway him, maybe a professional can, since he clearly doesn't care about money.

Steelers “very disappointed” in Martavis Bryant

Statement from GM: “He is at a crossroads of his professional life, and he needs to understand significant changes need to occur in his personal life if he wants to regain his career as a Pittsburgh Steeler. We are hopeful that Martavis will take the necessary steps to develop the discipline in his personal life to become a successful player and a good teammate.”
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/14/steelers-very-disappointed-in-martavis-bryant/related/

Not exactly the cushy, we'll be here for you in a year message that the Browns seemed to have had for Gordon. 

NFL statement doesn't say indefinite.
This thread is awful snarky. I am very much not trying to do that here
For all intents and purposes his ban is "indefinite".  A minimum of one year is an indefinite period of time.

I agree, I just think it speaks to differences in the two organizations. 
Santonio Holmes posted "wake and bake" on his twitter feed... and was immediately traded for a 5th rounder.

He had a 4 game suspension looming and a nite club incident... but when he made that post - he was gone.

*** The Steelers traded that pick to the Cardinals which netted them the 6th round pick they used for Antonio Brown.

Santonio Holmes posted "wake and bake" on his twitter feed... and was immediately traded for a 5th rounder.

He had a 4 game suspension looming and a nite club incident... but when he made that post - he was gone.

*** The Steelers traded that pick to the Cardinals which netted them the 6th round pick they used for Antonio Brown.
What does "wake and bake" mean?

Users who are viewing this thread