What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USPS certified letter - what could it be (1 Viewer)

Joe T

Footballguy
I just moved and have lived in the new place for less than 90 days. I received a certified letter notice on my door last week. It doesn't have my name on it only my address so I'm not even sure it's for me.

I went to the post office to pick it up, waited 30 minutes while hungover and wanting to get the hell out of there, and of course they couldn't find it. The post office said it was from the city I live in. I asked if there was a chance it was for someone else since it didn't have any name on it. They said maybe.

They asked if they could call me when they find it and I told them 'no thanks'.

Any thoughts on what this could be?

No, I don't want them to call me. But I do wonder out of curiosity what it is.
What is the downside of the post office calling you to tell you the information you want to know?  I am curious at this reasoning here.

nothing says i am not guilty and i am a solid citizen like ducking service bromigo take that to the bank

It's probably no big deal, probably just something like a previously unknown child tracking you down to meet you.

:sadbanana:

I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me that something not specifically addressed to you wouldn't be legally binding. 

Where did you live before? Rental? Possibly your deposit check back from old rental/company landlord?

if you just bought a house maybe from title company or lender? Really could be anything. Why didn't you want them to call you?

I'm no lawyer, but it seems to me that something not specifically addressed to you wouldn't be legally binding. 
The notice had no name on it, I am sure the actual letter does.  The postman was probably just being lazy and did not want to write "IRS intent to Levy" on the little sticky notice.

Not picking up the letter does not really buy him anything.  He can just be blind to the reality of whatever the issue is.  Of course it could be a notice from Publisher's Clearing House. 

What is the downside of the post office calling you to tell you the information you want to know?  I am curious at this reasoning here.
Reasoning:

by the time I got home I'd have wasted an hour looking for something without my name on it and zero indication of what it is. At that point, I felt like I'd gone above and beyond what is reasonable to recover the unknown item. It felt like there was a process problem which was not on my end.

If you want to send me something, at a minimum put my name on it.

How's that logic sound to you?

Plus, the post office wouldn't have called to tell me what I wanted to know. They'd have called to tell me to come back up there to pick it up.

Plus, the post office wouldn't have called to tell me what I wanted to know. They'd have called to tell me to come back up there to pick it up.
They would have told you the name on it. It was the postman's fault for not putting the name on it.  It is not necessarily bad, but whatever it is, it is not going away because you did not pick it up. 

They would have told you the name on it. It was the postman's fault for not putting the name on it.  It is not necessarily bad, but whatever it is, it is not going away because you did not pick it up. 
Cool?

most likely it is not for me.

I'm a mail carrier. You could sign the back of the card and put it back in your outgoing mail, the instructions are on the back. Your carrier would pick it up and be able to scan the signature on the card for delivery even if you are not home. That way you don't have to waste anymore of your time.

If you went to pick it up the same day that you got the notice, the carrier still had it with him. Likely the reason it wasn't found at the office. Losing certified letters doesn't happen often. Those are accountable mail pieces that are signed out for. 

DevilDog919 said:
I'm a mail carrier. You could sign the back of the card and put it back in your outgoing mail, the instructions are on the back. Your carrier would pick it up and be able to scan the signature on the card for delivery even if you are not home. That way you don't have to waste anymore of your time.

If you went to pick it up the same day that you got the notice, the carrier still had it with him. Likely the reason it wasn't found at the office. Losing certified letters doesn't happen often. Those are accountable mail pieces that are signed out for. 
You need to start a "Ask a mailman any question" thread. 

Got one of these a couple of years ago.  It was from a law firm and was starting to sweat it considering how many movies I have "downloaded".  Turns out I had a grandfather I didn't know was still around and finally died leaving me $30K.  Seriously!

I have a win too, not as big as Osaurus, but about $6k, had a certified mail thread here, which I updated... My prior insurance company who I hadn't had in over 5 years sent me a notice that they owed me $6k and if I didn't claim it, it was going to the office of unclaimed funds. I thought it was bull####, very real. To this day, I'm 99.99% it was a mistake in my favor, but what an awesome win that was.

Just watched one of those house flipping shows on DIY, they received something similar, and it was a debt by the previous house owners had used house as collateral for the debt (new roof or something) and as the new owner they technically owed the money. If they fought prev owner, they could not sell house until settled. They ended eating debt $7500 to sell quicker.

Given I just moved in here and no one really has this address, I'm not too worried about it.

my guess is it was for the prior tenant.

DevilDog919 said:

I just looked at this. There is a box checked that says I must be there at the time of delivery to sign for it. :shrug:

Got one of these a couple of years ago.  It was from a law firm and was starting to sweat it considering how many movies I have "downloaded".  Turns out I had a grandfather I didn't know was still around and finally died leaving me $30K.  Seriously!
Sounds like he had some really great, loving grandchildren. 

DevilDog919 said:

Unless it has a return receipt(green card) because then he'll still have to sign that as well

eoMMan said:
Sounds like he had some really great, loving grandchildren. 
Oh yeah.  First husband of grandmother and left money to daughter (my mother) who is deceased leaving two children/grandchildren the inheritance.  I never knew him.

Users who are viewing this thread