What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

23andme or other genetic testing - ever done it? (1 Viewer)

Otis

Footballguy
Got curious after looking at the website, tempted to order a couple of kits for me and Mrs. O.  It's $199 a pop, so ain't cheap, but it seems legit.

Anyone ever do one of these?  Interesting?  Worthwhile?

TIA

PhD in genetics here.  I wouldn't.
Why not?

Is it that you'd rather not know some of the stuff you'd likely learn?  (i.e., hereditary and health issues, etc.)  Or just that it's crap and doesn't work?

After 46 years of living, growing up in a family of 5 as the only boy, genetic testing is responsible for introducing me to my 1/2 brother with whom I have been able to enjoy a relationship for the past two years.

People learn stuff they don't want to.
I'd probably rather know than not know.  Who knows, maybe you learn something about health risks you didn't consider to be significant previously.  Or you cross your genetics with your wife's and figure out whether there are any significant risks to watch out for with your kids?

Also just seems like it would be really interesting stuff.

:shrug:

I am adopted so i have thought of doing this as well.  I truly have no idea about my background.
This is essentially the story of my brother.  Searched for his biological parents for years without success.  A woman contacted him looking for her twin.  They were adopted from the same agency at about the same time.  He submitted DNA to compare to her.  No match, but that put him in the database.  Meanwhile, my first cousin and her husband decided to do the testing just for fun and curiosity.  They happened to choose the same database, and boom, after never knowing his biological past for 57 years, he stumbled upon a first cousin.  His daughter made the initial contact with my cousin, and the puzzle pieces started falling in place.  My oldest sister then submitted her DNA to the same company, and sure enough it matched at the sibling level.

With the price of genetic testing plummeting and the pimping of "personalized medicine" I think this will become common in a few years. For specific disease treatment it can be life changing, as certain drugs are better for particular gene mutations than others. 

I did it a couple years back when it was $100. Ran my results through Promethease for $5.

23andme is interesting because it tells you a lot about your ancestry; it's cool to say I'm 0.6% Finnish. Also tells me stuff about lactose intolerance, muscle composition, neanderthal ancestry, etc.

Promethease was more interesting. Here's some random stuff about my genes that I compiled in a work document:

• Problem metabolizing NSAIDs
  • Risk for prostate cancer, ER+ breast cancer, obesity, and T2D.
  • Higher odds of alcoholic liver disease, increased liver fat.
  • Better avoidance of errors. Normal OCD risk, normal Tardive Diskinesia risk, lower ADHD risk.
  • More stimulated by coffee. You appear to have a common genotype in the gene CYP1A2 which metabolizes coffee more slowly than some other forms. The same amount of caffeine will tend to have more stimulating effect on slow metabolizers than on fast metabolizers
  • Increased risk of Male Pattern Baldness
  • Optimistic and empathetic; handle stress well. 
  • Impaired muscle performance. Likely endurance athlete.
  • Intermediate riser. Wakes up at a time between the AA and GG genotypes
  • Able to taste bitterness. Normal tasting ability for bitterness. This makes turnip, cabbage, brussels sprouts, broccoli, and other cruciferous vegetables taste more interesting and less horribly bland. Coffee and dark beers also tastes more bitter. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife just went through some genetics testing as she'll be over 35 when delivering or daughter in July. Pretty insightful but scary stuff when you hear the results. Chock full of info, which is going to lead to further testing for the wife. 

Wish I had some family info before.  Had blood clots six years ago in lung and leg. They told me it was hereditary. No one in the family knew at all. Friend said he was the first to know in his family also.  Had I known in advance, there would have been many things I could have done to prevent it from becoming an issue.  All my kids have been tested now.

Kind of explains the weird description for how my dad's mom died now also.

With the price of genetic testing plummeting and the pimping of "personalized medicine" I think this will become common in a few years. For specific disease treatment it can be life changing, as certain drugs are better for particular gene mutations than others. 
I am selling personalized PGx testing for a local lab on the side.

This has not been received in the manner I thought it would.  Outside of Pain/Psych/Cardiology docs, not a lot of interest.

Why not?

Is it that you'd rather not know some of the stuff you'd likely learn?  (i.e., hereditary and health issues, etc.)  Or just that it's crap and doesn't work?
I'm sure it is a fine service but it works off of very limited information (insert sciency science explanation here).  Then let's say that you find you have a possible predisposition to heart disease, I am guessing you already know that information based on family history btw, is that the information that will finally make you change your lifestyle?  You may say yes but I am not certain that you would and you are just as likely to suffer from stress related to the knowledge that 1) could cause just as much harm and 2) ultimately is only suggestive and not of predictive value it is simply not diagnostic quality information.  And flip that on its head, what if your results come out "clean" (again based upon very limited, not diagnostic, information) how do you think you would respond to that Otis?  Healthy lifestyle changes or more of what we see regularly in the Otis v Woz thread? 

I don't see that it will provide any positive benefit for you.

If you seriously want to get undergo these types of tests I suggest you put up about $20,000 and contact Human Longevity Inc in San Diego.  It's Craig Venter's new joint (the guy who loves to tell everyone who will listen, and those who don't want to, that he was responsible for sequencing the human genome.  It was much more complicated than that but he isn't entirely incorrect). The focus is aging and complete biome sequencing.  It is still nascent but it will provide a comprehensive analysis that is far, far more likely to provide you with actionable information.

I'm sure it is a fine service but it works off of very limited information (insert sciency science explanation here).  Then let's say that you find you have a possible predisposition to heart disease, I am guessing you already know that information based on family history btw, is that the information that will finally make you change your lifestyle?  You may say yes but I am not certain that you would and you are just as likely to suffer from stress related to the knowledge that ultimately is only suggestive and not predictive, nor is it diagnostic.  And flip that on its head, what if your results come out "clean" (again based upon very limited, not diagnostic, information) how do you think you would respond to that Otis?  Healthy lifestyle changes or more of what we see regularly in the Otis v Woz thread? 

I don't see that it will provide you any positive benefit for you.

If you seriously want to get undergo these types of tests I suggest you put up about $20,000 and contact Human Longevity Inc in San Diego.  It's Craig Venter's new joint (the guy who loves to tell everyone who will listen, and those who don't want to, that he was responsible for sequencing the human genome.  It was much more complicated than that but he isn't entirely incorrect) and the focus is aging and complete biome sequencing.  It is still nascent but it will provide a comprehensive analysis that is far, far more likely to provide you with actionable information.
So save your money and you die when you die?

So save your money and you die when you die?
Yes/no.  I am very interested in what they are trying to accomplish at HLI, it is still very early for them but whole biome testing, which includes your whole genome sequencing, not just the extremely limited number of markers they test at 23&me, and the entire genome of all the organisms that live inside and on you, which is a mind blowing number.  It is far, far more likely to provide you actionable information.

Now if you are a woman who has a family history of breast cancer then I absolutely recommend having your BRCA markers tested, but go to a doctor and have the tests done in an environment that will provide you the support you need to deal with potentially devastating news should it be necessary.

There are very, very few truly diagnostic genetic tests that would be relevant to the overwhelming majority of the population.  If you suspect you are at risk from one of these rare disorders, or even the less rare ones, and you would suspect that because of a family history, that can be diagnosed via genetic testing, then you should be dealing with them in a professional health care environment not with some mail order saliva swab test.

At best you should use these services to find out if you are really Irish (my condolences if you are) or if your dog truly is a pure bred Cavalier King Charles Spaniel or just the mutant offspring of Jack Russell that made love to an alpaca.

Yes/no.  I am very interested in what they are trying to accomplish at HLI, it is still very early for them but whole biome testing, which includes your whole genome sequencing, not just the extremely limited number of markers they test at 23&me, and the entire genome of all the organisms that live inside and on you, which is a mind blowing number.  It is far, far more likely to provide you actionable information.

Now if you are a woman who has a family history of breast cancer then I absolutely recommend having your BRCA markers tested, but go to a doctor and have the tests done in an environment that will provide you the support you need to deal with potentially devastating news should it be necessary.

There are very, very few truly diagnostic genetic tests that would be relevant to the overwhelming majority of the population.  If you suspect you are at risk from one of these rare disorders, or even the less rare ones, and you would suspect that because of a family history, that can be diagnosed via genetic testing, then you should be dealing with them in a professional health care environment not with some mail order saliva swab test.
Thanks Doc. Unrelated question, do you expect us to be living to 100+ years on average the next generation, the millennials?   Things seem to be moving fast in this field. 

Got curious after looking at the website, tempted to order a couple of kits for me and Mrs. O.  It's $199 a pop, so ain't cheap, but it seems legit.

Anyone ever do one of these?  Interesting?  Worthwhile?

TIA
Knowing Otis, I'm assuming that I should be able to find someone to provide this service for about $50.

Agree with all of this. With regards to HLI, I wouldn't pay 20k for their services, the price will come down a ton. In addition to the genome sequencing, they also want to look at how an individuals genome changes over time. They want to build a model to predict which changes in the genome lead to certain diseases by generating a huge database and then using computer learning to find these correlations. It is a long way off and may not work at all but its a cool concept. The founders have done TEDx talks and similar talks to get the idea out there.

My siblings and i have mostly relied on very loosely given family lore about our heritage. We were always under the impression we were basically 50-50 Irish and Polish. 

The past few months we have done a lot of research into family history, letters, 23andme, etc.  Turns out we are 68% irish, 11% Dutch, 11% Polish, with a smattering of various other western European heritage.

Does anyone know where to get some wooden shoes?

Not sure what the benefit would be to me other than some medical information. I'm second generation off the boat, right before my dad passed away he shared a story about our family lineage. As the youngest and last male in the family I always had this thought in my head that if I didn't have a boy, the family name died with me which was kinda depressing and a responsibility I thought about, probably more than I should have. So dad tells me that when grandpa got to the states he settle in the Akron, OH area as a carpenter. He spoke very little English but had a relationship with the guy at the lumber yard where he got most of his supplies. Keep in mind, at the time, a lot of folks that were immigrating to the US where trying to hide their ethnicity because "Americans" looked down on them and wouldn't hire them. The guy at the yard told grandpa he should change his name to remove some of that stigma & get more work so we went from Nesich (Serbian) to Nash (English). So the name i had all my life was a pipe dream.

To further that, dad goes on to say Nesich wasn't really our name anyhow because at the time when grandpa was growing up in rural Serbia, his family was dirt poor. They couldn't support another mouth to feed so they gave him to a local farmer who needed an extra hand rather than let him starve to death. It was tradition then to take the name of the family who took you in so he took their name, Nesich. Most all of those villages have been wiped out by war over the last 100 years and most so there really isn't any history to dig into :shrug: The old man really popped my bubble that day.

I'm sure it is a fine service but it works off of very limited information (insert sciency science explanation here).  Then let's say that you find you have a possible predisposition to heart disease, I am guessing you already know that information based on family history btw, is that the information that will finally make you change your lifestyle?  You may say yes but I am not certain that you would and you are just as likely to suffer from stress related to the knowledge that 1) could cause just as much harm and 2) ultimately is only suggestive and not of predictive value it is simply not diagnostic quality information.  And flip that on its head, what if your results come out "clean" (again based upon very limited, not diagnostic, information) how do you think you would respond to that Otis?  Healthy lifestyle changes or more of what we see regularly in the Otis v Woz thread? 

I don't see that it will provide any positive benefit for you.

If you seriously want to get undergo these types of tests I suggest you put up about $20,000 and contact Human Longevity Inc in San Diego.  It's Craig Venter's new joint (the guy who loves to tell everyone who will listen, and those who don't want to, that he was responsible for sequencing the human genome.  It was much more complicated than that but he isn't entirely incorrect). The focus is aging and complete biome sequencing.  It is still nascent but it will provide a comprehensive analysis that is far, far more likely to provide you with actionable information.
Good info.  Appreciate it.  I just sent mine in but I'm only doing it for the family tree thing & what percentage I'm Irish & what percentage idiot.

I tried the National Geographic version of this a while back. It didn't report me as being a % of any particular nationality. It did show the migration, over time of people with my markers, tracking my paternal and maternal separately, as well as where my peeps tended to settle in concentrations. One concentration would be Tuscany. However, a relative did a genealogy study and my paternal lineage goes back to 1200's France.

It also reported me to be around  2% of neanderthal, which is around average if the report is to be believed.

Now I want to look again to see if there are any updates.

GSK just bought 23andMe. Send us your DNA and we will be happy to send you pharma ads based on what you may susceptible to 

Yeah no thanks

Users who are viewing this thread