What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Will Fuller, MIA (1 Viewer)

bostonfred

Footballguy

I was surprised that i didn't find a thread on him so feel free to merge/delete if there is one.   

Getting some first round hype.   Lots of comparisons to DeSean Jackson, or at least a poor man's djax. Has decent moves and can contribute in the screen game and running the ball.   Was able to make some end zone plays in college but I don't see that happening much in the NFL.  So skinny.   Every time I see him get hit in one of these clips I think he's going to die even though I know he's alive right now.   

Here's one quick spotting report although I'm sure there are better. 

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/will-fuller?id=2555346

Last edited by a moderator:
Who, for instance?
Ted Ginn 

Derrius Heyward-Bey

That guy on the saints every year forever

James Jett

Everybody on the Falcons before Roddy emerged

Donnie Avery 

Most kick returners

Cordarelle although he wasn't just a speed guy and didn't just suck at catching

Todd Pinkston

Mike Wallace post Pittsburgh 

The dolphins guy I can't remember his name

This was the big news from the combine - he caught the ball really well in drills and that raised his draft spot.   They knew he was fast but apparently some scouts feel that catching the ball well not in a game is more valuable information than catching the ball poorly in games.  

I have him a tier down from Coleman/treadwell/doctson but interested in the discussion

Ted Ginn 

Derrius Heyward-Bey

James Jett

Donnie Avery 

Most kick returners

Todd Pinkston

Add in

Stephen Hill

Justin Hunter

Marqise Lee

Add in

Stephen Hill

Justin Hunter

Marqise Lee
I remember all the fuss about who was the best between Marquise Lee and Robert Woods.  Looks like both of them suck, LOL.  A lot of wasted time discussing them if I recall.  I was on the Woods side and most were on the Lee side of things. 

He's alright. He's the kind of guy like Harvin and Jackson that you want in his first 3 seasons while his jets are still a step above the rest.

I'd take a flyer on him in the right offense.

NFL Media draft analyst Chad Reuter wrote that if "[Notre Dame WR Will Fuller] gets into the right situation, where he's a complementary piece and not the primary option, then [he] can succeed."
"Fuller's speed is evident (4.32 40-yard dash at the combine), and he'll make any defense pay if it loses him in a zone or puts a lesser corner on his side," Reuter noted. "However," he added, "that won't happen very often in the NFL." The analyst sees one of his biggest hurdles coming on the physical side of the equation, as he questions whether he'll be able to take a beating at 6-foot, 186 pounds. He also brought up an old war cry we've heard before regarding Fuller. "[His] drops have been much-discussed, and his 8 1/4-inch hand measurement at the combine didn't silence those concerns." Scout Inc.'s Nathan Forster is far less dubious, writing earlier in March that "size is highly overrated at the wide receiver position."

Source: NFL.com 
Mar 24 - 5:50 PM

I remember all the fuss about who was the best between Marquise Lee and Robert Woods.  Looks like both of them suck, LOL.  A lot of wasted time discussing them if I recall.  I was on the Woods side and most were on the Lee side of things. 
Yep it was a waste of time. FWIW I was on the Lee side.Woods maybe could have done more somewhere other than Buffalo. Lee just seems like he doesn't care about being good. He had one fantastic year in College then faded.

Most of the speed guys that have been named are return guys too. I don't think Fuller had those duties in ND though. 

If Fuller is strictly a deep ball guy, who showed a lot of drops and doesn't have return duties, his stock might fall on draft day. 

NFL Media draft analyst Chad Reuter wrote that if "[Notre Dame WR Will Fuller] gets into the right situation, where he's a complementary piece and not the primary option, then [he] can succeed."
"Fuller's speed is evident (4.32 40-yard dash at the combine), and he'll make any defense pay if it loses him in a zone or puts a lesser corner on his side," Reuter noted. "However," he added, "that won't happen very often in the NFL." The analyst sees one of his biggest hurdles coming on the physical side of the equation, as he questions whether he'll be able to take a beating at 6-foot, 186 pounds. He also brought up an old war cry we've heard before regarding Fuller. "[His] drops have been much-discussed, and his 8 1/4-inch hand measurement at the combine didn't silence those concerns." Scout Inc.'s Nathan Forster is far less dubious, writing earlier in March that "size is highly overrated at the wide receiver position."

Source: NFL.com
Mar 24 - 5:50 PM

Notre Dame WR Will Fuller weighed in four pounds lighter during Thursday's Pro Day than he did at the NFL Scouting Combine.
Fuller measured at 6-foot, 186 pounds during the Combine back in late February. Four pounds have gone by the wayside in the interim, though, bringing him down to 182 pounds for Pro Day purposes. "Like he did at the [C]ombine," CBS Sports analyst Rob Rang wrote, "Fuller caught the ball well during positional drills, easing one of the biggest concerns scouts have about him after a career in which too many catchable passes slipped through his fingers." We would question whether performing well in pass-catching drills can truly be used as any sort of metric for future NFL success, but that's the NFL scouting universe for you. Performing well in drills at the Combine and on Pro Day can legitimately sway opinions regardless of the small sample sizes in play. Fuller has worked himself into the late first-round discussion at this point and should be drafted in the second round if Day 1 sees him passed over.

Source: CBS Sports 
Apr 2 - 7:33 PM

You were right that Woods was better than Lee. Obviously neither are going to live up to their pre-draft hype. At least Woods is a decent player though. 152 catches 1,800 yards 11 TDs. That's like 50 catches, 600 yards and 4 TDs a year. Solid contributor. 

NFL Media's Daniel Jeremiah believes Notre Dame WR Will Fuller could be the first receiver off the board "based on what I'm hearing."
It would be a shock but obviously in the realm of possibility. Will Fuller is a role player and on the spectrum of Phillip Dorsett and Devin Smith, two receivers in last year's class. Fuller is an outstanding vertical receiver with easy speed, however, he lack the same ball skills Smith possessed and dealt with a number of drops this season. If a team benches Fuller for his drops, they did not prepare correctly for the type of player he is on the field. Another question is if Fuller can consistently win in either the short or intermediate games on top of his 20-plus yard prowess.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter 
Apr 6 - 9:06 AM

Anyone else think he'll be a big bust?  Also, 6 ft 180 lbs, is he going to be durable in the NFL?  I'm trying to picture him taking 2-3 hits from 250 lb linebackers across the middle of the field or 220 lb safeties, and it's not pretty.

The shark pool is seriously sleeping on Fuller. His speed, movement, and acceleration are dynamic and draftniks are under rating his technical wr skills. 

The shark pool is seriously sleeping on Fuller. His speed, movement, and acceleration are dynamic and draftniks are under rating his technical wr skills. 
I don't want to speak for anyone else but Fuller seems like the type of that we have seen not turn out. Over and over and over. The deep speed guy with drop issues. And likely undersized/under weight. 

I'm not saying he is terrible but it's difficult to be excited for these guys anymore. 

I just dont see many teams needs lining up with this guy in rd1 vs the other talent that will be there.

rd 2 is a very real possibility, could even see the browns taking wentz and then fuller, maybe houston in rd 2 if they miss out on coleman, just cant see too many teams that are looking for a complementary wr in rd 1, and even fewer that wouldnt be able to fill a more dire need with that rd 1 pick

I don't think I'm sleeping on him, I might be wrong but I am not super impressed with what he brings to the table. Wasn't a fan of DJax, wasn't a fan of Perriman, not a fan of Fuller.

I just dont see many teams needs lining up with this guy in rd1 vs the other talent that will be there.

rd 2 is a very real possibility, could even see the browns taking wentz and then fuller, maybe houston in rd 2 if they miss out on coleman, just cant see too many teams that are looking for a complementary wr in rd 1, and even fewer that wouldnt be able to fill a more dire need with that rd 1 pick
"complementary wr" sounds bad but imo that underestimates how teams will value Fuller's skills. Think Martavis Bryant, known as almost an exclusively deep threat WR yet still was being ranked in the top 15 WRs (pre suspension) for dynasty purposes. Fuller is not only a better deep threat (as a prospect) but he also has significantly better WR skills.

He's got talent/ability that defenses will be forced to adjust for, which is the definition of value for an offensive coach. He's absolutely a 1st round talent

I don't think I'm sleeping on him, I might be wrong but I am not super impressed with what he brings to the table. Wasn't a fan of DJax, wasn't a fan of Perriman, not a fan of Fuller.
Wait DJax was a bust? Perriman I actually agree with you but he hasn't played an NFL down yet so it's a bit presumptuous to use him as an example of a bad prospect.

Wait DJax was a bust? Perriman I actually agree with you but he hasn't played an NFL down yet so it's a bit presumptuous to use him as an example of a bad prospect.
I never said DJax was a bust, hes actually imo the best case for Fuller, and that puts him significantly below several other WRs in this class. DJax for all of his big play potential is not very good.

Hes a flanker, hes one dimensional, he struggles in the short game. He can obviously improve these things, but I think thats what he will be in the NFL, an undersized burner.

I prefer my flankers to be a bit bigger than Fuller before I start to buy in on their limited skill set, regardless of their athletic ability. Also very real concerns for his durability.

Ted Ginn is another example I would use.

"complementary wr" sounds bad but imo that underestimates how teams will value Fuller's skills. Think Martavis Bryant, known as almost an exclusively deep threat WR yet still was being ranked in the top 15 WRs (pre suspension) for dynasty purposes. Fuller is not only a better deep threat (as a prospect) but he also has significantly better WR skills.

He's got talent/ability that defenses will be forced to adjust for, which is the definition of value for an offensive coach. He's absolutely a 1st round talent
Re: Martavis vs Fuller, there are some variables at play here. If the team values size to speed or the other way around, theyre obv gonna have different opinions. I dont recall martavis' hands being a question. Fuller absolutely has iffy hands. He also body catches (probably a product of his bad hands, or the cause of it), which is not a great habit to have when a lot of your targets are going to be theoretically long, and usually somewhat contested targets. EIther way, its not a great comp, martavis has physical tools Fuller doesnt. The difference in speed (4.32 vs 4.42 and 4.34u at pro day) is offset by martavis being much taller, longer arms, bigger hands and better vert.

The only thing Fuller has going for him in this comp is that he is gonna play next year

Its tough to put that big of an investment into a guy who is likely gonna have a big # for aDot, isnt super tall, and has 8.25'' hands with a habit of body catching is all im saying. He may end up being a stud in the right situation, just not sure his skill set warrants a top 31 pick

Re: Martavis vs Fuller, there are some variables at play here. If the team values size to speed or the other way around, theyre obv gonna have different opinions. I dont recall martavis' hands being a question. Fuller absolutely has iffy hands. He also body catches (probably a product of his bad hands, or the cause of it), which is not a great habit to have when a lot of your targets are going to be theoretically long, and usually somewhat contested targets. EIther way, its not a great comp, martavis has physical tools Fuller doesnt. The difference in speed (4.32 vs 4.42 and 4.34u at pro day) is offset by martavis being much taller, longer arms, bigger hands and better vert.

The only thing Fuller has going for him in this comp is that he is gonna play next year
Obviously Martavis is bigger so the comp isn't 100% accurate..but in effect they are very similar in that they were/are seen as primarily deep threats.

Fuller has better movement (start/stop, lateral, flexibility) and creates separation much easier than Martavis.

Obviously Martavis is bigger so the comp isn't 100% accurate..but in effect they are very similar in that they were/are seen as primarily deep threats.

Fuller has better movement (start/stop, lateral, flexibility) and creates separation much easier than Martavis.
should be both easier and more necessary when youre 6' 170lb vs 6'5'' 200lb

Its tough to put that big of an investment into a guy who is likely gonna have a big # for aDot, isnt super tall, and has 8.25'' hands with a habit of body catching is all im saying. He may end up being a stud in the right situation, just not sure his skill set warrants a top 31 pick
Gotcha. I get it. The ff community seems to be far more pessimistic on him than his draft projections, so you're not the only one.

fwiw I would define Fuller's hands/catch technique as inconsistent. There are many examples of body catches/drops and hands-catches with arms nearly fully extended.

fwiw, if he is utilized correctly he could be a very versatile player that would help a real life football club a lot

I think he could be more than a guy who runs 9 routes, but im not sure how much of that extra stuff he was asked to do at ND, or if he is up to it. His speed gives him the opportunity to play the deep threat role, as well as something like a tavon/percy/lockett role, imo and I think that is what a lot of NFL teams are salivating over

Ted Ginn 

Derrius Heyward-Bey

James Jett

Donnie Avery 

Most kick returners

Todd Pinkston

Stephen Hill

So we should count on the Colts taking him in Round 1. :unsure:

Ted Ginn 

Derrius Heyward-Bey

James Jett

Donnie Avery 

Most kick returners

Todd Pinkston

Add in

Stephen Hill

Justin Hunter

Marqise Lee
How many of these guys had elite college production? That's one of the differences here. Those guys were drafted on potential, Fuller has ability with athletic talent

spider321 said:
Imho, Boyd looks like the better player of the two, and both are better than Thomas.
The two? Martavis and Fuller? Nobody cared about this guy outside of south bend until he ran his 40

The two? Martavis and Fuller? Nobody cared about this guy outside of south bend until he ran his 40
Yes, Boyd is the better of the two.  The two are Boyd and guy the thread is about.

Where are you getting Martavis?!

Boyd>Fuller>Thomas.

Yes, Boyd is the better of the two.  The two are Boyd and guy the thread is about.

Where are you getting Martavis?!

Boyd>Fuller>Thomas.
Where did you get Boyd? The whole last page was basically a debate about a martavis/fuller comp. Didnt see anything about Boyd, maybe I skimmed over it. Just assumed you were joining the martavis/fuller discussion

Where did you get Boyd? The whole last page was basically a debate about a martavis/fuller comp.
I brought Boyd into the conversation since he will be a rookie WR that people will be ranking against Fuller...

Thus, Boyd is the better player of the two.

If I thought Boyd was better than Martavis and Fuller, I would have stated Boyd was the better of the three.

No worries.

Martavis/Fuller discussion seemed completely pointless since...

1. Martavis is already taken and will more than likely be kept in any good dynasty league.

2. They are nothing alike unless you count playing the same position.  lol

No worries.

Martavis/Fuller discussion seemed completely pointless since...

1. Martavis is already taken and will more than likely be kept in any good dynasty league.

2. They are nothing alike unless you count playing the same position.  lol
This was pretty much my point in the debate anyway. Dunno exactly what my feelings will be on Boyd, will likely need to wait til after the NFL draft to form a more final opinion. SOme are really high on him, others seem to think he is a very average athlete

This was pretty much my point in the debate anyway. Dunno exactly what my feelings will be on Boyd, will likely need to wait til after the NFL draft to form a more final opinion. SOme are really high on him, others seem to think he is a very average athlete
True.  Destination will be important, and yes Fuller is a better athlete.

...but Boyd is taller, and from what I can tell, he is much better at actually catching the football, especially in traffic(i.e. the end zone).

Users who are viewing this thread