What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FU Cell Phone Providers (They're ####ing us bad) (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
Anyone try to buy a cell phone on an upgrade lately? 

It looks like the cell phone carriers are absolutely gang raping consumers, I mean just ####### us raw!!

You no longer own your phone, you lease it, and even better, it costs 2-3x :excited:

Do you think you're fooling us you pieces of ####, I'd much rather buy my ####### phone for $300 then lease it for $30 a month and give it back to you when I don't want to make that $30 charge a month.

Did I mention, #### YOU AT&T, Verizon, TMobile, Sprint. The first carrier to get off this bull#### wins my business.

Last edited by a moderator:
i just switched to Google - Project FI (Sprint, Tmobile and Google WIFI).  limited phone options (Nexus 5x or Nexus 6) but, cheap at 40 per month for unlimited talk, text and 2gb of data.  Get rid of the major carrier and save yourself a ton of money.  Hulk has an entire thread dedicated to this topic. 

They used to subsidize the phone but also charge you $40 per line. Now they charge you interest free payments over 24 months for the full price of the phone but only charge $20 per line. It works out to be almost the same for an expensive phone. I like it better this way. I am pissed however. Was gonna get myself and my wife the new s7 under Verizon's bogo deal bit it's only if you add a new line and we already both have verizon and would be upgrading only.

And how about those pay for T.V. Service companies eh? Don't even get me started on internet service providers.

They used to subsidize the phone but also charge you $40 per line. Now they charge you interest free payments over 24 months for the full price of the phone but only charge $20 per line. It works out to be almost the same for an expensive phone. I like it better this way. I am pissed however. Was gonna get myself and my wife the new s7 under Verizon's bogo deal bit it's only if you add a new line and we already both have verizon and would be upgrading only.
I used to buy a 64gb iPhone for $300, now I'm paying $720 over two years... How can this be considered a good thing?

Why don't you just buy your phone on ebay?  Then you have no monthly lease phone charges.

We bought Galaxy 3s for $100 bucks that have been working great for over a year and a half.  

Verizon - 10GB family plan, unlimited text and calls for $160 inc. tax.  Had to get off contracts on all phones prior though.  

ETA:  Family of 4, wife bought a better Samsung (can't remember which one).

Had a problem with the battery on my iPhone 6. I purchased it thru AT&T and pay for 'insurance' with my service. I figured I should go there for service/support. I was told, rather abruptly that I could only get support at an Apple Store. Not sure if this is an Apple issue or a Cell provider issue. Still annoying.

I'm on an old grandfathered unlimited data plan, the costs are much different than what you describe. This is how they're ####### us off those plans.
The data plan <> line charge. They are two separate things. I give up. If you don't want to listen to me I don't know what to tell you.

You're better off buying the phone for $700 than leasing it per month or signing a two year contract with a $300 phone.

Had a problem with the battery on my iPhone 6. I purchased it thru AT&T and pay for 'insurance' with my service. I figured I should go there for service/support. I was told, rather abruptly that I could only get support at an Apple Store. Not sure if this is an Apple issue or a Cell provider issue. Still annoying.
Ahh the "insurance".

I loved my droid. Paid the insurance of course for almost a year. For whatever reason it started rebooting non stop one day. I troubleshot it online, was on the phone with Verizon for about an hour trying different things to fix it with no luck. It was still under warranty so they sent me a new one. Which was of course a refurbished piece of crap..the battery rarely makes it through the day.

Burn in hell Verizon 

They're crooks.  My son's plan allows for 3gb of data per month.  He regularly exceeds that amount, at which time AT&T automatically adds 1gb for an extra $10, and keeps doing over and over that until the billing cycle ends.  And you can't disable that feature.   :thumbdown:

I'm on an old grandfathered unlimited data plan, the costs are much different than what you describe. This is how they're ####### us off those plans.
You are correct.  I had a rep at AT&T whisper to me a year ago, "Never ever let them try to sell you on the lease option because you'll lose your unlimited minutes".  He really did whisper it.  Right in my ear.

They're crooks.  My son's plan allows for 3gb of data per month.  He regularly exceeds that amount, at which time AT&T automatically adds 1gb for an extra $10, and keeps doing over and over that until the billing cycle ends.  And you can't disable that feature.   :thumbdown:
Sounds like you should disable your son's phone. 

You're better off buying the phone for $700 than leasing it per month or signing a two year contract with a $300 phone.
I'm on the same plan for almost a decade, I have no issue with a subsidized phone to sign up for another two years... They're just removing that option to #### consumers like myself.

Now I have no choice but to buy a ####ty little phone every two years or so for almost the same cost as a MacBook .

Agreed. The cell phone companies have you guys hooked on these things like a pimp hooks up his crack ho. You are all suckers.
Do you have a better method? I need my email basically around the clock wherever I go, how should I do this without a cell phone company?

I also need to be accessible by my wife should her or the kids need me 24/7. 

I'm on the same plan for almost a decade, I have no issue with a subsidized phone to sign up for another two years... They're just removing that option to #### consumers like myself.

Now I have no choice but to buy a ####ty little phone every two years or so for almost the same cost as a MacBook .
Buy a phone from the internet. Jail break it (or buy one that is already). 

Do you have a better method? I need my email basically around the clock wherever I go, how should I do this without a cell phone company?

I also need to be accessible by my wife should her or the kids need me 24/7. 
Nope but how can you 'need' your e-mail around the clock? I can go weeks without looking at it. People didn't have 24/7 before cell phones. Nothing has changed. You don't 'need' it.  I believe my dad, still has a cell phone. Pays zero, if I recall correctly, I forget where he got it but he has zillions of free minutes. Never even uses it. You are sucked into this 'need' for texting and internet access that you really don't need. Humans got along fine without smart phones for decades.

When I hear someone say something like 'man, that new cell phone is $700, I just shake my head. The stupidity is off the charts. No one and I mean no one 'needs' a $700' cell phone. I mean it's ####### you and you are getting no pleasure out of it.

Nope but how can you 'need' your e-mail around the clock? I can go weeks without looking at it. People didn't have 24/7 before cell phones. Nothing has changed. You don't 'need' it.  I believe my dad, still has a cell phone. Pays zero, if I recall correctly, I forget where he got it but he has zillions of free minutes. Never even uses it. You are sucked into this 'need' for texting and internet access that you really don't need. Humans got along fine without smart phones for decades.

When I hear someone say something like 'man, that new cell phone is $700, I just shake my head. The stupidity is off the charts. No one and I mean no one 'needs' a $700' cell phone. I mean it's ####### you and you are getting no pleasure out of it.
People got around before cars, should I get a horse? I have family, clients, & coworkers and at least 1 to 50 times a week, someone in these groups needs me for some type of emergency. Unfortunately, I'm not Warren Buffet so I can't ignore any of these situations or make them wait for me.

$35/month unlimited voice,  text,  data.  Virgin Mobile,  y'all! I've been with them for 8+years. 

I don't mind the $700. They're amazing gadgets. You barely need a computer or camera anymore. The data plans are ridiculous though.

Go weeks without checking email?  This is a little overboard.  Of course people didn't need it 50 years ago.  Life was totally different.  I know we will make it great again come November, but for now we need email.

It's also amazing that they all dropped these ####ty plans at the exact same time, universally ####### the consumer. Hopefully someone is waiting to go back to the old way, they'll gain my business by doing so. Nothing annoys me more as a consumer than being ####ed and having no choice about it. Time Warner Cable :finger: also

You gotta admit....it's funny when you post a topic complaining about cell phone expenses but also post about $300 steak dinners.

I found out that ATT was dropping their subsidized phones in January. I was able to sign another two year contract so I have some time. But I agree that they lease/unsubsidized phone plan suxors. Like you, I have a grandfathered unlimited plan that I did not want to lose. Add in the fact that I would not be saving money with my monthly plan decreasing and I am dreading my next phone purchase. 

lod01 said:

Second paragraph...fine.

First one....terrible hot take. 

I found out that ATT was dropping their subsidized phones in January. I was able to sign another two year contract so I have some time. But I agree that they lease/unsubsidized phone plan suxors. Like you, I have a grandfathered unlimited plan that I did not want to lose. Add in the fact that I would not be saving money with my monthly plan decreasing and I am dreading my next phone purchase. 
Are you paying a line fee under that new 2 year contract?

I was paying $150/month for two phones under contract, with $40 a month just for the line fee. Now that I went with just pre-paid, I'm paying less than $100/month for both. With actually a little more data. Do you really need unlimited data with wifi so available?

I was paying $150/month for two phones under contract, with $40 a month just for the line fee. Now that I went with just pre-paid, I'm paying less than $100/month for both. With actually a little more data. Do you really need unlimited data with wifi so available?
yes, I have wifi at home, but very rarely get wifi when not at home. With two kids who like to watch netflix on car rides or anywhere, I like having it. In terms of the line fee, I have no idea. I know I figured out how much it would be for a leased phone vs subsidized and the leased option was more. When I went to the physical store, an old student of mine told me to re up online so I could get the subsidy. He said there was no way he would put me on the lease plan. It pays to be nice to all students 

yes, I have wifi at home, but very rarely get wifi when not at home. With two kids who like to watch netflix on car rides or anywhere, I like having it. In terms of the line fee, I have no idea. I know I figured out how much it would be for a leased phone vs subsidized and the leased option was more. When I went to the physical store, an old student of mine told me to re up online so I could get the subsidy. He said there was no way he would put me on the lease plan. It pays to be nice to all students 
I guess I can't argue with the unlimited but there's a good chance that the line fee you are paying will cost you more than buying a phone at full price and going with pre-paid.

The lease plan is ####... They're all just ####### the stupid American consumer without an upfront payment - Americans just love getting #### without having to buy it upfront, they're just taking advantage of that.

The lease plan is ####... They're all just ####### the stupid American consumer without an upfront payment - Americans just love getting #### without having to buy it upfront, they're just taking advantage of that.
It's an amazing piece of technology and integral to a productive life. Buy the phone at full price and pre-pay on a monthly plan. I don't see what the issue is? There are cheaper phones in the $200-$300 range. You don't have to have the top of the line.

We (my wife) got suckered into one of these.  She went to upgrade phones and we were bother ready to pay the $200 each for new iphones and renew our plan. 

They pitched it to her like we don't have to buy the phone and our monthly payments went down by about $15.  She had a 4 and a2 yo with her so I cut her some slack. 

But the way I see it work is that after 2 years our phones will be paid for and we can renew our contract and just keep the same phone and our plan drops $50 or whatever we were paying for the phone. 

I can handle that, we'd have 2 lines with 6 gigs for about $90 a month thru Verizon. 

If thats not how it works we're taking our phones to walmart and doing the Cricket (or whatever it is) thing.   I went thru the phase of pretty much constantly looking at my phone.  I've relearned how to live without that blasted thing in my hand all day. 

I am almost positive, the line fee is $20 regardless if you pay for the whole phone upfront or do 24 monthly payments

We (my wife) got suckered into one of these.  She went to upgrade phones and we were bother ready to pay the $200 each for new iphones and renew our plan. 

They pitched it to her like we don't have to buy the phone and our monthly payments went down by about $15.  She had a 4 and a2 yo with her so I cut her some slack. 

But the way I see it work is that after 2 years our phones will be paid for and we can renew our contract and just keep the same phone and our plan drops $50 or whatever we were paying for the phone. 

I can handle that, we'd have 2 lines with 6 gigs for about $90 a month thru Verizon. 

If thats not how it works we're taking our phones to walmart and doing the Cricket (or whatever it is) thing.   I went thru the phase of pretty much constantly looking at my phone.  I've relearned how to live without that blasted thing in my hand all day. 
Your monthly payment went down $15 a month so how exactly did they sucker you?

Users who are viewing this thread