What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Dak Prescott, DAL (1 Viewer)

Now we are getting to a reasonable place... you want to rank Dak ahead of Jimmy G?  Cool.. That is a good place for him in the rankings.

Like Jimmy G, Dak isn't even the focal point of his own offense.

Dak will never be one of the better passers in the league.  He can become one of the best QBs in the league... but he simply doesn't have the arm talent of Mahomes and company, or the command/precision/anticipation of a Rodgers etc, to be in that place as a passer.  This isn't an insult, Lamar jackson will also never be a great passer - obviously won't prevent him from being a great QB.
I'm all for a reasonable debate, but I just can't do the nonsense.

As soon as you stated Jimmy was better than Dak, I knew this was no longer a legit debate.

Not much else to say, my friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm all for a reasonable debate, but I just can't do the nonsense.

As soon as you stated Jimmy was better than Dak, I knew this was no longer a legit debate.

Not much else to say, my friend.
I never stated any such thing?

My goodness people are whiffing this evening.

I think the poster you are trying to attack here is Ghost Rider.

Way to avoid the question but I’ll play along. Dak’s shoulder was wrecked and The clapper thought it would be wise to have him throw the ball 44 times and only let Zeke carry the ball 15 times. To top that off, we ran the most vanilla defense in the league because in the words of Red Jesus, “We do what we do”. 

I mean I guess they at least thought Dak was a competent enough passer to throw more than single digit attempts in most games so that’s a positive. 

So now that we’ve established that Dak didn’t crap his pants please defend your boy for crapping his. 
Jimmy G is not my boy.  All I said was that he is better than Dak. Which he is.  Yes, he came up short in the Super Bowl, but they don't come close to getting there without him, unless you really think they are getting the 1 seed without him. 

I never stated any such thing?

My goodness people are whiffing this evening.

I think the poster you are trying to attack here is Ghost Rider.
Again, I apologize. I went back & looked & I mixed up comments from you & GR.

You said Dak is a middling passer. Do you honestly believe that? Like he's around the 16th/17th best passer in the league? LOL.

I mean, let's face it...we aren't going to get anywhere here, but again, what does Dak have to do? Not make a few bad passes a game? That's a really odd criticism considering what he accomplished last season.

You're just not willing to give Dak the credit he deserves. I know it's tough to do as a rival. You really have to put the fan part of you aside to do it. I learned that art long ago & it's really helpful.

Again, I apologize. I went back & looked & I mixed up comments from you & GR.

You said Dak is a middling passer. Do you honestly believe that? Like he's around the 16th/17th best passer in the league? LOL.

I mean, let's face it...we aren't going to get anywhere here, but again, what does Dak have to do? Not make a few bad passes a game? That's a really odd criticism considering what he accomplished last season.

You're just not willing to give Dak the credit he deserves. I know it's tough to do as a rival. You really have to put the fan part of you aside to do it. I learned that art long ago & it's really helpful.
It is the distinction between passer and QB.

Dak is a MUCH better QB than passer.  He isn't reading defenses and dissecting the play, threading tight windows, throwing WRs open (like the better QBs).  He is hitting the easy throws, earned from the focus of that offense.. the OL/run game.  Taking what the defense gives him.  He is playing a role instead of defining the team.  Right now, those "few bad passes a game" are the difference in the big games.  They aren't just misses, they are what in the hell are you throwing at misses... on third downs.  In the 4th quarter.  All the more frustrating after watching a crazy good throw made in the 2nd quarter.

I am not a rival by the way.  I live in San Antonio.  Life long Lions fan, but wtf is that good for.. the Cowboys have crept in over the 25 years in TX.  You can see my link to the Lions fading in that thread.

eta - totally jealous/fan of the Oline, love Zeke.  Love Jerry Jones of all people.  I just don't put Dak on a pedestal.

Dig up a Romo thread and I was there defending him.

Same with Dez.

Just not Emmitt.  #### that guy.  

Dak is a MUCH better QB than passer.  He isn't reading defenses and dissecting the play, threading tight windows, throwing WRs open (like the better QBs).  He is hitting the easy throws, earned from the focus of that offense.. the OL/run game.  Taking what the defense gives him.  He is playing a role instead of defining the team.  Right now, those "few bad passes a game" are the difference in the big games.  They aren't just misses, they are what in the hell are you throwing at misses... on third downs.  In the 4th quarter.  All the more frustrating after watching a crazy good throw made in the 2nd quarter.

I am not a rival by the way.  I live in San Antonio.  Life long Lions fan, but wtf is that good for.. the Cowboys have crept in over the 25 years in TX.  You can see my link to the Lions fading in that thread.

eta - totally jealous/fan of the Oline, love Zeke.  Love Jerry Jones of all people.  I just don't put Dak on a pedestal.
Fair enough, but it's quite an outlier stance.

Everybody makes bad throws, but I'm not seeing these CONSISTENT terrible passes & I've watched nearly every play.

Anyway, I'm curious just how good he'd have to play to get your approval.

Dig up a Romo thread and I was there defending him.

Same with Dez.

Just not Emmitt.  #### that guy.  
Id like to hear more about this. He was my favorite player as a kid but I’ve heard some bad things about the way he treats people. 

ETA -Nate Newton alluded to a story recently where he was leaving a hotel in his playing days and apparently the player that’s left the hotel before Nate was a complete jerk to the bellhops and even told them that they were lucky he even spoke to them and Nate knew immediately who that guy (Emmitt) was. Damn near broke my heart to heart it. 

On the flip side, my wife, SIL, BIL and many of my co-workers met him and he was one of the nicest guys they’ve ever had at their event. (They said Terry Bradshaw was the worst which shook me equally). 

Anyway, do tell please. 

Now we’re having a reasonable conversation. 

I see things a little differently than it seems you do. You say Dak isn’t the focal point of the offense but last year he obviously was. The OLine isn’t nearly as good as it’s constantly ranked. Even with Frederick, they were far better pass protectors than road graders and that’s why they intimately failed. The Cowboys initially tried to recreate the 90s dominate line but those dudes were different. Maybe when Leary was here we could do some of that stuff but for the most part they are average at short yardage plays. 

Again, Dak isn’t ever going to be Aaron Rogers in the arm department. I think you said it best when you said that he is a far better QB than a passer. I think he is a better passer than you think but agree that he is inconsistent. 

The dude can drop dimes like the Beasley/Gaints win and there are plenty of other highlights of hitting his guys in tight windows. Saying he is only hitting wide open receivers is both untrue and a bizarre criticism. Why should a guy be penalized because his receiver is open? Doesn’t make sense. If you want to point to some of the bad misses to Gallop I can see that. 

I don’t think we are too far off. I’m willing to let the 4th round prospect grow and have a tremendous amount of respect for the guy. Doesn’t mean I put him on a  pedestal nor get into my feels if he is  criticized. I just disagree and think a lot of the criticism (that others not named Matuski) have to say about him. 

Apologies for my part on our little spat. I still contend that I never insulted you but I could have stayed above board and handled my responses a little better. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-cowboys-contracts-dak-prescott-wants-45m-for-5th-year-what-that-means

As the latest rumor goes, unsigned QB Dak Prescott is "asking for somewhere like north of $45 million in that fifth year'' in order to finalize the long-term deal being offered him by the Dallas Cowboys.
Smart negotiating -- Dak only wants a 4 year deal, which makes sense to free him up to move teams for big money as the salary caps adjust upward after TV contracts with the league are signed at the end of 2022.

So he's asking for an insane amount of money for that 5th year.

I've never been a huge Dak believer but his stats last year don't lie, and there's a good argument he's a Top 5 QB in the league (wouldn't be my argument but it's a defensible one).

Dak might have the slightly heavier seat on this particular leverage see-saw to get him closer to that $37M/yr he is apparently asking for.

Stompin' Tom Connors said:
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-cowboys-contracts-dak-prescott-wants-45m-for-5th-year-what-that-means

Smart negotiating -- Dak only wants a 4 year deal, which makes sense to free him up to move teams for big money as the salary caps adjust upward after TV contracts with the league are signed at the end of 2022.

So he's asking for an insane amount of money for that 5th year.

I've never been a huge Dak believer but his stats last year don't lie, and there's a good argument he's a Top 5 QB in the league (wouldn't be my argument but it's a defensible one).

Dak might have the slightly heavier seat on this particular leverage see-saw to get him closer to that $37M/yr he is apparently asking for.
Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

According to the team side and Dak Prescott’s agent, the report () from

@CSimmsQB

is definitely not true. The two sides have never discussed such scenarios or anything like it. Dak wants a shorter deal, the #Cowboys want a longer one. July 15 is the deadline.

Ian Rapoport @RapSheet

According to the team side and Dak Prescott’s agent, the report () from

@CSimmsQB

is definitely not true. The two sides have never discussed such scenarios or anything like it. Dak wants a shorter deal, the #Cowboys want a longer one. July 15 is the deadline.
Thanks. Too bad for Dak and his agent; thought that would be a bit of a savvy move to up the per year amt a mil or two.

ESPN's Todd Archer reports the Cowboys' offer to Dak Prescott would make him the league's second-highest-paid quarterback annually.

The team's current offer includes a number similar to Jared Goff's $110 million guaranteed and would fall just behind Russell Wilson's $35 million annually. The Jones family has historically lived by a "deadlines make deals" mindset, so it's no surprise Prescott's side has yet to budge in any long-term negotiations. The date to monitor for any significant update remains July 15, which would force Dak to play out 2020 on the exclusive franchise tag if no long-term deal has been reached.

SOURCE: Todd Archer on Twitter

May 22, 2020, 1:03 PM ET

Love Dak at +1400 MVP odds. If Lamb hits, they are gonna be the top scoring team and he'll probably lead NFL in passing yards. He would basically just need to not throw 15+ picks (and not have Mahomes go 5000/50).

This dak prescott business is entertaining but the fact is dak is 5 and 13 against the 10 win teams he has gone against. Dak is not going to get a better offer on the free agent market, dak does not possess an elite arm, he has good qualities ie he is a good leader, no off field issues, durable and gets along well but the book on dak is stop zeke and make dak beat you and your chances are good. Jerry is offering Dak a very fair deal.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Dak Prescott is expected to sign his franchise tender on Monday.

The franchise tender is worth $31.4 million this season, but this was just step one in their ongoing contract negotiations. Both parties want to agree to a long-term contract that keeps Prescott in Dallas for the foreseeable future. Prescott and Jerry Jones have until June 15th to agree to what could be the largest contract in NFL history (at least until Patrick Mahomes signs his), but Prescott signing his tender ensures that he will have to show up to training camp on schedule. With Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup, CeeDee Lamb, Ezekiel Elliott, and a strong offensive line, we should expect Prescott to be top-five in many quarterback categories. He's the fantasy QB3 in Rotoworld's staff ranks.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Jun 21, 2020, 3:12 PM ET

ESPN's Ed Werder reports that Dak Prescott's "decision to sign the franchise tender is not an indication that a long-term agreement is close."

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported that Prescott will sign his franchise tender on Monday. That will ensure that he shows up to training camp on time and play the 2020 season in Dallas. Beyond that, things need to be worked out and time is ticking. The Cowboys and Prescott have until July 15th to sign a long-term deal this season. The two parties understand that the deal will be highly lucrative, but the structure of the contract is still being ironed out. If the salary cap shrinks due to loss of revenue from COVID-19, the Cowboys will have issues keeping other key players in 2021 if they sign Prescott right now. Of course, Prescott is their most valuable player, so he should be the priority. Expect contract rumors to leak constantly over the next month.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Jun 21, 2020, 5:42 PM ET

dak is 5 and 13 against the 10 win teams he has gone against.

Any chance you can share where you got this stat? I'd like to see where other players compare. That's a pretty high standard
I hate Dak, but I REALLY hate when people use these type of stats.  I bet the majority of QB's in the NFL have similar stats against 10 win teams.  It's like the whole "has a losing record against teams over .500" argument.  Even a lot of the best teams have losing records against teams over .500

5-13 is actually pretty good vs elite teams.

Dak Prescott is seeking a long term contract of four years, but the Cowboys want him to sign a five-year deal, per Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk.

Most importantly, the two sides must agree to a multi-year contract by July 15 now that Prescott has signed his franchise tender. From Prescott's perspective, a four-year deal bakes in the notion that the Cowboys could stretch it one or two years longer by using the franchise tag. Prescott seemingly has all the leverage, because he if does not approve of the long term offer then he simply plays on the $31.4 million tag in 2020, then a possible $37.68 million tag in 2021.

SOURCE: Pro Football Talk

Jun 22, 2020, 11:46 AM ET

Dak Prescott signed his franchise tender. 

This ensures he will at least show up for training camp on time and be under contract for the 2020 season. The franchise tag will pay him $31.4 million this season, but both sides are looking to iron things out long term. The major holdup reportedly is how many years the long-term contract should be. Prescott wants to sign a four-year deal. The Cowboys want him for five years. With the future salary cap numbers uncertain because of COVID-19, things are more complex than ever. They have until July 15th to agree to terms on a long-term deal and most outlets are reporting that they are "not close". If they don't, they will have to re-negotiate after the season. Stay tuned.

SOURCE: David Helman on Twitter

Jun 22, 2020, 3:56 PM ET

Jimmy G is not my boy.  All I said was that he is better than Dak. Which he is.  Yes, he came up short in the Super Bowl, but they don't come close to getting there without him, unless you really think they are getting the 1 seed without him. 
As much as it pains me to say this the 49ers had a better roster top to bottom than the Chiefs

They lost because they are so much weaker at the most important position

Jimmy G is awful. I feared Tannehill passing the ball in the AFC CG to AJB and a bunch of JAGs more than I ever did that bum Garroppolo throwing to Kittle, Deebo and Sanders.

His team is stacked with talent everywhere, he has a top 5 offensive mind in football and he still sucks. More so his team knows he sucks: there's a reason they refuse to consider any offers on Mullens or that Shanahan--a guy who let Matt Ryan break records airing it all over the field on the way to an MVP despite having 2 good RBs in Freeman and Coleman (before they became bad)--won't let Jimmy throw unless he absolutely has to (besides the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl--eternally grateful to Jimmy and Kyle for that)

And yes I am nearly certain they get there without him...unless you think his 6-8 for 77 yards in a blowout of the fraud Packers or 11-19 for 131 yards with a TD and pick against the Vikings’ 10 points were indispensable

Only game on their schedule they don’t win with Mullens starting is at New Orleans—the only time Jimmy has carried s*** his whole career

Dak is better. I don’t care how far they have reached in the playoffs

Jared Goff isn’t better than Matt Stafford either just because he rode peak Gurley, 3 stud WRs, and a Wade Phillips coached D to the Super Bowl. He's still a scrub

I am all for hating the Cowboys but Dak is so disrespected if people actually think frauds like Garoppolo and Goff are better than him

KChusker said:
As much as it pains me to say this the 49ers had a better roster top to bottom than the Chiefs

They lost because they are so much weaker at the most important position

Jimmy G is awful. I feared Tannehill passing the ball in the AFC CG to AJB and a bunch of JAGs more than I ever did that bum Garroppolo throwing to Kittle, Deebo and Sanders.

His team is stacked with talent everywhere, he has a top 5 offensive mind in football and he still sucks. More so his team knows he sucks: there's a reason they refuse to consider any offers on Mullens or that Shanahan--a guy who let Matt Ryan break records airing it all over the field on the way to an MVP despite having 2 good RBs in Freeman and Coleman (before they became bad)--won't let Jimmy throw unless he absolutely has to (besides the 4th quarter of the Super Bowl--eternally grateful to Jimmy and Kyle for that)

And yes I am nearly certain they get there without him...unless you think his 6-8 for 77 yards in a blowout of the fraud Packers or 11-19 for 131 yards with a TD and pick against the Vikings’ 10 points were indispensable

Only game on their schedule they don’t win with Mullens starting is at New Orleans—the only time Jimmy has carried s*** his whole career

Dak is better. I don’t care how far they have reached in the playoffs

Jared Goff isn’t better than Matt Stafford either just because he rode peak Gurley, 3 stud WRs, and a Wade Phillips coached D to the Super Bowl. He's still a scrub

I am all for hating the Cowboys but Dak is so disrespected if people actually think frauds like Garoppolo and Goff are better than him
What is the 49ers record under Kyle Shanahan when Garoppolo doesn't start?

With great talent around him, we've seen what Garoppolo can do - very good production and a trip to the Super Bowl.

Meanwhile, with great talent around him last year and playing in a much weaker division than the NFC West, Dak went .500 and came up short in most of the big games they had.  He had 4 gimmes against the Giants and Washington and still could only carry his team to 8-8.  And we have already seen how limited Dak is without great talent (when Zeke missed games due to suspension and Dak was dreadful more often than not). 

With great talent around him, we've seen what Garoppolo can do - very good production and a trip to the Super Bowl.

Meanwhile, with great talent around him last year and playing in a much weaker division than the NFC West, Dak went .500 and came up short in most of the big games they had.  He had 4 gimmes against the Giants and Washington and still could only carry his team to 8-8.  And we have already seen how limited Dak is without great talent (when Zeke missed games due to suspension and Dak was dreadful more often than not). 
Man I could not disagree with this more. The narrative against Dak is a tidal wave at this point.

Garrapolo is god awful. 

Man I could not disagree with this more. The narrative against Dak is a tidal wave at this point.

Garrapolo is god awful. 
I think the problem is that far too many talk up Dak like he is a top 5 player at the position, when he clearly is not.  He is a good QB, one I'd put in the 9-15 range (give or take, opinions are ever-changing).  I would also put Garappolo in the same tier, and just a shade higher than Dak when ranking the players in that specific tier.  Jimmy G is not great, but this talk that he is "god awful" or "awful" just doesn't pass the sniff test. 

Top tier: Mahomes

Second tier: R. Wilson, Brees, D. Watson

Third tier: L. Jackson, Rodgers, Wentz, Brady

Fourth tier (9-15): Ryan, Garappolo, Dak, Cousins, Rivers, Stafford, Ben

Need to see how Ben looks again first before he goes back up to tier 3. That looks about right, and as always, your mileage may vary.   I suspect K. Murray will make a leap in one of those tiers soon, but he needs to do it first. Goff's mediocrity has been on display ever since Gurley stop being all-world.

I think the problem is that far too many talk up Dak like he is a top 5 player at the position, when he clearly is not.  He is a good QB, one I'd put in the 9-15 range (give or take, opinions are ever-changing).  I would also put Garappolo in the same tier, and just a shade higher than Dak when ranking the players in that specific tier.  Jimmy G is not great, but this talk that he is "god awful" or "awful" just doesn't pass the sniff test. 

Need to see how Ben looks again first before he goes back up to tier 3. That looks about right, and as always, your mileage may vary.   I suspect K. Murray will make a leap in one of those tiers soon, but he needs to do it first. Goff's mediocrity has been on display ever since Gurley stop being all-world.
My comment on Garrapolo is probably the same thing as what I'm faulting others for doing with Dak. I've just never been impressed by anything he does.

He was really bad before he got hurt a season ago and last year he was a game manager with an all-world running attack. The only game I've seen him play well was in the shoot-out with New Orleans but I havent watched every game he's played. Just seems way, way overrated to me and looks more like a bottom 10 qb whenever I watch him play.

Is this happening? Cause all I ever hear and read the is polar opposite. 

I can get behind those rankings. 

I don't think anyone is talking about him in the top 5 QB's in the league though?  From a fantasy standpoint... yes many do have him ranked that high.  But i think most people would put him in the 9-15 range you have him in.

I can get behind those rankings. 

I don't think anyone is talking about him in the top 5 QB's in the league though?  From a fantasy standpoint... yes many do have him ranked that high.  But i think most people would put him in the 9-15 range you have him in.

Wentz has become so overrated since his 2017. He is a good QB but no way is he in a tier with Lamar and Brady. I’ll take Ryan and Stafford all day over him. People just see his WRs and pretend he doesn’t have two of the best TEs in the game and an elite OL

Not sure current Rodgers is above the fourth tier either

Tannehill should be in tier 4 and Garoppolo is tier 5 below all these guys to me

Good list overall though. Can’t argue with the top 2 tiers

The 2017 and 2018 49ers talent wise are not the 2019 version—like at all

Their defense grew into a monster, and Kittle became Kittle

The 49ers are more talented than the Cowboys and frankly more talented than any team in the NFL. Cowboys have them beat at RB and WR. That’s about it. When Zeke was out Dak’s weapons were Cole Beasley, Terrance Williams, washed Witten and washed Dez who has since found no offers around the league.

If he had Cooper and Gallup the results would have been very different

And I notice in surroundings you aren’t taking into account coaching

Jimmy G is slightly Blake Bortles with better coaching and more offensive talent

If I was starting a franchise I’d take Darnold or Dan Jones before even touching Garoppolo

Wentz has become so overrated since his 2017. He is a good QB but no way is he in a tier with Lamar and Brady. I’ll take Ryan and Stafford all day over him. People just see his WRs and pretend he doesn’t have two of the best TEs in the game and an elite OL

Not sure current Rodgers is above the fourth tier either

Tannehill should be in tier 4 and Garoppolo is tier 5 below all these guys to me

Good list overall though. Can’t argue with the top 2 tiers
Sure you can pick them apart, but I like them generally.  As for Wentz, as much as you say he's overrated, I'd say he's been underrated since 2017.  His dropoff has been grossly exaggerated since he had such amazing numbers in 2017. 

In terms of QBR (not everything), he finished 1st in 2017, 12th in 2018, and 11th in 2019 (Brady was 3rd, 6th, and 17th), (Dak 4th, 17th, and 4th).  Carson has consistently been up there, and yes he has 2 great tight ends but the WR's were generationally bad.  Still easily overall had a poor receiving corps compared to NFL average, even including those tight ends.  Brady has also dropped off (we could debate this all day).

I'd personally go:

Tier 1: Mahomes

Tier 2:  R. Wilson, Brees, D. Watson, L. Jackson

Tier 3:  Rodgers,  Brady

Tier 3.5:  Wentz, Dak, Ryan (these guys could go up or down depending on this season)

Tier 4:  Cousins, Rivers, Stafford, Ben

The 2017 and 2018 49ers talent wise are not the 2019 version—like at all

Their defense grew into a monster, and Kittle became Kittle

The 49ers are more talented than the Cowboys and frankly more talented than any team in the NFL. Cowboys have them beat at RB and WR. That’s about it. When Zeke was out Dak’s weapons were Cole Beasley, Terrance Williams, washed Witten and washed Dez who has since found no offers around the league.

If he had Cooper and Gallup the results would have been very different

And I notice in surroundings you aren’t taking into account coaching

Jimmy G is slightly Blake Bortles with better coaching and more offensive talent

If I was starting a franchise I’d take Darnold or Dan Jones before even touching Garoppolo
Kittle was awesome in 2018 as well (without Jimmy G for most of it).   Their defense was above average in 2018 as well, and it's funny how much better it can look once its team has a good QB that can actually lead the offense to points, to where the defense plays with a lead more often than not.

Re: coaching, can I make the argument that Jimmy G went 13-3 in 2019 with a head coach who was 10-22 in his first two seasons, and interestingly, in that 10-22 run in '17 and '18, the 49ers went 6-3 when Garappolo started and 4-19 when he didn't, and this was when the 49ers, by your words, weren't as talented. See what I mean?  Garappolo's value to the 49ers is pretty clear at this point.  The biggest problem with him so far is his durability (he got hurt in both 2016 and 2018), which is probably why the 49ers are hanging to Mullens at his backup (despite his poor record when he had to play). Same thing with the Eagles and Wentz (who is far better), and why they keep a quality backup since Wentz has durability issues as well. 

Dallas Morning News' Calvin Watkins reports the Cowboys and Dak Prescott are "not close" to a long-term contact.

They have until July 15 to agree to terms, otherwise Prescott will play out the 2020 season on the franchise tag. That would mean Prescott is betting on himself once again. Playing seasons on the franchise tag is certainly lucrative -- he'd be eligible for a second franchise tag next season, too -- but there's no long-term guarantees. Both parties likely want structure, but Prescott isn't going to settle for anything less than $35 million annually. The Patrick Mahomes contract certainly elevated Prescott's leverage. We'll see if Jerry Jones improves his offerings early this week.

SOURCE: Calvin Watkins on Twitter

Jul 12, 2020, 5:57 PM ET

Sure you can pick them apart, but I like them generally.  As for Wentz, as much as you say he's overrated, I'd say he's been underrated since 2017.  His dropoff has been grossly exaggerated since he had such amazing numbers in 2017. 

In terms of QBR (not everything), he finished 1st in 2017, 12th in 2018, and 11th in 2019 (Brady was 3rd, 6th, and 17th), (Dak 4th, 17th, and 4th).  Carson has consistently been up there, and yes he has 2 great tight ends but the WR's were generationally bad.  Still easily overall had a poor receiving corps compared to NFL average, even including those tight ends.  Brady has also dropped off (we could debate this all day).

I'd personally go:

Tier 1: Mahomes

Tier 2:  R. Wilson, Brees, D. Watson, L. Jackson

Tier 3:  Rodgers,  Brady

Tier 3.5:  Wentz, Dak, Ryan (these guys could go up or down depending on this season)

Tier 4:  Cousins, Rivers, Stafford, Ben
Not that its really the point, I just enjoy a good rankings debate, but I think if I were tiering the leagues QB's, I'd go:

The Elite/Tier 1: Mahomes, Wilson, Brees, Jackson

Franchise QB's/Tier 2: Watson, Rodgers, Brady, Prescott, Ryan, Roethlisberger

Solid starters/Tier 3: Wentz, Cousins, Rivers, Stafford, Mayfield, Carr, Garoppolo, Tannehill

I think Prescott's camp gets zero leverage from the Mahomes deal, as they aren't the same caliber QB. Hell, the dropoff from Mahomes to Prescott might be just as big as the dropoff from Prescott to Dalton. That said, I do think Prescott has been a better player than Wentz every year except 2017. Wentz case, whether it is fair or not, gets hurt by the fact that Foles won the playoff games, and Foles won the Super Bowl. 

Not that its really the point, I just enjoy a good rankings debate, but I think if I were tiering the leagues QB's, I'd go:

The Elite/Tier 1: Mahomes, Wilson, Brees, Jackson

Franchise QB's/Tier 2: Watson, Rodgers, Brady, Prescott, Ryan, Roethlisberger

Solid starters/Tier 3: Wentz, Cousins, Rivers, Stafford, Mayfield, Carr, Garoppolo, Tannehill

I think Prescott's camp gets zero leverage from the Mahomes deal, as they aren't the same caliber QB. Hell, the dropoff from Mahomes to Prescott might be just as big as the dropoff from Prescott to Dalton. That said, I do think Prescott has been a better player than Wentz every year except 2017. Wentz case, whether it is fair or not, gets hurt by the fact that Foles won the playoff games, and Foles won the Super Bowl. 
I won't get into the Dak vs Wentz debate because I know Cowboys/'Eagles fans get very heated about it but neither is a full tier ahead of the other to me

T1: Mahomes, Wilson

T2: Lamar, Brees, Watson, 

T3: Brady, Ryan, Stafford

T4: Dak, Wentz, Rodgers, (maybe a mini tier break here) Roethisberger, Rivers, Tannehill, Cousins

Don't know what Baker Mayfield and Derek Carr are doing on a list like this. Those guys are gonna be out of a starting job in a year.

Kittle was awesome in 2018 as well (without Jimmy G for most of it).   Their defense was above average in 2018 as well, and it's funny how much better it can look once its team has a good QB that can actually lead the offense to points, to where the defense plays with a lead more often than not.

Re: coaching, can I make the argument that Jimmy G went 13-3 in 2019 with a head coach who was 10-22 in his first two seasons, and interestingly, in that 10-22 run in '17 and '18, the 49ers went 6-3 when Garappolo started and 4-19 when he didn't, and this was when the 49ers, by your words, weren't as talented. See what I mean?  Garappolo's value to the 49ers is pretty clear at this point.  The biggest problem with him so far is his durability (he got hurt in both 2016 and 2018), which is probably why the 49ers are hanging to Mullens at his backup (despite his poor record when he had to play). Same thing with the Eagles and Wentz (who is far better), and why they keep a quality backup since Wentz has durability issues as well. 
The 2018 49ers with Garoppolo barely beat an awful Lions team and got smacked by the 8-7-1 Vikings and 12-4 Chiefs. They were not on track to be anything remotely like the 2019 version Garoppolo or no Garoppolo. 2017 was impressive; a small sample size partially affected by teams not having tape on him, but nonetheless impressive.

Not sure where you are getting that the 49ers defense was anything like they were this season though: I vividly remember 9ers fans wanting Robert Saleh fired

As for coaching: I don't like resorting to the eye test but it is pretty obvious to me that Kyle Shanahan is a great coach. Bad coaches don't have an elite running game with a discarded UDFA as their best back.

If Garoppolo is good then why did Shanny trust Matt Ryan to sling the ball around all season in 2016 and break records but literally only calls passes when forced to, despite having worse RBs today?

And when he finally trusted Garoppolo in the Super Bowl....Kansas City thanks him for it

You say Garoppolo can make the Super Bowl when everything is perfect while Dak goes 8-8 as if the Cowboys talent and coaching was anything like the Niners. Cowboys were equal at OL, better at WR and RB and worse at literally every other position group: TE, DL, LBs, CBs, Safeties with Jason Garrett instead of the guy who orchestrated one of the best offenses of the 2000s in Atlanta

This arguement can be flipped pretty easily too: Blake Bortles came as close as you possibly can to going to the Super Bowl with a far worse offensive supporting cast than Jimmy G had, worse coaching and maybe a slightly better defense. Is he also better than Dak/Stafford/Rivers/etc? Because they haven't been to a Super Bowl after all

I know what I saw from Jimmy G: when it mattered most, I was praying for him to have the ball against my team; he got it, and did exactly what I expected him to

49ers had the better roster through and through but unlike the other playoff games they needed Jimmy to cover up how terrible he is for just a little longer: he could not

If we still disagree fine but statistically Dak has an advantage in just about everything on Garoppolo and has done quite a bit of winning considering how screwed the Cowboys appeared with Romo's injuries going into 2016 despite never having a roster as stacked as last year's 9ers were

Users who are viewing this thread